Bmi Urban Awards... mike didnt appear

Michael isn't only a singer.He to interprets the songs.We could know when a song is sad, joyful, tragic, anger....MJ sings with soul.For that their voice is exciting.

PS:Storm???

lol...i don't consider singing, playing instruments, writing and producing to be the only legitimate musical talents out there....

and i have not heard from Lauryn Hill in a while..and i don't like too many of the songs that were written for her, whether she wrote them or not. to each their own, though.:)

lol...well...you know...people can debate ad infinitum on what tpain has and doesn't have...

they can decide who is a pioneer and not a pioneer...there will always be somebody who will come in and say their pioneer was better than your pioneer. talk about a cobweb....

pass up too many giftwrapped boxes that seem small...and you miss out on the diamonds.

tpain has a gift...and...that's all that matters to me. and he has another greater gift..passing up all the negativity, to become successful, rather than wallow in a pity party, listening to all the whispers in his ears and becoming something negative. now THAT is a rarity...especially coming from an oppressed neighborhood. and because of that, his first musical gift has become greater. i can't tell you how many times i listened to 'bartender'.

wtfce1.gif

and i have not heard from Lauryn Hill in a while..
mental breakdown, from the spotlight. she could have been much bigger because she has the unique talent that allows longevity (which she still has because many still talk about her even though she ain't made a record since a decade ago).

Lauryn became an international superstar. She couldn't go to the grocery store without makeup and I think that had an adverse effect on her. We had a huge year at the Grammys and then Carlos Santana had the big year next year and she presented for Carlos. It wasn't so much the amount of records we sold but how we sold them — we didn't put out six singles, seven videos, do every TV talk show and just milk it. We marketed and presented her as a classy, genuine person and that resonated and that's why we're still talking about it 'til this day.

Jayson Jackson (former manager, Lauryn Hill)

So he doesn't want to show up celebrating the achievement his family made altogether because he's so tired of being joked on from people but can show up randomly at Planet Hollywood wearing pajama pants?

Just saying

So? Jermaine didn't show up either. You make it seemed as though it was a damn requirement for MJ to come. MJ did not even confirmed if he was gonna be there. Jermaine did. Then all of the sudden, Jermaine decided not to show up. So, let's examine why.

Just saying.

I am shocked that People.com didn't even do a negative article about the event.

Saw the E! News report and I think it was best MJ didn't show up since samantha harris mentioning the jackson family minus michael instead of the jackson family minus michael and jermaine.

I am not shocked by E! Just laughable. Jermaine did not go either. Why say that, E!? Fools.

Without MJ the whole thing is pointless! the main talent that made Jackson 5 was Michael!

Really? So, the Jacksons being honored was pointless because MJ did not show up? Like Mello said, MJ does not do those types of things anymore. Let it go.

Last edited:
"I don't like to use compressors and take away my textures, because I was raised on music that was recorded before technology advanced to the place where it could be smooth. I wanna hear that thickness of sound. You can't get that from a computer, because a computer's too perfect. But that human element, that's what makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I love that."

Man, Lauryn, COME BACK!!! LOL! Please, come back! Real music lovers need to hear your voice again.

mate, T-Pain doesn't even know that his producers used AutoTune on his voice.

Wow, it is THAT bad in music. Damn.

They are aren't they? As I said earlier, I was disappointed that MJ wasn't in the lineup but then changed my mind as I saw the brothers basking in the limelight. Like Mello said, just maybe MJ stayed away so that his family wouldn't be overshadowed. I must say that I am getting a new found respect for Janet. I like the way she loves and respects her brothers. You can feel the love. What a lucky woman.
I agree....

Last edited:
Really? So, the Jacksons being honored was pointless because MJ did not show up? Like Mello said, MJ does not do those types of things anymore. Let it go.

I didn't say MJ should attened, I said the main talent of the Jacksons is MJ! without him, they could not reach the fame they have nowadays.... take a chill pill!

I didn't say MJ should attened, I said the main talent of the Jacksons is MJ! without him, they could not reach the fame they have nowadays.... take a chill pill!
Still, the family is talented WITHOUT Michael. How many families in the music has had as many hits as the Jacksons? Every family who's released a single has charted on either the Billboard Hot 100 or R&B chart

just the same way the family wouldn't have been as famous about Michael, Michael wouldn't have been as famous if it wasn't for his family:cheeky:

Still, the family is talented WITHOUT Michael. How many families in the music has had as many hits as the Jacksons? Every family who's released a single has charted on either the Billboard Hot 100 or R&B chart

just the same way the family wouldn't have been as famous about Michael, Michael wouldn't have been as famous if it wasn't for his family:cheeky:

we don't really know about what ifs. we only know about what is.:)

Except for Tito, all the other Jackson siblings have had a single on the R&B chart, about eight of them had a charted single on the pop chart (except for Jackie, Tito, Marlon and Randy), lol.

Boy, the Jacksons wouldn't have been famous if Joe Jackson had decided to get out of Gary, Indiana and sign with MOTOWN RECORDS. :lol:

I think if Michael wanted to become an entertainer, he would have, regardless of whether he had gotten an early start, with or without a group. Most of the most successful solo artists in the world reached stardom as adults, not children, and without the backing of a family act. There's nothing to suggest that Michael couldn't have done the same thing, especially considering he's more talented then anyone.

Jermaine Jackson was no slouch playing that bass guitar at age 13, Tito was no mean guitarist either. Jermaine was a excellent vocalist. If the songs were made for his voice, who knows what would have happened to the group without Michael. Marlon was one of the most charismatic character in that group. The brothers are all very charming. Each one have special talents. Berry Gordy was grooming Jermaine to take over from Marvin Gaye, and he knows talent when he sees one. There is no need to downplay the brothers to big up Michael. There are not many talents that comopares to him, but he also leaned much of his skills from being with his brothers. The group was formed before him, so there were talents there. Randy created the music for the classic,'Shake your body'. The group wrote some very wonderful tunes. There is no need to put them down.:no:
I just copied this from a poster from another board;

QUOTE from John Rich "Jermaine Jackson really blew me away," "He wrote one of the best songs I've ever heard - not one of the best songs on this show, but one of the best songs I've ever heard. This is a very, very serious musician. This guy can play three or four instruments, still sings great, looks great, wrote a great song. He really surprised me, because I didn't know what I was going to get."

Last edited:
I know of one family who could match or outmatch, depending on your opinion, their talent (back in the day they could also dance but they stop once they became a "band" per se):

isley-brothers.jpg

They were arguably the greatest R&B family group that emerged in fifty years. And I say arguably because there were other family acts (besides the Jacksons) that emerged with success: The Sylvers, the Gibbs (Bee Gees), the Stairsteps, Tavares, DeBarge, etc.

Timmy shouldn't that be in the best family of all time thread? i thought this was about the Jacksons only?

I do not mind that other families are talented. I just feel very offended when MJ fans put down the Jackson brothers and call them untalented. It is bad enough that they are competing with one of the greatest talents in the world that just happen to be their brother, but that family did a lot of behind the scenes work. Marlon was the choreographer in the family and that choreography is still copied throught the world. I was blown away when I saw Missy Elliot doing a Jacksons choreography. Some of the best disco songs of the 70's were written by Jackie and Randy. Marlon wrote and produced songs. Jermaine duet on Whitney Huston first album and he wrote and produced iot too. it was a massive hit. Just because the media doesn't focus onj them or they are media shy doesn't mean they are untalented. There is no need to put them down to build up Michael. Michael towers over everybody.

No ones putting them down, they're just saying that without Michael, they're very average and wouldn't have made it, which is true. Randy and Jermaine are talented, and Jackie is a pretty decent song writer. Michael, Marlon and Jackie did the choreography for the group along with Motown staff. Michael is the exceptional element of the group. Without him, there are many, many people and groups with the same talent level, with Michael, there's no group that can match them.

No ones putting them down, they're just saying that without Michael, they're very average and wouldn't have made it, which is true. Randy and Jermaine are talented, and Jackie is a pretty decent song writer. Michael, Marlon and Jackie did the choreography for the group along with Motown staff. Michael is the exceptional element of the group. Without him, there are many, many people and groups with the same talent level, with Michael, there's no group that can match them.

Exactly. Actually during their Motown era, I always thought they were a mixture of the Isleys, Temptations and Commodores due to their singing (Isleys), dancing (Temptations) and musicianship (Commodores, the Isleys' 3 + 3 period). :yes:

All the Jackson boys were/are bad-asses as musicians, just compared to MICHAEL, they're "average". They ain't slouches but they ain't "geniuses", lol.

Right Timmy. That's all I mean. I don't think they're talentless, just not exceptionally talented. There are many family groups that, as a whole, are better. The Bee Gees, The Isleys, etc... The Jacksons are a very good group, they blend really well and by the mid 70s were very tight in terms of choreographey and singing, but I'm just saying that Michael is what made them stand out, he's what got them out of Gary along with Joe's direction, period.

Last edited:

Whatever, man. MJ was the heart and soul of the group, heck, he was the group, but he was not the main talent. There were other talents in the group. So, you take a chill pill.

Exactly. Which is why I can't understand why they can just tour without Mike. They can take Janet.

Marlon was one of the most charismatic character in that group

You mean, Michael, right? Marlon had a hard time getting the dance moves. According to the movie. He was an alright singer.

Randy created the music for the classic

Yeah, Randy was/is a good musician. A lot of fans do not know about that. If he was more focus on that than other things, Randy would be alright.

Some fans feel "important" when they downplay the other talents in the Jackson family and bring up Mike's talents. It is really ashame when you think about it. People really do not understand why BMI Urban gave the icon award to the Jacksons, not just Michael. They gave it to the JACKSONS. Without the Jacksons, MJ wouldn't be here enjoying the anniversaries relating to Thriller which made him a certified legend.

I don't think they're talentless, just not exceptionally talented

Really? Well, if that was the case, why did you agree to what the Andrew Ryan poster said about MJ being the main talent? You were basically agreeing with the poster's implication that the brothers are not the talent in the Jacksons, just Michael.

Last edited:
You know it's funny now but when the Jackson 5 signed with Motown in 1968, Berry Gordy decided NOT to let Tito and Jermaine play their instruments on their records. Motown's Funk Brothers (first album only at Hitsville USA) and the Wrecking Crew (the Hitsville West musicians) played the instruments. The Jacksons didn't really play on their records until 1976. On stage they did show people that there was more to them than the 3-minute pop staples but it had become very limiting during their time in Motown.

When Tito said that "their music" influenced people I do not agree.The music, lyrics, the choreography, the choice of clothing and everything else in the J5 was the Motown who choise.Tito and the other brothers did their music and choreography when were to CBS.That songs, in my opinion, are them.If it influenced?I don't know.But I know that Jacskons are wonderful artists.I really respect them...

When Tito said that "their music" influenced people I do not agree.The music, lyrics, the choreography, the choice of clothing and everything else in the J5 was the Motown who choise.Tito and the other brothers did their music and choreography when were to CBS.That songs, in my opinion, are them.If it influenced?I don't know.But I know that Jacskons are wonderful artists.I really respect them...

The Jacksons' commercial success did pave the way for further acceptance of black pop, I think Tito meant their post-Motown work, which I agree was influential to modern popular music, though it's quite limited compared to someone like, say, the Isley Brothers or James Brown, as I said. In comparison, Michael Jackson (and to a short extent, sister Janet) has arguably had more influence on the development of contemporary R&B than the Jacksons as a whole did.

The Jackson 5's success was partly because of Michael and Jermaine's lead vocals, the Jacksons' harmony parts, and also mainly because of the marketing genius of Berry Gordy, who made The Supremes and The Temptations who they became in the sixties. The Jackson 5 were Motown puppets though when looking at it in the long run and unlike Marvin and Stevie they were unable to convince Berry Gordy that they had more talent than they were allowed to.

Back