Could Michael Jackson be a Religion?? (NOT comparing MJ to God, closer to religion like Buddha (?))

PurpleParrot

Proud Member
It may sound completely silly for some people, but I think it can be an interesting subject.

In a biography from Lee McClaren I have at home, the author often refers to religious toughts when talking about Michael. It is said that Jehovas witnesses once wrote that Michael was the coming back of the Christ and that once there was an article on 'Christian Today' or something like that saying the same thing (probably in the 80').

Let me say that: I'm not a believer, I actually don't believe in God.

Now, when I see Michael's legacy, I see an innocent man who just tried to teach people how to love how to respect each other, save the planet and everything. When I look at fans, I see devoted people who follow their leader and support him during hard times, always believing in him.

People used to laugh at Jesus for telling he was King of Jews.. People used to laugh at Michael for telling he was the King of Pop. Michael loved children and loved to be surrounded by them. Didn't Jesus said something like ''let the children come to me'' or something like that? (sorry, I just know this sentence in french).

When I was often chatting with other fans like 10 years ago, I often tought that being a Michael Jackson fan was like being a part of a religion; You believe in him, in what he does, you try to follow his every step knowing you'll not be better than him even if you try to, you gather with other fans to be able to say what you want to say, to show your love without being ridiculed by others, you collect many things, images, videos and look at it often...

I read messages on that forum where many people (I include myself) believes that Michael is now an angel up there and watches on us. I've read a thread where there is a comparision made with Lazarus about a coming back to life. When I read all the posts (including mine) of the fans who suffer so much from the passing of Michael, I can't tell myself that it's just because he made good music and did good things in his life. We are following that guy, we are devoted to that man, we wanted to see him, to touch him, to hug him, to have a conversation with him. Some of us did and will always be grateful for that, and for others, like me, who never met the man, it's very painful. Can we really be so much in pain and emptyness because of the passing of an artist? Yes, because he was much more than that, he was our ''Guru''. When Michael was still alive, I used to look at the moon in the evening and talk to her and talk to Michael. Now that he has passed, many people here look at the sky and the stars in the night and talks to Michael. It's comforting isn't it?

When Michael passed, I felt like I didn't want to see anybody, then I came here and talked with you and felt better. I said to myself that it would be good if there was a place, like a building with appartments or something, where the fans could live together while they have difficulty coping with Michael's passing, where we could comfort each other without having to face others judging, and then leave when we feel better.. I'd actually love a place like that.

Now.. when Jesus died it took something like what.. 100 years before some people decided to really write about him, how good he was, what he has done for the world (Hey, I'm not a believer but I had a very interesting Christianity class in University!).. so, sometimes I ask myself, in 100 years or even before, could there be a person who consider Michael Jackson as a prophet, hard enough to start a movement which could one day become a religion?

Yes, I sometimes ask myself this question... and you know what, even if I'm not a believer, if that 'religion' would exists, I think I would be a part of it.

Is that too much? I don't think, since I consider religion as following the steps of the person who you think did it right. I'm not saying Michael is the coming back of the Christ or anything, I'm talking about the possibility that one day there could maybe be a Religion about Michael Jackson. Or is there already one, who knows?

I'm curious about having your opinion on that one, so?

Last edited:
Reactions: SJK
Re: Could Michael Jackson be a Religion??

Can I please just say that this is one of the most interesting and thoughtful posts I've read on this board since I joined. :)

I studied religion in school for several years and you are right, the way in which most of Michaels fans regard him it could very well be compared to the dynamic of what constitutes a "religion" of sorts.

The only and most important difference I think though is that there was no specific doctrines set out to be followed. So that doesn't make it exactly religious.

But yes you are absolutely correct that Michael had/has an enormous following.

Michael's music was good, but there are lots of artists who make good music and are also charismatic. He was so different in my opinion because he had a MESSAGE of truth, hope and love and that is what separates him from the rest of the entertainers in the world.

He didn't shove it down anyone's throat, he didn't parade and preen his feathers like some prized peacock, he shared his words honestly from the heart and he did his good deeds quietly and without fanfare.

He also made it very clear that he didn't think he was better than anybody else. As far back as his days with the Jackson 5 he was intent on telling us he's just like us:

"We're all the same, yes the blood inside of me is inside of you...now tell me, can you feel it?" - Michael Jackson

Michael wasn't God, but he indeed was very God-like in his behavior. He basically tried to show/tell us all that we can change the world. Each and every one of us. He was one man and did SO much for us all. Imagine if we all tried like that?

I for one don't see anything wrong with anyone emulating Michael for the person he was at his core because he was a truly beautiful and caring man who loved the world. I personally do it everyday and I see it as just a continuation of God's work because he was trying to be "like" God is his actions as well.

I know in my heart he was touched by God in a special way and I do believe that he was an angel walking among us and that he's an angel now as well. His spirit was VERY powerful I think even by "normal" human standards that can apply to most of us here.

I'll continue to honor Michael as a fan for his talent and also as a fan of him as just another one of us human beings too.

It would be very cool to look into the future and see what the perception of him will be then, because I know he will be remembered forever.

On a last note though....how cool would it be for real if Jesus came back as the most famous pop star in the world? I'd go to his concert...hehe :D

Thanks again for posting this.

I think he already is held in a god-like way to the very extremes by some die hard fanatics! I guess the reason he is so revered and different from other stars is because he had such a purity and innocence about him. He was different to other famous people. I think it's unhealthy to have such a heavy obsession, and i would know because i used to be one of those obsessed fanatics.
It's fine to see him as someone of high stature, and to think he's incredible and amazing even. But i don't think it's ok to treat him like god. That's just getting ridiculous. He is a human being and i think he wanted to be treated like one most of all too.

Now death has consummated him. We wanted him to live forever, and well, we pretty much got it. He is more of a godlike figure than ever now, although he already was before too.

But i don't think it's ok to treat him like god. That's just getting ridiculous. He is a human being and i think he wanted to be treated like one most of all too.

Just to be clear, I never compared Michael to God, I just talked about prophets, like Jesus is not God, Mohammed is not God either but they both have their own religion. Just wanted to clarify that ;)

Ive often thought of this.

Michael was quoted on the oprah show as wanting to be 'like jesus' - not that he wanted to BE jesus, just follow his teachings and follow in his footsteps as a good person... I now look to Michael for guidance on how to be a good person - he taught me alot over the years and helped me onto a better path and I have an overwhelming desire to follow in HIS footsteps ad help to spread love, peace and charity around the world. BUT, Im not saying i follow him like i would follow a religion (I dont follow any by the way!)

but it IS confusing, Human beings are selfish and unkind, even the best of us can be callous... but despite not being 'perfect' in some respect, michael always put others before himself. I know and witnessed that he was a human being who made mistakes but he also did so much good in this world. He changed the lives and of so many people and saved mine. He is an inspiration and although Im not religious i DO believe that on a spiritual level he was a gift to us, whether something higher gave us that gift, or michael as a caring person gave himself as a gift is open for debate... but I know that for the rest of my life I will love and be grateful for such a wonderful blessing he has been in my life. Whether he was a prophet (for the religious amongst us) or a wonderful role model (for the athiests of us), he was first and foremost a caring, loving and giving man, who deserves to be celebrated by those of us who's lives were blessed by him.

Sounds kinda silly, but it is a good idea, but I think he can be a religion. God will always be on top.

Nice message Danniilee, I share your thoughts on that one.

Please keep your opinions coming, I think this is really interesting.

Yeah this is a really good thread i think. There was this tabloid article on celebrityfix.com ages ago before Michaels passing about fans who genuinely believed that he was an angel disguised in human form.
I feel weird about this. That's just deluded. Michael was an incredible and fantastic human being, but there is no such thing as reincarnations of angels, animals etc. I think that is just silly. But thats just my opinion.

but there is no such thing as reincarnations of angels, animals etc. I think that is just silly. But thats just my opinion.

How do you know?

Yeah, I think Jacksonism is a bit too far. He was only human, but he was a great one. Those with obsessions for Michael would take it to a religious level.

How do you know?

Yeah, I think Jacksonism is a bit too far. He was only human, but he was a great one. Those with obsessions for Michael would take it to a religious level.

I don't, but neither does anyone. So my opinion is just as valid as the next!

Without any dis-respect to Christianity, I found MJ and Jesus shared some similarities:-

1. Had a huge loving heart
2. Had their die hard followers (fans and apostles)
3. Accused of crimes that they never committed
4. Both are kings (heaven / pop)
5. Gone too soon :(

Frankly, I find this notion slightly disturbing. It's true that some fans practise following their idol almost at a religious level, but that's not how it should be. You can admire and be inspired by someone without actually worshipping him. I don't believe in religion, period. But I realise some people find comfort in it, and that's the main reason why the world needs religion. However, I think that mankind would benefit a lot more from Michael's influence if he be considered human not superhuman. If we build him up to be some prophet or godlike figure, then we will always be looking UP to him instead of looking him straight in the eyes and saying "if you can do it, I can do it". Instead of worshipping him and preaching his message, we should have confidence in ourselves to also be capable of making a difference and helping people like Michael did. If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and then make a change.

There are many books written on the subject of incarnated angels actually (even though angels belong in a total different category from the human souls). I personally believe Michael was a Lightworker (an enlightened human soul working for the highest good).
But back on topic, in a way Michael WOULD fit the criteria of starting a religion. God always sends people to help humanity. But Michael was not a prophet or a saint literally (maybe metaphorically). And his soul was totally human, that's why a religion in his name would never be created.

haha lol...ok. When i first read the title, i was like Dang. but then i read ur point of view and i actually wanna give my opinion on it.

Well, Michael has always said that he tries to imitate Jesus. he'd said to be "God-like, Not Like-God". His message has been a lot similar to the bible's teachings. The thing about Michael is that he didnt care What religion, race, gender, age or if u were gay or streight, or had an illness or not. He only cared about Giving Hope and Love, peace and caring to ALL.

Now i'd Never compare Michael to Jesus. but I'd say he's as close to a Perfect human being as it can get. Now he had some troubles in his life, so did Jesus. And in that they are similar, and how the public rediculed Jesus, it comes kinda close to Michael.

Some other thing is that, Michael was appealing to everyone at one time. He redefined what being human was. Meaning, He made us see that the OUTSIDE of us dont matter.

I guess a 100 years from now, ppl. Might think Michael was a prophet(which, i guess he was) using his music to unite people and making us love one another. But i'll tell you this for sure, Right now, Michael is with God, and Jesus and they are surrounding him with Love and care. He has no more worries now. He's at peace.

Carine Thankyou for this thread. It gets us all thinking

Love,
Romi

Michael is only a human, he lived his life as we all should. The way Jesus lived his. Michael as a religon is non-sense. Michael wouldn't want this title. He had a very personal relationship with God and cherrished it. He knew where all his blessing and talent came from.

Do I beleive Michael was an Angel sent to us from God. Yes I do.

God knows of all the suffering that we endure on this earth. Some of which a self inflicted. But why should children have to suffer at the hands of others. There are so many children out there that have nothing, and no one cares about them. So God sent angel to care for them and protect them. Cause no one else seems to give a damn. All the money and this world and children are starving. It's ridicoulous it makes no sense. How this world could have such little disregard for the well being of innocent children, who by the way did not ask to brought in this world. If everyone did just 1/8 th of what Michael did i bet there would be no child who wanted for anything. Michael was so unique and there will never be another like him. He tried his best to live his life as Jesus lived his, but was he perfect, No. Was he free of Sin, No. No one is, but thank God for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ The Most Amazing human being to every walk this earth, we are able to ask God for forgiveness. Which I am true Michael did this.

And I pray that anyone that had any hand in hurting Michael in anyway are on their hands and knees begging for forgiveness. Because not only did you hurt a wonderful human being, you hurt one of Gods Angels whom he sent to us as a blessing and to make the world a better place.

When I go to church, I always think of Michael when I sing the songs or pray...

Some people [christians] may consider it idolatry...but I don't.

He's the image I get when I think of Jesus Christ.

Even though the peasant robes, bare feet, golden eyes, long hair, long beard image of Jesus is very popular in media....I always imagine he would have looked like Michael.

The same innocence in the eyes.

And the same emotions of being torn between "human temptations" and "spiritual missions" you know?

So for me, my savior....is Michael.

People have so many names for God in this world now. They even start wars in the name of God and religion.

But you know, I have stopped reading any news about Michael and basically anything negative or whatever.

I'm done.

He is the God I worship. I love.

For me, he is the son of God.

He is Jesus.

For me.

Perhaps an image of Jesus.

There were many down the line.

Mahatma Gandhi.

Martin Luther. King

Krishna.

many.

Michael is the one I believe in.

and yes. I am a christian too.

This is very interesting and to be honest I've thought about the stuff that Michael has gone through all of his life and especially since the 1993 allegations were brought up.

First of all, Michael has always said that all of his talents, music, creativity is from God and he is just an instrument of God to express what God wants him to express. He has always given credit to God/Jehovah.

We all know that Michael was a very devout JW and a very spiritual man. As an adult, Michael took it upon himself to set an example to the world that he is about helping those less fortunate, helping children, and giving all of himself to raise awareness of various problems in the world. I mean, in those Suzuki commercials in the late 70s/early 80s, the last thing in the commercial is Michael saying 'Love is my message'.

But anyways, since Michael died, all I could think about is how cruel and unfair the world had treated him for almost the last 20 years. I kept having this subliminal image of Michael being chased by a mob, shooting arrows at him. Some would miss, but some wouldn't and they would slow him down. But they couldn't stop him. He got weaker though. So as he got weaker and weaker, the mob gained up on him, shooting more and more arrows, until he just couldn't take it anymore. He was a man that wanted to make the world a better place. He wrote songs that addressed important issues in the world and had A MEANING to them. He himself did all he could by donating millions of dollars to charities, visit hospitals and orphanages, get people together to do something to help others in need. I mean, there really wasn't an evil bone in his body.

I was raised Catholic and still practice today. Yes, I did see similarities to Michael and Jesus Christ as I reflected on Michael's life after he passed. I do believe that Michael can be viewed as a prophet of God, as well as, a musical prophet. Michael, at the height of his fame, was an extremely powerful man and he could influence so many people at the drop of a dime. I think that scared other powerful men. Michael was a voice that millions upon millions of people in countries all over the world would listen to. Therefore, people started to slander him, discredit him, belittle him. But he still kept spreading his message of love and tolerance any way he could.

IDK if Michael Jackson could be a religion, but I believe he would have many many followers. I saw Michael as an extension of God and doing deeds that God would want him to do in his life.

OK. . . now I am going to post something that someone on youtube had brought to my attention through a private message. It was a bible verse that person found which amazingly could be interpreted to be describing Michael Jackson:

Daniel 12:1 (King James version)

1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. 2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. 3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.

So in the bible, we have a 'Michael' who is a prince/royalty and stands for children. . . what a coincidence!!! Kind of sounds like our Michael, doesn't it???

I am a christian and the bible states the first commandment is Thy shall honor no other God but me. So that answers the question about Michael being a religion. It does also say however that everyone is put here to do Gods work on earth. Such as help the poor and the hungry. Doing good works in general and if you are doing this then you are being God like. I believe that this is what Michael stood for....being God like..not trying to be God or Jesus. I know that he knew this. I think Michael did what he was put here to do. And he did it beautifully. Thank you Michael.

Interesting and Thanks elmari. I had to look up my bible to find the verse! What a nice co-incident! I'm also a Catholic but a very open minded one.
Michael is in many ways similiar to Jesus. I found this in a facebook post

Jesus poured out his heart and soul to make the world a better place and so did Michael.
Jesus was betrayed by a close friend and so was Michael.
Jesus was betrayed by Judas, and Michael was betrayed by Gavin and Jordan.
Judas handed Jesus to the Authorities and so did Gavin and Jordan.
Jesus was Crucified, Michael was Crucified by the press.
The truth about Jesus came out after his death, the truth about Michael is becoming as clear as day.

Judas is one of the 12 aspostles who gave Jesus to the autorities for money, 30 silver coins. Fairly similiar in Michael's case as well?! Jesus was hated by some people in his era as well and they even throw stones at him. However his friends and followers called him the King of Israel/ Jew.

Anyway, the public had painted MJ of a very bad image, it's very difficult for everyone to understand who Michael really is unless they did their research. Even after death, people are painting him as a drug addict. However, a lot of people are now learning the truth ever since he passed.

I don't think Michael can be a religion but if he is up for a nomination to become a saint, I would totally support! lol!

Anything could be a religion, sad.

jesus as KING is different than a pop KING thats not comparable. jesus was the son of god. if we are going into christianity here. michael wasn't, he was one of us. we won't have the biggest holiday like jesus has (christmas) around michael.
didn't michael say he wanted to be looked as a person not a personality, so why put a god label on him now that hes gone? fans would respect that of michael. personally me it makes no sense to put labels on people like ''saint'' and what have you. we human beings love labels don't we...

anyway, the thing is, and it was already said im sure, what michael did for this earth is what we as people should all do for this earth as well. should we be called saints and godlike too, if we did what michael did for charities? NO. because we are supposed to do these things naturally as human beings, good human beings. anything good we can do. so why create a religion around a good person. theres many good people. Michael was lucky enough to have the fame and money to contribute even more so, so we assume he must be someone ''chosen''.
but theres non/famous people who do their part and dont get the attention.
we want to put michael higher, because he was a celebrity who also sung and danced, not only because he did charity work. lets be real.
''a God'' doesn't put celebrities higher than non celebrities. and we shouldn't either. if anything, michael is a role model, same as anyone can be a role model in your life if they do something you admire.
whats important is you doing your part in helping whether its people, animals, environment.., and not putting human beings on pedestals and worshipping them. its okay to be fans of people, okay.. but dont go over board. think about it, why should michael be a religion? was his life more precious than yours? i think as humans we go too far to the point that we think celebs are more life worthy than the rest of us.

I don't believe in "worshiping" anyone or anything other than God/Jesus but the truth of things is that Michael has devout followers who believe in his teachings the way Jesus did, so in that sense, Michael is a religion to many many fans.

A religion doesn't have to be founded or headed up by someone who is God incarnate. Buddha was a man. He was born, he lived, he died. There are an estimated 230 to 500 million people worldwide who follow the religion/philosophy named after him. Just pointing that out.

As soon as I read the thread title I thought, whoa, here we go again, lol. I don't "worship" Michael Jackson, nor do I believe he was the Messiah or something, but I have always felt, always felt from the very beginning of my discovery of him years and years ago that there was something special going on here. He wasn't perfect. He was human, and yet at the same time managed to unite so many of us all around the world. Despite all the challenges and temptations of fame and fortune and any personal shortcomings, he still helped so many and always gave us a message of love, kindness, unity and healing. And all this in a person who was so mesmerizing, so beautiful and so compelling that no one (not even the haters) could look away. That doesn't make someone a religious figure, of course, but it does give one the feeling of someone special (especially when you consider the sheer number of people affected, on every continent, every race, every religion, so on). And this connection we feel to him feels like a connection of spirit to me: to him, from him, between us all and ultimately then with God. Connect us all and eventually we'll realize our Oneness of spirit (i.e. God). Michael was an instrument, a conduit of this energy that brought people together and awakened us in all the varying ways we needed for our own personal growth (physically, mentally or spiritually). He was and will continue to be a great inspiration, a spiritual teacher of sorts, a uniter and a spreader of love and harmony. If that doesn't qualify technically for the start a religion, lol, I don't know who/what does.

The problem, though, is the word "religion" and all its modern connotations. Mention that you find someone spiritually inspiring or great and you'll immediately have people left and right telling you you're toying with outright blasphemy and should better just shut up. And therein lies the problem for anyone even wanting to ponder whether someone was one of the greats, the prophets, the angels among us. Long gone are the days of starting "religions", whether after the words of healers, thinkers, philosophers, conquerers or pop superstars, lol. Religion? Nah. But an MJ philosophy society, an MJ spiritual community... now that sounds intriguing...

The only and most important difference I think though is that there was no specific doctrines set out to be followed. So that doesn't make it exactly religious.

Did Jesus have a doctrin other than believe and love God? Jesus didn't write the Bible, others after him did. And the big 10 rules were from Moises no? Michael told people to love each other, to take care of childrean, to heal the world, to look at ourselves and make a change, to hold hands with other ''Don't be shy, do it!'', this speach sounded so like a preacher, makes me laugh actually! ;)

... and not putting human beings on pedestals and worshipping them.

Isn't that what people did with Buddha, Jesus and Mohammed? Cause, historically speaking, they were basically human guys and Jesus and Mohammed were 2 guys who believed in God and tried to convince people to adopt their way of showing their devotion to God, which resulted in 2 big religions witht he same God on top but different ways to celebrate it. Then humans made them higher than just humans.

Buddha was a man. He was born, he lived, he died. There are an estimated 230 to 500 million people worldwide who follow the religion/philosophy named after him. Just pointing that out.

You got my point! That's what I mean by 'religion' in my first text. And I don't say people already do that with Michael, but we never know what history can bring us in hundreads of years. Jesus started his influence in his area, and the word spreaded years after his death, Michael was already known all over the world, wherever you go people knew about Michael Jackson during his lifetime. Well, of course Jesus didn't have the chance to get the Internet ;)

Religion? Nah. But an MJ philosophy society, an MJ spiritual community... now that sounds intriguing...

It does indeed :)

I wonder if any of the MJ Anointed Followers will post in here. Think that's their name. From what I understand they already believe Michael is a messenger of God so in effect there already is a group who believe in a type of Michael religion.

Btw, not sure which group of Christian's believe that Jesus is God (saw that posted) but I am Christian and for me they are separate. Jesus is the son of God.

Btw, not sure which group of Christian's believe that Jesus is God (saw that posted) but I am Christian and for me they are separate. Jesus is the son of God.

Quite a few denominations believe that Jesus is god. It's called The Trinity, God the Father, God The Son and the Holy Spirit

Religion? Nah. But an MJ philosophy society, an MJ spiritual community... now that sounds intriguing...

Yeah, I agree about a MJ philosophy instead of a religion. I think everyone could use a bit of his philosophy in their lives. :yes:

Back