Czechs oppose plans for Michael Jackson statue

What an ignorant comment.

So the UK and Brits are sh*t because they have The Sun newspaper? The USA because they have Fox TV?

Just because some non-Michael Jackson fans oppose this plan and set up a Facebook group does not mean it won't go ahead. And is certainly should not be a judgement on the Czech Republic or its people.

Get a life!

No offense, but even with a statue I don't think any one is really going to visit with it or without it.

No offense, but even with a statue I don't think any one is really going to visit with it or without it.

Well, it is kinda offensive, and also irrelevant... Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and we do quite well for tourism, thanks...

It's a shame that some MJ fans are so rude.

It's great that these Czech fans have got the council's approval to honour Michael Jackson in this way. The History tour opened in Prague and it was a symbolic and important event, both in terms of Michael's career and the former Eastern Europe opening up to the west aftr years of communist and Russian control.

The History statue was even placed overlooking Prague in a place where a statue of Lenin dominated the skyline.

Preseident Obama chose Prague to make one of his most important speeches about nuclear disarmament and Prague is a major centre of culture, art, music and history.

If you can stick your finger up to a whole country and its people because some idiots set up a Facebook group and some hating media outlet picked up on it, then more fool you.

Perhaps, as a MJ fan, you should read his lyrics and follow his example a little more...

any links to this protest Facebook group? Clearly it must be the work of some MJ hater, possibly non-Czech, looking to cause some controversy.

well well well, now i am sure it's the media making this up. because they surely would be ones who would want to set fans at odds with each other, in this thread. as someone said in this thread, some tend to be reactionary. i wish we all could think about what we would say, before we post.

Anyone can start a Facebook group. Most Czechs would be happy for this statue and I cant wait to see it x

I agree. I've been to Prague and it is a beautiful city and country with very nice ppl. and I can't wait to see it when I go visit again.

No one visits that country and now I'm one more those people.

You should really think before you write a very unkind thing to say about a country who welcomed Michael with open arms and whose city authorities and the majority of its citizens have erected a statue in his name. You should understand that there will always be opposition to anything- everybody has their opinions and ppl not always agree w/ everything. Just because there is some opposition is in no way an indictment of the country as a whole. That's ridiculous! Take this as a learning experience- I know Michael would not be very happy with your comments. :no:

Well, it is kinda offensive, and also irrelevant... Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and we do quite well for tourism, thanks...

It's a shame that some MJ fans are so rude.

It's great that these Czech fans have got the council's approval to honour Michael Jackson in this way. The History tour opened in Prague and it was a symbolic and important event, both in terms of Michael's career and the former Eastern Europe opening up to the west aftr years of communist and Russian control.

The History statue was even placed overlooking Prague in a place where a statue of Lenin dominated the skyline.

Preseident Obama chose Prague to make one of his most important speeches about nuclear disarmament and Prague is a major centre of culture, art, music and history.

If you can stick your finger up to a whole country and its people because some idiots set up a Facebook group and some hating media outlet picked up on it, then more fool you.

Perhaps, as a MJ fan, you should read his lyrics and follow his example a little more...

You are right. I was in the Czech Republic last year and I visited Prague, that's indeed a beautiful city.
It's quite suprising that MJ fans can be so ignorant when talking about something not related to their idol (at least not directly). Judging the whole country by a small group of people is unacceptable.

I am sad and disappointed that comments like that are made by MJ fans. It really sounds very ignorant. Anyway, I wish you to have chance to come and see the country one day, so that you could see how ridiculous were your comments.

Prague definitely doesn´t suffer from the lack of tourists. It is packed with them all the time. Believe me, I live there. However, the MJ statue has nothing to do with tourism. The idea of the statue came from the fans. They want to pay a tribute to Michael this way. There has been money collection among Czech fans for this statue and the organisators made a great job by getting approval from the city authorities after months. It is about L.O.V.E., not about business or politics.

Also the articles and spots about protests against the statue are more or less huge media bubble. Yes, there has been FB group of 2000 people (established by local eccentric artist), who don´t want MJ statue in Prague, but population of Czech Republic is more than 10 millions - it means that basicly 0,02% of all population protest. Hmm, so it doesn´t look like very significant issue, does it?

I am sad and disappointed that comments like that are made by MJ fans. It really sounds very ignorant. Anyway, I wish you to have chance to come and see the country one day, so that you could see how ridiculous were your comments.

Prague definitely doesn´t suffer from the lack of tourists. It is packed with them all the time. Believe me, I live there. However, the MJ statue has nothing to do with tourism. The idea of the statue came from the fans. They want to pay a tribute to Michael this way. There has been money collection among Czech fans for this statue and the organisators made a great job by getting approval from the city authorities after months. It is about L.O.V.E., not about business or politics.

Also the articles and spots about protests against the statue are more or less huge media bubble. Yes, there has been FB group of 2000 people (established by local eccentric artist), who don´t want MJ statue in Prague, but population of Czech Republic is more than 10 millions - it means that basicly 0,02% of all population protest. Hmm, so it doesn´t look like very significant issue, does it?

Very well said, Thank you! And Thank you Czech Republic for your loving support of Michael!

nobody visits Prague? hehe, this is too funny:)) i know i want to go there this summer:) so hopefully i can check out the statue too:)

I LOVE STATUES OF MICHAEL!!!! Man, he was GENIUS, the last one to be certain.

Stupid jelous media.... thay will have to agree with the majority ahahah, but man, media SUX!!!! f haters

I want one statue in MY COUNTRY TOO!

nobody visits Prague? hehe, this is too funny:)) i know i want to go there this summer:) so hopefully i can check out the statue too:)
yes no one does, but i would IF that Michael Jackson Statue is placed there... if not, NEVER!!!!!!!!!! :tease:

I know i may be childish sometimes, but im right! :)

I don't understand what some of you here have against Prague? I heard its a beautiful city. why people have to be so offensive? I agree with the comments above me, its simply ignorance. what a shame.

Hello, my name is Helena Babicka and i am the organisator of MJ statue in Prague. I am a new member here, not experienced with any internet forums. I´ve been trying to put a news about the statue or set a new topic at the fans forum but i didn´t find how to do it. There are important things for all of you to know about Michael´s statue in Prague. I can put my message here but am afraid not many people read comments to older news. I need as many readers as possible. Could anybody help me? Many thanx, Helena

Their loss..........

And I thought they wanted people to visit the Czech Republic!!!!!!!!!!!!
Plenty of people visit the Czech Republic..

K. I don't care about them, it's their loss.
You don't care about them because they don't share your interest?

Wow......that is so far from the truth.

:bugeyed

Well, it is kinda offensive, and also irrelevant... Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and we do quite well for tourism, thanks...w

Exactly..

I am astounded at some of the comments in this thread, I really am. :bugeyed
Not only are some people tarring an entire country with the one brush because of the comments of a few people, people are disregarding other humans because they don't share the same fandom or devotion as them. I can't understand it! Michael taught love. Not love conditional to people being fans of Michael Jackson. The world is full of people with different interests. We shouldn't disregard or dislike them just because they don't share ours.

Haven't read 4 pages of arguments, but from the story here, they simply suggested it be put somewhere else. Is this bad? They're not denying the statue from what I can see...

I have only met one person so far that said they are going to the Czech Republic for a vacation. The reason was because the guy was born there and thought he should take his adult children there just to show them their roots.

All the other Czechs I know emmigrated before the Velvet Revolution and left because they don't want to be there.

I would love to go to Prague if I had a lot of time and was doing a back packing tour across ALL of Europe, but I wouldn't dedicate my entire journey on one country. I would like to go to see all of the UK only because of my roots, but to be honest I would rather go somewhere with a sunny beach that is a 4 hour flight away, and not 18 hours away that is expensive and cold.

You rarely meet anyone that goes on a vacation just for the sake of viewing art, statues, and history. Most people go to Paris because their girlfriend wants to get their picture in front of the Eifel Tower and get romantic. Switzerland for skiing and chocolate, or Holland to see the sex and drug climate. Other people like to go to a place that is hot, has an ocean, and is cheap or has cheap drinks. Greece, Austrailia, Thailand, Mexico, California and Florida have an ocean, France has the Riviera. Italy has wine and cuisine that almost everyone around the world loves. New York and Vegas have excessive shopping and entertainment. California has beaches.

I'm not saying "don't go to Prague", I'm just saying don't take offence that you think everyone on earth needs to get down to your country because you are totally blown away with your art. Guess what? My country has art too, but I don't expect you to fly over here just to look at it and take a couple pictures. People save up for a year or many years to go on a vacation, and when they go it has to deliver a lot to make it worth while.

Hello, my name is Helena Babicka and i am the organisator of MJ statue in Prague. I am a new member here, not experienced with any internet forums. I´ve been trying to put a news about the statue or set a new topic at the fans forum but i didn´t find how to do it. There are important things for all of you to know about Michael´s statue in Prague. I can put my message here but am afraid not many people read comments to older news. I need as many readers as possible. Could anybody help me? Many thanx, Helena

Hi Helena,

it is quite easy, you click on the section of forum where you want to post new topic (MJ news and happenings, I suppose) and on the top of the left side will appear the NEW THREAD button, if you click on it, you can post new topic.

The only thing is, I am not sure if you as newbie don´t need a permission to do it. In case, you need some help, just let me know.

I have only met one person so far that said they are going to the Czech Republic for a vacation. The reason was because the guy was born there and thought he should take his adult children there just to show them their roots.

All the other Czechs I know emmigrated before the Velvet Revolution and left because they don't want to be there.

I would love to go to Prague if I had a lot of time and was doing a back packing tour across ALL of Europe, but I wouldn't dedicate my entire journey on one country. I would like to go to see all of the UK only because of my roots, but to be honest I would rather go somewhere with a sunny beach that is a 4 hour flight away, and not 18 hours away that is expensive and cold.

You rarely meet anyone that goes on a vacation just for the sake of viewing art, statues, and history. Most people go to Paris because their girlfriend wants to get their picture in front of the Eifel Tower and get romantic. Switzerland for skiing and chocolate, or Holland to see the sex and drug climate. Other people like to go to a place that is hot, has an ocean, and is cheap or has cheap drinks. Greece, Austrailia, Thailand, Mexico, California and Florida have an ocean, France has the Riviera. Italy has wine and cuisine that almost everyone around the world loves. New York and Vegas have excessive shopping and entertainment. California has beaches.

I'm not saying "don't go to Prague", I'm just saying don't take offence that you think everyone on earth needs to get down to your country because you are totally blown away with your art. Guess what? My country has art too, but I don't expect you to fly over here just to look at it and take a couple pictures. People save up for a year or many years to go on a vacation, and when they go it has to deliver a lot to make it worth while.

Ok, this discussion is getting a little bit "off topic", but I just have to react on your post.

Yes, indeed many people emigrated before the Velvet Revolution (well, it is more than 20 years ago), but they left the country due to political issues and they usually didn´t choose country where they would stay just because it has beaches or hot weather. They chose the country where they have some relatives, friends or where they could easily get visa or because they knew the language, so it would be easier for them to start the new life.

I think, you shouldn´t generalize. That is not true that MOST people go to Paris just to take picture of themselves in front of Eiffel Tower. Maybe some of them, while there are many others who come to enjoy historical city, huge art galleries, gastronomy or to practice their French. People have different priorities, when they go for vacation. Some of them focus on nature, others on historical sites or art, while others just want to relax on the beach. And yes, there are also some crazy ones, who travel anywhere they can afford just to spend nights in front of the luxury hotel and get the glimpse of their idol (thank you for beautiful memories, Michael and all of crazy ones :). That is their own choice and they have right to do it as it is their vacation and they should enjoy it. But please, don´t generalize and don´t make the statements that most people do it this or that way, as it is not true.

Nobody here mentioned or even thought that everyone on earth should come to our country. Yes, it is beautiful historical country and it is certainly worth of seeing as well as other countries all over the world (every country has its own magic and beauty), but if somebody wants to see huge art collections, then I myself would recommend to go to Paris, Rome or Saint Petersburg instead.

Well personally I can understand where those protestors come from. Michael Jackson did not have a specific connection to the Czech Rep. or its people, so I don't see why there is a need to build a statue in a public park for him. I mean, if we're gonna erect a statue for every artist that comes to our country, the parks would be littered with them :p We might take offense because we're MJ fans, but how would you feel if your city council decides to put a massive Elvis (just an example) statue in your local park? I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about that either (no disrepect to Elvis). Fortunately in Holland we already have an MJ statue so we don't need to argue about that :D

Btw, I have been to Prague before and it is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been too, I'd recommend it to anyone. And yes, some people DO visit places because they're interested in the art and architecture there, not everyone picks holiday destinations based on nice weather and a beach.

I find so many comments on this topic to be rude and offensive.

It's so sad that Michael Jackson fans can be so unpleasant.

I suggest that this topic be removed. So sad that my country is criticised for no reason when all the fans have tried to do is honour MJ

Was this posted?

The late king of pop, Michael Jackson, also keeps Prague preoccupied this summer as his fan club has recently secured zoning permits to erect a two-meter statue of their idol in the Prague Letna park overlooking the Vltava River. The monument would be several times smaller, though, than the massive 15-meter monument of Joseph Stalin that lurked over Prague between 1955 and 1962. The concrete-and-granite site now attracts crowds of skateboarders and roller skaters.

Helena Babicka, the main organizer of the late singer’s statue installation in Prague, argued on her blog and Facebook page that the monument will commemorate the 1996 concert Mr. Jackson held in Prague in a nearby park. But critics say that, with the exception of that concert, the late pop star had nothing to do with the Czech capital.

While nearly 2,000 people support the “We want the statue of Michael Jackson in Prague” page, the anti-statue group has so far attracted fewer then 300 supporters. Still, opponents of the Jackson statue have won support from many well-known Czech artists, including David Cerny, the author of Entropa, the controversial work displayed in Brussels during the Czech presidency of the European Union.

Source:
http://blogs.wsj.com/new-europe/201...hael-jackson-statue-cause-brouhaha-in-prague/

Facebook page regarding in support of the statue: http://www.facebook.com/Statue.of.Michael.Jackson
Facebook page opposing the statue: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nechceme-sochu-Jacksona-v-Paze/133441273349938

Last edited:
Back