desperate help with insomnia

MissyJackson

Proud Member
Hollywood Blvd With My Boy Ryjin .. Las Vega's
Desperate help with insomnia

ive had it for the past 2 years on and off not being able to sleep well today ive not slept properly for over 30 hours and its now taking its toll on me i keep fainting

took a few sleep aids before and nothing works
anyone got any quick tips on how to help it im starting to think drastic measures and i dont wanna go down that route if i can help it

Maybe dance or exercise about 3 hours before you sleep , loose your energy and don't have caffeine 6 hours before you go to sleep - Although i dont have insomnia you might aswell use it for it's advantages (as in exercise ect as a means of getting sleep)

MissyJackson, I'm sure these are all tips that you know but I will list them anyway: it is said that it is better not to be online or watching TV before going to bed. The bedroom should be clean and uncluttered. A mess around us gives our thoughts and brain no rest either. It mustn't be too warm in the bedroom, an window opened slightly to let fresh air in can help sometimes. Sticking to the same routine every day. No alcohol, coffee or tea. No late eating or snacking, but if you are hungry eat something like a cracker with cheese and some juice, or warm milk. Some people are very sensitive to electric apparatus close to their head for the magnetic field it causes, unplug every electrical appliance. Also, it is said that it's best to sleep with your head to the east.
Taking a warm ( not too hot) shower can sometimes help. Lying in bed reading a book until you can't read may help. I like to think about how I will spend a million dollars if I should win this in a lottery and I do calculations in my head, I always fall asleep.

I hope there is a tip in there that is helpful to you!

i'm really sorry to hear this. all the advice i've heard on insomnia suggests avoiding things like pc's/tv's before bedtime, try to do something calming, like reading in a softly lit room. don't do something that keeps the brain too active. also i know lettuce contains natural chemicals to aid sleep, but maybe you would have to eat a ton of it lol try to eat dinner quite early, otherwise your body will be using all it's energy digesting your food, but also don't go to bed hungry, you need the right balance. have you tried anything herbal like nytol herbal? my mum says they are good.
my boyfriend can't sleep sometimes and i think it is stress related.
hope you find a solution soon :)

MissyJackson, I'm sure these are all tips that you know but I will list them anyway: it is said that it is better not to be online or watching TV before going to bed. The bedroom should be clean and uncluttered. A mess around us gives our thoughts and brain no rest either. It mustn't be too warm in the bedroom, an window opened slightly to let fresh air in can help sometimes. Sticking to the same routine every day. No alcohol, coffee or tea. No late eating or snacking, but if you are hungry eat something like a cracker with cheese and some juice, or warm milk. Some people are very sensitive to electric apparatus close to their head for the magnetic field it causes, unplug every electrical appliance. Also, it is said that it's best to sleep with your head to the east.
Taking a warm ( not too hot) shower can sometimes help. Lying in bed reading a book until you can't read may help. I like to think about how I will spend a million dollars if I should win this in a lottery and I do calculations in my head, I always fall asleep.

I hope there is a tip in there that is helpful to you!

we are on the same wavelength somewhat :D

Hi MissyJackson,

Besides what was already recommended, try to get some lavender body lotion or spray. Use the lotion before you go to bed and put a little under your nose so you smell it. If you get the spray, spray on your pillow and bed before you go to sleep. This really works for me. I have both. I also had a bad case of insomnia a couple years back and ever since I started using this, I sleep very well. If there is a Bath and Body Works nearby, it's the aromatherapy sleep line of products. There is Lavender and Chamomile, Lavender and Vanilla and I think there might be one more blend. If you don't have one nearby I'm sure other stores that carry the same type of products can offer similar. Lavender is a very good fragrance for relaxation and sleep.

I hope this helps.

Peace, love and hugs :angel::wub:

Desperate help with insomnia

ive had it for the past 2 years on and off not being able to sleep well today ive not slept properly for over 30 hours and its now taking its toll on me i keep fainting

took a few sleep aids before and nothing works
anyone got any quick tips on how to help it im starting to think drastic measures and i dont wanna go down that route if i can help it

Hi MissyJackson,

Besides what was already recommended, try to get some lavender body lotion or spray. Use the lotion before you go to bed and put a little under your nose so you smell it. If you get the spray, spray on your pillow and bed before you go to sleep. This really works for me. I have both. I also had a bad case of insomnia a couple years back and ever since I started using this, I sleep very well. If there is a Bath and Body Works nearby, it's the aromatherapy sleep line of products. There is Lavender and Chamomile, Lavender and Vanilla and I think there might be one more blend. If you don't have one nearby I'm sure other stores that carry the same type of products can offer similar. Lavender is a very good fragrance for relaxation and sleep.

I hope this helps.

Peace, love and hugs :angel::wub:

ty so much
ive had it since a trauma a year or so ago

MissyJackson, you also might try herbal tea. Unfortunally, I can't tell you which herbs you should use, but you could ask at a drug store, they should know. I hope you'll be able to have some rest. *hugs*

ETA: I've remembered some herbs that might help: chamomile, lavender,lemon balm

Last edited:
ty so much
ive had it since a trauma a year or so ago

Depending on the trauma, I guess. If you suffer from PTSD, you need to treat the problem there as well.

I would highly recommend Homeopathy, for example before swinging the chemical bat.
Some remedies might be able to help depending on the problem. Homeopathy could help you with both the trauma and the resulting insomnia.

Is it an issue following asleep in the first place, or an issue of waking up in the middle of the night being unable to get back to sleep? There's somewhat of a difference there.

I personally swear by swimming late in the afternoon, early evening if managable. It tires me out pretty well. Same with a couple of goods round of sauna, not to late in the evening.
Visiting a sauna will knock me right out.

Hope you find a way of dealing with it.

Guys think before you post...not really a joking matter. Posts deleted.

(Cant believe someone went that low. I felt sick. :()

And I had a problem with sleeping a while ago. Beat it with exercising/relaxing bath/then bed.

Hope you sort it out all soon.

^Glad I missed it.

You got it worse than me Tempy! You should visit my "I can't Sleep" thread.

I've gotten better; sleeping thru the night and such but there's
still room for improvement. :yawn:

Sorry for your sleeplessness. Hopefully some of the suggestions will prove helpful.

Sorry to hear about ur sleep problem. I've had my insomniac periods, nothing like you w/ 30-hour problems, but problems w/ falling asleep regularly as late as 2-4 AM and having to wake up three hrs later, some weekends going to bed at 6-7 AM, etc. It's pretty miserable since my body and mind would ache from the lack of sleep, and I'd have to fight off sleep during every day things like work and driving. My eyes would even burn from only sleeping only X hrs and looking at a computer.

Eventually I read about some suggestions that have since helped:
* In bed by 11 PM
* Hot shower before bed
* No caffeine after 3 PM
* No food after 8 PM
* Dim the lights at 10 PM
* Read before bed
* Exercise during the day
* Don't alter your sleep schedule on weekends so your body gets used to a sleep pattern.
* I use a fan to create "white noise," since I'm a sensitive sleeper and it blocks the outside noise.

These tactics have really helped. I used to drink alcohol, either vodka or red wine to get sleepy, but I eventually built a tolerance to it, so that stopped working and I don't want to need liquor to fall asleep. I used to also take Tylenol PM, and while it eventually worked, I started building tolerance to it, and I'd feel awful the next morning through afternoon, so it defeated the purpose of even taking it. Plus I've read it's not healthy to become reliant on it.

So the past few months I've been falling asleep between 11:30 PM and 12:30 every night w/ those rules, which is big progress for me. I actually feel better during the day. Good luck to you.

MissyJackson sorry that you are having problems sleeping, that is so miserable isnt it as your body and mind so needs quality sleep in order to renew strength, and also for your immune system, as the body repairs itself during rem sleep.:doh:

I have read the replies and there is alot of good advice there, which hopefully something from it you will find makes a difference to you and helps.:yes:

I also struggle with sleeping and it's not uncommon to find posts from me in the wee small hours.
I know that coming on the internet is not a good idea but its better than lying awake staring into the darkness!:unsure:

Sorry I am unable to say anything constructive to help you, but if its any small comfort please know that I am thinking of you and hoping things get better for you in time.:timer::better::yes::wub::wub::wub:

I just want to say, I like this thread. I don't suffer from insomnia but I have a hard time going to bed at the same time every night... so thanks for the suggestions guys.

I have really horrible insomnia, to the point where I can go a couple of days with no sleep. And when I do sleep it's only for an hour or two and I wake up feeling horrible. Which is no fun when I have two kids to take care of. I have tried EVERYTHING, even sleeping pills. Finally, I was just so tired and talked to my doctor about it. He recommended I go to a sleep center, it wasn't exactly fun with wires attached to your body while trying to sleep. But in the end, they found a medicine that would help me. Now I'm able to go to sleep around 10 and sleep until 7. I'm slowly getting off the medicine and still have been able to "train" my body when to sleep. Also, it made a WORLD of a difference, might it be your mattress? We went to buy a new mattress and I have never slept like that before! It was so comfy and I finally got rest. As far as PTSD I would go to a therapist, it really does help to talk to someone that can help you. Take it one step at a time hun, your body NEEDS rest and it will make you feel so much better! If you ever need to talk, I'm a great listener!

I am so sorry to hear about your insomnia! :( I know it can be a real hell. I´ve been suffering from sleeping problems most of my life and also have been using different kinds of sleeping aids on and off.

Unfortunately I don’t have much more to add to what people already have suggested here in this thread. Sounds like good advice.
Learning different kinds of relaxation techniques can sometimes provide relief too.

But I think the most important thing is to get to the bottom of the problem and find out what is causing the insomnia; is it some physiological problem with the body or stress related or psychological(like an emotional trauma as you mentioned).
As Elle Bella suggested going to a sleep study can provide a lot of useful information about the problem and through that also help for it. Treating the cause is of course the most important thing.

I am sorry that I can´t give any more advice. If I come to think of something else that might help, I will certainly tell you. I really hope things will improve for you! Many hugs to you and all the other insomniacs here! :hug: :heart:

I know how you feel and the question is there an exit? I think maybe, but I have not found one yet and I am not searching. I don't sleep, that is bad for me, low blood pressure, faints, low body weight (I am thin, fragile), forgetfulness and so on. Even my skin tone has changed it is now very pale and yellow. I know the cause for my insomnia- first it began after Michael passed, then some bad people started to threat my life. Really bad people, the plice knows, but my sleep was beyond repair. I am now living dead, I lost all my friends, I just drifted apart from them, I don't want them be hurt , I don't sleep, I don't eat, every day I get thiner and thiner ( I am even thiner than Michael ever was). But I have such a great talent, I can give something to the world and I feel holpeles. This is my mission (to draw Michel) I am sure, but I feel that I have lost control over my life.

Last edited:
MissyJackson I thought of something else late last night as I tried to get to sleep, that might possibly help?
It is a relaxation technique that was taught to me years ago and it was actually taught in an ante natal class ( seriously, this is relevant and might possibly help you?)
We were taught to tense up our toes, hold them tensed for a few seconds, then relax, then work your way up repeating the same exercise, until you get to the face, tensing all the muscles bit by bit in turn, then relaxing them.............. I thought of you when I tried it at 3.30am and just wondered whether it might help you to try?:bugeyed
I guess anything is worth a try?:doh:
Also they advised to breathe in, and as you breathe out slowly say in your head......''one''.......................just ''one''............the idea in theory is that it will help to clear your mind of whatever else is running through it?:scratch:
I hope some of this helps? :wub:

MissyJackson, you also might try herbal tea. Unfortunally, I can't tell you which herbs you should use, but you could ask at a drug store, they should know. I hope you'll be able to have some rest. *hugs*

ETA: I've remembered some herbs that might help: chamomile, lavender,lemon balm

Thank you for reminding me that kathie.

Because I think my insomnia is returning. Cause for the past 2 days I have not been able to sleep good. And I remember having insomnia really bad through out the summer and in to early to mid fall. After we had lost Michael. What was the cause of my insomnia was the constant vivid dreams I kept having of Michael. And usually those dreams that I had were bad ones practically nightmares. Which cause me to become really afraid of going to sleep. But now I don't dream about Michael that much. So I really don't know what could be causing my insomnia now. But I just hope drinking a cup of chamomile tea will help. I'm just glad that I have some of that in the kitchen.

I also have trouble sleeping at night and I usually stay up late. It is very frustrating and I wish I could get into a deep sleep at night. I have had this problem for a long time. I never have slept much even when I was a child. Apparently my mother used to put me on tranquilisers (I found out this not long ago) but I can't remember. My insomnia has worsened since Michael's death. He is especially on my mind at night when the house is quiet. When I do sleep I wake up during the night and my first thought is, Michael is really gone, then I'm up again with the heartache. I feel the only way I can sleep normally is with a sleeping pill. But I would not advise taking sleeping pills unless you are under the supervision of a doctor. I think doctors are generally reluctant to hand out sleeping pills now they like to suggest a change in diet, not eating for a good few hours before going to bed and cutting down on the caffeine. Have you tried chamomile tea? Sometimes a long, hot, relaxing bubble bath will do the trick. Rest up and we'll be talking soon. :hug:

Did i miss something, insomnia is a matter of jokes now :bugeyed

I have insomnia, i do exercise, i love to dance thats my favorite thing, i love to swim as well, but that did not help me...

Insomnia is not easy like some people posted here... the ones joking about it... really pathetic and IGNORANT people

Take Michael Jackson as example, the man was ALWAYS dancing, thats why he was so in shape, he had INSOMNIA AS WELL, the ones making jokes are retarded no kidding, really pathetic...

in fact nobody knows what causes insomnia, and what "heals" it, really is not simple, is not....

I know how you feel and the question is there an exit? I think maybe, but I have not found one yet and I am not searching. I don't sleep, that is bad for me, low blood pressure, faints, low body weight (I am thin, fragile), forgetfulness and so on. Even my skin tone has changed it is now very pale and yellow. I know the cause for my insomnia- first it began after Michael passed, then some bad people started to threat my life. Really bad people, the plice knows, but my sleep was beyond repair. I am now living dead, I lost all my friends, I just drifted apart from them, I don't want them be hurt , I don't sleep, I don't eat, every day I get thiner and thiner ( I am even thiner than Michael ever was). But I have such a great talent, I can give something to the world and I feel holpeles. This is my mission (to draw Michel) I am sure, but I feel that I have lost control over my life.

i have low weight and im thin and fragile apparently my eating disorder can kick off insomnia and i didnt know

MissyJackson I thought of something else late last night as I tried to get to sleep, that might possibly help?
It is a relaxation technique that was taught to me years ago and it was actually taught in an ante natal class ( seriously, this is relevant and might possibly help you?)
We were taught to tense up our toes, hold them tensed for a few seconds, then relax, then work your way up repeating the same exercise, until you get to the face, tensing all the muscles bit by bit in turn, then relaxing them.............. I thought of you when I tried it at 3.30am and just wondered whether it might help you to try?:bugeyed
I guess anything is worth a try?:doh:
Also they advised to breathe in, and as you breathe out slowly say in your head......''one''.......................just ''one''............the idea in theory is that it will help to clear your mind of whatever else is running through it?:scratch:
I hope some of this helps? :wub:

ty hun gave you rep i shall give it a try maybe today sometime

ive had the most rough night i could ever have

i tried to take a nap earlier and this is what happened to me

i closed my eyes a for a while for a nap a while ago and i had a dream of me lay dead in the road id discharged myself in tears ran out and a car hit me head on and my friend was holding me and i said her name and then passed away in her arms my other friend went to get pillows and blankets while the paramedics did cpr and intubated me but it was too late i was dead i was wearing michaels o2 jacket and his pajama bottoms he wore to court in 2005 to keep me warm they both stroked my forehead before the lid of my casket was closed

:cry:

I too suffer from insomnia and I remember an incident when I almost got hit by a car because I crossed the street unknowingly. I was that out of it. I've had it for more than a decade and the longest I have gone without any sleep or naps at all was about 3 or 4 days. I know it is very debilitating specially mentally and emotionally so I know how you feel. All of the tips here are very helpful and I have done most of them so you're just going to have to try some of them and hopefully find somethings that can help you go to sleep.

One thing that really helps me to relax and help me fall asleep is a Lavender scented calming lotion. Somebody gave me a gift box of Apothecary stuff because I have Dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation) and I found out that by having someone rub the Apothecary lotion on my back really puts my body and mind at ease.

Hope you find something that'll help ya love!

I too suffer from insomnia and I remember an incident when I almost got hit by a car because I crossed the street unknowingly. I was that out of it. I've had it for more than a decade and the longest I have gone without any sleep or naps at all was about 3 or 4 days. I know it is very debilitating specially mentally and emotionally so I know how you feel. All of the tips here are very helpful and I have done most of them so you're just going to have to try some of them and hopefully find somethings that can help you go to sleep.

One thing that really helps me to relax and help me fall asleep is a Lavender scented calming lotion. Somebody gave me a gift box of Apothecary stuff because I have Dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation) and I found out that by having someone rub the Apothecary lotion on my back really puts my body and mind at ease.

Hope you find something that'll help ya love!

ty so much hun i also suffer from pain and not all pain meds work on me im gonna try what u used for pain as well as helping me with my
insomnia problems gave you rep points

Back