Did MJ Find Love In The Dark (continued)

First of all I apologize for not being able to break what will no doubt be an obnoxiously long paragraph into sections...alas...I cannot...and who knows why I can't? Perplexed. I'm going to overuse "dots" then.......................................................................................................................................................................... I really like your interpretations of that Neil Diamond song! MP...you are good! :clapping: Well, no wonder he missed the original girl who owned and played him, because she was quite serving giving up the bed for the guitar while she slept on the floor next to the bed. I don't think I've ever done that for my guitar.................The Behind the Mask vid is REALLY good, isn't it? So much could be discussed because it seems to be fairly thick with symbolism, enough at least to think something was intentionally being expressed through the art. And, of course, that lends itself VERY WELL to a thread such as this, right? We can have a field day. I mean if we could come up with so many "interesting" interpretations through the lyrics in MJ songs...this video should be able to feed some thought in that same direction...if we try.........................................................................................Yes, I think the blond with the skeleton mask was the token representative of the "song's" phony girl. But I think this video's message is not focused on her but on those who use masks to hide behind, in general, for different reasons. The girl MJ sings about in the song is using a mask in one way...and I think he is trying to figure out if it is for her protection(like a wall) or because she is fake and insincere (with him). Whichever, he's having a hard time reading her, and that is usually the case when one is wearing a mask. You can get mixed signals, or inaccurate signals, because you are possibly being played(but not like a guitar, haha ;) ) ..........................................In this video we have for example (and if any one has been in a club like this, there is always the concern, if a female, that you will encounter "a wolf")... is a guy using his mask to hide the fact he looks at a woman only as a piece of meat (for sex). You see him checking out the girl who is walking passed him. Notice he is using an MJ mask and it reminds me of the many posers online that use "MJ masks" to draw female fans in, but they are preying on them like a wolf. So that is one way a mask use is being depicted in this video. It also gives an illustration how true intimacy can only happen between a couple if there are no masks getting in the way, and I believe the couple in the booth, laughing and kissing, and openly enjoying each other, illustrate this, for neither of them are wearing masks................................................................................................... The guy in the marde gras (joker) mask who removes it for the girl in the end, he appears to be one who uses the mask to carefully observe another without them being able to see the true him or evaluate him first therefore risking their behavior changing from what is natural to something more affected or to simply avoid right out rejection. But this masked individual seemed to have always intended, once he felt pretty sure about the girl after watching her, that for intimacy and honesty, and true connection to happen, that at some point he would need to show her who he is (and take off the mask). We get to see him at that point being ready to show her. Notice how his mask worked to his advantage, for he created mystery for her and allure, though hidden he still communicated his interest in her, and it worked like a magnet...she became curious and drawn. It was on purpose that this girl does not wear a mask; she is the opposite of the girl sung about in the song, Behind the Mask, for she is transparent, and what her masked pursuer is seeing in her is the real deal. He purposely picks out of the crowd a girl who can be "read" and plays no games............................................................................................These are a few things I noticed. Maybe you can talk about the man with the green eyes, MP. :)

Last edited:
:swoon: Man! I've got to follow that magnificent interpretation? That interpretation of the vid seems to be spot-on. I don't think I could contribute much.

Now about the man with the green eyes ... It seem like he is "controlling" something. It could be that he is controlling the people and events at the masquerade party. I notice that when the mask-less girl at the end and the person in the mardi gras mask show that they "recognize" one another, he looks pretty mad and then seems to stop trying to control things.

It is almost as if the whole "masquerade" concept was his idea to try to deceive and "fool" the two, but they ended up being able to see through all the disguises anyway. I don't know how the girl in the end got away with being able to be there without a mask (there seemed to be a few others there without a mask also). And I am not sure who the man with the green eyes is supposed to represent -- but it looks like it could be someone or something powerful. Perhaps the "green-eyed" monster of jealousy?

Oh, thank you so much, MP. :flowers: ...... wow, I hadn't looked at the guy with the green eyes as being mad or malevolent...although he gives a rather "cold" feel...perhaps the actor was directed in such a way to represent one who is emotionally detached. Some view God that way...some think he winds a watch and sets it down and impassively lets cause and effect rule the world. This person could represent the all seeing "eye." I don't know if any of you have read the novel or seen the The Great Gatsby films, but F. Scott Fritzerald definitely included the presence of an all seeing God/eye or judge by placing a billboard with an advertisement for spectacles, with two impassionate eyes within the frames, which I think were green, and they are forebodingly and constantly looking over the garage where pertinent events take place in the story:
69eb.png
...............................................You might remember that MJ uses an all seeing eye which is green on his dangerous cover:
f2ac.jpg
It can be found at the exit of what appears to be the Pirates of the Caribean Disney attraction, with the boats leaving the ride. It does make me think that this guy running the controls has green eyes not by accident. I wondered, for they are so very green, if contacts are being worn, however I notice pigment spots can been seen, which I myself have in one of my own eyes, which is probably why they stood out to me. Wouldn't green colored contacts cover such pigments? I have no idea:
iwp3.jpg
Because one does not get a warm and fuzzy feel from this guy, it would not necessarily be my vote that he is representing God. He is wearing a mask, and when one sees someone in a mask, usually you can't read facial expression which emote. The joker mask guy, when he is standing there staring at the girl, do you feel he is emoting warmth? No, you have no idea what he is thinking or feeling behind the mask. The joker mask is not particularly friendly looking it is more eerie or uncomfortable feeling. You can see Mr. green Eyes mouth though and it is very serious looking, certainly not smiling. The gods in mythology often played sport with the humans like spoiled bored insensitive children. This guy is shown as being bored at one point when you see him tap his fingers, but that was just a fun match to the song at that point and the only time we see a personality in Mr.Green Eyes, so it lightens things up a bit, reminding the viewer this is not all that serious. lol. But you do sense he is set up somewhere (like Greek gods in Olympus) he has a vantage point high above the characters below. There are shots where you see the activity as if viewed from above. His eyes move around at some point, too, in such a way to indicate he is seeing all the activity going on below him. He is also sitting at a console and manipulating the screen "dials". Like a DJ, he moves his hand like he is adjusting a fader, (or a sound engineer at the controller/sound board). His mask you may note is multi-faceted...that must have been intentional, very symbolic. You first see it after we see the crowd at the very beginning and the crowd is reflected in the many reflective sections of the mask (a multi-faceted crowd? or he is a multi-faceted/talented person in control?) Not everyone believes in God, or understands God to be a benevolent, caring God, always there to help us when we call out to Him, but I do, and so I often see things through that belief - where another may not interrupt this next part like I have. But there is one spot where joker- masked guy looks up, and it in itself is an artistic looking shot, but I like to think it is here where he is asking God for help regarding him and this girl:
5pxb.jpg
You mention the spot where you see Mr. Green Eyes looking mad and then he seems to stop interfering. What I see then is a very clever edit (to represent a "shift")...where after Joker asks for divine assistance, you see those green eyes look as if they are commanding something to happen and then boom, you see the girl suddenly see the guy again, and that is when he now knows he can let her see himself unmasked. Something has happened. And I see this as benevolent, helpful intervention from above. The girl they chose by the way is very, very cute, don't ya think, and I love the way she was directed to give that shy, and a little embarrassed look at the end (but still conveying she is interested "back"). But, of course, I would not readily disagree with the argument that when he looks up it is for creative artistic purposes...(you know, like the June Taylor dancers, haha...oh my, I'm dating myself again...:) )

Yes, I do remember those eyes in The Great Gatsby.

Interesting you saying that Mr. Green Eyes could be a benevolent God-like figure. What an interesting way to look at him. I never thought of that possibility. Certainly puts a new spin on it. It is like you said. I saw a mask and a serious look on his face and I immediately thought of deception and deviousness.

God sometimes does "hide" Himself. He even said we would not be able to look at His face and live, so maybe that is the reason for the mask. And He probably would look pretty serious too. Even though He laughs and has a sense of humor, He probably isn't silly. He does take His concern for us pretty seriously. I've seen this look before on Godly people. It is not them being "cold" or whatever, it is more of a seriousness due to their deep compassion and concern for others out of love. And like you said, maybe that is why He took a break in "intervening" because the mission was accomplished. Oh, and I just realized he is also wearing a white suite. The color white is usually used as a symbol of purity.

And you're right, that jester guy does not look very warm and fuzzy either. He does look "interesting," but as far as if he is sinister or benevolent, it looks like he could go either way. Maybe that is why the girl stares at him for a bit before that smile comes to her face. She probably wasn't so sure in the beginning either. Interesting how she "senses" something before he even starts removing the mask.

And yes, I do like that girl. At first I was thinking how she didn't fit the stereotypical, cookie-cutter, Hollywood mold like some of the other women in the vid, but maybe that is why I like her. She is unique. And you are right, her expressions really convey the feelings she is supposed to get across to us.

Another great interpretation. Maravilloso!

Last edited:
Yes, I do remember those eyes in The Great Gatsby.

Interesting you saying that Mr. Green Eyes could be a benevolent God-like figure. What an interesting way to look at him. I never thought of that possibility. Certainly puts a new spin on it. It is like you said. I saw a mask and a serious look on his face and I immediately thought of deception and deviousness.

God sometimes does "hide" Himself. He even said we would not be able to look at His face and live, so maybe that is the reason for the mask. And He probably would look pretty serious too. Even though He laughs and has a sense of humor, He probably isn't silly. He does take His concern for us pretty seriously. I've seen this look before on Godly people. It is not them being "cold" or whatever, it is more of a seriousness due to their deep compassion and concern for others out of love. And like you said, maybe that is why He took a break in "intervening" because the mission was accomplished. Oh, and I just realized he is also wearing a white suite. The color white is usually used as a symbol of purity.

And you're right, that jester guy does not look very warm and fuzzy either. He does look "interesting," but as far as if he is sinister or benevolent, it looks like he could go either way. Maybe that is why the girl stares at him for a bit before that smile comes to her face. She probably wasn't so sure in the beginning either. Interesting how she "senses" something before he even starts removing the mask.

And yes, I do like that girl. At first I was thinking how she didn't fit the stereotypical, cookie-cutter, Hollywood mold like some of the other women in the vid, but maybe that is why I like her. She is unique. And you are right, her expressions really convey the feelings she is supposed to get across to us.

Another great interpretation. Maravilloso!
I don't have much time at the moment to respond to much, MP, but I like all your thoughts! .... a couple posts back you had said,
Perhaps the "green-eyed" monster of jealousy?
and I thought that was a cool observation. I might have to think on that a bit. :) And this ,too, shows how good you are at thinking in terms of symbolism,
The color white is usually used as a symbol of purity.
I hadn't really thought about that regarding his suit. But that is true. Hmm. .................And this here:
Maybe that is why the girl stares at him for a bit before that smile comes to her face. She probably wasn't so sure in the beginning either. Interesting how she "senses" something before he even starts removing the mask.
She has the advantage we do not have of seeing his eyes. Maybe he was looking right into hers each time with an expression that was guileless, soft and sincere. The camera never once let us see his eyes up close, if I recall correctly. The fact that he was taking off his mask at the end to show her himself confirms he was never intending to stay a mystery to her but wished for an open and honest connection, wouldn't you think?

I haven't been following a thread for a while, I guess I will read what is above later, and I could have posted this in another section of the forum, but as you girls come here most often I will place this here, I hope you will enjoy this documentary, it was very interesting and fascinating to get to know about the life of this person, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV9_Z0A8swI&list=PL70B03BEF2060C197

And another silent motion film to watch called "The Mark of Zorro" (1920):
http://tfilm.tv/16496-znak-zorro.html

Last edited:

"True love's the gift which God has given

To man alone beneath the heaven:It is not fantasy's hot fire, Whose wishes, soon as granted, fly;It liveth not in fierce desire, With dead desire it doth not die;It is the secret sympathy,The silver link, the silken tie,Which heart to heart, and mind to mindIn body and in soul can bind."

~ Sir Walter Scott

"True love's the gift which God has given

To man alone beneath the heaven:It is not fantasy's hot fire, Whose wishes, soon as granted, fly;It liveth not in fierce desire, With dead desire it doth not die;It is the secret sympathy,The silver link, the silken tie,Which heart to heart, and mind to mindIn body and in soul can bind."

~ Sir Walter Scott

How lovely is that!

^ Oh! I've missed you, MP! :yes: The only time I see you is but rarely in this dead thread...whoops...I mean...this...

VIVA THREAD!

:lol:

(another PERFECT song, MP. You crack me up. ahahhaha)

Have you listened to Xscape? Do you like it?

^ Oh! I've missed you, MP! :yes: The only time I see you is but rarely in this dead thread...whoops...I mean...this...

VIVA THREAD!

:lol:

(another PERFECT song, MP. You crack me up. ahahhaha)

Have you listened to Xscape? Do you like it?

Hello Lisha and All!

I have missed you all, too (very much) and I think about all of you often and send up a little prayer as I do that you are all doing well and that God blesses each and every one of you and keeps you and your families safe ... and happy!

Xscape is interesting. I have only listened to bits and pieces of it on the internet so far. As with any new music, it is going to take some time to ingest it, dissect it and fully appreciate it. I guess it would help if I got an actual physical copy of it. This is how I know I am finally getting old. Long gone is the giddy teenage girl who would run to the record store (we used to have those back in the day) and get the latest and greatest music. Now I find myself trying to figure out how I can multitask! Ah, well, at least Xscape is on the list, so I figure I should get some credit! Besides, I have my own music here (well, okay, other people's music, but who's keeping track? Hopefully not their attorneys.ha! ha!)

Yeah, I really should stop posting in this thread. Why should this be the only thread where I stir up trouble. I guess I really got stuck in a rut -- and I can't keep blaming Ash for it either! :nono: (Hi! Ash!:bye:) So I will try to Xscape this prison I am in and try new threads. I might get real adventurous and become a thread starter! I might even start my own blog or perhaps write a book. I am so Xcited over myself! :wild:

So off I go to explore new horizons! (But I might still post something here every once in a while since you know I can't resist a good controversy!;))

EDIT: Alrighty! I did it! I went out and bought Xscape!:wild: Went right out there and supported "my man"! Deluxe version! I was lucky, it was the last one on the shelf and it's the version I really wanted. I'm listening to it as I write this! I know Michael is gonna be #1 in the U.S. now! The charts were just waiting for me, I just know it! Now on to the "magical" hologram! lol!

*thinking* A poster? Haven't had one of those since I was a kid!

Last edited:
I know, I got that same one...with the poster. I'm like...um, what do I do with this???? I have never before in my life put up a poster on the wall of some celebrity... but I must say, I do like this pic of MJ, from Blood on the Dance Floor, right? :) He's tres cool in that vid.

I'm so glad that right after posting you went out and supported your man! :lol: Good goin', MP!

the lovely and funny said:
Now on to the "magical" hologram!

Yes, Ma'am, I'm all for that...BRING IT! Too exciting. :excited:

(Sooo proud of Michael with all of this and he's not even here to be a part of it. *sniff* Sniff*)

~ BUT he's still making us HAPPY!!

Last edited:
Hey all..I haven't been here, to this forum in quite some time, but today, I decided to stumble into this thread and see what was going on. I love that it is still active and I enjoy reading everyone's posts on here. This thread has always been my favorite thread on this forum and I just wanna say thank you to everyone who participates and writes in it. Sending a hug to all of you. God bless you guys. Hope everyone is doing well. ??

Xscape - the very beginning of it they made the same as in another song (meaning the music), they thought nobody will notice? For me the name of the song Xscape associates with southern cape, there are many of them and all are nice travel destinations worth to visit. I liked only 2 songs from this album - xscape and loving you. They just want to earn money on songs and that is why don't let the fans get all raw songs and then decide by voting which ones should be worked on and produced.

But at least there is more lyrics someone can interpret in "Loving you":
Hello, August moon, where are the stars of the night?
You promised me too soon, 'cause it's been cloudy all night
And the weatherman said if you're not well, stay in bed
'Cause I've been feeling down and blue and it's cloudy in my head
Instead of going out to some restaurant, I stay home in bed

But I'll be loving you, that's what I want to do
I'll be loving you, that's what I want to do

Hello, midnight lover, you're the one I adore
And I'll be thinking of you 'til the stars are no more
If it's cloudy or blue, I'll stay here with you
We'll make a wish, and then we'll kiss, a love forever true
Instead of going out to some restaurant, I'll stay here with you

It seems you don't know we reached the hightened mountain
Every time I seem to disappear
And together, we will fly, we'll dance up in the heaven
I can really feel it when you're near

And the weatherman said if you're not well, stay in bed
'Cause I've been feeling down and blue and it's cloudy in my head
Instead of going out to some restaurant, I stay home in bed

[x6]

Loving you, that's what I want to do

Last edited:
Hi, Magicgirl! You're one of the few faithful ones in this thread. :)

It seems you don't know we reached the hightened mountain
Every time I seem to disappear
And together, we will fly, we'll dance up in the heaven
I can really feel it when you're near

Yes, these lyrics here seem to mesh well with a lot that has been thrown back and forth in here in the past, and would be fitting, then, for interpretation. :yes: Care to give it a try?

Last edited:
I am not good in any interpretations, but I like to read someone's. I think in the song the state is described in which we all were in some period of time, when it is better to stay in bed and dream about something good or someone one can be fancying of instead of getting out and meeting all day problems :) Tomorrow will be 5 years since MJ is gone. Would never think about it if they didn't have it in the news online. So it reminded me I should drop into this forum to see if there is something interesting to read here.

Omg ahhhhhh i totally forgot but this thread!!!!!

How are u all?

Omg i remember this thread when it started like 6 years ago!!! This has to be a world record! lol

Sorry I keep resurrecting this and disappearing but I am lost out there in the sea of new threads. This one is like an old comfy teddy bear. When I think about everyone here, I think mostly about this thread and so I come over to say hello and let you all know I'm thinking of you. We sure had some good times. As good as can get online. Imagine what fun we would have in person! :) But imagination can only take you so far without pushing beyond that. I think you'd all be my best of friends in person. As it is, we get to be in each others memories... mostly fond... I actually am trying to think of anything less than fond and can't :). You all were there for me through some of the most difficult moments of my life when I couldn't really be around people that way in person anyways (due to just being an introverted person and hard to get to know in person). Maybe it wouldn't be that way in person and I should just be content to say you've all been great friends in the way we all could be here. Heck, maybe you've all forgotten me and you'll come here and wonder what I am yammering on about. I just came back for nostalgia and to say thanks and I miss us all. I am enjoying life, but sometimes I still really miss all this and you guys. I miss seeing MJ's pictures and reading stories about what he's up to and feeling guilty enjoying them at the expense of his privacy. I miss all of our playing around with interpreting his lyrics and speculating on what could be...but mostly just creating such romantic fables. I wonder how close we ever got to what the truth was. :) It's a sweet place here. I hope he did enjoy it while he was here, as we had.

Till next time :)

Thanks for the flowers WJ, they smell beautiful! And that candy....yummmmm! Yes it was an absolute blast! in every way. Happy Holidays to you Ape and to all the veteran LITD vets and lurkers alike! :) Happy 2015! (...well as 'happy' as it can be without MJ. t

p.s. AllforMJ ever come back? :unsure: don't think she did. I miss you all too

Love (real love by definition) doesn't die

Love U all

Last edited:
Back