Does MJ own his own catalog, 100%?

He Owns his own songs. he has the outright copyright on his songs. now the Masters is where the real big money kicks in and He should be getting all of that real soon. the whole re-release re masters that MJ gave to Sony along with Invincible, and the box set and that Number ones Project were a trade off. now MJ is Smart as a Whip to maintain a Business association with Sony with the whole Sony/Atv association. that is constant money coming in. that deal alone means that sony has to pay him and not spread no BS about his money,etc..... put it like this, even if MJ had debts that were big, Sony would have to pay him a half a Billion dollars just to clear ties with him and he walks with his masters on top of that and in the future there is always gonna be demand for his catelog so MJ will be set for his lifetime through his Great,Great,Great Grandkids lifetime just as long as he handles his business and continues have the right lawyers,etc...

MJ is a Boardroom member at sony and that is big time money. there isn't another artist that is in the same bag as MJ over at Sony. that Man is Gangsta. Catelog, Publishing and Masters is where the real loot is at. that is a veteren Artist's Pension, Social Security, health care etc.... the same reality is that so many artists get older and only get peanuts to half a crack of a nut and have to work like slaves until they drop dead.[/b]

you got it, Max.. I posted my comments before I saw this.. but you are so right..

Michael is the Mac.. in this business..........Diddy and JayZ.. wish they were in the position that Michael has.. that would be the next level..

I can just imagine if he did go ahead and purchase the Motown catalog too...I heard.. he didn't do it.. because alot of those artist ..he grew up with..and they didn't appreciate.. if Michael was the one calling the shots on their songs..

but.. the nice thing about the he's broke stories..everyone keeps underestimating him..

I would like to get permission from STAFF to type about what music MJ owns.. I'm not sure it's ok because it has to do with finances, Not how much he HAS/HAD or amount OWED/OWES.. But it has to do with selling rights, buying rights, and loan trades that shows whrere Michael is standing right now with his music rights..

If it's OK, please give the OK.. It will be an interesting read for some..

Yes i hope you get the ok just to see what you got on what he owns anyways i sure Michael will do fine he is a very smart man. thanks kopv.

^^ Ya

and Staff.. I perpously keep out all #s out.. I mention a percentagesa few times.. like 50% of Sony-ATV etc.., but that is it.. I keep out anything that gives detailes into money amounts.. It just shows business and deals made that have deals with money.. Not money in itself

To clear up a confusion a few posts ago... When someone owns the rights to a song they have the rights to the MASTERS as well.. you OWN the song, no 1 can do anything without YOUR permission so the master becomes worthless to them.. Infact once you have the RIGHTS to a song, the other company is not allowed to even have the song in stock.. At some extreme points, they could get in trouble for using the Title.. For example lets say I was a part of Sony music, but I left Sony and kept the rights to my music.. If they list my songs as a list on their website as a #1 hit of SONY's I could sue them for it.. Only if it is for Historical business reasons.. Basically they could not use my music/title of songs/my name (Stage name) like Prince, Jackson 5 etc.. for there gain in anyway.. Promotion etc..

So if Michael owns the RIghts to his music, he owns the rights to the masters.. He would probably not have them in his possesion, but all he would have to do is say the word and BAM, in his hands..

It's 2008 when he'll get his masters because in his album deal they agreed that after his last studio album Sony owns his masters for SEVEN years.

quote:

Michael has always had more control over his music... than other artist...

---

I don't think he had so much control especially in Invincible... I think Sony select the songs more than what Michael wants.

SONY does not own MJ's music/masters, MJ does but he nor Sony has full control over it. Another company does.. I would like to type about it still, but I have not gotten the O.K. and I just do not want to get in trouble, I don't THINK it's a big deal to write about it, but I know sometimes I'm wrong.. lol!

SONY does not own MJ's music/masters, MJ does but he nor Sony has full control over it. Another company does.. I would like to type about it still, but I have not gotten the O.K. and I just do not want to get in trouble, I don't THINK it's a big deal to write about it, but I know sometimes I'm wrong.. lol![/b]

Do you mean warner chapell? they only administer his catalogue they don't own his masters or any rights to any of MJ's catalogues. MJ has 100% publishing rights to all his songs... check the song listing in his catalogue on Warner Chappel's website.

I also think as long as you're not putting any private financial, like real figures you should be ok to post here your analysis of the whole masters/publishing thing.... but mods will tell you if not..

MJ is a Boardroom member at sony and that is big time money.[/b]

i also believe that he has a salary coming from his board room position too. :flowers:[/b]

I'm surprised to hear about him being a member of the Sony board - maybe I missed that, but it's nowhere in the official documents of Sony. As Sony is a publicly traded company they have to release such information. Does anyone know anything about it? thanks

MJ is a Boardroom member at sony and that is big time money.[/b]

i also believe that he has a salary coming from his board room position too. :flowers:[/b]

I'm surprised to hear about him being a member of the Sony board - maybe I missed that, but it's nowhere in the official documents of Sony. As Sony is a publicly traded company they have to release such information. Does anyone know anything about it? thanks

I'm surprised to hear about him being a member of the Sony board - maybe I missed that, but it's nowhere in the official documents of Sony. As Sony is a publicly traded company they have to release such information. Does anyone know anything about it? thanks[/b]
That is Sony/atv. He has to be. He owns 50% of it. He has to agree any decision they make. He gets a salary from it too.

I'm surprised to hear about him being a member of the Sony board - maybe I missed that, but it's nowhere in the official documents of Sony. As Sony is a publicly traded company they have to release such information. Does anyone know anything about it? thanks[/b]
That is Sony/atv. He has to be. He owns 50% of it. He has to agree any decision they make. He gets a salary from it too.

That is Sony/atv. He has to be. He owns 50% of it. He has to agree any decision they make. He gets a salary from it too.[/b]

oh thanks, I knew about Sony/ATV but got confused when reading just Sony

That is Sony/atv. He has to be. He owns 50% of it. He has to agree any decision they make. He gets a salary from it too.[/b]

oh thanks, I knew about Sony/ATV but got confused when reading just Sony

I am so happy to read that Michael has his music. I once read that he said that he would never end up like the black performers before him who lost control of their music. Duke Ellington, Little Richard, Fats Domino and many many more. I also read that Michael gave Little Richard back his songs after he had purchased them. You go Michael!!!!!! It's been said that he is shewed as hell. That 's right Mike, show them how it's done.

I am so happy to read that Michael has his music. I once read that he said that he would never end up like the black performers before him who lost control of their music. Duke Ellington, Little Richard, Fats Domino and many many more. I also read that Michael gave Little Richard back his songs after he had purchased them. You go Michael!!!!!! It's been said that he is shewed as hell. That 's right Mike, show them how it's done.

No I don't mean Warner Chepell. I have asked staff for the OK. to say why Michael does not have full control.. Yes he OWNS it, but he cannot do what he wants with it.. It even has to do why he did not end his contact with Sony after Invincible..

No I don't mean Warner Chepell. I have asked staff for the OK. to say why Michael does not have full control.. Yes he OWNS it, but he cannot do what he wants with it.. It even has to do why he did not end his contact with Sony after Invincible..

I think Sony will still be able to rerelease back catalogues albums (all the classic ones) as long as they have an agreement with Mj or sometjing.
That's exactly what's happening with THRILLER 25 right now.

I'm afraid someday Sony releases a MJ remix album like they did for Mariah carey.
Honestly, would you buy that kind of product?

No I don't mean Warner Chepell. I have asked staff for the OK. to say why Michael does not have full control.. Yes he OWNS it, but he cannot do what he wants with it.. It even has to do why he did not end his contact with Sony after Invincible..[/b]

He DID end his "artist" relationship with Sony after Invincible.. all he owed them was the box sets and it was over. Michael IS NOT currently an Sony artist. HE does not have a recording contract with them so really in that sense he did end the relationship.

About the Masters the agreement was to end much much later after the "recording" contract. Hence the reason Sony still has them and hence the reason MJ is listed as an artist on their site that's because they still have the masters for now and that's why they can still re-release a bunch of things as they are now until that contract is over. I thought it would be over this year but it looks like it will next year.

I'm curious to hear about this other company and also when his relationship with "this other company" will end. Does it end next year? Did you PM staff for permission? post in the "talk to staff" section and get someone to give you permission as you've been asking for it for a while. From the rules I think you can't post actual money figures but all other info should be OK.

Has anyone forgot about MJ selling 25% of SONY-ATV to SONY?? So MJ owns 25% not 50% anymore.. Has everyone fortten??

Has anyone forgot about MJ selling 25% of SONY-ATV to SONY?? So MJ owns 25% not 50% anymore.. Has everyone fortten??[/b]

he still owns 50% of Sony/ATV.. that 25% deal was only if he defaulted on the loan, and at that time Sony would have the option to buy it

Has anyone forgot about MJ selling 25% of SONY-ATV to SONY?? So MJ owns 25% not 50% anymore.. Has everyone fortten??[/b]

You know what ? I think he should have never shared this catalogue with Sony in 95...

you may joking, but I believed that it was just in the case or he could not pay off any more his loan

I agree that Mike should have left it alone in 1995.. BUT at the time it looked like a GREAT idea.. So he would have never known all that would happen out of it..

It ties into his music aswell, why he sold 25% more to Sony.. I have PMed 2 staff members to ask for the OK to talk about it.. But have gone ignored.. IDK why.. But, I am guessing they are IFFY so they don't want to say NO or YES..

I'm not sure to take the no responce as a 'whatever' like they don't care or not..

He hasn't sold 25% to Sony. They have an option to buy 25% of the catalog should Michael default on his loan payments. I think that's how it works. If not, someone correct me. They would have to pay him a humongo amount to him for it though, and that option runs out sometime in the near future, so I really doubt it's gonna happen.

He hasn't sold 25% to Sony. They have an option to buy 25% of the catalog should Michael default on his loan payments. I think that's how it works. If not, someone correct me. They would have to pay him a humongo amount to him for it though, and that option runs out sometime in the near future, so I really doubt it's gonna happen.[/b]
That is what I thought as well.

On April 14th 2006 Michael Jackson struck a deal with Sony and Fortress Investments. Sony was allowed to take control of half of Jackson's stake in Sony/ATV Music Publishing which Mike co-owns. Jackson was left with 25% of the catalogue, with the rest belonging to Sony.

^^ SONY released an official statement regarding this the same week.. Also Ms. Bain that same week released a statement saying that Michael "restructured his finances with the assistance of Sony."

Screw it.. No staff is saying NO do not type... so!!!

Mike ownes his music under 'Mijac' his company.. along with a couple other artists songs.. To sum it up, Michael used Mijac as COLLATERAL to hold two LOANS.. Meaning the BANK held official control of what happens WITH the music...

Remember when Mike wanted to leave SONY?? Well, the Bank offered SONY to buy the 'Mijac' after it's value went under the amount the bank agreed to hold it for.. Which means he needed to find more collatoral.. (His Neverland Ranch and the family home), Sony threatened Michael that if he LEAVES them before the contract is up, they will buy 'Mijac' and he'll leave Sony without his own music.. This is a MAJOR reason why Mike stayed with Sony. (They THREATENED) him..

More in the Sony conspiracy:
Michael sold 25% of his 50% (Sony-ATV) rights to sony, in a trade that they would use that money to pay off the loans.. SONY paid the full Loans except for 10% PURPOUSLY so the Bank would still have control of his music OVER MICHAEL.. And give Sony more POWER to keep Mike under their wings..At this point Michael took Neverland and the Family home off of 'collateral' but the 10% still held 'Mijac'

mean while the Bank sold the loan to Fortress Investment with a 20% interest rate.. (Which is high)

No, I'm pretty sure that Sony released a statement regarding this stating that they and Michael struck a deal in which, should Michael fail to pay off his loans, meaning should he default on his loans, Sony will pay them off. It was widely misreported by the media that he had sold half of his catalog off. Sony has the option to buy out 25% of the Sony/ATV catalog by acting as a financer to Michael. Michael hasn't yet defaulted though, and I doubt he will. If Sony wanted to buy one half of his 50%, it was stated that they would have to pay him upwards of 1 billion dollars for it if I recall correctly. I may be wrong here, so someone like aveeno or Denis should come in and help me. A payment of that type would knock Sony as a company off balance for some time, so its highly unlikely that they will exercise this option.

Back