Exclusive: Michael Jackson TV Movie 'Searching for Neverland' from Emmy Winning Motown Veteran

Any way to watch this online or something? I can't really get those channels in Europe but I'm interested anyway.

By the way, I'm glad to see this board is still active. I haven't logged in in a long time but went looking online for this film and MJJC was the place to go I guessed.

Any way to watch this online or something? I can't really get those channels in Europe but I'm interested anyway.

By the way, I'm glad to see this board is still active. I haven't logged in in a long time but went looking online for this film and MJJC was the place to go I guessed.

Here you go enjoy.

Last edited:
Yeah, just seen it & agree. Taking it as face value, it's heartbreaking though. My stomach lurched when they showed the footage of Jermaine on June 25th.

"Maybe Neverland is just a normal life" - that line hit me.
My sentiments exactly, June 25th 2009 all over again..
I couldn't go on watching, fortunately, that's the end part.

People that pick on this movie is overlooking all the positivity that came from this movie.. it addressed many negative rumors on Michaels life which I don't think is being appreciated.. From his humanity, to showing a 'black side' to him, him being a good father, showing the normalcy/explaining the masks the children wore, and showing him with a woman.. These are things that show normalcy to him that are not often showcased if at all... These are the things people should be appreciating.

Really? So let's overlook the terrible acting, the fact Navi makes Michael look like a drag queen and not to mention the fact that this movie makes Michael look like an unstable spoiled child who couldn't take care of himself? No way.

Dutchie it's not about overlooking anything, it's appreciating the effort and work that went into something.. Coming from an MJ fan base that we have gotten so much anti MJ documentaries/shows/articles we should be able to appreciate when effort is put into to show a human/real side to him..

Navi was not my first choice but who would I be "happy" with? Aside from Ecas (which I don't know his acting skills) I can't say someone else could do better.. maybe, maybe not.. I would be setting everyone up to fail if I expected a dead on performance.. Its nooo exaduration that Michael was ONE of a kind, there would be no one to pull it off to our expectations/desire.

Would I give the movie an A+? no! for the reasons fans that don't like it mentioned - but I can't say I hate it for the reasons I stated.. Have you seen the 2004 movie 'Man In The Mirror' with Flex Alexander? Cuz THAT would be a film to trash.. this is far better

I enjoyed this film. I had no expectations going in but ended up liking it overall. Navi's accent wasn't great and it would have been elevated if they had been allowed to use MJ's music but it wasn't that bad at all. I agree with TonyR also about the "maybe Neverland is just a normal life" line. That was definitely something MJ yearned for in his life. Taken at face value it was alright for what it was.

I will admit that I was extremely skeptical about this movie and I was unsure as to whether or not I wanted to watch it. Lifetime has a horrible track record for celebrity biopics, so I was worried. However, I did end up watching it and it wasn't the total crap show that I was expecting it to be. I do believe this movie is intended to be pro-MJ and I think that comes across fairly well despite the acting. If you read the book it is based on (I did), then that's pretty much it. I thought the movie was very humanizing. It showed a side of Michael that has never been shown to the public before. I also didn't feel frustrated or disappointed after it was over like I have with other MJ "specials." Then again, I didn't feel completely satisfied either. I'd simply rate it average.

I think Navi overacted a lot. I asked myself several times, "Why does he shout so much?" He was a bit too dramatic and loud at some parts, and didn't really capture Michael's total character (then again, nobody really can). Still, I think he tried to be as genuine as possible. Chad Coleman ("Bill") was excellent. He used to be on The Walking Dead and was great on there too.

Let's be honest here: This movie is many, many steps above that horrific MITM movie.

It is kind of sad how low our expectations have become. Just because it isn't as horrible as MITM it doesn't mean it is a good movie. I don't think it is. It still has a very one-dimensional and at times caricature-like portrayal of MJ. I don't really see MJ in the character that Navi is playing.

That's because none of us knew MJ at all from around that time.I don't think many people did.

It didn't show him as one-dimentional at all. Sometimes he was happy & playful, sometimes paranoid & angry, sometimes hurt & upset.

For someone who'd been through what he'd been through I found it very believable. I don't think you expect something that shows him to be the perfect man some may want him to be & won't be happy until it's some rose-coloured deity shown on screen.

It is kind of sad how low our expectations have become. Just because it isn't as horrible as MITM it doesn't mean it is a good movie. I don't think it is. It still has a very one-dimensional and at times caricature-like portrayal of MJ. I don't really see MJ in the character that Navi is playing.

Exactly, and it was awfully self-serving to his bodyguards -_- Then again, it was just a Lifetime biopic so I suppose we can't expect too much. I hope one day there will be an authorised film with gifted actors that explores all aspects of Michael's life. Something like An American Dream but updated to 2009.

I didn't say nor do I believe this was a "good" movie, just that it's not as terrible as some of the other crap we've gotten. Nor was it completely accurate either. All I was saying was that it's average with good intentions. Would I watch it again? Probably not. I didn't enjoy it all that much, but I didn't despise it either.

I wasn't particularly keen on Navi's portrayal of Michael either. As I said before, he was overly dramatic in his performance and MJ (in the movie) came across as whiny at times because of it.

Michael Jackson and his life are as complex as they come, and he will be difficult for anybody to portray accurately. It's difficult to channel whatever MJ was feeling in his last years after the trial because nobody can comprehend it unless they were in his shoes. We may never get a "good" biopic no matter who is behind the project.

Last edited:
That's because none of us knew MJ at all from around that time.I don't think many people did.

It didn't show him as one-dimentional at all. Sometimes he was happy & playful, sometimes paranoid & angry, sometimes hurt & upset.

For someone who'd been through what he'd been through I found it very believable. I don't think you expect something that shows him to be the perfect man some may want him to be & won't be happy until it's some rose-coloured deity shown on screen.
Seeing him as a deity would be worse than a caricature. I hope I have time this weekend to watch this with my full attention instead of watching while working.
The parts I saw weren't too different than the home movie clips and the only one who came off whiny to me was Paris.

Well, seen it. It's better than Man in the Mirror. I don't think they will ever get an actor who looks more like MJ than Navi does. It's pretty corny though and I know where most scenes come from, they're on youtube, like Prince getting the puppy, and MJ shopping like it's Living with MJ. The strange telephone voice you can hear in the 'Akon MJ prank call'. Other scenes I think are "highly unlikely".. like MJ making out with the girl in the car and going out, some guy just insults him.. but they gave MJ the sympathetic treatment.

Seeing him as a deity would be worse than a caricature. I hope I have time this weekend to watch this with my full attention instead of watching while working.
The parts I saw weren't too different than the home movie clips and the only one who came off whiny to me was Paris.
It's not the greatest thing you'll ever see but it's certainly not the worst either. Navi's portrayal is a little annoying at times but I have yet to see anyone perfectly capture every single little nuance MJ had, and this period of his life is especially difficult to capture I would imagine.

But it does humanise him and takes a sympathetic and understanding look at his life at that point. I don't think anyone watching it -especailly a fan- should be expecting anything close to perfect from a low budget Liftime bio. It's well intended and shows his longing for normality for his kids and himself.

Just because it wasn’t the worst thing you've ever seen, it doesn't mean it deserves to be praised or considered a good movie. Not even in the excerpts I've read from the bodyguards book Michael came across as bossy, demanding, needy or whiny drama queen as Navi portrayed him. And as commented by some of the people who have read the book, the bodyguards don't come across as that self-serving as they were made in the movie, neither they presented themselves as friends and saviors. At some moments it was sympathetic to MJ but I don't think it was a positive thing Navi made him look like a useless and unstable damsel in distress who constantly needed to be saved.

Last edited:
Why is it that peoples portrayal of other famous people can be so far off and we rave how good a movie was but when it's Michael and someone does put in the work we only pick out the flaws? I don't see it as 'low expectations' its a matter of being realistic.. If you all are waiting for a perfect person to come out to play a Michael Jackson of the later years and pull it off on an extreme level.. you'll have to keep waiting..

That person would have to
* Resemble Michael Jackson A lotttt
* have great acting skills
* would have to be able to be TRUSTED with good intentions
* perfect timing and gesturing as Michael did
* have studied Michael a lot
* Sound like Michael
* Speak like Michael

The list goes on.. Why can't we pick on movies like Walk The Line, aviator, social network, and many others..? If we were true fans of these other people we would be like.. no that person doesn't speak that way, walk that way, act that way.. he's too aggressive, etc.

I get all the points that some don't like.. I get it, but at the same time when showing Michael in vulnerable and hard situations specifically it will showcase him in a different state.. If the movie was about him making music and breaking records we would have seen a happier more enjoyable side to watch.. this was at a low point in his life.. a point in his life that pushed him to death.. literally! If you think he crossed over with fairy dust.. no! he was dealing with a lot.. and that would show him not in the most flattering light!

^ Than your complaint really should be with the book!? that one dimensional view that your speaking of is details that were brought out by the book.. no? or are you speaking specifically to his acting being one dimensional. If the movie was based on the book and that's where the stories came from.. than..

Why is it that peoples portrayal of other famous people can be so far off and we rave how good a movie was but when it's Michael and someone does put in the work we only pick out the flaws? I don't see it as 'low expectations' its a matter of being realistic.. If you all are waiting for a perfect person to come out to play a Michael Jackson of the later years and pull it off on an extreme level.. you'll have to keep waiting..

That person would have to
* Resemble Michael Jackson A lotttt
* have great acting skills
* would have to be able to be TRUSTED with good intentions
* perfect timing and gesturing as Michael did
* have studied Michael a lot
* Sound like Michael
* Speak like Michael

We're talking about a guy who calls himself the 'number one Michael Jackson impersonator' so the things mentioned above are EXACTLY what one would expect from a 'number one' and expecting anything less is definitely lowering our standards. When it comes to Michael there is no way I would do that.

Last edited:
Respect, I did not read the book.. from what I've seen is people have said they are very similar.. and that is why I stated what I did as a question. "thank your complaint should be with the book!?"

Dutchie - We've all seen Navi on stage, we know he's not the greatest.. You know how many impersonators call themselves the "#ONE", the main reason why Navi has used that term for promotion is because his bookings.. #1 does not always mean quality as you know.. You book 10 gigs and I book 2.. You're #1! I've brought up E'cas often in this thread.. I would have personally loved to see him do it! why he was not considered I don't know.. but the fact he wasn't, my default choice after - I don't know of anyone else that would have done a better job.. when I consider all of the above.. There are some that can do this or that better.. but to put it all together is another feat!

Respect, I did not read the book.. from what I've seen is people have said they are very similar.. and that is why I stated what I did as a question. "thank your complaint should be with the book!?"

Dutchie - We've all seen Navi on stage, we know he's not the greatest.. You know how many impersonators call themselves the "#ONE", the main reason why Navi has used that term for promotion is because his bookings.. #1 does not always mean quality as you know.. You book 10 gigs and I book 2.. You're #1! I've brought up E'cas often in this thread.. I would have personally loved to see him do it! why he was not considered I don't know.. but the fact he wasn't, my default choice after - I don't know of anyone else that would have done a better job.. when I consider all of the above.. There are some that can do this or that better.. but to put it all together is another feat!

Hm. Maybe you're right but then it's still a very arrogant thing to do to call oneself the number one when you KNOW you're simply not as good as many others out there. Maybe he should have been humble enough to say there's impersonators who could have done a better job. But Navi is Navi and I guess the fame and money was more important to him than making sure Michael was portrayed accurately and fairly.

I don't understand why others weren't considered either. For me personally Earnest Valentino would have been perfect for the job but I guess we just think differently on that one. And that's okay. :)

I have the book but couldn't finish it because it was too sad. I watched the movie with an open mined. I actually liked most of it. I liked for example the fact that the movie showed how the children only had the masks when MJ was with them. There where somethings that i didn't believe and things that could be explained better but overall the movie was well done! JMO

I watched this a few weeks back around the anniversary but I haven't got round to commenting yet. My overall view of it was that it was enjoyable and I liked a lot of it. I thought Navi was convincing at times (not his speaking so much, but mannerisms etc. I could even pinpoint interviews and clips that he was channeling at times with his speaking which felt weird, not a criticism at all. Like when he said Blanket! Blanket! He sounded exactly like MJ in the Bashir doc lol)

The only thing that bothered me is they portrayed Michael as naive, unrealistic and a bit demanding at times. It wasn't in the same vein as the book as the bodyguards didn't write it in that way, they were much more affectionate and understanding towards him. It got lost in translation sometimes imo. An example of this is when he was paying at the toy store and he was asking if they could just come back and pay tomorrow. Yes, that's what was written in the book but what was missing was the love of the portrayal. That's hard to get across I suppose, and I'm not even sure it's clear what I mean by how I'm writing this.

Overall not terrible, not great, somewhere in the middle. It was good at getting across how he was just a man, living in extraordinary circumstances just craving normality. A man who was very much under the control of so many different people with their own interests, rarely acting in his interest. Man I hate how it went down for MJ...

This might be a long shot but.. does anyone know the name of the song that played when they went Go Karting?
It's been stuck in my head for ages. I have no idea who is singing, but they're trying so hard to be Mike but comes across like a bad Ne-Yo impersonator.

^ I tried googleing lyrics and tried to get creative on finding it with no luck.. Have you tried playing the movie and shazaming it? I wanted to try it but I'm at work.. playing the video out loud would get some attention lol!

It is a catchy song though!!

^ I tried googleing lyrics and tried to get creative on finding it with no luck.. Have you tried playing the movie and shazaming it? I wanted to try it but I'm at work.. playing the video out loud would get some attention lol!

It is a catchy song though!!

Same!! :rofl: I tried to google the lyrics with no luck and shazaming didn't work unfortunately

If you find out please tell us

^ There is a chance that it was made specifically for the movie! fairly suitable for an MJ theme.. "i'm not like other guys" I think I heard! and a few MJ'esk 'hiccups' lol

Here's the review I wrote, for my Facebook page...

I just finished watching the Lifetime movie online, "Michael Jackson: Searching for Neverland". Beforehand, I was very suspicious; too much trash has been made since Michael's death. Thankfully, this wasn't one of them; instead, it shows the kind of man Michael wanted to be during his time away from the stage. Seen through the eyes of loyal bodyguards Bill Whitfield & Javon Beard, this movie was based on a book written by them...which makes me want to read it very soon. If even half of the events portrayed are true, then there's a completely different side to Michael very few ever knew about...and I can't imagine what they sacrificed to be in his world for those last two years.

As portrayed by professional impersonator Navi, the film's version of Michael reminded me very much, of what I'd read in Frank Cascio's book and seen in the rebuttal video to Martin Bashir's horrible trash-piece. I can't say Navi completely matches Michael (after all, who could?), but its very close, and respectful to boot. Holly Robinson-Peete appears as Michael's former publicist Raymone Bain...who in this, comes across very selfish and almost backstabbing. I haven't met or seen much footage of Mrs. Bain, so I can't comment on accuracy...but Mrs. Peete played the role with an almost disturbing sense of conviction.

Starletta DuPois appears in a few memorable scenes as Michael's mother Katherine, while Kristofer Gordon plays youngest brother Randy Jackson (not the talent-show judge). Richard Lawson has a few scenes as patriarch Joseph Jackson...but for some reason, his scenes mostly felt "off" somehow. I think it might have been his age; there's 20 years between him and Joseph in reality. Even accounting for the time setting (mostly 2007), I still felt a disconnection while watching Mr. Lawson's portrayal...but I can't place my finger on why.

All in all, its a very good film, examining events the mainstream American press rarely (if ever) objectively reported on...and I was emotionally moved by the end of it. Major respect to all involved; I'd prefer to think Michael would've liked it as well.

Last edited:
Back