Favorite Era

MJInTheMirror

Proud Member
I searched and there wasn't any thread about this. I know there has been a lot of discussions about this in a lot of threads, but I feel like this could be the one where we talk about this more.
I think each person's different MJ era has to do with how they were introduced to Michael, what was the first album they listened to and that kind of stuff.
My favorite era is always between Bad and Dangerous. I was introduced to MJ with the Dangerous album, and I loved most of it's songs, so it has a very special meaning to me. Also, the Bucharest concert was the first I ever saw.
But Man In The Mirror was the best song I heard, and I love most of the songs from the Bad album (I think Smooth Criminal was one of the first short films I ever saw).
So my fav era is Dangerous but Bad is a very close second. What about you?

This is easy BAD all the way.

274768_zps5dd5e38d.jpg

Last edited:
my favorite era has always been Jackson 5

Last edited:
I have been an MJ fan since the early 80s. And my top 3 favorite MJ eras has always been:

HIStory
Dangerous
Bad

In that order. The main 2 reasons why the HIStory era is my number 1 favorite. Is because of those very tight sexy gold pants. I was 16 at the time when I first saw him in them. I had never saw Michael wear anything so very hot and so very sexy as he did with those gold pants. And since that day I have been one of Michael's gold pants girls. And it was the HIStory Era where I can remember the entire era.

Thriller Era 1982 - 1984

For me, it is the Thriller era, because it was the most exciting personally. It was the first time I started listening to Michael Jackson and getting into his music, videos and dancing. Also it is an important era, as the album changed him from being a major R&B star with some pop appeal, to a global musical icon and superstar, through the superior singles Beat It and Billie Jean, the Motown 25 Moonwalk appearance and then the Thriller video, along with the 8 grammies in early 1984.

It was a time when Michael Jackson went from being a big star to the global megastar. Billie Jean was many people's first introduction to the sound and power of Michael Jackson. Thriller was an iconic album that set the stage for all his later success and it was a springboard for other icons like Prince, Madonna and Whitney Houston to blast into the big leagues from. Thriller also revived the pop music sales industry after a big slump in the post disco wasteland.

Thriller and its singles hold the warmest memories for me, they evoke feelings of happiness and laughter and they still sound perfect after all these years. Early memories of me aged 7 or so and hearing the number one song in the country again is Beat it by Michael Jackson, getting to watch it and then having my bath before I go tgo bed, with a Thriller Poster on the wall, something that became universal to us late Generation X kids. To me not saying the Thrller era (1982 - 1984) is the best is almost hearsay. But I really love the Bad and Dangerous eras too, those albums are even better than Thirller, but by that stage he was more established and had more experience. Plus would there be a Bad or Dangerous without the Thriller before it.

There is a NZ movie called Boy, which is set in 1984 based around a young Maori boy whose icon is Michael Jackson, and he loves to show the girls and everyone else his awesome Michael Jackson moves - reminded me a lot of how myself and most of the neighbourhood kids were back then.

Now, I enjoy the other eras but for me, it's the Bad era. :)

There is a NZ movie called Boy, which is set in 1984 based around a young Maori boy whose icon is Michael Jackson, and he loves to show the girls and everyone else his awesome Michael Jackson moves - reminded me a lot of how myself and most of the neighbourhood kids were back then.
I was dying to see that movie at the time-I saw several great trailers for it on YouTube but I never ever saw it playing at the indie theatre here or even on Pay for View. I need to check and see if it ever showed up there.

I was introduced to Michael at the Hollywood Palace by Diana Ross and Sammy Davis, Jr (and I was watching the show because a)we always did and b)they were two of my favorite entertainers. Loved him immediately and not sure if it was the music or those gigantic brown eyes. My favorite era runs from Destiny through BAD.

Any era that has Michael in it, but Bad tends to be my favorite. My earliest memories come from that era. Plus he looked great and everything was going well for him. My favorite short film has always been Smooth Criminal too.

My personal favorite albums are "Thriller", "Bad", and "Invincible". There's some tracks I like from "Dangerous" and "HIStory", but not as many by comparison.

In a sense I don't like to file him into different eras, especially since it can be a rather touchy subject, but performance wise it is definitely the Bad Era. That was the peak to me.

Performance wise - Bad
Songwriting & Creativity - Dangerous & HIStory

Definitely HIStory. The visuals, the music, the tour. Love it all.

My favorite Era is BAD ?

But I also LOVE Dangerous which is not really away from it an I would say History too, that was a petty cool one ??

If BAD is my favorite it's because we see another Michael, a sexy one and wild one, a strong MJ that is sure about every step he does and at the same time, he keep a sweet face and this mix is just sooo great !

I'm torn, but I think iI have to go with BAD era. It's what made me the fan I was back then and am today.

BUT the HIStory era was so so special. I think this was the era a lot of us got the most out of. I know it was definitely my happiest time as a fan, because we got so much around this time with little to no bullsh*t. His 2nd best album (IMO), so many music videos, an extra EP, a world tour, Ghosts, great promo performances at Award shows, Amazing music videos, Mtv MJ weekends often.

It's so so close but Bad edges it out for me- The best album of all time (IMO) backed up with amazing music videos and performances, the tour, the commercials, the magic, the hype. I was born in 86 but I do remember small bits of the era, namely Moonwalker and the Legend Continues being released.

The Bad era is what defined how an artist should be. Never hold back. Push. Express. Make art.

I'm torn, but I think iI have to go with BAD era. It's what made me the fan I was back then and am today.

BUT the HIStory era was so so special. I think this was the era a lot of us got the most out of. I know it was definitely my happiest time as a fan, because we got so much around this time with little to no bullsh*t. His 2nd best album (IMO), so many music videos, an extra EP, a world tour, Ghosts, great promo performances at Award shows, Amazing music videos, Mtv MJ weekends often.

It's so so close but Bad edges it out for me- The best album of all time (IMO) backed up with amazing music videos and performances, the tour, the commercials, the magic, the hype. I was born in 86 but I do remember small bits of the era, namely Moonwalker and the Legend Continues being released.

The Bad era is what defined how an artist should be. Never hold back. Push. Express. Make art.

Nice post.

As a fan there was so much to see, buy, collect in the Dangerous and HIStory eras. And it made it more special that you had to wait for things and then make that special trip out to buy them....what would the single art be, what would the B Sides be, will I catch the short film and have my VCR ready to record at that exact moment?

Very aware I sound old! But this was thrilling as a kid or teenager and was my main hobby.

The Bad thru History times really were eras. Take Dangerous, you had it starting in last half on 1991 with the BOW short film that set the world on fire, then album release, 9 singles, MTV10 performance, the world tour, Oprah interview, some of his best short films etc.

Bad - the album, tour, Moonwalk, Moonwalker, 7 singles and films.

Plus HIStory as you mention above.

This would take around two years at a time!!!

I miss this with music now, if you're lucky an artist may get one big hit single and then that campaign is over.

Last edited:
I agree with what you both said. and no, you don't sound old because that would make me sound old too lol :blush:
I remember it as clear as yesterday the day when HIStory came out. and BOTDF and ghosts, and everything. and of course, the tour. I could finally get to see him without being told I was too little :rolleyes: :lol:
and don't forget MJ and friends in 1999
wow, we got a lot of MJ in the 90's

Last edited:
I did this too when I was a kid. me and my cousin, I was 9 and he was 6. we would take a boomblaster playing Michael's music, and go out and dance, and people crowded around us to watch. and everyone thought I was a boy because I had short hair, and I DID look like a boy. but I didn't mind that people thought that, because that's what Michael was, and I thought it was kinda cool that people thought I was a boy like him :lol:

Considering that it was only in the early 90s I came to know about the man's existence, I suppose I should be considered a Dangerous/HIStory "baby". Nature and geopolitics can get in the way folks, they really can :p Still to this day I consider those two albums his most creative and socially engaging, but in the past few years I've developed a much closer connection with certain portions of Invincible. Although I found his dancing and his curls, his smile and his demeanor most intriguing, I was much more preoccupied with the messages he was trying to convey through his art and above all I was concerned with his well being, especially starting with 1993.

As far as favorite era though I will go ahead and say that if this question would have been posed before 25.06.09 I would have probably answered "the one that is still to come" :D As tacky and corny as that may sound I really think that if Michael had survived the best was yet to come.

I wonder what his favorite era was? Whatever it was, I hope it was the one when his dreams and reality merged ever so beautifully. But then again, I think every decade of his life had its high points, in spite of all dreadful moments. In the 70s he found his artistic calling and was presented to the world, well, most of it anyhow lol, in the 80s he achieved the success he had longed and worked so darn hard for, while in the late 90s and early 00s his dream of fatherhood, probably the most important one, came true. What a shame he couldn't be around longer. Who knows what other great things he could have done? I know I'm goin' a bit o/t with this cause the thread is supposed to be about our favorite era and I know you guys mean mostly the entertainment side of Michael's life, but I've never really been able to separate the man from the art...........

Last edited:
It's a very close call between bad an dangerous for me. I was born before bad came out, but when dangerous was released I really could enjoy it.

For me, it's the Bad era. He initially got my undivided attention with Thriller and it was exciting to witness his mega stardom then, as a teenager with hearts in my eyes for him, but during everything Bad related, he was everywhere; in the news, on television, interviews, video premieres, touring...Moonwalker, Moonwalk...I was twenty in 1989 and he had turned my head every time with whatever he was doing. I was (and still am) infatuated with his impeccable character, gentle personality, extraordinary talent, and wonderful sense of humor. But he really engraved his name on my heart forever during Bad. Dangerous is a very close second; still remember the short films and watching Bucharest DWT on HBO. :D

For me, it's the Bad era. He initially got my undivided attention with Thriller and it was exciting to witness his mega stardom then, as a teenager with hearts in my eyes for him, but during everything Bad related, he was everywhere; in the news, on television, interviews, video premieres, touring...Moonwalker, Moonwalk...I was twenty in 1989 and he had turned my head every time with whatever he was doing. I was (and still am) infatuated with his impeccable character, gentle personality, extraordinary talent, and wonderful sense of humor. But he really engraved his name on my heart forever during Bad. Dangerous is a very close second; still remember the short films and watching Bucharest DWT on HBO. :D

I hear that Dewey! Watching that unprecedented leap from famous to the most famous man on the planet, from successful to almost deity, from creative pop star to creative genius in all platforms was stunning.

Plus all without negativity, side swiping and innuendo.

Lovely time.

Back