Final 2009 albums sales update

Invincible has reached 16 mill worldwide. I read it somewhere I will try to find the source.

Oh, yes... I read that too... emmmm... I am sure I read it, since there was a comment saying "Well, if 16 millions is a failure, then I want my albums to fail" or something like that...

Best Of 2009: By-The-Numbers
http://www.billboard.com/column/cha.../best-of-2009-by-the-numbers-1004055720.story

RECORD NUMBERS: 2009 produced a bevy of chart milestones. Here is a look at some of the records established, and extended, during the past year.

The figures reflect some of the year's most buzzed-about artists, from veterans such as the Beatles and the late Michael Jackson to newer acts who rose to superstardom, including Lady Gaga and Billboard's Top Artist of 2009, Taylor Swift.

3: The title of Britney Spears' third, coincidentally, Billboard Hot 100 No. 1. "3" became the shortest title to reach the summit, passing the mark of three characters held by seven prior leaders: "Why" (Frankie Avalon, 1959), "ABC" (the Jackson 5, 1970), "War" (Edwin Starr, 1970), "Ben" (Michael Jackson, 1972), "Bad" (Jackson, 1987), "SOS" (Rihanna, 2006) and "Low" (Flo Rida, 2008) ...

4: Total No. 1s - and counting - for Lady Gaga on the Pop Songs airplay chart, the most by any artist to begin a career in the survey's 17-year history. Following "Just Dance," "Poker Face," "LoveGame" and "Paparazzi," 2010 could bring Gaga a record-padding fifth topper: "Bad Romance" rises 4-2 this week with Greatest Gainer honors ...

5: Career leaders on Adult Pop Songs for Nickelback, the most since the list launched in 1996. The song that set the mark, "Gotta Be Somebody," reigned for five weeks beginning in January ...

9: Or, more specifically, 9-9-09, the date that the Beatles re-released their entire catalog of studio albums and their accompanying "Rock Band" video game. On the subsequent Top Pop Catalog albums chart, the Fab Four owned nine of the top 10 and 15 of the top 18 spots. Radio station WCBS-FM/New York celebrated the onslaught with non-stop Beatles programming and a countdown, led by "Hey Jude," of the group's best-loved songs ...

10: Number of consecutive singles that Brad Paisley carried to the top of Country Songs, a three-year-plus streak culminating with the coronation of "Then" in June. Paisley's No. 1 run was the longest since Alabama succeeded 21 times-in-a-row from 1980 to 1987.

11: Weeks totaled atop the Billboard 200 for Taylor Swift's "Fearless." The run stands as the chart's longest reign in the 2000s and the best showing by a country female artist since the chart began incorporating Nielsen SoundScan data in 1991 ...

14: Frames spent at No. 1 on R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for both "Blame It" by Jamie Foxx, featuring T-Pain, and "Pretty Wings" by Maxwell. The songs mark just the fourth and fifth titles to reign for such a length since the chart's 1958 introduction. Mary J. Blige's "Be Without You" is the leader with 15 weeks at No. 1 in 2006 ...

21: Record amount of Michael Jackson titles that flooded the 75-position Digital Songs chart following the King of Pop's passing June 25 (along with four tracks by the Jackson 5). On the first survey after Jackson's death, six of his songs ranked in the top 10, led by "Thriller," "Man in the Mirror" and "Billie Jean" at Nos. 2-4 ...

25: Number of entries the "Glee" cast placed on the Hot 100, the most by any artist since the Beatles roared in with 31 titles in 1964. The act's curtain call of 2009, "Last Christmas," brought the modern holiday classic to the Hot 100 for the first time since Wham! originally released the song in 1984 ...

26: Total, and consecutive, weeks that the Black Eyed Peas commanded the Hot 100 - 12 for the year's top song, "Boom Boom Pow," and 14 for "I Gotta Feeling." The streak passed Usher's 19-week stretch at No. 1 in 2004 with "Yeah!" and "Burn" and made Usher and BEP the only acts in the Hot 100's 51-year archives to monopolize the top spot for at least half a calendar year ...

40: Number of toppers on Dance/Club Play Songs for Madonna, a record extended when the aptly-titled "Celebration" reached No. 1 in September. Could her 41st No. 1 be on the way? Her "Revolver," featuring Lil Wayne, is currently bubbling under the survey ...

44: Like Madonna, George Strait is in the exclusive club of artists to have earned 40 or more No. 1s on a Billboard survey. His "River of Love" upped his count to 44 leaders on Country Songs in April. Conway Twitty is the only other artist with 40 champions on a Billboard chart, having sent 40 songs to No. 1 on Country Songs from 1968 to 1986 ...

50: A landmark number associated with multiple renowned acts this year. The legendary Chubby Checker celebrated 50 years of charting in Billboard with a debut for "The Fly" on Hot Singles Sales in September. Checker first appeared on the Hot 100 dated May 23, 1959, with "The Class." With the debut of "H.A.T.E.U." on R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, Mariah Carey became one of only five women to reach 50 career entries in the chart's history. (And, of course, 50 marked the age of Michael Jackson at the time of his passing ...)

57: Number of top 10s on Country Songs for Reba McEntire, the most among all women since the chart's 1944 inception. When "Cowgirls Don't Cry" reached the top 10 in January, McEntire passed the 55 top 10s amassed by Dolly Parton ...

62: Total appearances Prince has made on R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, as "Better With Time" bowed in September. Since he first arrived with "Soft and Wet" on the July 29, 1978, chart, only Jay-Z (94) and R. Kelly (81) have totaled more entries than his Purpleness ...

76: Record-establishing total weeks spent on the Hot 100 for Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours." The track passed the 69-week stay of LeAnn Rimes' "How Do I Live" in 1997-98 ...

96: Number of spots that Kelly Clarkson's "My Life Would Suck Without You" vaulted (97-1) to the Hot 100 apex on the Feb. 7, chart. The record-breaking ascent bested the 95-position blast (96-1) of Britney Spears' "Womanizer" in October 2008 ...

742: After more than 21 years, Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" returned for a record-extending 742nd week on the Billboard 200. The set first appeared on the chart the week of March 17, 1973 ...

2009: Suffix of two former Hot 100 smashes that returned to Billboard charts this year. Michael Damian updated his own 1989 Hot 100 No. 1 with "Rock On (2009)," a No. 28 Adult Contemporary hit in May. In October, actress/singer Naturi Naughton reached No. 15 on Dance/Club Play Songs with "Fame 2009," a cover of Irene Cara's No. 4 Hot 100 hit from 1980 ...

10,000,000: Number of "Fireflies" that "lit up the world" as Owl City's Adam Young attempted to fall asleep. The song became one of just 11 Hot 100 leaders since 2000 - of 129 total - that also charted on Alternative Songs.

Thats all?

I wondered about the Billboard numbers and ... ta-da... nothing about Michael Jacksons breaking records for selling... just sh!ts... :doh:

They just wrote necessary info, simply they cant ignore at least the MJs passing..., but totally ignore the chart breaking success on the album charts...

Last edited:
I'm happy to see him outsell the Beatles by more than double. Some people even here on this board predicted the Beatles will easily outsell him, when their albums were out.

Thats all?

I wondered about the Billboard numbers and ... ta-da... nothing about Michael Jacksons breaking records for selling... just sh!ts...

They just wrote necessary info, simply they cant ignore at least the MJs passing..., but totally ignore the chart breaking success on the album charts...
That's so typical of them. You can see the different attitudes towards MJ, the 'other veteran' and 'the rising stars'. Trying to put it in the best way to acknowledge him while downplaying his achievement at the same time. They simply couldn't ignore him because of the impact of his shocking death.

Last edited:
So... can we change Wikipedia pages?
Could we together update the pages?

Smooth and co., what do you think?
kPfRLewAJVEQ0AAAAASUVORK5CYII%3D

Last edited:
Invincible has not sold 16 million copies, not even close. Michael Jackson's own website MJJ Source during the trial had Invincible sales at over 8 million. It has now been 5 years since this date, and the total sales now stand at 10 million since it's release.

Exactly Smooth_Criminal05, but... I didnt want to be me... who would write this.

Vote for Michael in the German teeny mag BRAVO.

Bravo has always been supportive and presenting Michael in the most positive light with an exclusive access to Michael.

They published tens of covers with Michael, tens of big posters, articles..., special editions...

Vote here - The best singer of the year 2009!

BRAVO.de - Stars - Mix - Otto-Wahl: Super-Sänger/innen!

76552_235.jpg

For those who want to know...

Top 10 best selling albums of the decade (2000 - 2009) in the USA by Nielsen SoundScan (dated to Dec. 9, 2009):

1. The Beatles - 1 (2000) - 11.5 mill.
2. N' Sync - No Strings Attached (2000) - 11.1 mill.
3. Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (2002) - 10.5 mill.
4. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP (2000) - 10.2 mill.
5. Eminem - The Eminem Show (2002) - 9.8 mill.
6. Usher - Confessions (2004) - 9.7 mill.
7. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (2000) - 9.6 mill.
8. Creed - Human Clay (1999) - 9.5 mill.
9. Britney Spears - Oops! … I Did It Again (2000) - 9.2 mill.
10. Nelly - Country Grammar (2000) - 8.5 mill.

Last edited:
What? Why has it already closed? Today is the last day of 2009. Also - I bought copies of both OTW and Invincible yesterday. I want them counted :( LoL.

Awesome stuff.

Thriller still sold the most. I would have sworn everyone on Earth right now has that album... guess not =P

Invincible has not sold 16 million copies, not even close. Michael Jackson's own website MJJ Source during the trial had Invincible sales at over 8 million. It has now been 5 years since this date, and the total sales now stand at 10 million since it's release.

Sorry, but this not explication. They how many million copies written for the Thriller ?
100 million ? I don't think so...
The 8 million data was obsolete in those days already. I knew about 8 million in 2002

In 2005 on MJJ Source, Thriller had sold 59 million copies globally according to official data from Sony. Since this time, Thriller has sold an additional 9 million copies globally (4 million in 2009, 3 million in 2008, 1 million in 2007, 1 million in 2006). That takes the current total to 68 million copies sold globally.

IF you include all single sales, music video sales, and all unit sales associated with the Thriller album then sales jump to 110 million. That's where that figure originated from.

those figures are global album sales and they seem mostly correct. Based on my own numbers, Jackson sold just over 80 million albums this past decade. It can be broken down like this:

Invincible: 10 million
Number Ones: 10.5 million
Essential: 4 million
King Of Pop: 2.5 million
HIStory Greatest Hits: 2 million
HIStory: 2 million
This Is It: 3.5 million
Thriller: 14 million
Bad: 6.5 million
Dangerous: 4.5 million
Off The Wall: 5 million
Jackson 5 Material: 6 million
Motown Albums: 4.2 million
Other: 6 million

Total= 80.7 million
where do u get these figures from smooth.is there anything offical cause i was thinking about this the other night u have 30 mill since june approx 10 mill of vince 7 mill of number ones and say 5-10 mill of the other g.hits releases sold b4 june and thriller 25.i dunno say 5 mill for that. where do the figues comes from for sales like dangerous. etc

... Ive been wondering about the numbers as for the charts.

We can make a list of MJs album sales, but I cant find one "official" on the net!

Why there is not Michael included on the lists of best sellers?

There are only reports about this year success, this is a list of best selling albums of the decade in the UK:
1. James Blunt - Back to Bedlam
2. Dido - No Angels
3. Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
4. Leona Lewis - Spirit
5. David Gray - White Ladder
6. The Beatles - 1
7. Dido - Life for Rent
8. Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head
9. Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters
10. Take That - Beautiful World

It pretty sucks that SONY is totally inactive... they now have an extraordinary chance to include all MJs records on the list of sold albums...
As for marketing they can now change all the info about selling records, upgrade all the numbers and finally make Michael Jackson the best seller (of the decade)..., and provide these latest numbers to RIAA, or whoever who is considered as a relevant music entity to be an official administrator of music statistics and records.

We fans here have many sources and info ..., but... who except us will now that?

Some of us could contact Sony Executives and ask them about that!

As fas as I know some Australian fans have some contact with Sony Australia, and had some exclusive info about Michael and This Is It project.

So ....?

and finally make Michael Jackson the best seller (of the decade)..., and provide these latest numbers to RIAA, or whoever who is considered as a relevant music entity to be an official administrator of music statistics and records.
but then they would have to pay $ to the estate. had bad been recertifyed since 94 yet?

...nah.... I really doubt that they have not been paying to Michael or The estate...., MJs death is "too official" to be ignored and that they could not afford - not to pay...

I personally have never believed that Sony would have been so unprofessional..., BUT I believe in a certain agenda, anyway its time to change that, they can see the impact and power of money invested in Michael..., its just the proof for them...
How much money does it cost (to pay RIAA or whoever as the official entity)? Its not a problem, if anybody else can pay for many other ... commercially less successful artists...

I think its worth contacting SONY, lets say the president of the biggest MJ web (MJJC) in the name of fans... (its just an example to make it official)

So, does this mean Michael's sales are leaning towards 800 Million now?

So, does this mean Michael's sales are leaning towards 800 Million now?

So that certainly not!

We are chatting about the realistic numbers..., and thats the problem a bit for SONY, they should admit either its not true the 800 mill. sales, or they would have to upgrade the lies and say its the 800 mill.

Thats why I think they let the people and fans take it seriously, and not officially confirm anything... the 750 mill. sales number, which is not true of course.

Sony are quite correct with the total sales of 750 million!!

Unfortunately, this total includes the ebay sales of fridge magnets and keyrings, lol . Happy new year all and all the best for 2010!!

Long live the king x

So that certainly not!

We are chatting about the realistic numbers..., and thats the problem a bit for SONY, they should admit either its not true the 800 mill. sales, or they would have to upgrade the lies and say its the 800 mill.

Thats why I think they let the people and fans take it seriously, and not officially confirm anything... the 750 mill. sales number, which is not true of course.

Sony are quite correct with the total sales of 750 million!!

Unfortunately, this total includes the ebay sales of fridge magnets and keyrings, lol . Happy new year all and all the best for 2010!!

Long live the king x

I am sorry, but you are mistaken.

Here are some members who have got more detailed info and can provide you the details.
There is the consensus of most of the fans that the 750 mill. number for albums is simply false (as well as the billion number for the Beatles or Elvis)

There is another thread about that....

Susan Boyle outsells Michael Jackson
Singer has her sights on best-selling album of the year

SUSAN Boyle has eclipsed Michael Jackson in album sales and is hoping to claim the best-selling album of the year.
Susan's debut I Dreamed A Dream has outsold pop king Michael Jackson's collection of hits by several thousand copies in the US.

The singer's album hit 2.3million sales in the US and she now has her sights set on eclipsing country popstar Taylor Swift's latest effort, which is sitting at 2.7 million copies.

A US chart forcaster said: “Susan is on the crest of a phenomenal sweep."

“Her album has been available only weeks and is already closing in fast on Taylor’s CD, which has been available all year. There is very little doubt that I Dreamed A Dream will end up as 2009’s top-seller.”

The singer has raced to the top of the charts in both Australia and Japan and sold six million CDs.

Despite her success the star recently revealed she's living off a meagre allowance of £200 a week.

OK! Magazine: First For Celebrity News :: Latest Celebrity News :: Susan Boyle outsells Michael Jackson
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Showbiz :: Susan Boyle is bigger than Jackson

See also my Elvis’ 75th birthday thread

Last edited:
the sales worlwide of thriller and bad is where 750 million came from and got a 175 million out of all of that because of these labels

My mum informed me that The Daily Express newspaper (UK) had a story today saying 'Susan Boyle bigger than Michael Jackson' it claimed she had outsold him in the US.

Why do they LIE about EVERYTHING?!!!!!

lol any chance to take a pot shot saddos even attack a dead man. its so pathetic considering mj has been outsold in the usa by whats her name swift. so why isnt her name used. oh sorry i forgot they are only intrested at taking potshots at mike. scum

Back