Gary Mayor to Announce "Move Forward" For Jackson Center *Merged*

How many belts do they need to sell to get to $300M? ( :) sorry I couldn't help myself)

anyway joking aside this family museum talk has been going on since 1995. I'll believe it when I see it, I guess.

The mayor says the money will come from investors and donations, but the city is donating 300 acres of land for the project.

Oh man, I wonder how the residents of Gary feel about that "donation."

I keep hearing about how poor they are, and just wonder what their thoughts may be.

And with a 300 MILLION DOLLAR price tag, all I can do is shake my dang head. LOL!

Michael Jackson's hometown of Gary, Ind., moves ahead with plans for $300 million museum
Jackson's hometown moves ahead with museum plans

http://www.newser.com/article/d9g3a...-ahead-with-plans-for-300-million-museum.html

By KAREN HAWKINS | ASSOCIATED PRESS | 8 minutes ago in Arts & Living

Work could begin next year on a $300 million museum and arts center dedicated to Michael Jackson in his hometown, his father and Gary officials announced Wednesday.

The late singer last visited Gary in 2003 to talk about the project, but no progress was made on it before his death last year. His father, Joe Jackson, said Wednesday that he was "just carrying out his legacy" by getting involved.

"This is a happy day for me because this is something that my family and Michael have always wanted," Joe Jackson said. "We're bringing something back."

Gary Mayor Rudy Clay said the project would create thousands of jobs and, when finished, was expected to bring at least 750,000 visitors a year to the city. He estimated it would generate $100 million to $150 million in income for the community each year.

"This project will be the magnet that will draw people from all over the world," Clay said.

The money to build the Jackson Family Museum and Hotel and the Michael Jackson Performing Arts and Cultural Center and Theaters will come from investors and donations, Clay said.

After years of promises about the project but no action, residents were cautiously optimistic. People said they were hopeful because Wednesday's announcement was the furthest along the project has ever come, with the city's donation of 300 acres of land.

Police Chief Gary O. Carter was impressed by Joe Jackson's presence.

"Why would he come all the way here if it wasn't" going to happen, Carter said.

Seretha Harvey, 24, grew up in Gary and said she hoped the project would happen, and that it would bring jobs and help change people's image of the financially struggling city.

"I've been in and out of Gary for the past few years, and I've seen it deteriorate. I'm worried about whether this is actually going to matriculate," she said, but added, "I'm optimistic about it."

When you consider the fact that the ESTATE is most likely to be on board with this, at least the portions related directly to Michael; he has a LOT of wealthy friends to get things started, it's not that unlikely, IF they know EXACTLY where the money is going and EVERYTHING is being done the RIGHT way, as in the way Michael would expect. After that, WE can donate from around the world.

I hope it really does come to pass :angel:

the estate will never be involved with Joe.

there will be probably a MJ museum in Las Vegas or LA.

the estate will never be involved with Joe.

there will be probably a MJ museum in Las Vegas or LA.

I hear you, however...
I never say never.

With the land already donated, this is potentially a good investment, Indiana is where it ALL started, AND Ms. Katherine IS part of the estate.

Re: Gary Mayor to Announce "Move Forward" For Jackson Center

I doubt if this is going to come to fruition if they are planning to use sales of belt to finance such an ambitious project.Some of the residents in Gary dont even think it's going to happen cause a former mayor also promised to build a civil rights museum and collected money from the state.The museum was never built and the money was never accounted for so obviously they are skeptical and dont trust this mayor too.

It would be nice if a family museum is built but they should be prepared for hardwork and get investors instead of looking for quick money making schemes using michael's fans.Gary needs the revenue,if you've been there before you would be surprised it's a town in USA,Looks just like a village in third world country.Personally,I would love a Michael jackson museum in LA or las vegas but there is no harm in having a jackson family museum too.

corruption in politics. man, i could never imagine such a thing. lol

It really will be up to Michael Jackson's children: Prince, Paris, and Blanket
to determine when, where, and how the legacy of their father will be continued. :yes:

"This project will be the magnet that will draw people from all over the world," Clay said.

The money to build the Jackson Family Museum and Hotel and the Michael Jackson Performing Arts and Cultural Center and Theaters will come from investors and donations, Clay said.

:2cents:
don't tell me this is not business. they are in a hurry, for they want to be the first to come out with something, especially when they know there is really no place for fans to gather, if you get what I mean (we get together anyway, I know).

Ok, let's wait and see.
I just hope and wish Michael's name will not be trashed again :no:. Besides that, I don't care. Being a business, in Gary, they can do it or not and then we can decide if going/not going.

whatever -_-

jackson-museum-cp-8787207.jpg

Jackson_Museum_INJS101.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

This artist's rendition provided on Wednesday, June 2, 2010, in Gary, Ind by the Gary Mayor Rudy Clay's office shows the proposed Michael Jackson Performing Arts and Cultural Center which is to be built in Gary, Ind. (AP Photo/ Gary Mayor Rudy Clay's office)
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/06/02/jackson-museum-plans.html#ixzz0pjOY1nu4

Last edited:
Because the location is Gary, Indiana, this project doesn't sound as enticing as it should.

:( GEEZ, I hope they can work something out. There is no reason why there can't be two...except for greed.

MJ's estate not part of Gary's 'Family' plan

Gary, Ind. - Joe Jackson announced Wednesday that he's working on a Michael Jackson museum in the family's hometown of Gary -- but Michael Jackson's attorneys are saying not so fast.

Mayor Rudy Clay says the Jackson family has resurrected hope in Gary, and that they’ve picked out a site in town for the complex by Gilroy Stadium, at Indiana University.

But the official Michael Jackson estate -- the people in charge of his money and his children-- say they have not been consulted and have nothing to do with this.

"The Estate of Michael Jackson was never consulted about, nor is it involved in, the Jackson Family museum being proposed in Gary, Indiana," attorney Howard Weitzman told the Gary Post-Tribune .

"Michael Jackson's music, name, likeness, memorabilia and other intellectual property are assets exclusively owned by the Estate for the benefit of his children, his mother during her lifetime... and cannot be exploited legally without written authorization from the Estate," he said.

Weitzman told the Post-Tribune that estate attorneys are working on a "world-class museum... at a site yet to be determined."

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpps/entertainment/michael-jackson-memorial-gary-indiana-20100602_7867440

http://www.post-trib.com/news/2346884,jackmus-602.article

Last edited:
Weitzman told the Post-Tribune that estate attorneys are working on a "world-class museum... at a site yet to be determined."
intresting.

and good to see the estate put joe etc in their place

Great, another mess Joe has got himself into. In the end of the day the estate are the one's that control everything until the kids reach 30, and its for the benefit of the kids which is what their father wanted. His name, his likeness, etc is to make his children and Katherine money, not anyone else.

I'm sorry but, do I think this museum will ever see the light of day? HELL NO! just like the fanvention, a proper plan just does'nt seem to be in place. Michael Jackson's name being used once again!

Police Chief Gary O. Carter was impressed by Joe Jackson's presence.

"Why would he come all the way here if it wasn't" going to happen, Carter said.

LOLOLOLOL!! he must've never heard about Joe Jackson!

:(

Gary, Ind. - Joe Jackson announced Wednesday that he's working on a Michael Jackson museum in the family's hometown of Gary -- but Michael Jackson's attorneys are saying not so fast.

Mayor Rudy Clay says the Jackson family has resurrected hope in Gary, and that they’ve picked out a site in town for the complex by Gilroy Stadium, at Indiana University.

But the official Michael Jackson estate -- the people in charge of his money and his children-- say they have not been consulted and have nothing to do with this.

"The Estate of Michael Jackson was never consulted about, nor is it involved in, the Jackson Family museum being proposed in Gary, Indiana," attorney Howard Weitzman told the Gary Post-Tribune .

"Michael Jackson's music, name, likeness, memorabilia and other intellectual property are assets exclusively owned by the Estate for the benefit of his children, his mother during her lifetime... and cannot be exploited legally without written authorization from the Estate," he said.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpps/entertainment/michael-jackson-memorial-gary-indiana-20100602_7867440

From the beginning, seeing Joe Jackson at the helm of this thing, I just knew The Estate had nothing to do with this!

Interesting to note that The estate has plans of its own, just like I think they have plans inregards to a tribute to Michael.

Is'nt it obvious The Estate and The Jackson Family are both operating on two different playing fields?

Is'nt it obvious The Estate and The Jackson Family are both operating on two different playing fields?
yeah the jackson are out to make money for themselves as mj left them nothing. the estate are looing after the kids and katherine

Gary, Ind. - Joe Jackson announced Wednesday that he's working on a Michael Jackson museum in the family's hometown of Gary -- but Michael Jackson's attorneys are saying not so fast...

Joe just does not know when to fold 'em. IF he would ask Ms. Katherine to ask for permission...a lot of BS could be avoided and he just might get (some of) what he wants, or at least what he says he wants.

But no, he wants everything the way HE wants it and to get all the profits too. But that's NOT what Michael wanted.

IF his motives were really about MJ's wishes, legacy & children, he'd be trying to work with the estate.

What a stubborn old man, what a shame :smilerolleyes:

Someone tell Joe to try to wear something else other than that worn out pimp suit that makes him look ludicrous. he should quit being the way he is and start acting his damn age.

yeah the jackson are out to make money for themselves as mj left them nothing. the estate are looing after the kids and katherine

I just want The Estate and The Family to put their differences aside and work TOGETHER to build a lasting and strong Legacy for Michael. With both sides doing their own thing only leads to confusion!

How do you determine it's about making money vs. truly trying to do something for MJ's legacy? As critical as we are towards the family, a little little part of me sometimes wonders are we being unfair.

ow do you determine it's about making money vs. truly trying to do something for MJ's legacy?
because if it were about his legacy they would be working with the estate and not trying to do their own thing. u work with the estate u make no money out of it. you do it yourself you make $. fortunatly they cant do it without the say so of the estate.

Last edited:
JUNE 2, 2010
This is the print preview: Back to normal view »
Michael Jackson Complex Coming To Gary, If Estate Allows
First Posted: 06- 2-10 06:22 PM | Updated: 06- 2-10 06:22 PM

The city of Gary, Indiana has planned an ambitious $300 million complex honoring the legacy of native son and superstar Michael Jackson.

His father, Joe Jackson, stood alongside Gary mayor Rudy Clay today as Clay announced the project. The city is collaborating with the Jackson Family Foundation to create a museum, a performing arts center, restaurants, hotels and more.

The Board of Public Works transferred a parcel of land south of downtown to the Foundation this morning, for the purposes of developing the complex. According to the Chicago Tribune, investors, not taxpayers, will fund the project, which is projected to add $150 million a year to the local economy.

But the plan faces one rather sizable obstacle: the Michael Jackson estate.

From the Post-Tribune:

Howard Weitzman, the estate's attorney, said the estate "was never consulted about, nor is it involved in, the Jackson Family museum being proposed in Gary, Indiana."
"Michael Jackson's music, name, likeness, memorabilia and other intellectual property are assets exclusively owned by the Estate for the benefit of his children," Howard Weitzman said in a written statement. "These properties cannot be exploited legally without written authorization from the Estate."
The same statement said that the Estate itself was planning "a world-class museum that would include memorabilia, music and other intellectual properties at a site yet to be determined" -- that is to say, not the one in Gary.

Mayor Clay griped that such ambitious projects in his city always seem to face some opposition. "It never fails," he said.

There you have it...the estate WILL NOT allow this.

They should build a Jackson family museum only...don't put Michael's name in that latest Joe venture, because MJ's name is own by his estate aka his 3 babies.

Ok...No feasibility studies. No committed funding. I think Joe might have gotten wind that the estate is planning his own museum..that is why he ran to Gary (without the funding or any commitment from investors) to announce his museum plans before the estate announces theirs, and deflate his bubble.

Preemptive strike.

But the thing is, now that the estate has announced the possibility of an OFFICIAL MJ museum, you can bet investors will line up to work with the estate.

Poor Joe...he's gonna end, yet again, with eggs on his face.

lol

Last edited:
They should put Jermaine and Janet's names into the museum and leave Michael's alone, ain't like the estate's gonna allow his name to be associated with Josephs' lousy business deals. They should build a museum for themselves only ''Jackson Family minus Michael Museum'' that would be great

ok as usual this is getting interesting ...............:popcorn: ...........this is better then any suspense movie.
joe will get Oscar for his performance and dialogue delivery.:woohoo:

It would be really nice if The Jackson family could put more effort into Justice for Michael than a way for the family to make money! Although if the family had more money, then they could fire that douche Oxman and hire some competent lawyers! Murray has 5, we have Oxman!!!

they should put jermaine and janet's names into the museum and leave michael's alone, ain't like the estate's gonna allow his name to be associated with josephs' lousy business deals. They should build a museum for themselves only ''jackson family minus michael museum'' that would be great

lol...

First of putting anything aside and just talking about a Jackson Family Museum

I'm not opposed to a Jackson Family Museum idea but I'll have to say this doesn't look like it's well planned at all. Also in my personal opinion putting it in Gary is not really going to attract a lot of people.

Now for the regular folk with regular income (such as myself) if I go someplace to visit on my holiday, I would like to make the best of it and see several things. That's the only thing that would justify that visit costs. So okay I wen't to see the museum spent 2-3 hours in the museum, then what am I going to do in Gary?

To be honest for any museum such places such as New York, Los Angeles, Las Vegas or even Chicago etc is much more suitable. It would definitely attract more people.

Ok same thing once again in a different event.. sorry but Jacksons or whoever behind these projects etc must understand that they need to get the approval of MJ's estate. It's that simple.

And I'll say it again - although it is a little off topic - in my personal opinion the whole reason that some people are against the will/ estate is simply because they want to be able to use Michael's name in projects/ products etc for their benefit.

ok as usual this is getting interesting ...............:popcorn: ...........this is better then any suspense movie.
joe will get Oscar for his performance and dialogue delivery.:woohoo:

you got that right :)

June 2, 2010
Post-Tribune staff report

GARY — Mayor Rudy Clay unveiled grand plans for a Jackson Family Center in Glen Park today featuring residential housing, elevated rail, a hotel and a “Michael Jackson Performing Arts Center and Concert Hall.”

But hours later, an attorney for Michael Jackson’s estate told the Post-Tribune it is considering its own “world-class museum” and has no connection to the Gary project.

The Gary Board of Public Works and Safety transferred land between the Borman Expressway, 35th Avenue, Grant Street and Broadway to the Jackson Family Foundation for the project minutes before Wednesday’s press conference was set to begin.

Clay, joined by Jackson Family patriarch Joe Jackson and Jackson Family Foundation President Simon Sahouri, insisted the museum would be built, ending decades of promises. The only thing that could stop it, he said, is “Gary people,” and he asked them not to “poison the soup.”

“This one is beyond politics,” Clay said.

Sahouri said a feasibility study will be conducted this year, and he said ground will be broken on the project early in 2011.

Susan Severtson, Gary’s corporation counsel, said the city and the foundation are still seeking consent from Michael Jackson’s estate to use his name and image in the project.

“We believe that that’s part and parcel of the legacy of the Jackson Family,” Severtson said.

But Howard Weitzman, the estate’s attorney, said the estate “was never consulted about, nor is it involved in, the Jackson Family museum being proposed in Gary, Indiana.”

“Michael Jackson’s music, name, likeness, memorabilia and other intellectual property are assets exclusively owned by the Estate for the benefit of his children,” Howard Weitzman said in a written statement. “These properties cannot be exploited legally without written authorization from the Estate.”

Asked about the legal issues with the estate, Clay referred to Michael Jackson’s 2003 comment that he wanted a performing arts center built in Gary. He said someone will always try to stop a positive project from happening in his city.

“It never fails,” Clay said.

STATEMENT FROM HOWARD WEITZMAN, ATTORNEY FOR MICHAEL JACKSON’S ESTATE:
The Estate of Michael Jackson was never consulted about, nor is it involved in, the Jackson Family museum being proposed in Gary, Indiana. Michael Jackson's music, name, likeness, memorabilia and other intellectual property are assets exclusively owned by the Estate for the benefit of his children, his mother during her lifetime and charities as specified in his will. These properties cannot be exploited legally without written authorization from the Estate, which is managed by John Branca and John McClain, the Executors, as mandated in Michael's will. The Estate is considering a world-class museum that would include memorabilia, music and other intellectual properties at a site yet to be determined. The Estate has no connection to this project.

Back