Good books/Bad books on Michael - Holiday Gifts

Does anyone know where I can pick up the Vault book in Australia?

Also, I saw the Michael book by the editors of rolling stone. I haven't read it yet but a couple of the pictures I hadn't seen before so that was nice. At first I was like what the hell is it called because there's no title or any words on the front or back cover just 'Michael by the editors or rolling stone' on the side panel.

Does anyone know where I can pick up the Vault book in Australia?

Also, I saw the Michael book by the editors of rolling stone. I haven't read it yet but a couple of the pictures I hadn't seen before so that was nice. At first I was like what the hell is it called because there's no title or any words on the front or back cover just 'Michael by the editors or rolling stone' on the side panel.

http://www.booktopia.com.au/michael...-king-of-pop-1958-2009/prod9780794829292.html

or maybe here

http://www.boomerangbooks.com.au/search.cfm?count=1&t=t&s=Michael+Jackson

Last edited:
There's a good thread about boycotting the new Rolling Stone tribute book here~
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81960

This made me think, maybe we can make up a list of good books and bad books, a list to give people who might be buying us Michael books for the holidays. Very well intentioned peeps may make the error of thinking anything MJ is a nice gift, not knowing we feel passionately about which books to support and which to definitely NOT support. If we could make a list, then we can pass it along with any wish lists we are asked for.

I'll start...

#1 good book~ Moonwalk :)

THE BAD BOOK LIST SO FAR

Be Careful Who You Love: Inside the Michael Jackson Case by Diane Dimond

Freak!: Inside the Twisted World of Michael Jackson by David Perel and Suzanne Ely

J****, His Rise and Fall, Second Edition: The Social and Sexual History of Michael Jackson by Darwin Porter

(The) Magic, the Madness, the Whole Story by J. Randy Taraborrelli

Michael by Rolling Stone Magazine

(The) Michael Jackson Tapes: A Tragic Icon Reveals His Soul in Intimate Conversation by Shmuel Boteach

Michael Jackson Was My Lover by Victor M. Gutierrez

Michael Jackson Unauthorized by Andersen

Unmasked: The Final Years of Michael Jackson by Ian Halperin

THE GOOD BOOK LIST SO FAR

Moonwalk
Moonwalker The Storybook
Dancing the Dream
Thriller 25th Anniversary
Opus

Conspiracy by Aprhodite Jones

For The Record 2nd Edition by Chris Cadman and Craig Halstead

In his own words by Catherine Dineen

In the studio with Michael Jackson by Bruce Swedien

Life Commemorative: Michael Jackson by Life magazine

Loving Michael Jackson by Selena Millman

Michael Jackson by Stewart Regan

Michael Jackson Before He Was King by Todd Gray

Michael Jackson King Of Pop by Lisa D. Campbell

Michael Jackson Life of a Legend by Michael Heatley

Michael Jackson Platinum Edition Collector's Vault (by David Lifton?)

Redemption by Hughes

Visual documentary by Adrian Grant

Thanks for the list :)

Michael Jackson Man In The Mirror 1958-2009 by Tim Hill
I got this book for a Christmas present but I havent read everything yet.
But on the back cover (and probably inside) Hill states that MJ won an
unprecedented 7 Grammy awards for THRILLER. I've always thought,
read, heard that it was 8. :scratch: Is there other discrepencies in the book?

I got this book for a Christmas present but I havent read everything yet.
But on the back cover (and probably inside) Hill states that MJ won an
unprecedented 7 Grammy awards for THRILLER. I've always thought,
read, heard that it was 8. :scratch: Is there other discrepencies in the book?

I think he won seven for Thriller - but eight overall, one for the ET storybook.

What can you say about this book?

512WEVSHNDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Good or bad?

And another question. Really need your advice guys. I have the Vault book, so do I need Treasures? Are they similar or different?

Last edited:
Anyone read 'The King of Pop's Darkest Hour' By Lisa D. Campbell who alot of you are mentioning in the 'good books' from the other book she wrote about MJ? I accidentally fell across the temporary preview of the book on google (http://books.google.com/books?id=n1...Lisa D. Campbell&pg=PA11#v=onepage&q=&f=false). Thought...well, I'll read one or two pages to see how it is. Next thing I knew I was up until 3am and finished it in the day

Anyone read 'The King of Pop's Darkest Hour' By Lisa D. Campbell who alot of you are mentioning in the 'good books' from the other book she wrote about MJ? I accidentally fell across the temporary preview of the book on google (http://books.google.com/books?id=n1...Lisa D. Campbell&pg=PA11#v=onepage&q=&f=false). Thought...well, I'll read one or two pages to see how it is. Next thing I knew I was up until 3am and finished it in the day

Yes. I have this book. It's a good one.

wait a minute, what is wrong with Unmasked: The Final Years of Michael Jackson by Ian Halperin ??

I remember this author came on Howard Stern and said that he originally set out to expose MJ but he realized how great MJ was and he wanted this book to set the record straight about him and prove that all the allegations about him were false. I haven't read it yet but I was always under the impression that this book was supposed to "vindicate" MJ...it sounded like it would have been good

What about

Michael Jackson: King of pop by Emily Herbert
Michael Jackson: A life in music and The complete guide to the music of Michael Jackson & the Jackson Family by Geoff Brown.

They sound alright but does someone have these books?

What about

Michael Jackson: A life in music and The complete guide to the music of Michael Jackson & the Jackson Family by Geoff Brown.

They sound alright but does someone have these books?

I have these ones. I read them loooong ago (in the 90s, I think). And the only thing I can remember right now is that in the second one he wrote that the song Speed Demon was about being high on drugs (Methamphetamine) which was a shocker to read for a 18-year-old me. I didn't even know that word. I was so surprised that I remember about it even now.

Last edited:
I loved the first editions of MoonWalk and Dancing The Dream and Do you guys remember that Michael had a kiddie book that went along with The Smooth Criminal Video?It had all The Pics from the Shortfilm. I'm not getting rid of them for any price. I also Have The Magic And The Madness which was otay and Michael Jackson unauthorized which I didn't care for. My Daughter gave me Michael by the editions of Rolling Stone for Christmas. I like the pics more than the stories.

i'm not sure.. but i'd like to buy this book...

http://www.amazon.de/Michael-Jackso...e=UTF8&s=books-intl-de&qid=1263308793&sr=1-29

it is sold only by amazon germany.. someone has information about it?
i don't understand the opinion.. it's in german language!!!

Ich bin leider erst nach MJs Tod auf diese, von ihm einzige authorisierte, Biographie aufmerksam geworden. Nach langer Suche habe ich dann ein gebrauchte Ausgabe gefunden. Das Buch hat einen sehr schönen Einband, die Bilder sind von sehr guter Qualität, und die Biographie ist sehr interessant auch wenn ich nicht viel neues erfahren habe. Es ist ein wunderschönes Andenken an MJ.
Translation:

The only one authorized biography by MJ came to my attention, unfortunately only after his death. After a long search I found then a used edition.
The book has a very nice cover, the pictures are of very good quality, and the biography is very interesting even if I did not learn much new. It is a beautiful memory of MJ.

The book, first edition in Jan 2001, only in german language, was sold out immediately after its publication.
( After his death he was on 2 or 3 german tv channels .. he was wrong on a few events (I've forgotten what it was)
and I was angry about that, because I had more accuracy expected by an authorized biographer. )
Anyway I bought it immediately after the new edition, July 2009, was published (since 2001 almost no news have been added), but hadn't read it yet.
It is still packed *g*

Below a link where you can read more reviews .. sorry, again only in german language (you can use a translator machine like google). The comments are not so good - they all show great disappointment like I wrote above about his interviews - and, the poor quality of his images has been criticized.
After all, not a bad book.

http://www.amazon.de/Michael-Jackson-King-Christian-Marks/dp/3980652416

http://www.mjbooks.de/index.php (directly from the author)

Hope, it helps.

wait a minute, what is wrong with Unmasked: The Final Years of Michael Jackson by Ian Halperin ??

I remember this author came on Howard Stern and said that he originally set out to expose MJ but he realized how great MJ was and he wanted this book to set the record straight about him and prove that all the allegations about him were false. I haven't read it yet but I was always under the impression that this book was supposed to "vindicate" MJ...it sounded like it would have been good

Halpernin is a lying scumbag and his book is full of rubbish like Michael couldn't sing anymore, Michael couldn't dance anymore all of which TII proved to incorrect, he also claimed Michael was gay and dressed up as a woman to pick up guys.

Michael Jackson Life of a Legend by Michael Heatley is not a good book. it has inaccuracys to the point were a picture of Michael on the cover is actually an impersonator, this was another one of those books rushed out after june 25th by someone pretending to be a fan but actually just trying to cash in.

Well Ian Halperin wrote in his book that Michael was Gay and actually was trying to chat him up. We know that Michael did not molest any Child and we do not need Ian Halperin to tell us that.
He said he advised Michael to change his look.....blonde hair with a dark streak! Is he real this Guy?

Good to see a thread like this--help each other out. I have nothing to contribute--I couldn't imagine reading anything on Michael not written by Michael. Too risky, and simply not worth my time, Aphrodite Jones being the only exception--but that wasn't on Michael per se. Still, things like this are needed--there's an entire ocean of crap out there written about Michael, and passing the word on about which books to avoid is always a good idea.

Good books:

- 'In The Studio With Michael Jackson' by Bruce Swedien
- 'Invincible Sabotage: Inside Michael Jackson's Case' by Luka Neskovic
- 'King Of Pop Darkest Hour' by Lisa D. Campell
- 'Thriller 25' official released book

Who is writing that? Does anyone here have it?
I see they also said that a new book is coming...

It's a book with stories written by fans who met Michael or saw his concerts. It's worth buying imo (if you like to read fan stories)

Haven't read either good or bad books on mj.

I would read a book that is about the real mj without neither falling into the fanaticism nor the tabloid side of things. He was not neither a saint nor the devil. He was a human being with flaws and virtues as well. The Frank Cascio book seems to be a good book, because it seems it does not fall into those categories.

The absolute worst book I read on Michael was some garbage by an author called Darwin Porter. The fact this book dating from 2007 with an updated memorial chapter in which he laments the death of Michael Jackson, is by far the worst book ever done. The title is a forbidden abusive word used to describe MJ by the tabloid press says everything.

I was laughing at its awfulness, there is almost no discussion of Michael's talent, his songs, albums, dancing orany of his humanitarian efforts, just all the very worst and most false rumours about his sexuality (he is described as gay the whole way through and a paedophile), voodoo (Of cows, primates and other animals), his fantasies of being white, veneration of washed up has beens, his self indulgence, temper, a stream of young boys and some disgusting rumours about Bubbles.

That is all I will say - its garbage, if you ever see it, avoid it like the plague.

The absolute worst book I read on Michael was some garbage by an author called Darwin Porter. The fact this book dating from 2007 with an updated memorial chapter in which he laments the death of Michael Jackson, is by far the worst book ever done. The title is a forbidden abusive word used to describe MJ by the tabloid press says everything.

I was laughing at its awfulness, there is almost no discussion of Michael's talent, his songs, albums, dancing orany of his humanitarian efforts, just all the very worst and most false rumours about his sexuality (he is described as gay the whole way through and a paedophile), voodoo (Of cows, primates and other animals), his fantasies of being white, veneration of washed up has beens, his self indulgence, temper, a stream of young boys and some disgusting rumours about Bubbles.

That is all I will say - its garbage, if you ever see it, avoid it like the plague.

sad. :no:

Back