Have you met Michael? Describe your personal experience with him.

Jermaine

Proud Member
Hi everyone!

Have any of you met Michael in person? Or seen him live? I think it would be awesome to hear everyone's personal experience with him while he was here with us! I'll start with mine.

My twin brother and I met him in 1996 in Perth, Australia while he was here for the HIStory tour. We went to the hotel he was staying at in the lobby, it was crowded and we were very little at the time, so security brought us and out mother to the front of the crowd. When Michael came out of the elevator, all the fans pushed forward and trampled over my brother and I. Michael saw and got security to search for us. What was amazing was that Michael actually picked us up from the crowd and brought us to a private side of the lobby where we talked for a while. My mother kissed him on the cheek! He then brought us to the garbage exit of the hotel where the limousines were to take him to the Burswood Dome (the venue he performed at). He then hopped into the car and waved us goodbye.

I don't really recall what exactly we spoke about because I was very little but my mother remembers that we talked about our love of dance, and he was very kind. To this day, I don't have a photo, I'm still searching but we did leave with a signed ticket.

I would love to hear all your stories with Michael whether you met him in person or saw him live! Spread the love!

That is a super sweet and adorable story!

I never met him. But one time, a very familiar and mysterious person showed up at my job and I pretty much never tell the story because I don't want to know either way if it was him or not!

I was a finalist in a BBC competition in 1997 to meet Michael before one of the Wembley shows.

The competition ran for weeks. Each time you watched the O-Zone you got a new question and when you had them all you sent them in.

Sadly I didn't win. But given that the prize included VIP travel to the gig I wasn't surprised someone much closer to London ended up winning.

I expect this is the closest I ever came to meeting him.

I'll always wish I had the chance to meet Michael and see him live. Making tantrums to my parents to take to one of the 5 shows at the Aztec Stadium when I was 7 didn't work. :sigh:

I think your story is more bittersweet than mine Chris.

How lucky all those fans were indeed!

Oh, that's so sweet.

I never met him unfortunately.

Oh Gosh, how could I forget? To my excuse, this is not really "meeting" him, just seeing him from the distance. So when he came to Hungary to shoot the HIStory trailer I bugged my father to go to see him, so we did drive to Budapest to see the shooting. I sat on my father's neck and I could see him from the distance.

Never met (dreamt it many times).

Saw live many times and saw him in New York going into the VMAs in 95 though.

I wish I could have seen him when he came to Rio to record the TDCAU video... But I was only 5 years old and I wasn't even aware that he came here... oh well :doh:

I thought I was gonna get to see the Jacksons in Jacksonville during the Victory Tour, I was 15 years old, completely in love with Michael and absolutely crushed when we couldn't get tickets. I was too inexperienced and shy to travel anywhere for the Bad Tour. Our paths never crossed at any of the theme parks here in Orlando either. :no:

So, unfortunately, I've never met him or been to a concert. I've dreamed about meeting him, too.

I wasn't the type of fan that hung out at a venue after a concert, at the hotels or chase down limos, etc. so I only saw him on stage, lol! One of my cousins used to work as a photographer for the Detroit Free Press and he's met Mike (and his brothers) a couple of times.

I wouldn't call it "meeting" - just shook his hand when he was in the car in London - came up to the window that was open, though "came up" is not the right word. he waited for me to let his hand go. I gave him gifts many times during History tour in different cities. But never talked to him. I don't think I was ready to at that time.

Oh my. I love that he waited for you to let go of his hand. I don't think I would've let go...:heart:

Saw live many times and saw him in New York going into the VMAs in 95 though.
The one where he has that adorable short curly hair and the up to the knee shin guards? I watch that video of him striding the red carpet all the time.
Were you there by accident and happen to see him or was it planned?

The one where he has that adorable short curly hair and the up to the knee shin guards? I watch that video of him striding the red carpet all the time.
Were you there by accident and happen to see him or was it planned?

Yes, that's the one :)

I was travelling around the USA for a few months. I left the week HIStory was released & it became the soundtrack to the trip with lots of MJ coincidences along the way.

I was just in New York by accident that day when the VMAs were there. I split off from my friends to hang around outside, saw him & then ran back to the hotel to watch the performance live. Brilliant!

I met him once in 1990 at the Hit Factory recording studio in NYC when he was doing vocal takes for Who Is It. My mum was the cleaner back then and bought me in while she was finishing up and I got to watch him record his vocals.

Do wet dreams count?

Last edited:
Ive told my story a few times so I don't want to push it on people too much but I met him 7 days before he past and heard him rehearse for this is it

Ive told my story a few times so I don't want to push it on people too much but I met him 7 days before he past and heard him rehearse for this is it
Please share. I haven't heard your story and would love to hear about it, especially seeing as it was so close to the end for our dear Michael.

Agreed with MattyJam. This is one of the reasons I PM'd you KOPV but your box is full :p

love to hear that story aswell!

.... ok well, June 18th 2009, I was in California for my birthday, knowing the Mike lived in Beverly hills I had to go by the house. What I planned to just be a drive past his home, I noticed a good amount of cars and fans waiting outside.. (Including the infamous 'waldo') I asked what was going on and they were telling me that Michael would be coming out soon. "soon" became an hour, and another. I saw vehicles come and go but no MJ... finally as the sun started to go down I heard one engine turn on, fallowed by another, than another... I knew it had to be Michael and the vehicles guiding... The gates start to open and the sky explodes in a flash... My wife (then girlfriend) snapped a picture lol!... the gate close and they tell her not to take pics.. 15 or so min later the gates reopen and the first vehicle comes out, then the next (Michaels) everyone rushes it..the front passenger window was open,he was sitting In the back...I didn't want to be another crazy fan so I tried acting calmer than I felt inside.. I hid my shakiness the best I could. I reached my hand into the car along with others and said "god bless you Michael" he responded "god bless you" .. my girlfriend was frozen away from the group so I literally lifted her put her by the car and put her hand in the car for her.. lol! Michael reached back out to her had..

everyone rushed to there cars and fallowed Michael to The Forum where he was rehearsing , so I went along... when I got there I went to a diner near by to kill time for when he would come out.. little did I know that people were sneaking past security to get to the building where you could hear everything.. once I learned this I went with a new friend of mine and heard Michael sing live.. (some audio I recorded has been uploaded at some point in 2009.. I also spoke with Alberto (security guard who did the 911 call) about This Is It, if there was new material etc. He said "I have not heard anything new, but it's the oldies but goodies".. others were talking about the songs they heard as well, a couple I did not get to hear live but they played audio they recorded...

I am pretty sure there is a Meeting Michael thread in the Legacy Project section., if anyone wants to check it out.

I have not met him, but for some reason, I feel like I know him through his music. I wish I had as I know how kind he is to his fans and how unlike my other favourite artist (Name in my handle if u don't know!) is known for his standoffish attitude towards his fans. Michael's love for his fans was so strong, radiated around and thats how I felt I know him.

I nearly went to the HISTORY gigs in Auckland (Nov 9 and 11 1996) but I was doing exams at University in Dunedin at the time. A real bad timing as I transferred to Auckland for the 1997 academic (In the Southern Hemisphere, our academic years run February - November).

As a plus, Prince did at least wink at me and waved to me during his 2012 concert in Melbourne and since Prince has met MJ and some of Prince's backing dancers were from the This is it rehearsals (The Twinz), that is also quite close I guess.

Thank you for sharing KOPV! Your story reminds me of some youtube footage I found of people from...I think June 13...European fans...hearing him rehearse TYMMF at Staples. I think it's been taken down, but it was mesmerizing.

.... ok well, June 18th 2009, I was in California for my birthday, knowing the Mike lived in Beverly hills I had to go by the house. What I planned to just be a drive past his home, I noticed a good amount of cars and fans waiting outside.. (Including the infamous 'waldo') I asked what was going on and they were telling me that Michael would be coming out soon. "soon" became an hour, and another. I saw vehicles come and go but no MJ... finally as the sun started to go down I heard one engine turn on, fallowed by another, than another... I knew it had to be Michael and the vehicles guiding... The gates start to open and the sky explodes in a flash... My wife (then girlfriend) snapped a picture lol!... the gate close and they tell her not to take pics.. 15 or so min later the gates reopen and the first vehicle comes out, then the next (Michaels) everyone rushes it..the front passenger window was open,he was sitting In the back...I didn't want to be another crazy fan so I tried acting calmer than I felt inside.. I hid my shakiness the best I could. I reached my hand into the car along with others and said "god bless you Michael" he responded "god bless you" .. my girlfriend was frozen away from the group so I literally lifted her put her by the car and put her hand in the car for her.. lol! Michael reached back out to her had..

everyone rushed to there cars and fallowed Michael to The Forum where he was rehearsing , so I went along... when I got there I went to a diner near by to kill time for when he would come out.. little did I know that people were sneaking past security to get to the building where you could hear everything.. once I learned this I went with a new friend of mine and heard Michael sing live.. (some audio I recorded has been uploaded at some point in 2009.. I also spoke with Alberto (security guard who did the 911 call) about This Is It, if there was new material etc. He said "I have not heard anything new, but it's the oldies but goodies".. others were talking about the songs they heard as well, a couple I did not get to hear live but they played audio they recorded...

God... I just wish that had happened to me!! :(

Back