HMH Official UK Singles Chart-Reaches Number 11

The album is surprisingly strong and people will talk. I think we are all about to be surprised.

When I listened to the chart on Capital FM they said it was at no 7. It made me laugh when I heard that. Another 7 for Michael :) It's done really well if it is at 11 for a song I no longer hear on the radio.

It's 2:20 AM here in the UK which means a lot of people are asleep right now and the album has only been out just over 2 hours, but it's already no.9 on the I tunes chart and has some great reviews.

It' only # 26 on amazon though. That's pretty low...

It's very sad that 'Michael' has no hope of going to No.1 in the UK.
Sony left it too late to release this album, which has completely destroyed any chance for MJ.
Not only that but Rhianna's appearance, and JLS' TV special could push sales of those albums ahead of MJ, meaning MJ could end up entering the chart at 4th on the chart.

Sad but true.

I said this months ago, but Sony and the Estate should have delayed the album until March. That way HMH would have been a top5 entry on the singles chart and Michael would have been guaranteed No.1 on the album chart. It's craziness to go head to head with all the acts promoting themselves on X Factor.

BTW radio airplay for HMH actually increased last week from #19 to #14.

Can I correct a little 'myth' that seems to be influencing people's perception of 'HMH' being a 'flop'.

MJ has never really dominated the singles market in the UK - he has always been an 'albums artist', which is much more important for 'serious' music fans and for record companies.

For this time of year - and considering 'HMH' is not an Xmas song, not a charity song, not a X-Factor song, not a British Boyband song - number 11 is really decent. It may even reach top 10 next week, and hang around in the charts for some time.

For me, it's only the poor timing of the video release that stopped it reaching top 10 last week.

We got to remember, with zero promotion I think number 11 is an amazing position, if Michael was around the position would be quite different, I'm sure Michael would of made an appearance on XFactor.

I really do think New Michael album will go number 1 !! It just requires a little push!!

Stop being pessimistic! We are here for Michael and in my dictionary the word failure doesn't exist as far as Michael is concerned!

People who know me on here will testify that I lean on the 'positive' side. Having said that I have to say, 100%, that 'Michael' will not get to number 1 in the UK.

This is not because it won't sell well - it probably will - it's just that 'Take That' (a british 30 something boyband) have had unprecedented free publicity all weekend on the two most watched TV shows in Britain. Combine that with the fact that their album seems to be this years 'stocking filler' and it will be pushing 300,000+ sales this week!! The 'Michael' album can not compete with that.

Even so, 'Michael' will have done really well - with all of the other stocking filler Xmas albums about - to hit 100,000 sales. It will probably need 150,000 to get to number 2, and that would be very impressive indeed.

Nothing to get depressed about, it's just best to face reality.

People who know me on here will testify that I lean on the 'positive' side. Having said that I have to say, 100%, that 'Michael' will not get to number 1 in the UK.

This is not because it won't sell well - it probably will - it's just that 'Take That' (a british 30 something boyband) have had unprecedented free publicity all weekend on the two most watched TV shows in Britain. Combine that with the fact that their album seems to be this years 'stocking filler' and it will be pushing 300,000+ sales this week!! The 'Michael' album can not compete with that.

Even so, 'Michael' will have done really well - with all of the other stocking filler Xmas albums about - to hit 100,000 sales. It will probably need 150,000 to get to number 2, and that would be very impressive indeed.

Nothing to get depressed about, it's just best to face reality.

That is a fair enough opinion, i think Sony have timed the release badly, if they were going for a Christmas no 1 they should have released it a week or two ago or even released HMH a month ago so people are talking about Michael again and know that an album is coming. You are right about take that, they have been ever where this week even appearing on Irelands most popular talk show and every shop you go into you are met with stacks of the album. The Michael album is obviously ten times the better album but marketing not quality sells.

That is a fair enough opinion, i think Sony have timed the release badly, if they were going for a Christmas no 1 they should have released it a week or two ago or even released HMH a month ago so people are talking about Michael again and know that an album is coming. You are right about take that, they have been ever where this week even appearing on Irelands most popular talk show and every shop you go into you are met with stacks of the album. The Michael album is obviously ten times the better album but marketing not quality sells.

I think that is what they wanted to do...but the family and their fake vocals nonsense put a brake on the original plans

I think that is what they wanted to do...but the family and their fake vocals nonsense put a brake on the original plans

All that stuff really frustrates and it's worse when i hear fans talk this rubbish. It would be great if it made no1 but i'm just happy that it is such a good album.

All that stuff really frustrates and it's worse when i hear fans talk this rubbish. It would be great if it made no1 but i'm just happy that it is such a good album.

I believe the reason the album was delayed was because of the problems with the family.
It's sad but true that the timing of this album is terrible for the UK market because of Take That, but I understand that Sony has the world market to consider when releasing their product.

Unfortunately Take That are gods on the UK music scene and they are treated as such. They do deserve their status in the UK, as annoying as it is, but it's particularly frustrating when UK press treat them as though they are global superstars, like the second coming of the Beatles. Of course they are very far from that, but many people here in the UK assume they are very popular globally.

Simon Cowell tried to get MJ on X Factor numerous times but he wouldn't do it. Maybe he would have changed his mind after TII, but we'll never know I guess.

I believe the reason the album was delayed was because of the problems with the family.
It's sad but true that the timing of this album is terrible for the UK market because of Take That, but I understand that Sony has the world market to consider when releasing their product.

Unfortunately Take That are gods on the UK music scene and they are treated as such. They do deserve their status in the UK, as annoying as it is, but it's particularly frustrating when UK press treat them as though they are global superstars, like the second coming of the Beatles. Of course they are very far from that, but many people here in the UK assume they are very popular globally.

Many of the people in the UK are ignorant to world music. Plus of course the white British 'pro Take That' press never make an issues of it do they (wink).

It's funny that, 'cos you watch them jump on MJ when he 'fails' in the UK and 'only' gets to number 2 or 3 - they will be down on him like a ton of bricks!

Take That have done well in the UK, but they have had an enormous amount of help from the UK media over the years, whereas MJ is successful IN SPITE of the media! I know which achievement is the greater of the two. (wink)

I don't see MJ in a program as X-factor.

I think he was too huge a superstar to perform there.

I don't see MJ in a program as X-factor.

I think he was too huge a superstar to perform there.

Oh God definately.

Michael Jackson on the X Factor would be like going to the Ritz and asking for a cheesburger and fries.

Here's how it stands;

MICHAEL needs to sell over 250,000 copies to be #1 in the UK

MICHAEL needs to sell over 150,000 copies to be #2 in the UK

MICHAEL needs to sell over 260,000 copies to be #1 in the US (it will hit the top position here)

Simon Cowell tried to get MJ on X Factor numerous times but he wouldn't do it. Maybe he would have changed his mind after TII, but we'll never know I guess.

So happy he never went on X Factor,that show is benearh him.

Well I've seen the music video on TV a few times today...that's something, right? :lol:

I'm not going to pretend #11 is good. Michael wanted Hold My Hand to be his big comeback single, #1 worldwide. Michael would be crushed to see #11 in the UK charts. No promotion is the reason for this. We're lucky it's in the top 20 at all. Lets try our best to get Hold My Hand to UK #1. Michael hasn't had a UK #1 since 1997! Sunday is the Christmas charts so expect fierce competition from Matt Cardle, Christmas re-releases and Christmas classics. It's too late now. If we couldn't do it last week, there is no chance of doing it this week!

They need to release an uptempo single ASAP! Then he can make number 1! Monster or Hollywood tonight.

Here's how it stands;

MICHAEL needs to sell over 250,000 copies to be #1 in the UK

MICHAEL needs to sell over 150,000 copies to be #2 in the UK

MICHAEL needs to sell over 260,000 copies to be #1 in the US (it will hit the top position here)

You still going with this smooth?

It will sell more than 260,000 copies in US right?

But it will only sell around 100,000 copies in UK right?

An uptempo song needs to be released next which will chart higher. HMH suffered from bad promotion which would not have happened if Michael was here. Lets face it very rarely does a dead singer get to the top spot.

The closest Michael has got to #1 in the UK recently was in July 2009. Man In The Mirror went got to #2.

And can someone explain why so many old Michael songs charted again in 2006? I remember it happening but I don't remember why.

Yeah, 19 songs were in the top 40. That is a great achievement, I think it was because the number ones album was released.

Back