HMH Official UK Singles Chart-Reaches Number 11

I don't get it -- One More Chane debuted at #5 and it is a weaker song and had even less promotion and zero airplay. You'd think the first single after MJ's death will at least crack the top 10.

Well, hopefully the album will do better than that.

What time of year was 'OMC' released? I'm pretty sure it wasn't 2/3 weeks before Christmas? This is a huge time of year for singles/album sales - especially; X-Factor/Charity/Xmas tunes.

IMO 'OMC' would not have made the top 30 if it was released this time of year. Perhaps we can get someone to confirm the sales of 'OMC' and we can compare?

Take That will not sell 200,000 copies next week trust me. They only sold 160,000 last week so they will not rise another 40,000 two weeks later.

MICHAEL will hopefully debut at #1 in the UK with sales of close to 150,000.

HMH will rise into the top 10 next week

and there WILL be two more singles released globally.

Let's stay positive :)

Last edited:
Just did some research.

Take That's album "Progress" sold 165,000 copies two weeks ago. Last week they sold 200,000 albums (up 15%). Total sales are now over 1 million in the UK for this album, and it's now 2010's biggest selling album for the country. The album has now been #1 in the country for 4 straight weeks

Take That have appeared on X Factor tonight meaning their album could shift in excess of 200,000 again next week! If this comes true, MJ will not have a #1 album here unfortunately. Sony is predicting first week sales of 130,000 to 150,0000 for the new album MICHAEL.

The reality is... it is very unlikely a dead singer can beat a hugely popular band who is alive and promoting their album on the nation's most popular television show.

Regardless, spread the word if your in the UK. Let's make MJ #1!!

Nah no chance i have given up....x factor is controlling the uk music industry and theres nothing we can do about it....simples

smooth_criminal05;3131809 said:
Just did some research.

Take That's album "Progress" sold 165,000 copies two weeks ago. Last week they sold 200,000 albums (up 15%). Total sales are now over 1 million in the UK for this album, and it's now 2010's biggest selling album for the country. The album has now been #1 in the country for 4 straight weeks

Take That have appeared on X Factor tonight meaning their album could shift in excess of 200,000 again next week! If this comes true, MJ will not have a #1 album here unfortunately. Sony is predicting first week sales of 130,000 to 150,0000 for the new album MICHAEL.

The reality is... it is very unlikely a dead singer can beat a hugely popular band who is alive and promoting their album on the nation's most popular television show.

It has no chance in the UK now Smooth - the album was released a little too late - and I'm a 'positive' one.

I was so convinced - having seen Take That rammed down our throats all weekend long - that I put a £200 bet on Take That to make number 1. And I only bet on 'sure things'. (wink)

On a positive note, we could still get MJ 'big' first week UK sales (100,000+), and that would be something to be proud of!

^ It's funny because in North America nobody has heard of Take That. Their album hasn't even cracked the top 40 here.

I don't care about Take That at all!
They can sell as they please and release as many albums as they want!
Michael will always be the best selling artist of all times!
Regardless, it's not a boyband anymore and it has no luck outside the UK!
Michael is a global artist and nothing can change that!

Just did some research.

Well... this was quite obvious for some of us in the UK (I'm in the UK currently), but some kept saying this will not be the case, for TT will not sell that much (meaning still thousands of cds). I think the promotion of Michael has been really weak and lacking focus. BN only divided the fan comunity. HMH is a beutiful song, but not the kind of powerful strong track I would have expected as leading single. The promotion on radio is based on HMH and I can't understand it if they have songs such as Hollywood tonight. The whole thing in Ping has not been that good either. Reviews have been mild... when they are not terrible and focusing only on Michael's personal life.

I mean.... seriously. If song repeating "I wipe my head back and forth, I wipe my head back and forth..." endlessly is leading the rankings nowadays... or BEP's terrible version of "The time of my life" ....:doh: it's all about promotion. Rihana is doing great and most of her songs are quite good, imo. Kathy Perry is doing fine too and her music is quite cheerful :D

At least Take That album is way better than that wiping-song :)

The pushing of take that is ridiculous,[well,it's promotion on their part]They are everywhere.they performed on x factor twice today,performed on strictly come dancing and robbie performed yesterday on x factor has well.
I think simon wants take that's album to be xmas no 1.michael has no chance,hope am wrong.

^ It's funny because in North America nobody has heard of Take That. Their album hasn't even cracked the top 40 here.

I can't seem to find them in the US charts at all!!

They don't look like they will be a threat to MJ 'worldwide', that's for sure. (wink)

Nah no chance i have given up....x factor is controlling the uk music industry and theres nothing we can do about it....simples

really?
what do they sing? that song about heroes? :unsure:

Yes, as some have mentioned, Take That are hardly known outside the UK, but the thing is we are talking about the UK in this particular thread.

I heard the chart at Galaxy radio today and Hold My Hand was in number 10 in the chart for iTune sales. That was quite good!

I would only add that X-factor is not known worldwide either. In fact, I am living the in the UK and I have really heard a lot of people talking about that show... but I have never seen it!! :toofunny:

really?
what do they sing? that song about heroes? :unsure:

Yes, as some have mentioned, Take That are hardly known outside the UK, but the thing is we are talking about the UK in this particular thread.

I heard the chart at Galaxy radio today and Hold My Hand was in number 10 in the chart for iTune sales. That was quite good!

They have performaces from popular artists every sunday, and who ever performs that night there song usually goes straight to number 1! including there albums....

Rihanna was on last night and her two singles are in the top 10 and her album will defo sell double...its the largest viewed program in the uk and the best way to promote a artists...Even itunes got them to do a beatles week!

I can't seem to find them in the US charts at all!!

They don't look like they will be a threat to MJ 'worldwide', that's for sure. (wink)

Ok, this is about the UK, so it's ok if we take into consideration what is happening here.

But again, people: world sales are much more than the US and UK. See what has happened in other countries!

but again, this is about the UK, so sorry for going off topic ;)

They have performaces from popular artists every sunday, and who ever performs that night there song usually goes straight to number 1! including there albums....

Rihanna was on last night and her two singles are in the top 10 and her album will defo sell double...its the largest viewed program in the uk and the best way to promote a artists...Even itunes got them to do a beatles week!

agggg, I see!! Thanks for the explanation.
Then somebody should have had them to do a Michael Jackson program.
The promotion of Michael is really scary, isn't it? :doh:

It all seems pretty tragic. I mean the days where MJ trounced and dominated the charts with his music....those days seem long gone. I just wish there was something that could be done to change it. I will be queuing up with pride to buy the new album first thing in the morning. I'm sure there will be many others....more so than anyone queuing up for a Take That fcukin album apoun it's release!

I've lost count of how many times Take That has been on the X Factor but the advert for the album was shown for Michael so we shall see. Like it or not going on the X Factor increases sales by a ridiculous amount but we shall see.

agggg, I see!! Thanks for the explanation.
Then somebody should have had them to do a Michael Jackson program.
The promotion of Michael is really scary, isn't it? :doh:

X Factor in all fairness have had two MJ weeks, one when he was alive in 2008 and one after in 2009. But rumours were that Simon Cowell was desperatly trying to get Michael to perform on the X Factor when he was over here for the concerts which he said no to.

Too little, too late :(

Not really. The sales of the album are far more important than the single. I know Take That have been mentioned enough in all these threads so let me just add that Take That didn't even get to number 1 with their single but their album turned out to be the fastest selling of the decade. Don't lose hope.

Not really. The sales of the album are far more important than the single. I know Take That have been mentioned enough in all these threads so let me just add that Take That didn't even get to number 1 with their single but their album turned out to be the fastest selling of the decade. Don't lose hope.

Fingers crossed, of course, but Take That have been all over XFactor this weekend....

Fingers crossed, of course, but Take That have been all over XFactor this weekend....

Yep, they have. And they've been on Strictly Come Dancing twice too (another popular TV show over here) but they've already shifted a LOT of albums, their sales are likely to dip at some point.

Take That will not sell 200,000 copies next week trust me. They only sold 160,000 last week so they will not rise another 40,000 two weeks later.

MICHAEL will hopefully debut at #1 in the UK with sales of close to 150,000.

HMH will rise into the top 10 next week

and there WILL be two more singles released globally.

Let's stay positive :)

Only two (2!!!) more singles?? Why would SONY only release 3 singles?

AD, HT, BTM and MTS are great single materiale! - And that would keep focus on Michael for a very long time.

Just did some research.

I really hope Michael will be #1.

Possible failure? Oh boy... the album is not even out in Canada, US and Japan.

Isn't it a little premature to even think about failure?

And, if the album doesn't sell well, Sony and the Estate have only themselves to blame. They are the one who put the tracks with sub-par vocals on the album.

Most people in the general public don't even follow the controversy. Sony made some doubtful choices thus far. Sony picked Breaking News, the weakest track (IMHO), to stream from the website. Sony released HMH as the first single. Seriously, HMH is not the kind of song takes people to the store to buy the album.

There are many reasons that lead to the success or failure of an album. This forum can't play that big a role.

What time of year was 'OMC' released? I'm pretty sure it wasn't 2/3 weeks before Christmas? This is a huge time of year for singles/album sales - especially; X-Factor/Charity/Xmas tunes.

IMO 'OMC' would not have made the top 30 if it was released this time of year. Perhaps we can get someone to confirm the sales of 'OMC' and we can compare?

I understand, but shouldn't the first posthumous release from Michael Jackson be considered something really special, even more so than some of those holiday songs? I don't know, I'm just surprised. Hopefully the second single will do better next year when there aren't any Xmas tunes around.

I also think Sony maybe should've gotten Akon to perform the song on the X Factor. They really seem to have dropped the ball on this single.

Remember... there have been NO sales reports from any countries so far. So we don't know if it's been a failure or not. The album has yet to be released in over 12 countries including Japan, US, Canada, etc.

It's 2:20 AM here in the UK which means a lot of people are asleep right now and the album has only been out just over 2 hours, but it's already no.9 on the I tunes chart and has some great reviews.

It's 2:20 AM here in the UK which means a lot of people are asleep right now and the album has only been out just over 2 hours, but it's already no.9 on the I tunes chart and has some great reviews.

keep it real, it's an unbelievable album.

Back