“Hollywood Tonight” VIDEO premieres NOW

I agree--they seemed to ignore the actual point of the song in making this video. If anything, it detracts from its message and actually seems to contradict it. The visuals and the video do not match up, and I suspect this is why they left out the spoken parts. They make it appear glamourous, when in fact, "going Hollywood" is quite terrible. There's a lot of dirty work, selling out, competition, and sacrifices made all for the chance of success and superstardom. That was Michael's point. This song was intended to be a dark song, like another poster said, kind of like "Who is It?" was.

The video, however, is pretty cheery. They almost try to make it out to be an "inspirational" video, and while there is nothing wrong with that in theory, there is something amiss only because the song attempts to convey the opposite message.

I get what other posters are trying to say in that the flash-mob dance is a beautiful scene--and it is-- it's probably my favourite part of the whole video. However, in retrospect, it seems rather out-of-place on a song which is describing the dark side of the road to fame.

Exactly! That's why I feel all these glove and hat references are out of place. You have a gift of words. You said what is in my mind so effectively.

I agree--they seemed to ignore the actual point of the song in making this video. If anything, it detracts from its message and actually seems to contradict it. The visuals and the video do not match up, and I suspect this is why they left out the spoken parts. They make it appear glamourous, when in fact, "going Hollywood" is quite terrible. There's a lot of dirty work, selling out, competition, and sacrifices made all for the chance of success and superstardom. That was Michael's point. This song was intended to be a dark song, like another poster said, kind of like "Who is It?" was.

The video, however, is pretty cheery. They almost try to make it out to be an "inspirational" video, and while there is nothing wrong with that in theory, there is something amiss only because the song attempts to convey the opposite message.

I get what other posters are trying to say in that the flash-mob dance is a beautiful scene--and it is-- it's probably my favourite part of the whole video. However, in retrospect, it seems rather out-of-place on a song which is describing the dark side of the road to fame.

Very well said. As usual. I always love your posts lol...

Nothing much else I can add :)

At least they were trying to tell a story and the girl wasn't just dancing in one spot the whole time and call that a video.

I agree with you about Michael's message of love and what not...Of course...

What I'm saying is that Michael's message in the song is not portrayed in this video. I want the video to represent Michael's message in the lyrics; it was touched on very little in the video, and the girl looks like she's having more fun than anything else...The video seems to depict a glamourization of Hollywood, as opposed to the serious downside of it. Michael had something important and serious to say and it seems that for the most part, that was ignored in favour of Michael's 'trademarks' - a hat and a glove and dancing. He was MORE than that - he was an amazing songwriter with powerful messages. That's all I'm saying.

Thank you so much for your opinion. Now I understand it much better. I really appreciate that.

I see the message of the video as follows:
After seeing the dark side of Hollywood (winning the audition for the stripper), which looked good only from afar, the girl decided to take Michael's advice: follow your dreams. But your REAL dreams. I think seeing Michael's lovely posture in the street posters (in a hat and a glove) was enough for the girl to put her on the right track. She saw the SYMBOL and remembered what Michael taught her!
Dance was her greatest love - but not doing something against your own self.
She decided to be like Michael - just dance for simple people in the streets. Give them joy and happiness. You don't need to be a famous Hollywood star to be happy. You simply need to do something good to others.

Thank you so much for your opinion. Now I understand it much better. I really appreciate that.
After seeing the dark side of Hollywood (winning the audition for the stripper), which looked good only from afar, the girl decided to take Michael's advice: follow your dreams. But your REAL dreams. I think seeing Michael's lovely posture in the street posters (in a hat and a glove) was enough for her to put her on the right track. She saw the SYMBOL and remembered what Michael taught her!
She decided to be like Michael - just dance for simple people in the streets. Give them joy and happiness. You don't need to be a famous Hollywood star to be happy. You simply need to do something good to others.

Interesting interpretation...I like it :) I still don't think it touches what Michael was trying to say in the song, but interesting nonetheless :) The message of the video is very different than what Michael was trying to say.

After seeing the dark side of Hollywood (winning the audition for the stripper), which looked good only from afar, the girl decided to take Michael's advice: follow your dreams. But your REAL dreams. I think seeing Michael's lovely posture in the street posters (in a hat and a glove) was enough for the girl to put her on the right track. She saw the SYMBOL and remembered what Michael taught her!

I like that too. I like how she put her hand on Michael's star. I think if I ever get the chance to see it myself I would do the same thing.

At least they were trying to tell a story and the girl wasn't just dancing in one spot the whole time and call that a video.

Actually, with the creative use of lighting and different camera angles, a girl dancing the whole time can also be an innovative video. Beyonce's Single Lady comes to my mind.

Actually, with the creative use of lighting and different camera angles, a girl dancing the whole time can also be an innovative video. Beyonce's Single Lady comes to my mind.

I don't like that video. I am sorry. I do like the song but not the video so much. I have liked others she has done too.

i dont even like the song period! and i dont have the album and i have no intention of ever buying it...michael is gone and he had nothing to do with this album and the music videos so to me this isnt michael jackson album....

they need to just stop it! mike is gone and lets just enjoy the magic he created while in life

Or you can just STOP watching the videos...or coming into these threads? What do you think?

Stop demanding that they stop...because many of us do want MJ's legacy to continue...and do what's best for you...move on.

I don't like that video. I am sorry. I do like the song but not the video so much. I have liked others she has done too.

Nothing to be sorry about. Perfect example of how different people have different opinions. :D

Beyonce is one of very few artists who still come up with decent videos these days.

Re: Message to john mcclain

Dear John McClain,

you are not a good producer, please leave Michaels music alone!
You already blatantly messed up 'Behind The Mask' and other songs from the "Michael" album by adding and changing things in a way that screams of deaf ears. Please leave the production jobs to the professionals.

You're not doing Michaels legacy any favour by adding the worlds most famous drum sounds of 'Billie Jean' to a NEW Michael Jackson Song. It makes 'Hollywood Tonite' sound like a cheap & desperate attempt to rehash a bit of the old Thriller times glory. The highlight song of this album now sounds absolutely ridiculous and i feel sorry for everyone who will hear the song first in this version.

In the name of Michaels legacy - dear John McClain - please leave Michaels music alone!
Thank you.

:clapping: For real! Someone build these people a freakin Time Machine already! :smilerolleyes: lol

I like it, nice video and nice remix with the Billie Jean drums. Good job I reckon!

Or you can just STOP watching the videos...or coming into these threads? What do you think?

Stop demanding that they stop...because many of us do want MJ's legacy to continue...and do what's best for you...move on.

Just wanna say he/she is as much a Michael Jackson fan as you.

And, don't worry. Michael's legacy is going on STRONGLY even without any new video. A youtube video clip is just a tiny addendum to a grand legacy.

May be you want to take a step back and take a different perspective to the whole picture of Michael's legacy.

NOW uploading my edit of the HT video BUT with audio-edit of the album version ! ! ! ! ! Check back topics soon I will post it in a new topic because it's another video

i like the video and its got a good story to it. Michaels videos were about a story and this is similar. Did anyone notice the Billie Jean mix in it?

Just wanna say he/she is as much a Michael Jackson fan as you.

And, don't worry. Michael's legacy is going on STRONGLY even without any new video. A youtube video clip is just a tiny addendum to a grand legacy.

May be you want to take a step back and take a different perspective to the whole picture of Michael's legacy.

Well, she is free to like the videos...not. Just like is she doesn't like them, she should do what most people would do in such case... ignore them.

That doesn't make her less of a fan...

Well, whatever you say...MJ's legacy is what he did in the past but whatever he left is also part of his legacy.

It did not even when he passed...huh?

And no I don't need to take as step because I am not the one whining about the videos and still checking them out. Instead of asking others to stop,the best thing is to do YOU...and keep it moving.

I liked that it didn't have that lame Taryll spoken part... liked most of the music, sucks it has the B.J beat though...
and the video is terrible...

NOW uploading my edit of the HT video BUT with audio-edit of the album version ! ! ! ! ! Check back topics soon I will post it in a new topic because it's another video
I just came here to post that I hope someone will replace the audio with the album version and put it on Youtube! :D I will post the video on my Facebook page if you will do a good job. :cheeky:

I just came here to post that I hope someone will replace the audio with the album version and put it on Youtube! :D I will post the video on my Facebook page if you will do a good job. :cheeky:

Was not that easy because when I edited out the spoken part I also have to cut some other parts as well because when I cut out the videopart of the break the video is again 15 secondes shorter.. somewhere......
So I cut video & audio to get it fit....

Well, she is free to like the videos...not. Just like is she doesn't like them, she should do what most people would do in such case... ignore them.

That doesn't make her less of a fan...

Well, whatever you say...MJ's legacy is what he did in the past but whatever he left is also part of his legacy.

It did not even when he passed...huh?

And no I don't need to take as step because I am not the one whining about the videos and still checking them out. Instead of asking others to stop,the best thing is to do YOU...and keep it moving.

No one is WHINING about the videos. There have been some objective analyses of the videos, positive and negative. Even if he/she didn't provide an in depth opinion, nonetheless, it still is his/her opinion and he/she has a right to that opinion. It's also not your place to tell someone what they 'should' or 'shouldn't' do.

You're basically saying this person shouldn't post in this thread if it's a less favourable opinion. Further segregation and alienation of those who don't hold a positive opinion about something.

Last edited:
so did anyone get the message of the song that hollywood aint no good as it seems? i think i missed it in the vid cause i was too much into the girl dancer. or did they really throw away the songs message. but other than that, i liked it!

Wow! To be honest it told the Story Michael wanted to tell. It made me cry and i like this version of the song best. Everyone should stop bitching and be happy the estate is giving these things to us. Because we could end up with nothing at all.

Again cut the rudeness out now. If you dont like the video then fine, if you do then fine, but do not belittle each persons opinion.

Back