How did MJ not slip while dancing in loafers?

Eric

Proud Member
So we all know MJ would dance in his signature loafers. Most loafers have a leather sole and are very slick. I'm sure wearing loafers helped MJ when doing the moonwalk and other moves. But at other times I don't know how MJ never slipped on stage. If you've ever tried to run in a pair of loafers, you would know what I mean. I've seen MJ run across the stage during the history tour. Was MJ just so light on his feet that he could wear slick sole shoes and not slip at all?

^^ one out of 1000 concerts lol
I've always wondered this too :happy:
Most dancers wear special shoes to prevent slipping but MJ wore these loafers all the time :)

It's because he scored the bottom of them with scissors, but yeah I'd imagine it'd be HARD!!

Yes! Michael was light on his feet that was probably why he never slipped on stage :ciao:

In an interview that choreo Tina Landon (Janets main choreo throughout the years. She also did Scream vid). She said that in the beginning of the dance where MJ and Janet had to slide on one knee, there had to be powder down to make the floor slick. After that MJ wanted powder because he liked dancing on slick surfaces but Janet did not.

I agree that he scored the soles of the loafers -runway models do that with their heels as well.

honestly lofers once warn down properly gives a perfect blend of smoothness to gluide perfectly yet still have enough to control yourself. PLUS practicing weight distribution correctly in dance helps. Whenever I can I personally even practice on ice purpously to practice proper weight distributions to the extreme so when I am on the dance floor I am overly trained with weight.. It also helps prevent possible injuries too

This thread got me remembering at Cardiff Arms Park for the Dangerous tour when it started to rain Michael was directing the crew to dry the stage so he didn't slip. Happy memories.

Next question....how did he manage to do that without cutting his fingers to pieces.... perhaps it explains the bandages! (Only joking!)

I always wondered how he managed to keep his loafers ON his feet, esp with the kicks...most male dancers wear lace-up shoes.
:lol:
Another 2 great questions.

Interesting topic. Props to T/S!

I agree that he scored the soles of the loafers -runway models do that with their heels as well.
I appreciate the info.

honestly lofers once warn down properly gives a perfect blend of smoothness to gluide perfectly yet still have enough to control yourself. PLUS practicing weight distribution correctly in dance helps. Whenever I can I personally even practice on ice purpously to practice proper weight distributions to the extreme so when I am on the dance floor I am overly trained with weight.. It also helps prevent possible injuries too
I see, thanks for breaking it all down.
Besides the danger of slipping, didn't his loafers probably hurt his back?
He constantly danced with the loafers on since he was a kid...
I think all the years of performing ALONE, even without the not-so-comfortable shoes, it must have done something to his joints and esp. his back......

Interesting topic. Props to T/S!

I appreciate the info.

I see, thanks for breaking it all down.
Besides the danger of slipping, didn't his loafers probably hurt his back?
He constantly danced with the loafers on since he was a kid...
I think all the years of performing ALONE, even without the not-so-comfortable shoes, it must have done something to his joints and esp. his back......

We do not know that the shoes were uncomfortable for him. He used a pair of shoes until they were very worn, so I am sure they were comfortable to him. He never mentioned that his shoes gave him back and joint problems. His medical issues came from other things.

He had the power to control gravity and to break the laws of physics which incapacitate us lesser mortals. Little-known fact.

This is a great discussion. Thank you to all who posted the possible solutions. As far as comfort with his loafers, I have worn the same shoes (at least I believe they are); Bass Weejuns and they are pretty comfortable. I can imagine that they would be more comfortable once they are worn out a bit, but can't say for sure as mine are still fairly new.

Michael used to wrap his feet like ballet dances to create flexability.. That often begins to be pretty dang painful after time after time.. Which would over power any pain a shoe would cause. PLUS Michael had his shoes specially made, meaning a perfect fit for his feet so I doubt that it caused any serious problems.. aside from the demandingness that would come from being a dancer in any pair of shoes.

This is a great discussion. Thank you to all who posted the possible solutions. As far as comfort with his loafers, I have worn the same shoes (at least I believe they are); Bass Weejuns and they are pretty comfortable. I can imagine that they would be more comfortable once they are worn out a bit, but can't say for sure as mine are still fairly new.

I bought a pair of those, they should be here tommorow. Michael's were the same I believe for Jam.

WOW... The stuff you learn here is better than slzzping :hysterical:
I'm exactly looking for loafers like Michael wore... My shoes are worn out and I haven' t found my taste in new ones yet...

I bought a pair of those, they should be here tommorow. Michael's were the same I believe for Jam.
I have 2 pairs of Bass Weejuns and I have to say that they aren't the best quality. I have 2 pairs of Signature weejuns, which are the highest quality ones and the soles became worn out quite quickly. I won't say they are poor quality, but just not the best. I also own a pair of Sebago Caymans which MJ wore for his 30th anniversary shows. They are better quality that the weejuns in my opinion.

So we all know MJ would dance in his signature loafers. Most loafers have a leather sole and are very slick. I'm sure wearing loafers helped MJ when doing the moonwalk and other moves. But at other times I don't know how MJ never slipped on stage. If you've ever tried to run in a pair of loafers, you would know what I mean. I've seen MJ run across the stage during the history tour. Was MJ just so light on his feet that he could wear slick sole shoes and not slip at all?

I have often wondered the same thing!

It's because he scored the bottom of them with scissors, but yeah I'd imagine it'd be HARD!!

Yep, I think I remember a video clip - somewhere - where he had a pair of scissors and was sitting on a couch or chair, just before a concert, scraping/scoring the bottom of his loafers.

In an interview that choreo Tina Landon (Janets main choreo throughout the years. She also did Scream vid). She said that in the beginning of the dance where MJ and Janet had to slide on one knee, there had to be powder down to make the floor slick. After that MJ wanted powder because he liked dancing on slick surfaces but Janet did not.

Wow, y'all are GREAT at knowing stuff like this! I never knew that. Thanks for sharing.

God controlled his feet to perfection.

Yes He did!

Next question....how did he manage to do that without cutting his fingers to pieces.... perhaps it explains the bandages! (Only joking!)

I always wondered how he managed to keep his loafers ON his feet, esp with the kicks...most male dancers wear lace-up shoes.

http://[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/14/mjscoringsolesheels.jpg/][/URL]

^^^THIS! This always had me puzzled more than the slipping did. lol I always wondered how in the heck his shoe didn't fly off and hit some fan in the head when he did those kick, leg wiggle thing like he does on Billy Jean!

Because he's Michael Jackson. Physics don't apply.

EXTREMELY well said! And very true!

Michael used to wrap his feet like ballet dances to create flexability.. That often begins to be pretty dang painful after time after time.. Which would over power any pain a shoe would cause. PLUS Michael had his shoes specially made, meaning a perfect fit for his feet so I doubt that it caused any serious problems.. aside from the demandingness that would come from being a dancer in any pair of shoes.

Again, GREAT information! I didn't know this either! Thanks for sharing.

Back