How Old Are You and How Long Have You Been an MJ Fan?

What age group do you fit in?

• 12 and under

Votes: 26 3.1%
  • 13-17

Votes: 139 16.3%
  • 18-24

Votes: 306 36.0%
  • 25-30

Votes: 177 20.8%
  • 31-39

Votes: 112 13.2%
  • 40 and over

Votes: 91 10.7%

• Total voters
Re: How old are you and how long have you been a MJ fan?

I'm 26 and I've been a fan of Michael for almost my whole life.
My very first memories of Michael go back to Captain EO, Moonwalker, Bad and continue with Dangerous era /(Live shows on TV) and unfortunately parts of the accusations which made Michael kind of "forbidden" in our family. I was about 8-9 years old and I had no idea what was going on. 1997 I became one of those fans who had to have EVERYTHING :'D I'm still far away from having everything (lol) but my L.O.V.E. for Michael never changed. And it never will.

I'm 22 and I've loved his music for as long as I can remember!!!!!

I am 40 and I love Michael for 28 years now.
He was the first guy I fell in love. :)
With his music, his dance, his looks.
And I love him more and more every day.

I'm 24 and been an MJ fan since I was about four. My earliest memory was my dad buying the Dangerous album and I was just obsessed, I had to have it played all the time. Had to have it playing everytime we went in the car, just everywhere. My dad had both the tape copy and CD copy and I remember grabbing the CD copy, sitting on the floor in my living room and just staring at the album cover for hours trying to find something new. Seems really silly but that's something I'll never forget.

^^
Sweet story. My daughter was 4 when she became a Michael-fan.
We were watching Thriller 20 times a day. ( I was not complaining :) )
And here we are today...she is 15, I am 40 and we both crazy about him. Totaly.

I was born in 1979, so I'm currency 31 years old.

My first real memory of seeing Michael in all his glory is the video for The Way You Make Me Feel.

My parents had just gotten Cable television, which in the 80's in Glasgow was new and rare to have, and of course one of the channels was MTV. My Mum was a fan, as most people were in the day, so I'd heard Billie Jean and Beat It on the home stereo, but when I seen the video for The Way You Make Me Feel, I was hooked. I can remember wearing my school trousers and a denim shirt tied at the bottom trying to sing along to the video when it came on. At that time I'd be around 7 or 8 years old, so using that as my "starting point", I'd say I've been a fan for 23/24 years.

Why am I still a fan today? Well, he was my first real musician I got into and his music speaks for itself. I've defending him against haters, I've gotten involved in arguments that didn't involve me to speak up for him when others were bashing him, and I've taken a hell of a lot of stick and been subject to mockery from people who think he's guilty of the allegations levelled at him. As someone who was a bit of an underdog and a shy person in my youth, I guess Michael spoke to me through his music and I felt it was my place to defend him when he couldn't defend himself.

No matter what other bands I've gotten into as I got older, no matter what other genres I've began listening to (mainly rock/metal), I've always had Michael's music on my walkman's, CD player's, iPod's, and now iPhone.

As a person who no longer buys CD's and who buys music digitally, I have long since sold my CD collection all except Michael's albums, as they have massive sentimental value to me.

Im 18

Ive been a fan since I was 8

I'm 17, been a fan since I discovered him, which was when I was 8 or 9.

I'm 38 and I've been a fan since I was 12. That's me in the avatar when I was about 12. I saw Michael live for the first time in London during the Bad tour in 1988 when I was 16...

I'm 20 and I don't know the exact age that I was when I first became a fan...BUT my family is from Gary, Indiana so they were always strong supporters of The Jacksons and Michael himself when he went off and went solo.

Growing up, even though they moved from Gary, they always spoke highly of Mike and played his music...a lot. So much that when I was much younger, I use to think his music was annoying, because I heard it alllllllll the time. Haha. Boy how time's change.

As I got older, I started studying him and his career and I just fell in love with HIM. His music, his heart, the things he did for the world. & sooner than later, I was obsessed and a "stan" as people like to call it. Now until this day, I have never loved an artist as much as I loved Mike and I don't think I ever will. :)

That's also another reason why I'm glad I came across this site.
Other people find my infatuation with Mike...."crazy" or "too much" for them.

I'm currently 35. My first memory of Michael Jackson? Wowwww.... when I was some 4-5 years old and my family would sit to have "once" (the Chilean version of the English 5 o'clock tea :lol:) and we will watch some cartoons, The Jackson 5 among those. So the first song I heard must have been "A, B, C" and many more, but I thought that was just a cartoon caracter, not a real person.

Back in those days we were quite poor, so we had a very small black & white TV (yes, TV was not always in bright colors, guys!) and there was a small radio at home, a very small clock radio, but my parents would hear only music in Spanish. Eventually we moved to another house and I remember the face of young Michael in every magazine and his name always in the air... Those were the Thriller days. One day I saw the making of Thriller on tv and I was scared to death. Ever since then I thought the video of Thriller was actually a movie, so when I ever saw it, I was both scared and angry. The reason? I was like: "agggg!!! I miss the first part again!! What happened before they went to the cinema??? How did they meet??" :angry:

It really took me a long time to understand Thriller was a video (well, a short film really) and I hadn't missed a thing. When I learned that was Michael Jackson, I start wondering about the cartoon I had seen years before. Well... I am such a snail, for it really took me several years to understand that the charming little boy of the cartón and the "monster" at the end of Thriller were one and the same.

And yes, for most of my childhood I really believed Michael Jackson was from another world. I really mean it. And when I saw him do the lean in Smooth Criminal, I thought he was simply magical. And poor me was so sure he was really doing that!! I tried many times.... needless to say what happened to me :smilerolleyes:

He is just a part of my own life. I just can't forget him.

Michael, I miss you so much. So, so much :(

Last edited:

I'm 21, and I didn't become a diehard fan until 93'. As a kid I liked Billy Jean, Thriller, and BAD, but that was just because they were catchy tunes. Black & White was the first video I actually sat down and watched, that's when I became captivated by his magic and have never looked back.

age:18 ...fan since i saw he was innocent in the 05 trials..

I'm 22 years old, and I have been a fan ever since I discovered who Michael Jackson was, when I was 11. Back then I didn't even know what he looked like, because the first thing I actually saw was the movie "The Jacksons: An American Dream", with an actor. lol I liked the scene where little Mike throws a shoe at Joseph and decided right then and there that he was the coolest kid! XD So that's how I became a fan...

I'm 23 years old, and my first memories of Michael are from 91/92. I remember watching Black Or White and Thriller on MTV, and I was so mesmerized.
I also remember that I was so terrified after watching Thriller, I seriously thought I'm gona transform in to a werewolf at night!!! (I was only 4 at that time)

I always loved his music, his dancing, his videos, and I always loved him
and as I got older I started to realized what of a person he actually, and that made me just completely fall in love whit him
and till this day I still didn't lose that feeling and I never will...

I'm 18 and became an MJ fan after I listened to my mum's HIStory tapes :D That was around 1997, so I was around 4 or 5

I'm 16 and i have been a fan since i picked up the number ones dvd when i was eight years old.

I'm 31 and have been a fan for roughly 26 years.I've been through it all.The good times and bad.When it was bad, it was tough to see him go through what he went through.But when it was good, it was the most amazing music and magic I've ever experienced.The guy was a total one-off genius.There'll never be another.

Have I not posted in this thread yet? Bleh. I couldn't find myself in the list of posters.

Anyway, I'm 24 and consider myself to have been an MJ fan since I bought the HIStory album when I was 12 (it was the first album I ever bought for myself actually, and definitely my first from Amazon, way back in January 2001).

MJ has remained one of my favourite artists down the years, although the extent to which I've listened to him has varied over the years - I stayed in touch with everything that he was doing but didn't listen to him again hugely after going through a real MJ phase from '01 to about '03, until his death. That tragedy jerked me back into seriously appreciating him again, after the preceding years of my life had been dominated by other priorities. It has not abated since. So I'm not a new fan by any means - I always like to say that I'm a reacquainted one.

Been a fan since 1978 .wow that makes me sound really old.

First of all, I am really blown away to see that >76% of the votes are from people under 30. This is really awesome and demonstrates the longevity of Michael's career. I am 43. I've been a fan of MJ since the late 70's. I remember listening to Workin Day and Night with my brother on our little record player. We had so much fun in our bell bottoms!

So I'm not a new fan by any means - I always like to say that I'm a reacquainted one.

I can relate to this. I like the way you worded this. I'm 27 years old and have appreciated Michael for as long as I can remember. In 1996 I became a die-hard fan, collecting stuff, attending fanclub days, listening to Michael everyday, going to his concerts and so on. HIStory turned me into a fan. I had a copied cassette tape from someone and after the first cd Michael left a spoken message for his Dutch fans, it gave me chills. I loved the music. Especially Black or White, Little Susie and History. These aren't my favourite tracks anymore, but this is the fun part of being Michael's fan - you constantly shift genres and emotions with his songs so everyday you can have a brand new favourite song. It's never static. Up until 2002 I stayed an active fan with posters of him plastered all over my room. After that I met the love of my life and my love for Michael faded a bit. The posters, fanzines and collecting was a thing of the past, but I still loved listening to his music and I was very much hyped if I read something about him. But I didn't keep a log book nor a scrapbook anymore of all things Michael like I used to do. The Bashir doc left me with mixed feelings. It gave me the feeling that Michael wasn't happy. It made me sad. The trial I followed closely, but after he was vindicated I got the impression that he didn't enjoy his fame anymore. So I decided to still enjoy his gifts but not to expect anything new from him anymore. He had given us enough. When I was backpacking in a third world country in March 2009 I saw Michael being announced on CNN in a grubby cafe. I immediately said to my boyfriend: 'He's dead, omg, he's dead. Please no!' He wasn't of course, but this feeling didn't leave me. The concert announcement didn't really comfort me. I thought: just rest Michael, there's no need to prove yourself once more. Well, then he died and I am still grieving. Like my 13-year old self, I can't get enough of him once more.

Hi I'm Suzie, a long time fan! Im 28 and have been a fan for as long as I can remember. My earliest memories are from when I was 5 or 6 and the Bad album was out and my family went to see Bad at Wembley - I was too little to go though so cried for weeks about it ha ha! So I guess I have been a fan for 23 years!

i am 30 and a fan since i heard ''bad'' in a school party.i was 9 years old then

I am 36 now.i 've been a fan since i was 13...I remember when Bad album came out i left from my school to go and buy with my best friend the album....i was until the night to my friend's house dancing for hours..
finally when i went to my house my mom hit me so much even now i remember...
then i cried not of the pain but for the sadness i brought to my family..my mom cried and shouted because she thought that someone stolen her child...

(sorry for my english...)i hope you understand what i meant:)

I'm 26 (today!), I've benn a fan since 2001.

I'm twenty years old, and I remember distinctly the first few times I heard MJ. Black Or White was still getting heavy airplay when I was around 3 or 4, and then when HIStory hit it was pure mayhem here in Australia! Whenever I hear SCREAM I'm instantly taken back to visiting Sydney to see my dad, especially when Michael was here for the Ghosts premiere.

However, like many people of my generation I was turned against MJ during the trial. I remember quite vividly seeing the footage of Neverland when the raid had happened, and turning to my mum and asking how she felt about it. To me, I got a "weird" feeling. But I know now that as a kid, you're pretty impressionable when it comes to how news reports are put together and what angles they take, and the same thing happens to a lot of adults too.

I discovered Michael's music properly for the first time in late 2007/2008, and that's when I really became a proper fan.

26. Been a fan since 95.

Back