Invincible Voted As Best Album In 2000's Decade: Billboard Readers

That is unbelievable. It is so obvious that this album wouldn't make it in the top 100 if MJ would not die... This album is not even close to top 100 best albums of the decade...

That is unbelievable. It is so obvious that this album wouldn't make it in the top 100 if MJ would not die... This album is not even close to top 100 best albums of the decade...

Do you mean it is that bad or that underrated? It can't be that bad that it wouldn't make the top 100 of the decade.

I was disappointed with Invincible and didn't feel that it was on a par with Michael's previous albums. Having said that, albums like Dangerous, Bad and HIStory are as close to perfect as you can get, so even a sub-par MJ record is better than most peoples music.

Whilst there is much to appreciate on Invincible, there is also a fair amount of filler material and songs which sound as if he isn't really interested in making music anymore (songs like Privacy and the title cut for example).

I have a very wide ranging taste in music, but these are just a few of the albums released in the last decade which I would say are much more deserving of being crowned "album of the decade":

Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk
Prince - Lotusflow3r
Guns N Roses - Chinese Democracy
Kate Bush - Aerial
Velvet Revolver - Contraband
Neil Young - Living With War
David Bowie - Heathen

But this is a poll primarily voted for by a particular demographic who probably wouldn't have even heard of most of those albums. I'm still glad to see Invincible getting some respect. It got a lot of unfair reviews when it was released, but when you have a back catalogue as strong as MJ's, it's like building a rod for your own back. No artist could keep up that level of quality control.

I agree with this post, great calibre of artists selected! I especially agree with the bolded.

Invincible haters, just shut up!!! - you've been proved WRONG and although you'll try to say everything to put this beautiful album down, the votes prove you wrong. I love Invincible, it has so many beautiful songs, and is a powerful album, and only a blind (or media worshipping) fool cannot see that.

Invincible haters, just shut up!!! - you've been proved WRONG and although you'll try to say everything to put this beautiful album down, the votes prove you wrong. I love Invincible, it has so many beautiful songs, and is a powerful album, and only a blind (or media worshipping) fool cannot see that.

That's a funny post. It's written by someone who obviously view the world as black or white.
Cccc...
I don't think that anyone here hates Invincible. Could you show me some posts? But some people realise, that it has many mistakes - that does not make them Invincible haters. I, for example, like Invincible and i listen to it a lot, but at the same time i realise, that it's not such a good album. It's too cheezy, repetive and unoriginal.
You have to accept the fact that unlike you, some people don't love something just because it's MJ and beleive it or not, some people have higher standards for music.
Nobody has prove us wrong - you can't prove that someone has a wrong taste! It's called personal preference.
If anything has been proven, then it was the fact, that MJ has very loyal fans.
The last sentence in your post proves, that you are not capable of accepting other opinions. That would be all.

I think it's fair to say I hated it :)

How bloody rude though. "Shut up"? Unbelievable.

It's clearly the worst album of Michael's adult career and anyone that accepts it's number one standing in this chart has to also accept that Taylor Swift recorded two of the top 5 albums of the entire decade. Which is complete nonsense.

Invincible is a poor album by anyone's standards. But by Michael Jackdon's standards? It's a train-wreck.

The guy that was setting musical trends and breaking musical barriers was long gone by 2001. There were moments of brilliance but just moments. Compare it, for example, to the Bad album. On which almost every record is a timeless masterpiece - synthesizers aside. Privacy, 2000 Watts, You Are My Life, Threatened - all filler material.

You could point at his battle with Sony at the time as being a contributing factor to his lack of creative input - only two self-composed songs on the album - but Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On' album was only released by Berry Gordy as a bet! Ie. If it fails you're out! And that REALLY is one of the best albums of the recent pop era.

:hijacked

Not another Invincible debate! :smilerolleyes:

I have respect for all your opinions but if you hate Invincible and have nothing nice to say then don’t try to ruin it for us.

Lets give Invincible One more chance at love... :wub:

I’m outta here…

With love…

I think it's fair to say I hated it :)

How bloody rude though. "Shut up"? Unbelievable.

It's clearly the worst album of Michael's adult career and anyone that accepts it's number one standing in this chart has to also accept that Taylor Swift recorded two of the top 5 albums of the entire decade. Which is complete nonsense.

Invincible is a poor album by anyone's standards. But by Michael Jackdon's standards? It's a train-wreck.

The guy that was setting musical trends and breaking musical barriers was long gone by 2001. There were moments of brilliance but just moments. Compare it, for example, to the Bad album. On which almost every record is a timeless masterpiece - synthesizers aside. Privacy, 2000 Watts, You Are My Life, Threatened - all filler material.

You could point at his battle with Sony at the time as being a contributing factor to his lack of creative input - only two self-composed songs on the album - but Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On' album was only released by Berry Gordy as a bet! Ie. If it fails you're out! And that REALLY is one of the best albums of the recent pop era.

it's obvious that Invincible is not MJ's best. But to reflect the album on the man is a HUGE mistake on your part. Listening to the demoes on the ultimate collection clearly indicates that MJ was holding back on this one. As you've pointed out, there were only 2 songs written by him, and they're not even his best! (I would take beautiful girl and WHE over speechless and lost children)

Invincible is still a lot better than a lot of the albums released in 2000's. Is it one of the best? That's debatable, but to say it's weak album by anyone's standards is not true. The album has filler songs, so what? I don't think any album could be vindicated of such claim. Invincible, at it's core, is a good album with great songs. It may be a weak album by MJ's standards but hardly any one else.

Jeez! What does does this crappy little poll prove?? Have you had a look at the other "top albums" of this decade?? Ashley Tisdale, Adam Lambert, 2 Britney Spears albums, 2 Taylor Swift albums... I mean, really???

This poll, if anything, only shows who has the most rabid fans... it's hardly a respectable poll! Actually it's kinda embarrasing that Billboard even published it!

michael has stated many times that he loves invincible, and cant understand why other dont, you need to give it alot of listens

Did he really say he loved it? I remember that telephone/radio interview when he refers to the Santana collaberation and he could barely remember the name of the song.

I think I've listened to it enough. It's still as weak as it always was.

Did he really say he loved it? I remember that telephone/radio interview when he refers to the Santana collaberation and he could barely remember the name of the song.

I think I've listened to it enough. It's still as weak as it always was.

all he said was that he worked hard on the album at that virgin premiere thingy, and he said he loved unbreakable at the killer thriller party. I don't remember him ever saying something like "I love invincible".

Can you link me to that telephone conversation? :)

it's obvious that Invincible is not MJ's best. But to reflect the album on the man is a HUGE mistake on your part. Listening to the demoes on the ultimate collection clearly indicates that MJ was holding back on this one. As you've pointed out, there were only 2 songs written by him, and they're not even his best! (I would take beautiful girl and WHE over speechless and lost children)

Invincible is still a lot better than a lot of the albums released in 2000's. Is it one of the best? That's debatable, but to say it's weak album by anyone's standards is not true. The album has filler songs, so what? I don't think any album could be vindicated of such claim. Invincible, at it's core, is a good album with great songs. It may be a weak album by MJ's standards but hardly any one else.

He was holding back? You can say that again.

Beautiful Girl is just as weak as anything else on that album. Maybe I just expected more from the man.

Beautiful Girl was just a demo and it was far better than either speechless or the lost children.

all he said was that he worked hard on the album at that virgin premiere thingy, and he said he loved unbreakable at the killer thriller party. I don't remember him ever saying something like "I love invincible".

Can you link me to that telephone conversation? :)

Here you are. 8.40 he starts talking about the song but it sounds like he eventually gets a prompt off-air at 9.55 with the title of the song. There's a few seconds where he's thinking of the tracks name! Hardly inspires confidence in the profuct does it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TMC2RSlTTo&feature=youtube_gdata

Beautiful Girl was just a demo and it was far better than either speechless or the lost children.

Yes but saying it's better than those two songs is not exactly a vote of confidence :)

Michael has stated that if there were 3 songs he could sing for the rest of his life they would be speechless, you are my life and some other song, heal the world i think. Mainly because of their message, but it shows that he liked these songs aswell. He's there in that interview banging on about how it was a conspiracy that invincible didnt sell so well, he obviously thought it was strong

Invincible was never going to be a normal michael album, he wanted a sound change, he wanted to go futuristic. The whole thing was basically an experiment for him, to see whether the world embraced this new sound. The problem most have is its rarely melodic, and more a rhythmic album, see 2000 watts, threatened, heartbreaker, ect. And the melodys we did here were very limited and awkward almost to non fans. I love the album, but i really think its a like it or hate it thing. I could go on for hours about it, but i cant be bothered. Remember people, music is subjective!!!!! My personal fave on the album is break of dawn, its such a lovely composition, get the piano chords out and study the harmonies, the genius is as strong as ever within the music, its just more inacessible and the album has a lack of continuity. But this album is michaels last full album that he gave us willingly within his lifetime and we really should embrace it

That's great news! I always thought Invincible had a lot of potential. Speechless, Heartbreaker, You Rock my World and Threatened. We could hear how good Threatened really is in This is it.

Yes but saying it's better than those two songs is not exactly a vote of confidence :)

I don't exactly understand what you're saying. But for what it's worth I consider speechless and the lost children to be good songs. I also consider Beautiful Girl, in it's demo state, to be a better piece than either of those two... can you please elaborate I don't even know what you're looking for :p

Wow I didn't know this. That's great news, because I love Invincible. I don't think it's his best album, but it sure has some of my favourites on there like Speechless. That songs just hits me everytime I hear it. Always try to get other people to listen to the album as well, because they keep saying ow is shit. Because that is what they read in the media. But then they listen to it and love it :)

Last edited:
Wow I didn't know this. That's great news, because I love Invincible. I don't think it's his best album, but it sure has some of my favourites on there like Speechless. That songs just hits me everytime I hear it. Always try to get other people to listen to the album as well, because they keep saying ow is shit. Because that is what they read in the media. But then they listen to it and love it :)

wow..i'd feel embarrassed for myself if i knew the media had that much influence over me.

wow..i'd feel embarrassed for myself if i knew the media had that much influence over me.

You'd be surprised on how many people believe what is said in reviews. They don't see that a review is an opinion of only 1 person. And with reviews it's ussualy about film, theater or music. Especially those things are so personal. What one likes, someone else doesn't like.
So many people don't seem to get that and are to lazy to go and create their own opinion.

You'd be surprised on how many people believe what is said in reviews. They don't see that a review is an opinion of only 1 person. And with reviews it's ussualy about film, theater or music. Especially those things are so personal. What one likes, someone else doesn't like.
So many people don't seem to get that and are to lazy to go and create their own opinion.

These people are called SHEEPLE. I called them "Headline readers".

Not smart enough to do research and form their own opinions.

I don't exactly understand what you're saying. But for what it's worth I consider speechless and the lost children to be good songs. I also consider Beautiful Girl, in it's demo state, to be a better piece than either of those two... can you please elaborate I don't even know what you're looking for :p

I meant those songs, in my opinion, were saccharin and weak. Some of the lyrics were simply embarrassing- "Its as though I'm standing in... The place called hallowed ground". The fact that you think a demo sounds better than them speaks volumes.

I meant those songs, in my opinion, were saccharin and weak. Some of the lyrics were simply embarrassing- "Its as though I'm standing in... The place called hallowed ground". The fact that you think a demo sounds better than them speaks volumes.

well, the beauty of those songs is they were made for all the many people that love them, and not for you, i guess..lol

Back