Invincible Voted As Best Album In 2000's Decade: Billboard Readers

I respect your opinion but I disagree..

Why can't it be the album of the decade? This is not based on album sales or anything. It's based on what people feel is the album of the decade. Many people(of all ages) feel this decades music was not as great compared to the 90's,80's,70's, and 60's. Although Invincible didn't have the impact of a Nirvana's "Nevermind" album for example, I feel that no other album compares to the quality of each and every song on Invincible.

Micheal's music is more popular today than any artists at this moment and people aren't just listening to Thriller 1000x times over, they are listening to all of his music including Invincible. People have simply discovered what a truly great album it is.

I'm curious what album you feel is of better quality this decade?

I was disappointed with Invincible and didn't feel that it was on a par with Michael's previous albums. Having said that, albums like Dangerous, Bad and HIStory are as close to perfect as you can get, so even a sub-par MJ record is better than most peoples music.

Whilst there is much to appreciate on Invincible, there is also a fair amount of filler material and songs which sound as if he isn't really interested in making music anymore (songs like Privacy and the title cut for example).

I have a very wide ranging taste in music, but these are just a few of the albums released in the last decade which I would say are much more deserving of being crowned "album of the decade":

Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk
Prince - Lotusflow3r
Guns N Roses - Chinese Democracy
Kate Bush - Aerial
Velvet Revolver - Contraband
Neil Young - Living With War
David Bowie - Heathen

But this is a poll primarily voted for by a particular demographic who probably wouldn't have even heard of most of those albums. I'm still glad to see Invincible getting some respect. It got a lot of unfair reviews when it was released, but when you have a back catalogue as strong as MJ's, it's like building a rod for your own back. No artist could keep up that level of quality control.

SEE HOW POWERFUL WE ARE????

NO ONE CAN BREAK US, CAUSE WE'RE UNBREAKABLE!

Amazing news! Amazing!

This album was some of his best work i love the entire thing. It was and still is completely underated.

Did you look at that list. Britney Spears is in there twice and Adam Lambert???????????

Wow. Do we even want MJ on that list?????????

I hated Invincible. The chart is a joke, really. Taylor Swift has 2 albums in the top 5? Britney has two albums in the top 10? No Alicia Keys/John Legend/Kanye/Outcast/Santana/Beyonce etc.

Invincible definitely WASN'T the best album of the last ten years.

There's only two sole compositions on there. Unlike, say, the Bad album where he composed almost the complete album by himself. I wouldn't say his work with Rodney Jerkins was better - by any stretch of the imagination - than his work with Quincy.

It's a weak album by anyone's standards. But by a creative genius like Michael Jackson? It's a mess.

I remember waiting the day Invincible came out to buy it, i was so excited, i remember it like it is today , it was an event, it was the fisrt MJ album i was buying beeing an actual fan, i had other MJ albums, i was becoming a fan, Invincible was the one i had the chance to wait for :D

There's only two sole compositions on there. Unlike, say, the Bad album where he composed almost the complete album by himself. I wouldn't say his work with Rodney Jerkins was better - by any stretch of the imagination - than his work with Quincy.

It's a weak album by anyone's standards. But by a creative genius like Michael Jackson? It's a mess.

Whilst Invincible isn't without merit (Michael could sing the phone book and sound amazing), it is indeed a sub-par album by his own standards.

It is definately not deserving of "album of the decade", but when you look at what else was voted for, it's obviously better than the competition.

the album didn't get a lot of publicity. so these voters have to have known about the album in the past. or they would have drowned it out in a sea of Thriller Bad and maybe Dangerous and Number 1's.
Except Thriller, Bad, and Dangerous weren't albums of 2000s, & Number Ones is not even considered a MJ album.

my favorite songs from this album: :wild:

Superb!:

You Rock My World
Invincible
2000 Watts
Butterflies
Whatever Happens feat. Carlos Santana
Threatened

Honorable mentions:
Unbreakable
Break of Dawn

Whilst Invincible isn't without merit (Michael could sing the phone book and sound amazing), it is indeed a sub-par album by his own standards.

It is definately not deserving of "album of the decade", but when you look at what else was voted for, it's obviously better than the competition.

Invincible has rare moments of brilliance - the bridges in Heartbreaker and Invincible, Don't Walk Away, the swirling backing vocals of The Lost Children - but it's an otherwise weak Michael Jackson album.

Usually I'd agree with you regarding Michael's vocals but even those were strained, for the most part, on Invincible. I'm thinking of the ad libs on Break of Dawn and Whatever Happens, for example, in which he sounds like he's got a gob-stopper in his mouth - 'don't you let go baby... Can I get a witness baby...'

As much as I love Dont Walk Away, even on that his voice isn't what it once was. Compare his vocals on that to, say, Someone In The Dark. He's got a rasp to his voice that he didn't have on any other album. There's obviously been some damage to it - either tour related or not.

I agree with one of the other posters though - it's definitely the best album of that particular top 10. Which, in itself, was a joke. Taylor Swift?!? Incredible.

His vocals on Heaven Can Wait and Speechless are superb and they are both excellent songs. The Lost Children is sincere and is one of the few tracks where Michael actually sounds engaged.

YRMW is a decent up-tempo, and like you said, the middle-eight of Heartbreaker is awesome (shame about the rest of the song though).

But songs like Cry, Privacy, 2000 Watts and Don't Walk Away are just plain filler and wouldn't have even been considered for inclusion on his other albums. They sound corny and like something you would expect to hear on a N Sync album. They are devoid of passion and MJ doesn't sound particularly interested or engaged with this material.

The main thing that bugs me with Invincible is, where are the good up-tempo numbers??? You just can't compare songs like Heartbreaker and Invincible to stuff like In The Closet, TDCAU, Jam, Tabloid Junkie, Dangerous etc. Threatened is sort of fun in it's own way, but most of the up-tempos on Invincible lack any decent hook.

I remember hearing a clip of the middle-eight of Heartbreaker online before the album was released and I was so excited. It sounded so passionate and the vocals were awesome. Imagine my disappointment when I heard the rest of the song, which just meanders on for an excruciating six minutes with Rodney Jerkins sounding as if he's masturbating with a games console at the end.

I think someone must've been smoking the ganja the day they decided to include Cry over the brilliant We've Had Enough. The inclusion of that song alone would've totally changed my perceiption of the album.

But songs like Cry, Privacy, 2000 Watts and Don't Walk Away are just plain filler and wouldn't have even been considered for inclusion on his other albums. They sound corny and like something you would expect to hear on a N Sync album. They are devoid of passion and MJ doesn't sound particularly interested or engaged with this material.

The reason I love Dont Walk Away is that there is a sweet profundity about hearing Michael Jackson singing 'Why... Have all my dreams been broken? I don't know where we're going...' Him singing those lyrics at that moment in time are enough to give me goosebumps. What must he been thinking about when he was in the studio singing those lyrics?!? Amazing.

:bugeyedThis is too tight man!!! I luv it!!! Invinceble was one of my favorite album by MJ!! When I first heard You Rock My World on the radio, it felt unreal lol. Then my Auntie bought me the Invinceble album, and when I first heard Unbreakable!!! Man I was shock like I was hearin'Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, HIStory, & BOTDF!! It was great times back then!! I miss those days!

:yes:

I beg to differ on the previous post. here's my take and is my personal opinion on Invincible album.

I'm gaga over the album because of Michael's raspy/gritty voice. I don't think his raspy voice was due to the tours well it could be a contributing factor but I do personally think it's because he aged. His gritty voice is already evident during the Dangerous era and is heard on the HIStory album and obvious during the HIStory tour.

I say 'not damaged due to tour' because Michael can still hit falsetto notes flawlessly & smoothly (Human Nature TII) and also can be heard on the Invincible album (Break of Dawn, Butterflies, Speechless and Unbreakable(bridge))

as an Invincible/00s era fan I do find similarities between Dangerous & Invincible ( Dangerous is my fave album that's why Invincible is second on my list coz' of this 'similarity') both had the same flow/approach both albums had 'upbeat tempo songs' both album had ballads. almost similar raspy/gritty voice on the 1st part of the album and smooth vocals on ballads (Will You Be There, Gone To Soon, BOD,Butterflies, Speechless, You Are My Life....)

lyrics-wise both had the same approach too ;) oh yes there's an ITC repeat on Invincible album lol and yes i do think the "genius" is still there in the Invincible album, I have a lot of fun with all the subliminal messages on each song esp 2000watts. Heartbreaker for instance is like the upbeat version of Dangerous (lyrics-wise--same ol' story)I did say ITC repeat (2000watts up-beat version & Break of Down toned down version lol )Will You Be There/Heal The World - You Are My Life & Lost Children songs are most deff written by Michael lol

Whatever Happens & Don't Walk Away are phenomenal tracks it's like "Who Is It" same 'dark-sadness-longing' feel to it.

I don't consider 2000watts a filler when I 1st listened to Invincible album 2000watts was a standout track(I'm serious). Actually all MJ albums(for me) has no fillers, I have no 'skipper' track on any MJ album. one of my fave track is Privacy seriously talk about 'grit' love his voice !

Invincible songs have more deeper, heavier weight and talk about attitude and swagger ("When I know that I could be more than you could ever dream"~Invincbile

Invincible is a great album. It was way ahead of it's time. When it dropped in 2001, pop music was way different compared to the sounds of Invincible. I think it's a brilliant album in general. Every song is fantastic and it really allowed us to hear MJ's ballad abilities. Without a doubt this album deserves way more credit then it got.

2000 Watts is absolutely atrocious. Sounds like a poor man's NSYNC. Sounds very similar to their 'Bye Bye Bye'. Horrid. In my opinion.

I'd waited six years for a new MJ album just to hear him put a hodge-podge album together. I can't explain how let down I felt. Starting from the radio premiere of YRMW. The DJ kept building the song up - 'It's Michael returning to the soulful sounds of Off The Wall' - and then the beats kicked in. Synthesized drums... Michael namechecking 'Darkchild' (absolutely horrible to hear the greatest entertainer of all time reduced to that)... And then the synthesized strings kicked in! Hated all of it. Why couldn't they use a REAL strings section?!?Unbelievable!

And then I saw the video...

2000 Watts is absolutely atrocious. Sounds like a poor man's NSYNC. Sounds very similar to their 'Bye Bye Bye'. Horrid. In my opinion.

I'd waited six years for a new MJ album just to hear him put a hodge-podge album together. I can't explain how let down I felt. Starting from the radio premiere of YRMW. The DJ kept building the song up - 'It's Michael returning to the soulful sounds of Off The Wall' - and then the beats kicked in. Synthesized drums... Michael namechecking 'Darkchild' (absolutely horrible to hear the greatest entertainer of all time reduced to that)... And then the synthesized strings kicked in! Hated all of it. Why couldn't they use a REAL strings section?!?Unbelievable!

And then I saw the video...

I'm sorry you felt that way. I disagree with your opinion on 2000 Watts. That song is actually one my my favorites on the album. It is unique and very futuristic, and showcases the unique ability of MJ's vocals (Many non MJ fans would never know that it's Michael Jackson singing). I like You Rock My World, but prefer Unbreakable. Invincible is jam packed with tons of great songs that were much more modern than pop music at the time. It was an essential move in my opinion. He couldn't have continued making HIStory and Dangerous style songs as the times were changing.

Back