Janet’s Rock Witchu Tour [All threads merged]

Sheesh. I heard the tour is possibly ending from NYC from now on, hopefully it's not true and there is some re-scheduling pending. Or peeps who bought tickets from those dates r gonna be pissed.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Rock Witchu Tour comes to a possible close last night in NYC

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Janet performed last night at New York City's Madison Square Garden, wrapping up the first - and possibly only - leg of the Rock Witchu Tour.

The setlist was identical to the regular set of songs, and there were no special guests.

There are no more concerts currently scheduled for the Rock Witchu Tour. Janet did not give any indication from the stage last night whether any more dates would be added or if this was the last show of the tour.

There are still six postponed concerts from last month that are waiting to be rescheduled. It is unclear what is happening with these dates.

source: JX

Re: Janet’s Rock Witchu Tour [All threads merged]

yeah but wasnt one of the shows that was canncelled one that had been postponed from when she was ill? so i mean that 99% of sales would have been done b4 the show was cancelled because joe bloggs was expecting to see janet on a certain date. not to see her 1 or 2 months later.so if sales were that bad you would have thought it would have been cancelled before it was orignally postponed because you wouldnt expect to sell many if any at all tickets inbetween the cancelled and re-arranged date that has now been pulled altogether. if that makes sese LOL.

i think one of janets probs is the amount of female stars on the scene. for many years there wasnt really any bar janet mariah madonna and dion. they were the big ones and there were others but they werent what i would call mainstream. now theres loads such as rihanna etc that as you said are younger and having the sucessful songs given to them that janet had 10-15 years ago. and because she doesnt have a big solid fan base ppl have moved on to other artists which is obviously gonna effect her.then when you add on her lack of decent material and label issues she is gonna struggle until she can record songs like she used to and have the backing of a label behind her

Yeah, very true. She's just having a world of trouble with her career.

And yikes if it's true that it's ending after this latest show. She hasn't been out very long at all. Now I feel really bad for her. I'm not sure what she can do at this point to jump start her career.

:(

I hope she could continue the tour... there are many people who would like to see her..

All the best for Janet and her tour.

33% attendance in Detroit? sheesh.

I saw her in Kansas City, and it was the best show of my life. Yet the arena definitely wasn't full. In fact, if we wanted to, we could've moved to lower seats once the show started, because no one was there.

She just should recognize that it's probably time for smaller venues and less of a production, as much as I'd hate to see it scale down. :(

New York Times Review Of Tour

04 Nov 2008

Jon Pareles of The New York Times gave a review of Janet's Rock Witchu Tour and this is what he had to say.

Janet Jackson has had a rough year. Her current album, “Discipline,” arrived in February to such disappointing sales that in September, with fewer than a half-million copies sold, she ended her contract with the label, Island Def Jam, leaving her independent. So there was an extra edge during her Madison Square Garden show on Saturday when she shouted, at the end of her song “Control”: “I’m on my own, and I’ll call my own shots!”

Her first tour in seven years started shakily this fall, with shows suddenly canceled or postponed. Her spokesman said that Ms. Jackson, 42, suffered from vestibular migraines that could cause dizziness — a problem for a performer who, in concert, is more a dancer than a singer. The tour’s original opening act, LL Cool J, dropped off the bill.

Yet none of that weighed down Ms. Jackson’s Garden show, which had been postponed from Oct. 16. She strutted through a full-tilt arena spectacle like those she has mounted since her multimillion-selling days in the 1980s and ’90s, with dancers, video screens, pyrotechnics and lip-synching. (How much Ms. Jackson was actually singing during the concert is open to conjecture. Except for stage patter, her voice was rarely fully exposed as she shared lead vocals with recorded tracks.) But the foundation for all that razzle-dazzle was one of the most durable catalogs of hits from the music-video era, and plenty of them. Ms. Jackson’s set list had three dozen songs, and all but the oldest and most recent ones triggered immediate singalongs.

Her constant subject is longing: for sex both tender and kinky but also for companionship and devotion. To pack all those songs into just over two hours onstage, she turned them into medleys, grouped by musical style.

There were minisets of keyboard-driven funk like “Nasty,” of creamy ballads like “Again,” of upbeat pop like “Escapade,” of hip-hop-tinged R&B like “Got Til It’s Gone” (with Q-Tip rapping on the video screen) and of guitar-driven rock like “Black Cat.” She had a costume for each one and endless variations of her familiar angular stop-and-start dance moves; the men in her troupe spun through gymnastics or groveled at her feet.

With her hair pointing skyward in a faux-Mohawk, Ms. Jackson appeared in futuristic sparkles, in a skintight red formal dress, in a maroon bodysuit with glittery epaulets and in quasi-dominatrix lingerie. Her long set piece was the title song of “Discipline.” A man taken from the audience was suspended in a leather harness above a supine Ms. Jackson, who groped between his legs in video close-ups. At the end he babbled about his love for Ms. Jackson into a convenient microphone.

Ms. Jackson also reclaimed the pop she made as a teenager, before she became her own producer, with a medley from her 1982 debut album, “Janet Jackson.” Now they sound like the beginning of a style that would merge her brother Michael Jackson’s melodic choruses with the synthesized Minneapolis funk of Mr. Jackson’s 1980s rival, Prince. That fusion helped shape Britney Spears, Beyoncé, the Pussycat Dolls and much other current pop-R&B.

Ms. Jackson is the kind of performer who made the most of pop’s blockbuster era. She has always relied on every enhancement of the old star system. She hired skillful collaborators, catalyzing the best work from her longtime producers and songwriting partners, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. (Recent songs, without them, have lacked for melody.) Studio techniques polished her modest coo of a voice, and videos and photo sessions disseminated her combination of girlish smiles and sultry teases. High-gloss pop is her rightful medium, and it could well be endangered by the new austerities of the recording business and the world economy. But in all their artificial splendor, her old songs still gleam.

source: janet-online

her last concerts in europe were supposedly pulled because of low ticket sales so tbh i cant see her doing much better especially with her having vertually no success at all with her album. she will prob get deprived mj fans attending and those who wanna see her cause she is a jackson but thats about it. unless tickets were really cheap of course that would help them sell. but whos gonna pay for the cost of taking shows overseas

All postponed Rock Witchu tour dates officially cancelled

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Janet's representatives officially announced today that they will not reschedule any of the remaining postponed dates of the Rock Witchu Tour.

The announcement states that the concerts are not being rescheduled "due to conflicts in the singer's schedule."

The concerts that have been cancelled are:

- Montreal (Originally scheduled for Sept. 29)
- Boston (Originally scheduled for Oct. 1)
- Philadelphia (Originally scheduled for Oct. 2)
- Greensboro (Originally scheduled for Oct. 4)
- Ft. Lauderdale (Originally scheduled for Oct. 7)
- Uncasville (Originally scheduled for Oct. 11)
- Verona (Originally scheduled for Oct. 13)

Refunds for all of the shows are available at the point of purchase. If tickets were purchased through the fan club, they will be automatically refunded.

There currently are no scheduled dates remaining for the Rock Witchu Tour. There has been no official announcement about whether the tour is officially over or if more dates will be added in the future.

source: JX

Nnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

It sucks that she's having all these problems because more and more i'm seeing alot of fans use her problems as an argument to say MJ will have it rough when he returns. I don't get that because it's always been obvious that they have different fanbases.

^^ that's a silly comparison to make. Michael's fan base is extremely loyal and strong and he's an exceptional talent, meaning that people know he offers something unique and which no one else can. Janet really can't and she's more of a polished pop act then an artist. I feel bad for her, but she would likely do even worse in europe, considering how badly her last album did. Janet's last album which was successful "All For You" sold less then "Invincible", and "Invincible" was Michael's least promoted, least successful album. So there's really no comparison.

elusive, she didn't tour in europe w/ AFY b/cof 9/11 and the insurance company wouldn't have covered her to go over there.

and nicole, i went to the afy concerts and they were damn near sold out.

Well okay. But she's having trouble now, that's what I'm referencing. I was talking about album sales, really. I thought she would do good out on the road. It sucks she's having so much trouble.

Let's not compare MJ and Janet's fan bases. What Janet is going through is sad, period.

I think the reason for all of this is that there are just too many female singers out there. Period. At one time, the main female singers were Janet, Whitney, Mariah, Madonna and Celine. Now, it is all kinds of female singers aiming at the same type of audience. Now, I do not know why, it seems, Janet's fans are not going to her concerts or there is something seriously wrong with how the tour is being managed.

Janet's representatives officially announced today that they will not reschedule any of the remaining postponed dates of the Rock Witchu Tour

I read this on Access Hollywood. It is a damn shame. Janet does great tours so what is going on?

Did anyone see this:

http://www.gyantscoop.com/2008/11/is_t-boz_having.html

Now, the article is blah, but check out the video.

bee, the problem is that people can't afford to go. when gas went up, everything else did, too. they raised minimum wage and then raised the price of food etc....so it's like no one can ever catch up.

and in this crisis, paying $100+ to see someone sing for two hrs is a bit much for some people. and cuz discipline wasn't really promoted well, people didn't bother.

hell, i got the album the day it came out and i still only know a few songs....luv, feedback, the one w/ missy elliiot, and rock withu... cdfu

The ROCKWITCH Show in Dallas was my first time seeing a Janet Jackson concert. I was NOT DISAPPOINTED. I feel so for those who didnt get to see Janet Jackson esp. if theyve never seen her b4. That show was off the hook for nearly 3 hours i sung and danced and new every lyrics to EVER song Janet performed. Ive been a janet fan since i was a lil kid. Imma say since about 1986. Over the years i kinda didnt follow her as i did as a kid but, i still remained a fan. After seeing this show i love Janet Jackson sooooooooooooo much, way more than ever. This concert was one of the best ive ever been to. ONly the Michael Jackson concerts top it and in my opinion not by that far. Wow the Jacksons sure know how to get to me. Im still on cloud 9 since the October 22nd show.

I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH THE PEOPLE HERE ON JANETS TALENTS. I KNOW TALENT WHEN I SEE IT, AND JANET HAS IT. Ah and the poor ticket sales thing. I dunno about other shows but the Dallas show was damn near sold out at American Airline Center. Actually it was prolly sold out. I seen alot of tickets on ebay. All the tickets were brought wheather it was by scalpers or people trying to get a huge profit on ebay or other sites. Either way janet got paid. Thats like saying me and Darvon buying all 18,000 tickets for her show at American Airline Center in Dallas. Then, try to sell them on ebay and other sites for higher prices, but we dont sell em. Finally we get to the show and only Darvon and us are there. Does Janet care if the shows empty? No, why? Because all the tickets have been sold thats me and Darvons problem if we couldnt sell them.

prob is, scalpers were able to get 'fan club' seating and were selling those but u had damn near empty areanas....people in the nose bleed seats and for what? it's not like it was packed

elusive, she didn't tour in europe w/ AFY b/cof 9/11 and the insurance company wouldn't have covered her to go over there
well from what i remember she cancelled concerts in europe claiming to being scared after 9/11 but straight after flew to concerts in japan that had sold well when the euro concerts hadnt. so most thought it was just a cop out.anyone can get travel insurance. ppl didnt stop travelling after 9/11

I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH THE PEOPLE HERE ON JANETS TALENTS

I agree. I do not see how her talents had anything to do with the thread to begin with. It is not the reason for why, if the information is legit, her tours aren't selling. There are "hot singers" that steal other people's work. Janet doesn't do any of that.

My issue is the information - I tend to question the information that I read about Janet's tours not selling out. Madonna gets sold out tours and to me, she cannot put on a show wiorth entertaining. However, Janet can put on a show and the media is reporting that the tour isn't selling. What is up with that?

I agree. I do not see how her talents had anything to do with the thread to begin with. It is not the reason for why, if the information is legit, her tours aren't selling. There are "hot singers" that steal other people's work. Janet doesn't do any of that.

My issue is the information - I tend to question the information that I read about Janet's tours not selling out. Madonna gets sold out tours and to me, she cannot put on a show wiorth entertaining. However, Janet can put on a show and the media is reporting that the tour isn't selling. What is up with that?
girl i was on perez and apparently the show did sell well so now no one knows why she ain't doing the resechduled dates....

and i love me some janet.

elusive, i was so nervous after the attacks and i thought she'd scrap the tour all together. apparently it was more of a risk to go to europe than to japan

AND AND AND jan wasn't the only one who scrapped overseas plans. i think destiny's child did also as well as a few other acts.

The ROCKWITCH Show in Dallas was my first time seeing a Janet Jackson concert. I was NOT DISAPPOINTED. I feel so for those who didnt get to see Janet Jackson esp. if theyve never seen her b4. That show was off the hook for nearly 3 hours i sung and danced and new every lyrics to EVER song Janet performed. Ive been a janet fan since i was a lil kid. Imma say since about 1986. Over the years i kinda didnt follow her as i did as a kid but, i still remained a fan. After seeing this show i love Janet Jackson sooooooooooooo much, way more than ever. This concert was one of the best ive ever been to. ONly the Michael Jackson concerts top it and in my opinion not by that far. Wow the Jacksons sure know how to get to me. Im still on cloud 9 since the October 22nd show.
Thanks for sharing. I expect it to be really great. Chris Tucker and Darkchild talked about how high the level of both (Janet and Michael) is. And they are so right by saying something is different in their bloodlines (or water or milk they drunk).
I'm so spoilt because of the Jacksons - I went to the Lord of the Dance show two evenings ago and I was so disappointed, I paid a lot of money for it, but they couldn't satisfy me.

It sucks that she's having all these problems because more and more i'm seeing alot of fans use her problems as an argument to say MJ will have it rough when he returns. I don't get that because it's always been obvious that they have different fanbases.

I believe Michael will have it rough, really rough. Not economical, he will sell very well - album and tickets - but that does not mean, that the media does concentrate on this. I expect them to not mention his success so that people must think he is a sucker and then it will affect the sales.
If the media does HYPE something (someone) that's not interesting they can make it a huge success. If they decide to not promote you, it's difficult (like with Janet, she does so much work and has less success, some have nothing to promote, and sell well cause the media does it for them). If they just mention someone all the time on tv it pushes the sales. Same with movies - they hype a film and force it to become a success.

Just an example: They obviously had nothing to talk about yesterday so they showed Michael and the (faked)noseless "double" on TV, ONLY to make fun of his appearance and claimed that no-one would want to touch Michael cause he has mycose on his nails. They won't stop, won't change (until he starts sue them) - they even constantly do invent only more and more bad stuff. But they refuse to talk about all his work and projects.
And because of that Janet and Michael do really have such a hard time. I just hope Janet is not going mad about it. I'm sorry for her cause she dedicated her whole life to the limelight and hadn't dared to have / raise children. What did she get for it? Who thanked her?

Back