Johnny Depp Wants to Play Michael Jackson in a Movie

Excuse me, but has no one noticed these lines???? "But there is still time to play him. He might get up to his old tricks again and maybe there will be a TV movie about him!"
:puke:

Yup, but those has nothing to do with Michael, if that is what you were thinking about. He meant Willy Wonka by those lines.

Last edited:
he would be the best to play Michael..... ( I feel they both have sth in common.... they are both somewhat similar.... can't explain it but this is how I feel)

and maybe subconsciously he based his SWEET Willy Wonka on Michael (and his LOVELY Edward a long time ago as well) .... who knows?
I loooooove the films btw :D

sorry to burst ur bubble but here are articles that tell whom JD based his Wonka character:
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/3502.html

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
However, Johnny Depp, who plays Willy Wonka, believes that his portrayal is based on Howard Hughes, an eccentric billionaire rather than Michael Jackson, the eccentric pop star.

[/FONT]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367594/trivia

Johnny Depp used game show hosts as well as children television hosts, such as "Mr. Rogers", as his inspiration for his performance as Willy Wonka. He also said in interviews that Willy Wonka would be "part Howard Hughes-reclusive, part 1970s glamorous rock star"

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

sorry to burst ur bubble but here are articles that tell whom JD based his Wonka character:
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/3502.html

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
However, Johnny Depp, who plays Willy Wonka, believes that his portrayal is based on Howard Hughes, an eccentric billionaire rather than Michael Jackson, the eccentric pop star.

[/FONT]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367594/trivia

Johnny Depp used game show hosts as well as children television hosts, such as "Mr. Rogers", as his inspiration for his performance as Willy Wonka. He also said in interviews that Willy Wonka would be "part Howard Hughes-reclusive, part 1970s glamorous rock star"
OK....

it was just my opinion.... I still love the films:p

That doesn't mean to be a story of Michael's life! LOL

USE YOUR IMAGINATION!

Something with Michael - can be just one day, or hour, a dream or an experience of some kind.... I mean you can use a lot of concepts when doing a movie, not just base that on the life stream and realistic happenings, even if we're dealing here with portraying a personality.

So I think Johnny Depp is very fit for a movie based on a CONCEPT, but not a biographical movie.

Last edited:
^ :rofl: ChiChi :lol:

.... well if that's the case... someone should tell Cate Blanchett to sit back down and not accept all them Golden globe and other award nominations for her recent portrayal of Bob Dylan.... I mean come on... she's a woman playing a man!! at the end of the day brilliant actors make you forget who you're watching anyway ;) they used a handful of people to play Bob Dylan in different stages in his life... what's to stop them from using Johnny Depp for one stage of MJ's life? if they were to film his life story? :brow:

sounds like a lot of drama in here for nothing :rofl:
It isn't an issue of acting, it is an issue of RACE relations. A community of people who feel that they are oppressed bv the system and all their 'good men' havebeen maligned or degraded, and then there is Michael jackson, their biggest celeb, who has the misfortune to now look white when he is really black, many feel deeply betrayed that their guy, who they love very much, hardly look like them anymore, now to add insult to injury, a white man is to play him. It is not just about acting. It is about black pride. There would be an outcry. And yes, Al sharpton would be leading the pack.:lol:

Last edited:
Well Michael was gonna play Edgar Allen Poe, remember? He's a black man and he was going to play a white man. I don't recall many people making such a big deal out of that. Of coure, it never happened, but its the same situation, no different.

Wouldn't that just be great to see Michael playing Edgar Alan Poe! I'd love to see him play a really serious character part like that.

But I imagine that Johnny Depp would do a good job playing Michael--not that I want to see a movie made about Michael's life right now. He still has so much of it to live and I'd rather enjoy the real thing in an on-going sense, if ya know what I mean...

It isn't an issue of acting, it is an issue of RACE relations. A community of people who feel that they are oppressed bv the system and all their 'good men' havebeen maligned or degraded, and then there is Michael jackson, their biggest celeb, who has the misfortune to now look white when he is really black, many feel deeply betrayed that their guy, who they love very much, hardly look like them anymore, now to add insult to injury, a white man is to play him. It is not just about acting. It is about black pride. There would be an outcry. And yes, Al sharpton would be leading the pack.:lol:

yes i understand the backlash.

But I'm saying that I personally would not feel that way if johnny were to play MJ...which will probably never ever happen. (only in my dreams LOL)

I think instead of a movie, someone should just put up the money to produce a feature length, all-encompassing (or as much as possible anyways!) documentary about Michael Jackson's life. Featuring rare footage, interviews, music, etc. Something so carefully done with respect to Michael and his family, yet intriguing and unlike the run-of-the-mill documentaries done usually for celebrities. Such a documentary is the only thing that could do MJ's life justice. I'm thinking of something so awesome it would have to be released in theaters.

If I ever become a filmmaker (yea right), this would be my dream project.

Last edited:
I personally love both mens' work so if JD played MJ, it won't bother me. As for the race issue well I will discuss that if/when it happens.:yes:

If people are that uptight about their race, then in my view, they're only promoting racism by making it the central aspect of who they are. This ain't gonna happen, so its a silly conversation anyway. But Michael has never had anything to do with any movies made about his life except that Jackson's movie, because that was family made and he just gave his concent for his image to be portrayed, nothing else, and he wouldn't have anything to do with this one if it were a reality, I'm sure. So the black community could lose their minds over it, but in the end, Michael would have no direct connection and so they couldn't lay anything on him. If they don't know by now that Michael sufferes from a skin disorder, its because they choose to be ignorant. Deep down, they know.

Last edited:
"But there is still time to play him. He might get up to his old tricks again and maybe there will be a TV movie about him!"

Uhm....what does that mean exactly.....?

Yup, but those has nothing to do with Michael, if that is what you were thinking about. He meant Willy Wonka by those lines.

but how could willly wonka be up to old tricks in the future if he's dead? i guess an inside joke or somn...really don't understand, and wish someone would enlighten me...

if it's about MJ..well...many want to be in Mj's position, so....not sweatin the small stuff....although if many are thinking of mJ with those lines....where there's smoke...but..hey...whatever...

Last edited:
If people are that uptight about their race, then in my view, they're only promoting racism by making it the central aspect of who they are. This ain't gonna happen, so its a silly conversation anyway. But Michael has never had anything to do with any movies made about his life except that Jackson's movie, because that was family made and he just gave his concent for his image to be portrayed, nothing else, and he wouldn't have anything to do with this one if it were a reality, I'm sure. So the black community could lose their minds over it, but in the end, Michael would have no direct connection and so they couldn't lay anything on him. If they don't know by now that Michael sufferes from a skin disorder, its because they choose to be ignorant. Deep down, they know.

people aren't uptight abot their race, they just don't like being treated differently for who they are, and in turn, they don't want someone of their race being portrayed by someone of another race, cause it makes it seem like they couldnt find ANYone of their race that was good enough to play the part, and also it's false representation. The "black community", i would assume, would have a problem with whoever's idea it was, Hollywood or whoever...

honestly, you can't really speak on the race issue unless you know how it feels to be treated differently (even nowadays) because of your race. It's easy to blow it off if you never experienced it.

Last edited:
but how could willly wonka be up to old tricks in the future if he's dead? i guess an inside joke or somn...really don't understand, and wish someone would enlighten me...

if it's about MJ..well...many want to be in Mj's position, so....not sweatin the small stuff....although if many are thinking of mJ with those lines....where there's smoke...but..hey...whatever...

Willy Wonka isnt dead...lol

Basically its a pun to hint at a continuation of the WIlly Wonka story.

people aren't uptight abot their race, they just don't like being treated differently for who they are, and in turn, they don't want someone of their race portrayed to be someone of another race, cause it makes it seem like they couldnt find ANYone of their race that was good enough to play the part, and also it's false representation. The "black community", i would assume, would have a problem with whoever's idea it was, Hollywood or whoever...

honestly, you can't really speak on the race issue unless you know how it feels to be treated differently (even nowadays) because of your race. It's easy to blow it off if you never experienced it.

But it wouldnt be someone of ...well MY race being portrayed as another race.

It'll be JD, if this were to happen, PORTRAYING a black man with vitiligo. No hes not black and he doesnt have Vitiligo, but thats what he would be PORTRAYING, and thats what he'd being ACTING like.

But it wouldnt be someone of ...well MY race being portrayed as another race.

It'll be JD, if this were to happen, PORTRAYING a black man with vitiligo. No hes not black and he doesnt have Vitiligo, but thats what he would be PORTRAYING, and thats what he'd being ACTING like.

wow.....thanks, but I guess I mis-typed, I meant someone of their race being PLAYED BY someone of another race........

guess i'll go back and change it....

Last edited:
Well like J5Master said, it's acting and it would be a white man pretending to be a black man. Ever seen "Black Like You"? That was a white man pretending to be a black man to see what it's like. So, I'm just saying. It isn't easy to turn dark skin pigmentless, even with today's make up, and it would be easier with a white actor. I'm not saying a white actor should portray Michael. I don't really want any film made about Michael. I'm just saying, it wouldn't be done as an insult to the black community, it would be done for realism and convienience purposes, turning already light skin white is simply more achieveable. Kind of like Peter Pan is usually portrayed by a woman, because women are more similar to little boys, in terms of features and voice, then men are.

Last edited:
Well like J5Master said, it's acting and it would be a white man pretending to be a black man. Ever seen "Black Like You"? That was a white man pretending to be a black man to see what it's like. So, I'm just saying. It isn't easy to turn dark skin pigmentless, even with today's make up, and it would be easier with a white actor. I'm not saying a white actor should portray Michael. I don't really want any film made about Michael. I'm just saying, it wouldn't be done as an insult to the black community, it would be done for realism purposes, turning already light skin white is simply more achieveable. Kind of like Peter Pan is usually portrayed by a woman, because woman are more similar to little boys, in terms of features and voice, then men are.

actually, a black man did portray a white man in a movie once..may have been fiction but the idea went out, and it was a hit...have u ever heard of 'trading places' with eddie murphy? his buddy actor was white, and their characters traded places.. i guess, if an actor is truly successful, and embraced...he or she can do anything....what about 'white chicks' with the wayans bros.?

actually, i'm not directing this at u, wannabestartinsomethin 21...i just was reminded of what i'm saying, by ur post..and it's really aimed at anyone who thinks the experiment wasn't done both ways...

Last edited:
Yeah, but "White Chicks" looked messed up, lol. I'm just saying that, make up would be easier on a white person. Remember what Flex Alexander looked like? Grey anyone? Anyway, it's not impossible, I wasn't saying that, I just meant that it would be more difficult and it would take less time, money and effort to make a white man pigmentless, as Michael is. Trading places doesn't really count. They just fired Dan Ackroid and hired Eddie in his place, lol.

Well like J5Master said, it's acting and it would be a white man pretending to be a black man. Ever seen "Black Like You"? That was a white man pretending to be a black man to see what it's like. So, I'm just saying. It isn't easy to turn dark skin pigmentless, even with today's make up, and it would be easier with a white actor. I'm not saying a white actor should portray Michael. I don't really want any film made about Michael. I'm just saying, it wouldn't be done as an insult to the black community, it would be done for realism and convienience purposes, turning already light skin white is simply more achieveable. Kind of like Peter Pan is usually portrayed by a woman, because woman are more similar to little boys, in terms of features and voice, then men are.

never saw "black like you" but i looked it up and didnt find anything but a book by the same title, so i can't really speak on the movie. But if you say it's about a white man pretending to be black, then that sounds like an experiment, not someone playing an actual person. That would be Johnny dressing up as Michael to see what it is like to be black.

AND, there are LOADS of light-skinned black people who could play the role, I have some friends who are really light (lol), and with a little makeup, voila!

honestly, idk, evryone has their own opinions on the matter...

why have anyone play MJ??? They'll all mess it up anyway- i looooove 'the american dream', but people's wrong ideas would get in the way of making a new movie! How about MJ write another book?! That would be gooooood!!!!! or a REAL documentary??

Last edited:
You could get a light skinned black person to play him too. I'm just saying, lighter skin equels easier make up job. That was my point. I don't think it would be done as an insult to blacks, I think it would be done out of convienence and I think any black person taking issue with it is being a little too uptight and ready to scream racism or race hatred at every turn. I brought up "Black Like You" simply to make the point that whites can play blacks, blacks can play whites, and it isn't done as an insult to either race, but for other reasons outside of that, whether that be to portray the person's features and looks or to experience what it means to be in that position, etc...

Last edited:
never saw "black like you" but i looked it up and didnt find anything but a book by the same title, so i can't really speak on the movie. But if you say it's about a white man pretending to be black, then that sounds like an experiment, not someone playing an actual person. That would be Johnny dressing up as Michael to see what it is like to be black.

AND, there are LOADS of light-skinned black people who could play the role, I have some friends who are really light (lol), and with a little makeup, voila!

honestly, idk, evryone has their own opinions on the matter...

why have anyone play MJ??? They'll all mess it up anyway- i looooove 'the american dream', but people's wrong ideas would get in the way of making a new movie! How about MJ write another book?! That would be gooooood!!!!! or a REAL documentary??

Well of COURSE any one besides JD could play mj. but the point is, for a lot of people i think who are JD AND MJ fans, the idea of that happening would be a good entertaining thought. Nothing more , nothing less. It's not like this is actually being planned out our in the works to actually HAPPEN. It's just, you know, I'm a fan of Johnny Depp. I think based on everything I've seen of him, if he were given the opportunity he could play MJ well. Cuz, no offense to impersonators, but JD has some seriously GREAT acting chops IMO. And when he plays a character, I definitely FEEL the character. Like in Finding Neverland, that movie made me cry LOL and so did Edward Scissorhands. And JD does his research when portraying someone. Now, Of course ANYONE else could play MJ....just like ANYONE but MJ could play EAP lol. But I like the idea since I'm a fan of both.

I really think a continuation of The American Dream would be...well a dream come true. :lol: Of MJ's life up til now, a REAL quality movie, done RIGHT...I would LOVE to see something like that. Probably will never happen, but I can dream can't I? LOL

And I'm black myself. I've been treated differently a many instances in my SHORT 20 year old life LOL. So I know what it's like. But if there is a piece of artwork and a white person, with all good intentions wants to portray a black man and IT WORKS VISUALLY, like in MJ's case with the light skin and all, and the white actor, when he acts knows and shows that he is ACTING and PORTRAYING a BLACK PERSON...then I am fine with that. If the finished product is respectful, I have no problem with it. Because there are instances where a black person has portrayed a white person and it WORKED. (MJ's "Ghosts' for example).

BUT...I'm not even saying it HAS to be JD who portrays mj, but this is what this thread is about :lol: And I like JD so I'm entertaining the thought. That's all LOL

so this thread has gotten far. it has reached the race issue. JD is a damn good actor but i don't see a dearth of black actors who can play michael if ever a movie will be made about him. i think it is preposterous to even entertain the thought of JD playing michael! it just stemmed from the fact that a lot of peeps insists that JD had michael in mind when he prepared for the the Wonka character. This was already negated by Johnny Depp.

I love the movie,Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but the incessant comparison of the Wonka character to Michael is disconcerting. At least, for me. Just because the character behaves that way shldnt mean it is similar to michael in any way.

i mean... i can feel a certain degree of offense here. The comparison leaves a bad taste in the mouth ;)

really cuz the character of Willy Wonka IN GENERAL reminds me of MJ. And I don't see whats offensive about the association of Willy and MJ. I mean look at the Ebony pics...:lol: I think MJ would make a great Willy Wonka himself.

yeah i know all about that. And people are gonna draw conclusions all they want about it in order to make MJ out as some creepy, looney, pedo. Of COURSE they'd do that. And of COURSE they'd be offensive about it. But I ain't worried about the critics lol.

Even BEFORE JD played willy wonka, willy wonka as a character reminded me of MJ. And it's not creepy or disturbing to make that comparison even though the critics and talking heads are going to OBVIOUSLY (this goes with out saying) gonna make it seem that way.

Willy Wonka is like Peter Pan...in that he values purity and innocence, imagination, and all that good stuff. Just like Mike lol

And THAT VVVVVV (my siggy) is just plan sexy (top hat, long coat) LOL

Last edited:
i think mr depp could really play a good michael jackson... his willy wonka character was very similar to michael and i think it would be great.

I respect Johnny Depp as an actor but I don't agree that he should play Michael Jackson. Michael is a black man no matter what he looks like and he should be portayed by a black man.

Back