Johnny Depp Wants to Play Michael Jackson in a Movie

Hmm, I don't know. Although, Johnny is said to hate dancing and was a bit iffy when he had to do the singing for Sweeney Todd. I'm not sure. I wouldn't want the movie to be misconstrued as something negative.

But Johnny has proven that he can pull off anything, so if this ever happens I'll be so happy as a MJ fan too. :D Oh and yes, Johnny played guitar at a charity event with his band "The Kids" and they sung to 'I Want You Back'. It was awesome!

their personalities are actually very similar...its part of johnnys appeal to me. I could see them being friends actually if they were 2 meet and chat for a while.

id fully suupport this if and only if he were to truly portray michael after getting to know him closely.

I think Johnny Depp could do it and do it well. Although he is not black, he is an amazing actor that could do almost any role. As long as he doesn't make MJ look perverted, I think it would work well. They do have similar bodies (which is apparent in the recent MJ pics). I do agree though that there are also alot of talented black actors that could do the role as well.

Well one interesting connection between Michael and Johnny is, both were very close friends with Marlon Brando. Brando was Johnny's idol, so to speak, and Michael and Brando, as you all know, we're very close friends. Marlon even left Michael a part of his private island in his will. Two of the only people Marlon Brando wanted to actually speak at his funeral was Michael and Johnny.

Last edited:
Michael Jackson said:
"It does not matter if you are black or white.":)

It very much matters when you're playing a real life role lol. I think it matters when Michael Jackson did in fact have brown skin at very important parts of his life/career, and Johnny Depp doesn't.

It's easier to cast a black man and make him look like post Thriller MJ than it would be to hire a white man and make him look like pre BAD MJ. If they used Johnny Depp, they'd probably be skipping The Jacksons, Off the Wall, and Thriller. And that's pretty lame. Especially for Thriller.

i hope no one plays michael ever in a movie. i would hate to see someone else pretending to be him.

I'm sorry, I found "pretending to be him" a little funny. As opposed to what, actors only playing parts that they really are in real life? Would it somehow hurt your feelings to see someone "posing" as him, because it'd be a "lie"? I don't mean to sound condescending by putting quotes around so many words, but -- okay yes I do. Someone playing Michael Jackson well wouldn't make them Michael Jackson, but it would make them a pretty damn good actor to get it all down correctly.

Last edited:
.... well if that's the case... someone should tell Cate Blanchett to sit back down and not accept all them Golden globe and other award nominations for her recent portrayal of Bob Dylan.... I mean come on... she's a woman playing a man!! at the end of the day brilliant actors make you forget who you're watching anyway ;) they used a handful of people to play Bob Dylan in different stages in his life... what's to stop them from using Johnny Depp for one stage of MJ's life? if they were to film his life story? :brow:

sounds like a lot of drama in here for nothing :rofl:

I'm going to quote this fabulous post by LJ again, because, well, it's fabulous.

What Johnny said was obviously a joke- "and has joked he would be willing to portray the
reclusive star if the opportunity arose."

LJ is right. :yes:

^ Yeah, the whole thing was him fucking around, I'm sure. I'm sort of surprised people didn't jump all over Depp's little joke about MJ "being back up to his old tricks." Maybe they did. I dunno, I didn't feel like reading all 8 pages, when the truth is always in my post, which I totally have read.

Apparently, Johnny Depp was reffering to Willy Wonka when he said "back to his old tricks", the translation was incorrect in the first post. I was gonna put Johnny on my sh*t list until I saw that, lol.

edit............................................................................wrong post

Last edited:
I'm going to quote this fabulous post by LJ again, because, well, it's fabulous.

What Johnny said was obviously a joke- "and has joked he would be willing to portray the
reclusive star if the opportunity arose."

LJ is right. :yes:

:rofl: well one does try to be right :p

^ Yeah, the whole thing was him f##g around, I'm sure. I'm sort of surprised people didn't jump all over Depp's little joke about MJ "being back up to his old tricks." Maybe they did. I dunno, I didn't feel like reading all 8 pages, when the truth is always in my post, which I totally have read.

I answered this already:

The quote was mis quoted in the first article posted.

Johnny Depp is referring to the Willy Wonka character, there was talk a few months ago that there could be a sequel to the "Charlie and the Chocolate factory" film
:yes:

The character of Willy Wonka is in the role of trickster. A little interesting fact: Gene Wilder speaks about the role of Willy Wonka in his autobiography "Kiss me like a stranger" saying that Wonka was to be played as a trickster giving audiences the impression that he always had a hidden agenda behind his outward appearance. So when Gene Wilder played the first scene that we see Wonka in he improvised.
He talks about how the script read that Wonka would walk down the carpet to the children. He suggested to the director that he should play the scene with a walking cane, and that he should limp his way down the carpet until about halfway, where the cane would suddenly get stuck and he would move ahead without the cane before falling forward and somer saulting to the front of the children.
He said right there and then the first impression you have of Wonka is that he is a liar or a trickster, and instantly you're convinced that this character is to be watched as he is probably not entirely truthful.
Of course Wilder's brilliant comic timing made the scene :p

But I digress :innocent:

basically Depp was referring to the very element of Wonka.

Not to Michael :p

Last edited:
It very much matters when you're playing a real life role lol. I think it matters when Michael Jackson did in fact have brown skin at very important parts of his life/career, and Johnny Depp doesn't.

It's easier to cast a black man and make him look like post Thriller MJ than it would be to hire a white man and make him look like pre BAD MJ. If they used Johnny Depp, they'd probably be skipping The Jacksons, Off the Wall, and Thriller. And that's pretty lame. Especially for Thriller.

Its all in how the script is done. They could make the movie centered around bad era on if they so chose.

^ Yes, but that'd be suck. I know it's inconvenient because Johnny Depp isn't black and some of you want him to play MJ, but people will at least want Thriller.

meh i could do without that personally lol.

An AMerican Dream pretty much satisfies that era for me. As well as other things like MJ's moonwalk book and the millions of times MJ told the same stories about the Thriller era, as well as Quincy Jones lol. What would be more interesting to see FOR me is anything AFTER that.

You could do without it, but the movie presumably won't be made for diehard Michael Jackson fans who look at all his stuff and maybe like other albums better than Thriller. It'll be made for the general public, and... it's Thriller. The hypothetical movie shouldn't be altered so it's more suitable for Johnny Depp to play lol. People are going to want at least his whole adult career/trial, if not the entire life story. I'm almost certain that people would generally be disappointed if they didn't at least get some Thriller era MJ. Commercially, that was the pinnacle.

On top of that, I also find the idea of starting the movie after Thriller somewhat odd because when I think of a possible MJ big screen movie, going through the changes would actually be one of the more appealing points. For promotion, they could even release the Thriller and BAD album covers with whoever the actor playing him is. And I don't see a black Johnny Depp with a gherri curl looking anything other than dumb.

All in all, covering more than post-Thriller MJ would make the more intriguing film. I honestly think some of the posters are losing sight of that because they're such ardent Johnny Depp fangirls. It doesn't really matter since Depp was just kidding around, but still.

Remember, Michael chose a white kid to play him in a Pepsi commercial (I'll Be There).

Anyway, it was just a random response to a question, no need to get het up.

Although I will say, I don't care how much he denies it, but I'm convinced he based his Wonka portrayal on Michael (and anyway Gene Wilder was better!).

Remember, Michael chose a white kid to play him in a Pepsi commercial (I'll Be There).

Anyway, it was just a random response to a question, no need to get het up.

Although I will say, I don't care how much he denies it, but I'm convinced he based his Wonka portrayal on Michael (and anyway Gene Wilder was better!).

^ might want to check on that, I remember Michael denying that.

Yes, he did deny it. More specifically, he denied it during the Oprah interview. :yes:

Thanks I seemed to remember him saying that it was crazy for that to have even been thought of ... i know someone will share a direct quote :lol: but yeah couldn't remember where I heard him say it

thanks marni :D

isn't the kid in the commerical not a white child anyway? (or have i got my commercials mixed up? :lol: )

Thanks I seemed to remember him saying that it was crazy for that to have even been thought of ... i know someone will share a direct quote :lol: but yeah couldn't remember where I heard him say it

thanks marni :D

isn't the kid in the commerical not a white child anyway? (or have i got my commercials mixed up? :lol: )

I will! :lol:

Oprah: All right. Just recently, there was a story and I know one of your attorneys held a news conference, there was a story about you wanting a little white child to play you in a Pepsi commercial.

Michael: That is so stupid. That is the most ridiculous, horrifying story I've ever heard. It's crazy. Why, number one, it's my face as a child in the commercial, me when I was little, why would I want a white child to play me? I'm a black American, I am proud to be a black American, I am proud of my race. I am proud of who I am. I have a lot of pride and dignity. That's like you wanting an oriental person to play you as a child. Does that make sense?

Oprah: No.

Michael: So, please people, stop believing these horrifying stories.

I will! :lol:

Oprah: All right. Just recently, there was a story and I know one of your attorneys held a news conference, there was a story about you wanting a little white child to play you in a Pepsi commercial.

Michael: That is so stupid. That is the most ridiculous, horrifying story I've ever heard. It's crazy. Why, number one, it's my face as a child in the commercial, me when I was little, why would I want a white child to play me? I'm a black American, I am proud to be a black American, I am proud of my race. I am proud of who I am. I have a lot of pride and dignity. That's like you wanting an oriental person to play you as a child. Does that make sense?

Oprah: No.

Michael: So, please people, stop believing these horrifying stories.

I remember that, but at the time I took it to mean, it was still a white kid doing the moves but they super-imposed Mike's head onto it. Doesn't matter either way, you're probably right.

I think after the rumour came out, I thought that too, but after re-watching the interview, it's pretty clear to me that he says it's a stupid rumour. :yes:

It doesn't matter anyways, The Johnny Depp thing was just a joke and if it did happen, I wouldn't mind him playing Michael at all.

Last edited:
That wasn't even Michael or Michael's face as a child in the commercial. It was a black kid playing him. Michael never requested to have a white kid play himself.

If Johnny Depp were to play Michael, it wouldn't be Depp portraying Michael as a white man, it would be a white man portraying a black man.

Last edited:
If anyone should ever play Michael, I think Johnny would be the best for it.
I reckon he'd do a great job!
He most certainly would! Depp is a superb actor, and like others sad... characterwise he has a lot in common with Michael. I'd say Depp would be an excellent choice!

As far as the race issue... well, I agree with J5 that this is acting we're talking about... many actors have portrayed either the opposit sex or race in movies, so Depp certainly wouldnt be the first. And if it would be a movie about Mike's life, well there are plenty of black actors who can portray his early days, but I think Depp would be a good choice for the later part of his life.

Having that said, I dont think a movie like that would be a good idea to begin with, and quite frankly.. after the bashit thing I doubt Michael will permit such a thing any time soon.

What many of you are missing here is the point that I made in the first place. Unless this movie was being made for a white audience, and JD fans the movie would not bode well for the general black population, not just in america but abroad as well. Can you imagine a white man playing Ali, I can't. The black people in general would make a big fuss about it regarless, They are proud of MJ and they would want him to be portrayed by a blackman, and they would protest very loudly if it was otherwise, mark my words.

Last edited:
I dont think J Depp can dance or sing like michael either :-|

Well i think when it comes to the oprah thing, he was denying that he WANTED a white boy to play him, like he demanding only a white boy has to play him.

But eh. lol I'll leave it at that.

You could do without it, but the movie presumably won't be made for diehard Michael Jackson fans who look at all his stuff and maybe like other albums better than Thriller. It'll be made for the general public, and... it's Thriller. The hypothetical movie shouldn't be altered so it's more suitable for Johnny Depp to play lol. People are going to want at least his whole adult career/trial, if not the entire life story. I'm almost certain that people would generally be disappointed if they didn't at least get some Thriller era MJ. Commercially, that was the pinnacle.

On top of that, I also find the idea of starting the movie after Thriller somewhat odd because when I think of a possible MJ big screen movie, going through the changes would actually be one of the more appealing points. For promotion, they could even release the Thriller and BAD album covers with whoever the actor playing him is. And I don't see a black Johnny Depp with a gherri curl looking anything other than dumb.

All in all, covering more than post-Thriller MJ would make the more intriguing film. I honestly think some of the posters are losing sight of that because they're such ardent Johnny Depp fangirls. It doesn't really matter since Depp was just kidding around, but still.

Eh i guess i disagree...cuz I'm personally tired of the whole Thriller worship in general so if someone made a movie of all of MJ's life, I'd probably fast forward to the Bad era...only cuz everything after Thriller is LESS talked about in depth. Thats even if JD DIDN'T play MJ lol

Everyone knows everything about the Thriller era...people talk about it allll the time. We know the ends and outs of it. But what about the Bad era? Bad tour? What was happening when MJ made the Bad video? What was going through MJ's head when he made In The Closet, Remember the Time? Its not just cuz its all about JD like your implying, seriously I'd really like to see a movie of everything post thriller cuz i'm TIRED of Thriller...seriously LOL. People used that dang thing to say MJ hasn't made/done anything good since, and it's ANNOYING. Cuz IMO, MJ has done much more interesting things in his life and his art post thriller. and if those things are highlighted, I would bow down to the producer of that movie lol.

And if its a movie about MJ's life in any way, why wouldn't it be for the fans, just cuz it's not involving thriller? And commercially people would see it just for the controversial parts. LOL

And a movie wouldn't necessarily be 'altered' just for JD to play. But people can be creative with the standard bio pic can't they? To me, the more creative and different a movie is, the better. So it'll be a breath of fresh air to me if someone did a bio pic and did it differently from the regular old format, and did it WELL if JD stars in it or not.

And the reason why people are talking about JD playing him in this thread is cuz this thread is about JD playing him. Not cuz some fanatic jd fans (although i am that lol but theres nothing wrong with that lol) just decided to force this idea of JD playing MJ down your throat lol

And just cuz YOU can't see JD playing MJ and looking right doesn't mean it's not possible. Have you ever seen a pic of Edgar Allan Poe? If they could transform MJ into that crazy ugly man then I think they can transform handsome JD into handsome MJ :lol: Thats why its a movie, that's why its acting, thats why it's art...the transformation. And if done right, i think people can surprise you.

What many of you are missing here is the point that I made in the first place. Unless this movie was being made for a white audience, and JD fans the movie would not bode well for the general black population, not just in america but abroad as well. Can you imagine a white man playing Ali, I can't. The black people in general would make a big fuss about it regarless, They are proud of MJ and they would want him to be portrayed by a blackman, and they would protest very loudly if it was otherwise, mark my words.

No, that point has been considered and agreed upon lol. Already. lol

Last edited:
Back