Johnny Depp Wants to Play Michael Jackson in a Movie

Well of COURSE any one besides JD could play mj. but the point is, for a lot of people i think who are JD AND MJ fans, the idea of that happening would be a good entertaining thought. Nothing more , nothing less. It's not like this is actually being planned out our in the works to actually HAPPEN. It's just, you know, I'm a fan of Johnny Depp. I think based on everything I've seen of him, if he were given the opportunity he could play MJ well. Cuz, no offense to impersonators, but JD has some seriously GREAT acting chops IMO. And when he plays a character, I definitely FEEL the character. Like in Finding Neverland, that movie made me cry LOL and so did Edward Scissorhands. And JD does his research when portraying someone. Now, Of course ANYONE else could play MJ....just like ANYONE but MJ could play EAP lol. But I like the idea since I'm a fan of both.

I really think a continuation of The American Dream would be...well a dream come true. :lol: Of MJ's life up til now, a REAL quality movie, done RIGHT...I would LOVE to see something like that. Probably will never happen, but I can dream can't I? LOL

And I'm black myself. I've been treated differently a many instances in my SHORT 20 year old life LOL. So I know what it's like. But if there is a piece of artwork and a white person, with all good intentions wants to portray a black man and IT WORKS VISUALLY, like in MJ's case with the light skin and all, and the white actor, when he acts knows and shows that he is ACTING and PORTRAYING a BLACK PERSON...then I am fine with that. If the finished product is respectful, I have no problem with it. Because there are instances where a black person has portrayed a white person and it WORKED. (MJ's "Ghosts' for example).

BUT...I'm not even saying it HAS to be JD who portrays mj, but this is what this thread is about :lol: And I like JD so I'm entertaining the thought. That's all LOL

sure, I get the fact that it way more than likely wont happen.......... that's a given. In my first post on this subject I said I would pass on it, if in some weird world, it actually happened. So, in terms of Johnny ever playing Michael, I, personally dont like the idea.

AND, on the fact of Johnny Depp, a white male, playing Michael, a black male- I don't think it would be a good idea for many reasons. Number one, like i said, there are actors who are actually black that could play Michael. Also, I LOOOVE Johnny depp, but he cant dance for one, he cant sing like Michael, and he would turn Michael into some kooky character, cause he doesn't know Michael, and he'd take it on like one of his "weird" characters. Johnny is a great actor, but he just can't play Michael Jackson.

Michael Jackson's "ghost" was Michael playing a fictional character for laughs, like 'white chicks'. Michael is a real person who isn't white.

The fact is that Michael Jackson was the first AFRICAN AMERICAN artist to break down SO many barriers for black people in music. He was a history maker and a pioneer for black people. To have a white male play him (no matter how wonderful of an actor he is) would take so much away from the accomplishments that he made for his race. It just wouldnt make any sense for the PIONEER for african american music to be played by a white person. Since Brad Pitt is a good actor, should he play Michael too??? NO.

I entertained the thought, and I don't like the idea.You do, and that's fine for you.

BTW- just to be clear, I do love johnny depp and brad pitt..........

well again, as far as the race thing, i've said my piece on that. Another example, besides ghosts was the EAP movie...MJ a black person playing a white man. And i don't think production stopped because they were thinking 'oo, the race issue'. lol

And as far as he depp can't dance/sing...like i said, the idea of mixing real footage with reenacted footage (like the Vh1 movie but done right) is an option here. And i actually think that if done right, that's a pretty good idea.

I just see ACTING...for what it is...ACTING. And no matter who it is, black or white...it's not gonna be the ACTUAL person...Michael Jackson. But rather someone ACTING like that person. So it wouldn't, to me, take away any accomplishments if JD portrays MJ for what he is- a black man with vitiligo...if he acts as such then that should be no problem.

well again, as far as the race thing, i've said my piece on that. Another example, besides ghosts was the EAP movie...MJ a black person playing a white man. And i don't think production stopped because they were thinking 'oo, the race issue'. lol

And as far as he depp can't dance/sing...like i said, the idea of mixing real footage with reenacted footage (like the Vh1 movie but done right) is an option here. And i actually think that if done right, that's a pretty good idea.

I just see ACTING...for what it is...ACTING. And no matter who it is, black or white...it's not gonna be the ACTUAL person...Michael Jackson. But rather someone ACTING like that person. So it wouldn't, to me, take away any accomplishments if JD portrays MJ for what he is- a black man with vitiligo...if he acts as such then that should be no problem.

whatever. the race issue doesn't bother you.....fine. Cause Edgar Allan Poe revolutionized something for white people who didn't need revolutionizing????

you don't care, i do.

I know acting is ACTING, but Michael's role for black people in a society where, before him, they werent even really PLAYING black music, is WAAAAAAY too large to have a white person represent that.

They should have had the three singers in 'dreamgirls' be white people with makeup on, cause there might have been better actresses to play them than Beyonce, Jennifer......
ummmm, no. That would have defeated the whole purpose of the movie. WOuld you feel the same seeing white actresses in makeup overcoming so many racial barriers and struggling to get their records played? no, cause you wouldnt believe that they would have EVER experienced that feeling.

it's not "oo, the race issue"., it's making sense, not taking anything away from major accomplishments from an oppressed race, the feeling, the truth, and what would be right and wrong.

And lets get a good white actor to play MLK, as long as he's a good actor.

Acting IS just ACTING and PORTRAYING people, I agree. But it would just be wrong to have some people be portrayed as something they are not, especially when it has to do with a proud history, and growth of a certain race, and what makes sense.

I agree to disagree.

whatever. the race issue doesn't bother you.....fine. Cause Edgar Allan Poe revolutionized something for white people who didn't need revolutionizing????

you don't care, i do.

I know acting is ACTING, but Michael's role for black people in a society where, before him, they werent even really PLAYING black music, is WAAAAAAY too large to have a white person represent that.

They should have had the three singers in 'dreamgirls' be white people with makeup on, cause there might have been better actresses to play them than Beyonce, Jennifer......
ummmm, no. That would have defeated the whole purpose of the movie. WOuld you feel the same seeing white actresses in makeup overcoming so many racial barriers and struggling to get their records played? no, cause you wouldnt believe that they would have EVER experienced that feeling.

it's not "oo, the race issue"., it's making sense, not taking anything away from major accomplishments from an oppressed race, the feeling, the truth, and what would be right and wrong.

And lets get a good white actor to play MLK, as long as he's a good actor.

Acting IS just ACTING and PORTRAYING people, I agree. But it would just be wrong to have some people be portrayed as something they are not, especially when it has to do with a proud history, and growth of a certain race, and what makes sense.

I agree to disagree.

No not cuz EAP revolutionized white people, It's not even about that. When I'm 'entertaining' this thought i'm just saying for ENTERTAINMENT purposes. So i'm not really even thinking about race this and that cuz it's NOT EVEN gonna happen. Why get so deep into it, when it aint gonna happen? LOL

And I just see the whole 'dream girls', and MLK analogy inappropriate because neither of the dream girls have a skin disease that turns them white. And i'm not saying that BECAUSE MJ has it, MJ MUST have a white person playing him, I'm just saying that it's more PROBABLE, more of a possibility for convenience sake, that a white person (particularly JD) can play him. Sure u can get any light skinned impersonator to play MJ, but does that person have the ACTING skills to execute it as well as a GENIUS actor like JD? Who knows?

And like i said, they aren't gonna be PORTRAYED as something they are not if the ACTOR protrays them as they ARE :lol: No matter what race the actor is, if the ACTOR is in the character of a black man with vitiligo, he will PLAY MJ as a black man with vitiligo, and that is that.

Last edited:
And as far as he depp can't dance/sing...

He sang in Sweeney Todd and a lot better than anyone thought he could.

I think Johnny Depp could play anyone he set his mind to play including Michael.

i think johnny depp playing mike would be great...as long as the movie was in good taste, but also e'casanova would make a good mike....

And as far as he depp can't dance/sing...

He sang in Sweeney Todd and a lot better than anyone thought he could.

I think Johnny Depp could play anyone he set his mind to play including Michael.

true. i don't think he was that MARVELOUS a singer (actually i'm listening to the soundtrack now lol)....but he did better than i thought he would.

Not to get off topic but the song "pretty women' from Sweeney Todd is sooooooooo beautiful...I love it. LOL

Nobody can dance or sing like Michael.

They'd have to get permission to use archival footage of Michael dancing and permission to use his recorded tracks.

yeah i know all about that. And people are gonna draw conclusions all they want about it in order to make MJ out as some creepy, looney, pedo. Of COURSE they'd do that. And of COURSE they'd be offensive about it. But I ain't worried about the critics lol.

Willy Wonka is like Peter Pan...in that he values purity and innocence, imagination, and all that good stuff. Just like Mike lol

but do a lot of people see it that way? i think not. when comparison is made on michael and the wonka character, it is almost always said derisively and that's not good. It was aimed at making michael a laughing stock.there shld be an end to that by not riding the boat. notice that depp is known for playing "WEIRD" characters. Will you take that positively in relation to michael?

this michael-johnny depp thing is all speculation but i say, let a black man play a black man- irregardless if the person that actor will portray has vitiligo or not ;)

No not cuz EAP revolutionized white people, It's not even about that. When I'm 'entertaining' this thought i'm just saying for ENTERTAINMENT purposes. So i'm not really even thinking about race this and that cuz it's NOT EVEN gonna happen. Why get so deep into it, when it aint gonna happen? LOL

And I just see the whole 'dream girls', and MLK analogy inappropriate because neither of the dream girls have a skin disease that turns them white. And i'm not saying that BECAUSE MJ has it, MJ MUST have a white person playing him, I'm just saying that it's more PROBABLE, more of a possibility for convenience sake, that a white person (particularly JD) can play him. Sure u can get any light skinned impersonator to play MJ, but does that person have the ACTING skills to execute it as well as a GENIUS actor like JD? Who knows?

And like i said, they aren't gonna be PORTRAYED as something they are not if the ACTOR protrays them as they ARE :lol: No matter what race the actor is, if the ACTOR is in the character of a black man with vitiligo, he will PLAY MJ as a black man with vitiligo, and that is that.

whatev. MLK and dreamgirls are black, Michael Jackson is black, no matter what skin shade, there are black people in every shade :lol: :lol: :lol: I didn't say get an impersonator to play him, I said get an actor to play him.

ANYONE can portray ANYONE in a film, I can play an Asian man in a film and attempt to portray that image. It's not a question as to whether Johnny Depp can get into makeup and play Michael Jackson with vitiligo whatever way he sees fit. Sure he could ( even though that would make no sense). I KNOW acting is portraying another person. All actors/actresses do it. And btw- JD isnt the only GENIUS actor in the world (as im sure u know)

I also KNOW it isn't gonna happen. But these are my views (as u've stated yours) on the subject.

I just happen to care about Black history and the hardships that those that are Black had to endure. Convenience isn't always right. :lol: It would be CONVENIENT for a slave owner to keep his slaves, doesnt make it right. And that statement is relevant cause convenience doesnt make it right.

ur right, why get so deep into something that means something to tons of ppl?

Last edited:
I see J-5Master's points and as one who has a great respect for acting I tend to agree - - - in general - and yes MJ playing Poe would have been a bit different for a couple reasons, one being that because of the difference in era Poe is basically almost like a fictional character in present time (although he was quite real) but there are no true-to-life day to day references that will create the contrast unlike with Michael who is still very much alive and well living in the same era as Depp

and what about Michael's childhood and young adult life?

nahhhh :lol: this just wouldn't work

Johnny may have the sensitivity (and I say may) other than that though..

um no. :lol: I don't think there's a producer alive who'd chance that one

I think even Johnny was half joking when he said it ..

and what could he have meant by "old tricks"...

oh well..

nahh :lol:

cute thought tho but um no LOL

Reading this topicsome might have the impression that a film with/about Michael Jackson can be only a biographically one. WRONG!

Movies can be done in many many ways..... It's the CONCEPT that matter - if you got a realistic concept a biographical movie, than an Johnny Depp maybe is not suitable.

But if we got a mix of reality and fiction, a movie with an interesting concept, Johnny Depp can fasntastically portray Michael Jackson. This kind of movie it's rare and got to be very aesthetic and admirably done, and Johnny would be fantastical for a role.

Last edited:
but how could willly wonka be up to old tricks in the future if he's dead? i guess an inside joke or somn...really don't understand, and wish someone would enlighten me...

if it's about MJ..well...many want to be in Mj's position, so....not sweatin the small stuff....although if many are thinking of mJ with those lines....where there's smoke...but..hey...whatever...

Uhm....what does that mean exactly.....?

The quote was mis quoted in the first article posted.

Johnny Depp is referring to the Willy Wonka character, there was talk a few months ago that there could be a sequel to the "Charlie and the Chocolate factory" film :yes:

The character of Willy Wonka is in the role of trickster. A little interesting fact: Gene Wilder speaks about the role of Willy Wonka in his autobiography "Kiss me like a stranger" saying that Wonka was to be played as a trickster giving audiences the impression that he always had a hidden agenda behind his outward appearance. So when Gene Wilder played the first scene that we see Wonka in he improvised.
He talks about how the script read that Wonka would walk down the carpet to the children. He suggested to the director that he should play the scene with a walking cane, and that he should limp his way down the carpet until about halfway, where the cane would suddenly get stuck and he would move ahead without the cane before falling forward and somer saulting to the front of the children.
He said right there and then the first impression you have of Wonka is that he is a liar or a trickster, and instantly you're convinced that this character is to be watched as he is probably not entirely truthful.
Of course Wilder's brilliant comic timing made the scene :p

But I digress :innocent:

basically Depp was referring to the very element of Wonka.

Not to Michael :p

Last edited:
I told you it would be contraversial. I can guarantee that there would be a MASSIVE outcry from the public and the media would blame it all on MJ.

Depp would be the best choice if it ever happens. Ever since I've seen Finding Neverland and Willy Wonka I've felt he is in a better position to understand Michael and I think he does. I also feel he likes and appreciates Michael!

Depp would be the best choice if it ever happens. Ever since I've seen Finding Neverland and Willy Wonka I've felt he is in a better position to understand Michael and I think he does. I also feel he likes and appreciates Michael!
:yes: agree 100%... that's how I feel as well

+ Edward (the old film)

Last edited:
but do a lot of people see it that way? i think not. when comparison is made on michael and the wonka character, it is almost always said derisively and that's not good. It was aimed at making michael a laughing stock.there shld be an end to that by not riding the boat. notice that depp is known for playing "WEIRD" characters. Will you take that positively in relation to michael?

Whats the difference between this 'joke' or 'pun' about MJ compared to all the rest that the media/critics get a kick out of? They're always gonna come out with SOMETHING to make MJ the laughing stock so I guess I don't care cuz...well this is just more of the same. And yeah of course a lot of people don't see it that way cuz a lot of people see the media-made version of MJ. A lot of people think MJ's weird and there's nothing u can tell them to prove them otherwise so why should i concern myself with that. Why concern myself with THIS particular nudge at MJ just cuz it's related to Willy Wonka...a character that I so love and adore? :lol:

And Depp is known for playing 'weird' characters and I don't see that as bad. Cuz most of the time the characters are 'weird' because they're misunderstood. And the character's 'weird-ness' makes them lovable. WHy do u think I love JD so much and love how he tackles these roles? Cuz he's an outside-of-the-box artist, and so is MJ LOL

And MsPYT....LOL....
ANYONE can portray ANYONE in a film, I can play an Asian man in a film and attempt to portray that image. It's not a question as to whether Johnny Depp can get into makeup and play Michael Jackson with vitiligo whatever way he sees fit. Sure he could ( even though that would make no sense). I KNOW acting is portraying another person. All actors/actresses do it. And btw- JD isnt the only GENIUS actor in the world (as im sure u know)

And I've said this over and over, the topic is about JD...that's why I'm entertaining the prospect of JD playing MJ not any other actor. I know there are other genius actors in the world that can play MJ. There are more capable actors...yes. There are black actors, yes. But for MY imagination purposes and because this thread is about JD, I'm only talking about the prospect of JD playing MJ :lol:

I also KNOW it isn't gonna happen. But these are my views (as u've stated yours) on the subject.

I just happen to care about Black history and the hardships that those that are Black had to endure. Convenience isn't always right. :lol:

Look I CARE about black history and hardships too! If this 'movie' was ACTUALLY in the works...THEN I might have a problem. but it's not, so i have NO problem. In a dreamland world where racism and race don't matter....I would LOVE JD to play MJ cuz i simply LOVE JD, and I LOVE MJ...it's just that simple. And that's what i've been arguing for all this time. If this ACTUALLY were to happen, I would have a different take on things. But it's just as simple as JD is my FAVORITE actor, and in a dream world, i would LOVE for him to try his hand at MJ's role.

ur right, why get so deep into something that means something to tons of ppl?

Really? So a NON EXISTENT, NEVER EXISTENT, NEVER WILL BE EXISTENT movie means something to the nation and world? LOL A discussion about a fairy land, non existent bio movie is gonna shake the world as we speak? I think not. lol

Reading this topicsome might have the impression that a film with/about Michael Jackson can be only a biographically one. WRONG!

Movies can be done in many many ways..... It's the CONCEPT that matter - if you got a realistic concept a biographical movie, than an Johnny Depp maybe is not suitable.

But if we got a mix of reality and fiction, a movie with an interesting concept, Johnny Depp can fasntastically portray Michael Jackson. This kind of movie it's rare and got to be very aesthetic and admirably done, and Johnny would be fantastical for a role.

Hmmm sounds like a tim burton type job. That would be interesting.

and what about Michael's childhood and young adult life?

Well I was thinking more present-day MJ lol

I don't see the need for such a movie.

Anyone who wants to know about Michael Jackson - the man and the artist - only has to listen to his music, watch one of his concerts, watch an interview (or more), not to mention do a lot of online reading (information is very accessible these day, I'm sure you agree)

Movies have always been (and will continue being) stretched from reality, and frankly, I wouldn't want to see him portrayed in a wrong way. Yes, he's been portrayed in many horrible ways over the years, but this time we would be talking about a movie which is supposed to be biographical - people would consider whatever would be said or showed in it to be true.

And besides, it would require Michael and his family's approval, which I'm not sure they'd get ;)

Don't have anything against Depp, or anyone for that matter, I just wouldn't see it as a good thing for Michael^^

That's interesting news.. Like few others have said too, I think Depp would be the best actor to play Michael in a movie.

i see nothing wrong if he played mike in a movie...i mean, an australian actor played elvis in a mini-series awhile back...and he was superb! so if johnny ever played mj and the movie was done in good taste, i'd be all for it....^_^

Last edited:
Look I CARE about black history and hardships too! If this 'movie' was ACTUALLY in the works...THEN I might have a problem. but it's not, so i have NO problem. In a dreamland world where racism and race don't matter....I would LOVE JD to play MJ cuz i simply LOVE JD, and I LOVE MJ...it's just that simple. And that's what i've been arguing for all this time. If this ACTUALLY were to happen, I would have a different take on things. But it's just as simple as JD is my FAVORITE actor, and in a dream world, i would LOVE for him to try his hand at MJ's role.

Really? So a NON EXISTENT, NEVER EXISTENT, NEVER WILL BE EXISTENT movie means something to the nation and world? LOL A discussion about a fairy land, non existent bio movie is gonna shake the world as we speak? I think not. lol

i didnt say the actual non existent movie meant something to the world, I meant the fact of a white person person playing the role of a significant black person. Like the firefighter or ex-marine in the movie about 9/11, and there were ppl trapped in a building, and a guy who was at home watching the tragedy on tv, and left his home and family to go help those stuck in the towers- and he ended up saving people from the building. (cant remember the name of the movie, my mom told me about it) and he was the hero in the movie

This guy was black in real life, and in the movie he was a white man. That's such a horrible representation of a man who did wonderful things. Just represent people as they are, you can do WHATEVER you want in fictional movies, but when it comes to biographies, at least give them a representation of who they are, despite the fact that ANYONE can portray ANYONE in a movie.

hey, I live in the same dream-world as you do, but since we were discussing the prospect of MJ being played by JD, I had to step out of my 'no reading the newspaper, not watching the news, non-voting' life to realize that it wouldnt be a good idea. I loooove JD too, I just wouldnt want him to play MJ.

so, i understand what you are saying, i feel differently, aaaaaand i guess that is officially it.

But i already said earlier i understand how, if this REALLY happened how it'll be controversial and probably not a good idea lol.

All I'm saying is that ALL THAT ASIDE, i've been saying that...JD as MJ? Awesome lol. I think that JD COULD do it, if given the opportunity and do it well. But he will never be given that opportunity cuz of all the things u said.

Last edited:
I thought i was the only one who thought Johnny Depp would make a great Michael Jackson. Johnny Depp is an incredible actor who can transform himself like no other. He loves playing out of the norm type of characters as well as real people. I remember watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and I didn't even recognize Johnny for a while. His entire demeanor and everything about him was completely transformed. Johnny wouldn't take on a role if he knew he would suck at it and i HIGHLY doubt he would take a role that was bashing the person he is portraying. He always does so much research for his roles.

I also thought i was the only one who thought Johnny and Michael had similar personalities, something about the way they speak and how they act in interviews, in more of a quiet kind of shy way, remind me of each other. Also they seem to have similar likes. I know both of them adore silent film stars like Charlie Chaplin and have emulated them like Johnny in Benny and Joon when he did the famous Chaplin roll dance and Michael in photoshoots.

I dunno if anyone were to play MJ in a movie I think Johnny would be a very interesting and amazing choice.

P.S. I just saw a video of Johnny singing background to a Jackson 5 song which i thought was very cute. Something tells me that Johnny does like and respect Michael as some of you have said.

P.S. I just saw a video of Johnny singing background to a Jackson 5 song which i thought was very cute. Something tells me that Johnny does like and respect Michael as some of you have said.

I just saw that too and had never seen it before! MJ & Depp are two of my favs ever so I was so excited to see it! I adore them both. :wub: Here's a link to the youtube vid. I'm sorry if it was previously posted in this thread, but I'm not able to stay on the board long enough to read through it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CewfwYKZG0Q

As for Johnny playing MJ in a movie, I can't really picture it, but Johnny's mannerisims have always reminded me a bit of Michael's. I know they were both close to Marlon Brando and have often wondered if they have ever met.

I don't see the need for such a movie.

Anyone who wants to know about Michael Jackson - the man and the artist - only has to listen to his music, watch one of his concerts, watch an interview (or more), not to mention do a lot of online reading (information is very accessible these day, I'm sure you agree)

Movies have always been (and will continue being) stretched from reality, and frankly, I wouldn't want to see him portrayed in a wrong way. Yes, he's been portrayed in many horrible ways over the years, but this time we would be talking about a movie which is supposed to be biographical - people would consider whatever would be said or showed in it to be true.

And besides, it would require Michael and his family's approval, which I'm not sure they'd get ;)

Don't have anything against Depp, or anyone for that matter, I just wouldn't see it as a good thing for Michael^^

i share ur view crying angel! :)

Back