Jury Selection / Jury Questionnaire (all threads merged)- April 7th - Jury Selection Day 3

Re: Jury Selection (all threads merged)

I believe the jury will be able to determine why Conrad Murray did not keep up with his child support payments, when they get a look at the "string" of YOUNG GIRLFRIENDS Murray had in his "stable."

That, I can guarantee, will NOT sit well with the jury either.

I believe the jury will be able to determine why Conrad Murray did not keep up with his child support payments, when they get a look at the "string" of YOUNG GIRLFRIENDS Murray had in his "stable."

That, I can guarantee, will NOT sit well with the jury either.

YEP! a cardiologist with 2 medical practices unable to pay child support but gives his girlfriends 2 and 3 grand in cash and buys them clothes and meals to restaurants? that 2 or 3 grand should've been going to child support.

Firstly this may not be the finalized questions and definitely NOT all the questions. TMZ article is obvious this is what the defense wants to ask. We have no idea about what the prosecution wants to ask the jurors.

Jury questions will be general in nature to determine people's perceptions and bias.

and I think they can become public after the jurors answer them.

and Murray's defense is leaking stuff to TMZ.

anyone know how long it usually takes to pick a jury?..thanks.

For a normal case a day or so but this is not really a normal case (it's a high profile case) and they aren't going to finalize the jury till May in this case.

from the media reports the jurors will answer questions about hardship first (whether they have the time or a legit reason that they can't serve as a jury) and then fill the questionnaires (27 page 125 questions), then they will go through an elimination, then they will be called in person to be asked questions with lawyers both sides accepting or rejecting a juror. In the end they'll have 12 with alternatives.

edited to add see these quotes from media

Jurors will face several questions Thursday from Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael E. Pastor, including whether it would be a financial hardship for them to serve on a trial that is scheduled to begin in early May and wrap up by late June.

Pastor's first job is to screen the prospects on whether they can afford to spend two months on the trial. Many who can serve will be public employees or employees of corporations who are paid for jury duty. Typical juries for long trials also include retirees who don't have job pressures.

Those who pass the time qualification will be given a questionnaire with about 125 questions. The inquiry is likely to cover their knowledge of the case, their tastes in music, their relationships with their own doctors, their knowledge of prescription drugs and whether they have predetermined views about the guilt or innocence of Murray.

If it doesn't present a financial hardship, the remaining members of the jury pool will be asked to fill out a 27-page questionnaire that includes about 125 questions. It's not clear what's on those 27 pages, but the judge has called the questionnaire "very inclusive."

Those who fill out questionnaires are expected to be asked to return to the downtown Los Angeles courthouse starting on May 4, when attorneys from both sides are set to begin questioning them. Opening statements are scheduled for May 9.

For a normal case a day or so but this is not really a normal case (it's a high profile case) and they aren't going to finalize the jury till May in this case.

from the media reports the jurors will answer questions about hardship first (whether they have the time or a legit reason that they can't serve as a jury) and then fill the questionnaires (27 page 125 questions), then they will go through an elimination, then they will be called in person to be asked questions with lawyers both sides accepting or rejecting a juror. In the end they'll have 12 with alternatives.

edited to add see these quotes from media

thank you for the answer Ivy...I have some mixed feelings about the type of jurors they are looking for..retired folks...folks from corporations. However at the end of the day I know that they jury will be looking at the FACTS of this case with a unprejudiced. They wont be Michael Jackson fans..(ok.maybe one might be secretly..lol)....but they wont be Murray fans either. I know that they are gonna reach a decision based on evidence...It is jsut going to be so hard to see Michael ripped apart...hopefully the jury wont take everything the defense says to heart and they will see Michael NOT for the superstar..NOT for the person that the media protrayed him to be...BUT for Michael Jackson the person. I have a feeling this is going to get ugly..:sad:

I only hope that the jury members or some of them won't be corrupted with money and other services to reach a 'certain' verdict favorable to Murray, God forbid this happens.

I only hope that the jury members or some of them won't be corrupted with money and other services to reach a 'certain' verdict favorable to Murray, God forbid this happens.
I know Alma...I have already thought of that....I was trying to stay a little optimistic...heaven only knows what is going to be said..:(

Pastor isn't joking around

Michael Jackson case: Judge seals jury questionnaire after blasting ‘bogus’ information

The judge presiding over the trial of Michael Jackson's personal physician blasted a website Thursday for posting what he described as "bogus" information about a questionnaire prospective jurors are filling out.

In an apparent reference to a TMZ.com article that purported to detail questions proposed by Dr. Conrad Murray's defense, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor said, "Not one of the questions from that questionnaire posted online is part of this court's questionnaire."

The judge has ordered the questionnaire sealed until after the entire jury pool completes it, and said he was worried that the TMZ story and a "tongue-in-cheek" questionnaire posted on a second website might affect the answers prospective panelists provide.

About 160 potential jurors were sworn in Thursday morning, marking the official start of Murray's trial. The cardiologist is accused of involuntary manslaughter for allegedly giving the pop star a fatal dose of the surgical anesthetic propofol. Murray's defense contends that Jackson administered the drug himself.

Testimony in the case is scheduled to get underway next month.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...y-questionnaire-blasts-bogus-information.html

-----------------------------------------------

AP Update

Jury selection begins in LA for Jackson doctor
By LINDA DEUTSCH , 03.24.11, 12:39 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES -- Jury selection has begun under tight security in the trial of the doctor charged in the death of Michael Jackson.

The judge has temporarily moved the proceedings for the involuntary manslaughter case to a jury assembly room so that potential jurors can begin filling out questionnaires about their availability for the case.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor said Thursday that potential jurors would be closely guarded and would not be in public areas of the courthouse. Instead, the judge says they will be brought food, refreshments and have access to restrooms in the assembly room.

The questioning is the first step in the trial of Dr. Conrad Murray, who has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter in connection to Jackson's June 2009 death. Potential jurors who are available for the two-month trial will be asked to fill out a 27-page questionnaire and be asked to return in early May.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/03/24/entertainment-us-michael-jackson-doctor_8373141.html

Re: Jury Selection / Jury Questionnaire (all threads merged)

so TMZ got played?

so TMZ got played?

that's what Pastor says and I guess we will see when the questionnaires are completed and he removes the seal.

Defense might be feeding them cr** to influence the jury pool.

so TMZ got played?
my first thought to Elusive when I seen that article..
that's what Pastor says and I guess we will see when the questionnaires are completed and he removes the seal.

Defense might be feeding them cr** to influence the jury pool.
That would NOT AT ALL surprise me...so much for my remaining optimistic comment in my earlier post. The defense is going to play ugly....the question is are WE ready for it??...speaking for myself....I dont know.

Last edited:

xthunderx2,

Michael is dead, it doesn't matter what the defense says. I just hope the prosecution proves it's case and shows Murray as the reckless and incompetent fool that he is. Michael is not on trial here, Murray is. Let's hope Judge Pastor sticks to that.

Re: Dr. Murray Targeting Jurors Who Take Responsibility

In my opinion, a jury is first going to think that a patient SHOULD be able to trust their doctor. A patient trust their doctor, because we believe that a doctor is their to help us with our problems not hinder them or make them worse.

Murray's defense is going to have a HARD TIME "trying" to explain why a cardiologist was giving his patient Propofol to solve the patient's sleeping issues, instead of advising his patient to seek help from a doctor who specalizes in sleeping disorders.

No matter how you slice it, there is no excuse for Murray's actions.

Sorry but this is not true.. We think that, non fans, say its michaels own fault. he asked for the propofol at home.. so if alot of non fans think like that its possible a jury think like that... because no way the def wants fans on the jury. so its possible that the jury feels like murray was wrong but michael asked for it...

non fans, say its michaels own fault.
spoken to every single person? stop generalising

CNN report

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/03/24/california.murray.trial/index.html

Jury selection starts in Michael Jackson death case

NEW: Jury selection is under way in Dr. Conrad Murray's trial
NEW: The Murray trial judge is probing court leaks to websites
NEW: Two of the 159 potential jurors say they've never heard of the case
Michael Jackson died in 2009 after Murray allegedly gave him an overdose

Los Angeles (CNN) -- The judge in the trial of Dr. Conrad Murray, accused of involuntary manslaughter in Michael Jackson's death, will launch an investigation into how celebrity news websites obtained questionnaires being used to select a jury.

Still, Judge Michael Pastor said Thursday one website that has a "banner, bold headline indicating it has a copy of the questionnaire" does not have the real thing.

"Not one of the questions posted online is part of this court's questionnaire -- not one," Pastor said. "It is bogus."

As lawyers in the case gathered in his courtroom Thursday morning to begin jury selection, Pastor said he would meet with them later in the morning to start his inquiry into the potential leak of the questionnaire.

He had ordered the document sealed until all potential jurors had filled it out and handed it back to the court. The judge said he was concerned about "the potential for mischief that happens, and the real potential for skewing information and impacting juries with areas of concern that they feel they might have to answer a certain way."

Elevator troubles in the aging courthouse delayed the start of jury selection, with the judge moving his court to the jury assembly room on another floor.

"Because of the elevator situation, we had a lot people running late," Pastor said.

When the judge asked the 159 potential jurors to raise a hand if they have never heard of the Murray case, two indicated they had not.

Pastor then introduced Murray to the jury pool.

"Good morning, ladies and gentleman," Murray said as he stood before the people who will decide his fate. "Good morning," many of them said in response.

The potential jurors were given a three-page form to complete to determine if they are "hardship qualified."

Those who swear that their jury service, which is estimated to last 45 days, could cost them their jobs or otherwise be a hardship will be excused, the judge said.

The judge wants to select a pool of 85 to 100 "hardship qualified" potential jurors who would return on May 4 for the final jury selection process. Until then, lawyers will pour over their answers to the 160 written questions to decide which potential jurors they would want -- or not want -- to decide the case.

Opening statements and testimony are expected to begin around May 4, with the trial estimated to conclude around July 1, Pastor said.

CNN report

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/03/24/california.murray.trial/index.html

Jury selection starts in Michael Jackson death case

NEW: Jury selection is under way in Dr. Conrad Murray's trial
NEW: The Murray trial judge is probing court leaks to websites
NEW: Two of the 159 potential jurors say they've never heard of the case
Michael Jackson died in 2009 after Murray allegedly gave him an overdose

Los Angeles (CNN) -- The judge in the trial of Dr. Conrad Murray, accused of involuntary manslaughter in Michael Jackson's death, will launch an investigation into how celebrity news websites obtained questionnaires being used to select a jury.

Still, Judge Michael Pastor said Thursday one website that has a "banner, bold headline indicating it has a copy of the questionnaire" does not have the real thing.

"Not one of the questions posted online is part of this court's questionnaire -- not one," Pastor said. "It is bogus."

As lawyers in the case gathered in his courtroom Thursday morning to begin jury selection, Pastor said he would meet with them later in the morning to start his inquiry into the potential leak of the questionnaire.

He had ordered the document sealed until all potential jurors had filled it out and handed it back to the court. The judge said he was concerned about "the potential for mischief that happens, and the real potential for skewing information and impacting juries with areas of concern that they feel they might have to answer a certain way."

Elevator troubles in the aging courthouse delayed the start of jury selection, with the judge moving his court to the jury assembly room on another floor.

"Because of the elevator situation, we had a lot people running late," Pastor said.

When the judge asked the 159 potential jurors to raise a hand if they have never heard of the Murray case, two indicated they had not.

Pastor then introduced Murray to the jury pool.

"Good morning, ladies and gentleman," Murray said as he stood before the people who will decide his fate. "Good morning," many of them said in response.

The potential jurors were given a three-page form to complete to determine if they are "hardship qualified."

Those who swear that their jury service, which is estimated to last 45 days, could cost them their jobs or otherwise be a hardship will be excused, the judge said.

The judge wants to select a pool of 85 to 100 "hardship qualified" potential jurors who would return on May 4 for the final jury selection process. Until then, lawyers will pour over their answers to the 160 written questions to decide which potential jurors they would want -- or not want -- to decide the case.

Opening statements and testimony are expected to begin around May 4, with the trial estimated to conclude around July 1, Pastor said.

Ivy---is this just a misprint in the article--the May 4th date for both voir dire and opening statements? I think voir dire will take longer than just a few days too.

EW: Two of the 159 potential jurors say they've never heard of the case
fans or haters. and blah at murray sucking upto them already

Hi you guys, sorry if this has already been mentioned. We are waiting for judge Pastor to return from chambers so I wanted to try to update everyone on todays events. I have a busy weekend so not sure when I'll be back. Idf the message gets cut short it's because court is going back in session.

Counsel is currently in judges chambers. They are discussing what judge Pastor said he did not want to call a leak to a media agency that is boasting they have all of the qwuestions to the questionaire. He also informed us earlier that there is something online claiming to be all of the questions but that it was fraudulent and did not have any. So apparently these are two diferent articles and possibly agencies.

The potential jurors are diverse in age I would say majority being 40 and above, caucasions. There were very few blacks. I could speculate less than ten and a good ratio of male and female.

2 potential jurors apparently raised their hands claiming they had not heard of the case. This was after being sworn in. The jury selection questionaires were issued in a different room than that of normal court proceeding. The court allowed 2 main media to be present and 6 selected from media and public from a lottery.

Some people seemed concerned about the time frame but the majority that I was able to view showed any concern or emotion when the judge mentioned the possible 45 days.

Judge Pastor had everyone introduce themselves from both sides of counsel and the potential jurors would say hi back to each person.

They are wanting to obtain 85 potential jurors to proceed and are not sure if it will go into tomorrow.

Potential jurors were given extensive orders concerning serving as a juror in which they could be held in contempt of court, have jail time or pay fines if they fail to comply. They were informed they will not be able to seek any money for interviews or book deals within 90 days after trial. Orders included no converations, tweets blogs, news etc. to be written or read by them. No investigations conducted by them or interviews gotten or given, no reception of cards from media for later contact. Not to visit the place involved and if accidentally passing by not to stop... They passed out copies concerning some things discussed.

All questions jurors are asked and answer will be made public per judge Pastor at some time after trial except their names.

Today they are determining willingness and ability to serve starting with a three page questionaire then later I presume the official 30 page questionaire will be given to those who are able.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head save Murray has been carrying around a box of tissues. Not sure if he has a cold or if he's been crying.

I hope this helps any questions anyone may have.

Please remember to be prayerful. All you do, do so in love and welcome peace.

God bless!!!

That's all I can think of off the top of my head save Murray has been carrying around a box of tissues. Not sure if he has a cold or if he's been crying.

I do hope he's just sick...I can't stand to watch anymore of his dry crying :no: I just might have sympathy for him....:better:...

Sorry but this is not true.. We think that, non fans, say its michaels own fault. he asked for the propofol at home.. so if alot of non fans think like that its possible a jury think like that... because no way the def wants fans on the jury. so its possible that the jury feels like murray was wrong but michael asked for it...
I'm sorry, but the PATIENT does not get to dictate to their doctor. (After 9/11, I asked my doctor for "something" to calm my nerves because I didn't want to travel by NYC subway. He told me NO, give it some time and I'd be fine. He was right, after a while, I WAS fine. That's how a REAL doctor acts, in my opinion.)

Murray was supposed to be in charge, not Michael. Michael Jackson was a lot of things, but he was NEVER a doctor, to my knowledge. I have no idea what Michael asked for, but IF he asked for Propofol, Murray should have said "NO, we will address your sleep issues with a specialist who deals with sleep issues."

And unless you have spoken to EVERY NON-FAN in America, your theory is moot, in my opinion.

)Murray was supposed to be in charge, not Michael. Michael Jackson was a lot of things, but he was NEVER a doctor, to my knowledge. I have no idea what Michael asked for, but IF he asked for Propofol, Murray should have said "NO, we will address your sleep issues with a specialist who deals with sleep issues."

Exactly. But the same can't be said when there's money involved. Doctors forget that their job, first and foremost, is to provide care for their patients.

you need to calm down.. Have you spoken to every non-fan? Most non-fans I know say the doctor is at fault. No credible, competent doctor gives anyone anesthesia at home period. And the trial is about whether or not Murray provided the proper standard of care, not if MJ asked for it. Murray could've easily said NO Mike, I will help you find a safer method with a sleep specialist.

Exactly. But the same can't be said when there's money involved. Doctors forget that their job, first and foremost, is to provide care for their patients.

well then he shouldn't be a doctor and that's why he should be convicted. That proves he's willing to forego his hippocratic oath for the almighty dollar, so he should never practice medicine again because he will kill again for the money.

I'm sorry but a patient not telling you what drugs they're taking like a lot of people do is not the same thing as giving someone propofol at their home and if the defence thinks that will wash then they're more deluded than I thought.

i guess it was mjs fault that murray sat on the ohone and didnt monitor his paitent and took at least 20 mins to call 911 aswell?

Hi you guys, sorry if this has already been mentioned. We are waiting for judge Pastor to return from chambers so I wanted to try to update everyone on todays events. I have a busy weekend so not sure when I'll be back. Idf the message gets cut short it's because court is going back in session.

Counsel is currently in judges chambers. They are discussing what judge Pastor said he did not want to call a leak to a media agency that is boasting they have all of the qwuestions to the questionaire. He also informed us earlier that there is something online claiming to be all of the questions but that it was fraudulent and did not have any. So apparently these are two diferent articles and possibly agencies.

The potential jurors are diverse in age I would say majority being 40 and above, caucasions. There were very few blacks. I could speculate less than ten and a good ratio of male and female.

2 potential jurors apparently raised their hands claiming they had not heard of the case. This was after being sworn in. The jury selection questionaires were issued in a different room than that of normal court proceeding. The court allowed 2 main media to be present and 6 selected from media and public from a lottery.

Some people seemed concerned about the time frame but the majority that I was able to view showed any concern or emotion when the judge mentioned the possible 45 days.

Judge Pastor had everyone introduce themselves from both sides of counsel and the potential jurors would say hi back to each person.

They are wanting to obtain 85 potential jurors to proceed and are not sure if it will go into tomorrow.

Potential jurors were given extensive orders concerning serving as a juror in which they could be held in contempt of court, have jail time or pay fines if they fail to comply. They were informed they will not be able to seek any money for interviews or book deals within 90 days after trial. Orders included no converations, tweets blogs, news etc. to be written or read by them. No investigations conducted by them or interviews gotten or given, no reception of cards from media for later contact. Not to visit the place involved and if accidentally passing by not to stop... They passed out copies concerning some things discussed.

All questions jurors are asked and answer will be made public per judge Pastor at some time after trial except their names.

Today they are determining willingness and ability to serve starting with a three page questionaire then later I presume the official 30 page questionaire will be given to those who are able.

I hope this helps any questions anyone may have.

Please remember to be prayerful. All you do, do so in love and welcome peace.

God bless!!!
Thank you very much for taking the time to keep us updated. Also the 2 potential jurors that said they never heard of this case....what do they do live under a rock ...I have a hard time believing that.

Back