Jury Selection / Jury Questionnaire (all threads merged)- April 7th - Jury Selection Day 3

Re: Jury Selection / Jury Questionnaire (all threads merged)

Now we know who was TMZ's source - Murray's publicist.

I'm glad that Judge Pastor is putting his foot down :)

Yes, I am too:). Hopefully that won't allow 'play dirty':mello:.

If Somone said this before,I'm saying this Now,Who The Hell has given this true cad of a thing money to travel and Hire People to work for him. A publicist ?,I didn't know he had one. He didn't have one while he was working for Mike And Now he fired His Publicist for the leaks to TMZ. UM ,Well, I would like to thank TMZ for letting us know through this person where Murray is and what he's doing. That's one thing they got right. What in the hell was his reason he came to New York where Janet was having her Booksignings and Concerts. Is He Stalking The Family of The Man He claimed he didn't kill ?The Jacksons better watchout for this guy,He is a Sneakybastard and a BigFat Liar. I Hope Dame Elizabeth and King Mike come into his dreams and Scare the HELL out of him.

On the first day of jury selection Thursday, nearly all of the 159 prospective jurors summoned to court told the judge that they had heard something about the case against Dr. Conrad Murray.

Only two potential panelists told Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael E. Pastor that they did not know anything about the case.

One hundred prospective jurors were released from the case and sent back in the jury pool for other cases after filling out questionnaires detailing whether it would be a financial hardship to serve on the case, which is expected to begin in earnest in early May and end by July 1.

Fifty-nine other potential jurors were asked to fill out a 27-page questionnaire that includes about 125 questions.

Nearly 170 other prospective panelists are due in court today for the same process.

Those who fill out questionnaires are expected to be asked to return to the downtown Los Angeles courthouse starting on May 4, when attorneys from both sides will begin questioning them.

Opening statements are scheduled for May 9.

http://www.bhcourier.com/article/Lo..._Jackons_Involuntary_Manslaughter_Trial/75299

------------------
AP Update for Today's jury selection

Jury selection resumes for doctor of Jackson
The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Scores of potential jurors have reported for hardship questioning, as the second day of jury selection begins in the trial of the doctor charged in Michael Jackson's death.

The 160 candidates were greeted Friday by the judge and attorneys in the case.

Only one woman raised her hand when Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor asked if anyone had not heard of the case against Dr. Conrad Murray.

Potential jurors are answering questions about their availability for the trial, which could take up to two months after opening statements begin in early May.

Murray has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter.

On Thursday, 59 people said they had the time to serve and were given a questionnaire of roughly 125 questions.

News story about Yesterday's jury selection

http://www.chicagodefender.com/article-10362-jury-selection-begins-in-la-for-jackson-doctor.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The judge's first question to the 159 prospective jurors in a Los Angeles courthouse was simple: How many of you have not heard about the case of the doctor accused in Michael Jackson's death?

First there was silence and then two lonely hands rose.

As jury selection began Thursday in the involuntary manslaughter trial of Dr. Conrad Murray, another, more complicated question became apparent: How will the judge shield jurors from the media circus that awaits, and help them do their duty?

"Real live cases are not scripted episodes of TV shows," Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor cautioned.

Murray, a towering 6-foot-5, stood and greeted the panelists with a soft, "Good morning, ladies and gentlemen," as he was introduced along with lawyers and prosecutors gathered in a jury assembly room.

Pastor mentioned the pop superstar once in his speech: "The alleged victim being Michael Jackson."

He warned the prospective jurors not to read blogs or the Internet and not to tweet. He refused to allow cameras in court during jury selection, though he will during testimony.

The selection process was so tightly guarded that prospects were not allowed to leave the jury room until they finished 29-page questionnaires that determine their eligibility, suitability and ability to serve.

Concerned that outsiders might try to reach the panelists, Pastor had his staff post signs in all elevators and courthouse hallways warning of the penalty for contacting jurors.

For the first time ever, the court catered lunch for the huge jury pool. The meal, the judge said, would not be "one of the great culinary experiences of your life," but would enable them to stay in one place.

Jackson's larger-than-life celebrity inevitably lingered during the process.

The usual group of dedicated fans lined up for a lottery giving out six public seats in the courtroom. They have vowed to be present at all proceedings and have been vocal outside court about blaming Murray for their idol's death.

Jackson's family did not attend the opening session, which was little more than a formality designed to screen prospective jurors for possible hardships that would prevent them from serving on a two-month trial.

By day's end, 100 of the prospective jurors were excused from serving in the case, but assigned to other trials.

Those who said they could serve were given forms with 125 questions to fill out. Typical juries for long trials include public employees, private employees who are paid for jury duty and retirees who don't have job pressures.

The form likely covers their knowledge of the case, their tastes in music, their relationships with their own doctors, their knowledge of prescription drugs and whether they have predetermined views about Murray's guilt or innocence.

The judge agreed to release the blank forms after they are filled out.

The case is expected to last up to two months once opening statements begin on May 9.

Good to know some fans were there showing MJ support..

I think it is not going to be easy finding a jury...so far that is only 3 people that have NOT heard of this case out of all of those people. Not only that but the financial hardship will be a big thing for alot of potential jurors...the times we live in are very difficult...I know Ivy that you said that corporations allow for jury duty pay...but in this day and age...how many people can afford to take that time. I just hope they find 12 people who are impartial to this case..

I think it is not going to be easy finding a jury...so far that is only 3 people that have NOT heard of this case out of all of those people. Not only that but the financial hardship will be a big thing for alot of potential jurors...the times we live in are very difficult...I know Ivy that you said that corporations allow for jury duty pay...but in this day and age...how many people can afford to take that time. I just hope they find 12 people who are impartial to this case..

some companies (like I said big cooperations) or government agencies pay the regular salaries even if you are on a jury duty.

for example I work at a state university (public school) and my employment conditions allows me to serve at a jury position with my regular pay.

furthermore it's illegal to fire anyone because of jury duty. so 59 out of 160 that could serve is not bad.

some companies (like I said big cooperations) or government agencies pay the regular salaries even if you are on a jury duty.

for example I work at a state university (public school) and my employment conditions allows me to serve at a jury position with my regular pay.

furthermore it's illegal to fire anyone because of jury duty. so 59 out of 160 that could serve is not bad.
Oh I see now..they will get the same rate of pay. I did know that a company couldn't fire you for having to serve jury duty ..it was the rate of pay that I didn't know about..thank you for that information. also...how do they know that 59 of those 160people would make good jurors?....It is probably right infront of my face and I am probably not reading it correctly..I have not been well lately..I will go back and reread..thank you Ivy.

Oh I see now..they will get the same rate of pay. I did know that a company couldn't fire you for having to serve jury duty ..it was the rate of pay that I didn't know about..thank you for that information. also...how do they know that 59 of those 160people would make good jurors?....It is probably right infront of my face and I am probably not reading it correctly..I have not been well lately..I will go back and reread..thank you Ivy.

it depends from organization to organization - some would cover all of your pay some can pay you partially or for a specific period of time and some wouldn't pay at all. so some working people would not have financial hardship.

similarly people not working such as housewifes and retirees couldn't be able to claim financial hardship.

they don't know if those 59 will make good jurors yet. That number is based on availability and ability to serve for 2 months. Probably today they will get another 50 or so people. So they would have 100+ people. They'll look to the answers they gave to the 125 questionnaire and then select the best.

In short they called around 320 people to ask them about their availability after today they will be left with probably 100+ people that can serve as a juror for 2 months. then they will select the most appropriate (best) 18 (12 main plus up to 6 alternates) people from that 100+ people based on their answers to questions and in person interviews.

it depends from organization to organization - some would cover all of your pay some can pay you partially or for a specific period of time and some wouldn't pay at all. so some working people would not have financial hardship.

similarly people not working such as housewifes and retirees couldn't be able to claim financial hardship.

they don't know if those 59 will make good jurors yet. That number is based on availability and ability to serve for 2 months. Probably today they will get another 50 or so people. So they would have 100+ people. They'll look to the answers they gave to the 125 questionnaire and then select the best.

In short they called around 320 people to ask them about their availability after today they will be left with probably 100+ people that can serve as a juror for 2 months. then they will select the most appropriate (best) 18 (12 main plus up to 6 alternates) people from that 100+ people.
ohhh..I understand now Ivy ..thank you...:hug:...sometimes things to be spelled out for me..:lmao:...

My job only pays for 10 days. After that, you get paid the state wage (I think $40/day). A workmate of mine was recently on a jury that went 9 days and they had it out in the jury room because she said she was not missing her wages. So they reached their verdict by the 9th day or else it was going to be a knockout fight (according to her :))

I certainly hope nothing like this happens. Once you start messing with people's pockets, they might not be as impartial. So I hope they take this into account.

Its always a difficult one. A friend of mine almost missed their final exams because he was called to jury service.

My job only pays for 10 days. After that, you get paid the state wage (I think $40/day). A workmate of mine was recently on a jury that went 9 days and they had it out in the jury room because she said she was not missing her wages. So they reached their verdict by the 9th day or else it was going to be a knockout fight (according to her :))

I certainly hope nothing like this happens. Once you start messing with people's pockets, they might not be as impartial. So I hope they take this into account.

I checked my handbook - I am a "state employee" like I said. There's no time limit on my jury duty. It classifies it as a "Civil Leave". It just says that I cannot get paid / accept payment from court for jury duty and if I do then it must be classified as an "Annual Leave or Leave without pay". (they are aiming to stop double pay).

So I assume state / government / federal employees can do any length of juror duty without financial hardship in US, what do you say ginvid?

Oh really :/ I really hope nothing like this happens...

Hi guys,

I'm at the court house trying to see if jury selections/questionaires will go beyond today. So far they are unsure. If they do not reach the amount judge Pastor considers adequate then per in chambers transcipts he would seek to continue two weeks from yesterday.

The group today was comprised of a younger majority than yesterday I'd say in their 30s and 40s. The group seemed to be a larger mix of minorties as well but still very few blacks.

Conrad Murray did not seem to be in need of tissues as much as he did yesterday since as yet I haven't noticed him with one. It seems he must be required to stay at the court house during the whole selection because after leavi
ng and returning from lunch a short while ago I saw him emerge from the office area of the back of the court room.

I'll try to give you all a count once the numbers are known but my cedll battery is a little low.
Lindsey and Ivy , you're very welcome! Thank you!

God bless!!!

Proceedings just ended for the day. Judge Pastor has decided to continue on The 7th of April at 8:30 a.m. to continue questionaire selections.
The next hearing is Mon. at 1:30p.m.

Hi guys,

I'm at the court house trying to see if jury selections/questionaires will go beyond today. So far they are unsure. If they do not reach the amount judge Pastor considers adequate then per in chambers transcipts he would seek to continue two weeks from yesterday.

The group today was comprised of a younger majority than yesterday I'd say in their 30s and 40s. The group seemed to be a larger mix of minorties as well but still very few blacks.

Conrad Murray did not seem to be in need of tissues as much as he did yesterday since as yet I haven't noticed him with one. It seems he must be required to stay at the court house during the whole selection because after leavi
ng and returning from lunch a short while ago I saw him emerge from the office area of the back of the court room.

I'll try to give you all a count once the numbers are known but my cedll battery is a little low.
Lindsey and Ivy , you're very welcome! Thank you!

God bless!!!
thankyou so much for your updates..

Judge gets details of online 'bogus' scoop in Michael Jackson case

JURY SELECTION

.cnnFBRecBtn { width: 295px; float: right; margin: 5px 0pt; clear: both; }.cnnFBRecBtnBot { width: 420px; margin: 30px 0pt 15px 186px; }.cnn_strycntntlft { clear: both; }.fb_edge_widget_with_comment { position: relative; }.fb_iframe_widget { display: inline-block; position: relative; }.fb_iframe_widget span { position: relative; }

March 24, 2011|By Alan Duke, CNN
pixel.gif

Dr. Conrad Murray is accused of involuntary manslaughter in the death of pop star Michael Jackson.

The judge overseeing the trial of Dr. Conrad Murray -- Michael Jackson's doctor -- pulled back the curtain a bit Thursday on the sometimes surprising ability of celebrity news website TMZ to publish confidential court documents.
In this case, the judge called the scoop "bogus."
The transcript of a closed-door meeting Thursday morning between Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor and the lawyers in the Murray trial revealed a "media company" hired by the defense leaked "draft questions" proposed for the jury questionnaire to
Potential jurors were given the 29-page questionnaire during the first day of jury selection Thursday in the trial of Murray, who is accused of involuntary manslaughter in Michael Jackson's death.
"I'm sure it wasn't out of someone's good heart that someone decided to provide this i"This is what happens when there are people out there willing to make a buck," Judge Pastor said, according to the transcript obtained by CNN. nformation on the eve of jury selection."
Pastor is not the first judge to rant about TMZ's aggressive tactics in gaining access to court secrets. The judge handling the Lindsay Lohan theft case recently suggested the CIA could learn from TMZ.
Efforts by CNN Thursday to reach a spokesman for TMZ for comment were not immediately successful.
Judge Pastor, in open court at the beginning of the day, said he was disturbed to see the online report Wednesday afternoon because of "the potential for mischief that happens, and the real potential for skewing information and impacting juries with areas of concern that they feel they might have to answer a certain way."
He called defense and prosecution lawyers into his chambers to discuss the leak.
Defense lawyer Ed Chernoff, according to the transcript, said after some checking he realized the five questions published by TMZ were the same questions submitted to him by a "media company" he hired.
"One of the employees has leaked those questions," Chernoff said. "Now, I mean, obviously, they are fired."
TMZ attributed the information to "sources who have seen the jury questionnaire."
While TMZ did obtain inside information, they were only "draft questions," he said.
"None of those questions, thankfully in retrospect, made it to the jury questionnaire," Chernoff said.
The judge dropped the matter, calling it "history." He said he believed the defense lawyers' explanation that they were not responsible for the leak.
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-03-24/...e-potential-jurors-jury-selection?_s=PM:CRIME

The judge dropped the matter, calling it "history." He said he believed the defense lawyers' explanation that they were not responsible for the leak.

Not responsible my butt! :rolleyes:

Not responsible my ass

AP Update

Search for Jury Extended in Case of Jackson Doctor

Judge extends search for jury in trial of doctor accused in death of Michael Jackson
BY LINDA DEUTSCH AP SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT

A judge concerned about finding enough jurors for the trial of Michael Jackson's doctor extended the search Friday, even after clearing 147 people who said they could spare the time for the anticipated two-month case.

Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor took the action after more than half of the 340 prospective jurors summoned Thursday for the trial of Dr. Conrad Murray were excused for hardships related to the length of the trial.

Pastor also suggested to lawyers in his chambers that an initial glance at jury questionnaires indicated many candidates might have to be eliminated because of strong views on the issues involved in the case.

Only three of the people in the first jury pool indicated they didn't know anything about the case.

The trial of Murray, a Houston cardiologist who has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter, is expected to draw worldwide attention.

Friday, Pastor emerged from a second day of meetings with lawyers in his chambers to screen written hardship forms and said, "I have to conclude we simply do not have a sufficient number of prescreened jurors. We do need an additional day of hardship screening."

Pastor ordered another pool of prospective jurors to be summoned for April 7. In-person jury selection is set for May 4. The judge told prospects to expect to serve until July 1.

Murray is accused of gross negligence in the death of the pop superstar who died of an overdose of the anesthetic propofol complicated by other sedatives.

The 50-year-old Jackson had been using propofol as a sleeping aid, according to testimony at a preliminary hearing earlier this year. The drug is not intended for home use and is usually given for surgery.

The doctor was introduced to prospective jurors and bid them good morning before they filled out their questionnaires. They showed no reaction and appeared to know beforehand which case they had been called for.

I knew they were gonna have a hard time trying to find an adequate Jury....I wonder in what direction these jurors are leaning??...That is the important question.

I knew they were gonna have a hard time trying to find an adequate Jury....I wonder in what direction these jurors are leaning??...That is the important question.

we'll get a better understanding when they unseal the questionnaire

we'll get a better understanding when they unseal the questionnaire
I hope so..but they have to find more jury members first..and by the looks of it ..its not gonna be easy...eww April 7th,,,thats the date of my sisters 5 year passing...I will be under a blanket on that day...:(..

I hope so..but they have to find more jury members first..and by the looks of it ..its not gonna be easy...eww April 7th,,,thats the date of my sisters 5 year passing...I will be under a blanket on that day...:(..

sorry to hear of your sister- :hug:

*hugs...*..

Judge gets details of online 'bogus' scoop in Michael Jackson case

JURY SELECTION

.cnnFBRecBtn { width: 295px; float: right; margin: 5px 0pt; clear: both; }.cnnFBRecBtnBot { width: 420px; margin: 30px 0pt 15px 186px; }.cnn_strycntntlft { clear: both; }.fb_edge_widget_with_comment { position: relative; }.fb_iframe_widget { display: inline-block; position: relative; }.fb_iframe_widget span { position: relative; }

March 24, 2011|By Alan Duke, CNN
pixel.gif

Dr. Conrad Murray is accused of involuntary manslaughter in the death of pop star Michael Jackson.

The judge overseeing the trial of Dr. Conrad Murray -- Michael Jackson's doctor -- pulled back the curtain a bit Thursday on the sometimes surprising ability of celebrity news website TMZ to publish confidential court documents.
In this case, the judge called the scoop "bogus."
The transcript of a closed-door meeting Thursday morning between Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor and the lawyers in the Murray trial revealed a "media company" hired by the defense leaked "draft questions" proposed for the jury questionnaire to
Potential jurors were given the 29-page questionnaire during the first day of jury selection Thursday in the trial of Murray, who is accused of involuntary manslaughter in Michael Jackson's death.
"I'm sure it wasn't out of someone's good heart that someone decided to provide this i"This is what happens when there are people out there willing to make a buck," Judge Pastor said, according to the transcript obtained by CNN. nformation on the eve of jury selection."
Pastor is not the first judge to rant about TMZ's aggressive tactics in gaining access to court secrets. The judge handling the Lindsay Lohan theft case recently suggested the CIA could learn from TMZ.
Efforts by CNN Thursday to reach a spokesman for TMZ for comment were not immediately successful.
Judge Pastor, in open court at the beginning of the day, said he was disturbed to see the online report Wednesday afternoon because of "the potential for mischief that happens, and the real potential for skewing information and impacting juries with areas of concern that they feel they might have to answer a certain way."
He called defense and prosecution lawyers into his chambers to discuss the leak.
Defense lawyer Ed Chernoff, according to the transcript, said after some checking he realized the five questions published by TMZ were the same questions submitted to him by a "media company" he hired.
"One of the employees has leaked those questions," Chernoff said. "Now, I mean, obviously, they are fired."
TMZ attributed the information to "sources who have seen the jury questionnaire."
While TMZ did obtain inside information, they were only "draft questions," he said.
"None of those questions, thankfully in retrospect, made it to the jury questionnaire," Chernoff said.
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-03-24/...e-potential-jurors-jury-selection?_s=PM:CRIME

What I want to know is Where is this quak MURRAY'S mUG shOT?!!! By the looks of his face...Who has insomnia now? How about some propofol for YOU muRRay??? :ermm:

Back