Kai Chase - odd testimony

jrsfan

Proud Member
Kai after she goes & gets Prince (somethings wrong with your father!)for Murray she goes back to work??? Nobody would do that unless she had to get rid of something or turn a boiling pot off, but that would take seconds. That is why she didn't know that Prince & Paris had gone upstairs, is my speculation. Not calling security, just Prince is wierd too. She didn't have time though because she had to go back to work to get rid of something is my speculation. You have any other ideas?

Page 362

DR. MURRAY CAME DOWN THE STAIRWELL THAT LED

13 INTO THE KITCHEN PARTIALLY, IN A PANIC AND SCREAMED TO

14 GET HELP, TO GET PRINCE, AND TO CALL FOR SECURITY.

15 Q WHAT DID YOU DO?

16 A I IMMEDIATELY DROPPED WHAT I WAS DOING AND

17 RAN INTO THE DEN WHERE THE CHILDREN WERE PLAYING AND WENT

18 TO GO GET PRINCE.

19 Q WHAT DID YOU SAY TO PRINCE?

20 A I SAID TO PRINCE, "HURRY. DR. MURRAY IS

21 ASKING FOR YOU. I THINK THERE MAY BE SOMETHING WRONG

22 WITH YOUR DAD."

23 Q WHAT DID YOU SEE PRINCE DO?

24 A PRINCE AND I THEN CAME TOGETHER BACK INTO THE

25 KITCHEN, RUNNING INTO THE KITCHEN. PRINCE WENT TO GO TO

26 DR. MURRAY, AND I WENT BACK TO WORK.

Page 378

12 Q THEN WHAT DID YOU DO, MA'AM?

13 A PRINCE AND I RAN BACK INTO THE KITCHEN, AND I

14 PROCEEDED TO GO BACK TO MY WORK.

15 Q WHAT ABOUT THE PART WHERE HE SAID TO CALL

16 SECURITY. WHY DID YOU DECIDE NOT TO DO THAT?

17 A PRINCE WAS IN MY EYESIGHT.

No i don't think so... She doesn't have the authority to let the security in the house anyway.

dat's what security are for though u need em u go get em!! asap!

No i don't think so... She doesn't have the authority to let the security in the house anyway.

Of course she does, that's common sense. It was an emergency.

And you don't get back to your work.

No she didn't have the authority to let them in. The security guard had to call Michael Amir Williams to get into the house. N what was she supposed to do?? She isn't allowed upstairs either. N she probably didn't think the situation was at the magnitude it was either.

No she didn't have the authority to let them in. The security guard had to call Michael Amir Williams to get into the house. N what was she supposed to do?? She isn't allowed upstairs either. N she probably didn't think the situation was at the magnitude it was either.

Here is what she said on LKL:
link:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0907/30/lkl.01.html

CHASE: Yes, exactly. So around 12:00, 12:05, 12:10, Dr. Murray comes down the stairs. There was a stairwell that leads into the kitchen. And he's screaming, hurry. Go get Prince. Call security. Get Prince. So I...

KING: Prince is?

CHASE: Michael Jackson's eldest son. And he -- so I -- I drop everything that -- that I'm doing and I run into the den, which is very close to the kitchen. And I go get Prince. And Prince and I run back. And, you know, he meets Dr. Murray at the stairs. Prince stays with -- downstairs with us and Dr. Murray goes up the stairs with -- but within minutes, the paramedics are there. And the security is running upstairs, skipping stairs and all of a sudden we're all, you know, panicked -- you know, what's going on?

What's happening?

So the energy in the house had kind of just kind of changed from that happy kind of day that we were having and preparing lunch and having a good time to just kind of eerie.

KING: Well, what were the kids doing when this was going on?

What were they saying?

Were they...

CHASE: The -- the daughter, she says -- Paris, she starts screaming, "Daddy. Daddy. Daddy."

We all started, you know, crying and...

KING: You knew something was wrong with Michael?

CHASE: So we knew something was wrong.

KING: Right.

CHASE: Something was wrong. And -- and she's screaming, "Daddy," and starts crying. And then we started crying and we all come together in unity in a circle and we started holding hands. And we started praying, you know, God please let Mr. Jackson...

KING: You knew it was deadly bad?

CHASE: I didn't know what. I just had a feeling that something...

KING: You knew it was real serious?

CHASE: ...that something was very serious.

KING: The doctor first relayed that you by the way he came down the stairs?

CHASE: By the way he came down the stairs.

It was an emergency & she knew it - you do not go back to work>:doh:

Last edited:
I remember seeing that interview with Kai on LKL. At the time, I felt that something was missing.
Now I think that what she did not say during that interview, is the part when Prince and Paris go upstairs. Maybe she didn't want to draw the attention to them at the time.

I remember seeing that interview with Kai on LKL. At the time, I felt that something was missing.
Now I think that what she did not say during that interview, is the part when Prince and Paris go upstairs. Maybe she didn't want to draw the attention to them at the time.

Honestly, I don't know how she couldn't have at least heard P & P crying, - she said twice she went back to work. Maybe she went to her car? "special bond" with the children - obviously not.

Last edited:
I think kai Chase is fool of crap...she knows ALOT more than what she is saying...all that commotion going on and she goes back to work???...yeah right...she may get away with her lie now..but eventually...the truth of what she knows will come out.

xthunderx2;3307145 said:
I think kai Chase is fool of crap...she knows ALOT more than what she is saying...all that commotion going on and she goes back to work???...yeah right...she may get away with her lie now..but eventually...the truth of what she knows will come out.

I certainly hope so.

Here is the AP article:

Here is the story from the source the AP:
Jackson chef recalls doctor's role, final days

AP – Kai Chase, Michael Jackson's personal chef, is photographed in Beverly Hills, Calif. on Tuesday, July …
By LINDA DEUTSCH, AP Special Correspondent – Wed Jul 29, 6:44 am ET
LOS ANGELES – On the day Michael Jackson died, his personal chef says her first hint of something amiss was when his doctor didn't come downstairs to get the juices and granola he routinely brought the King of Pop for breakfast each morning.
Kai Chase, a professionally trained chef hired by Jackson to maintain a healthy food regimen, recalled in an interview with The Associated Press the singer's final days. She also spoke about the role of his personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, who is now the focus of a manslaughter investigation.
Chase said Tuesday that she had gotten used to seeing Murray coming and going from the mansion. The doctor usually arrived about 9 or 9:30 p.m. and would go upstairs to Jackson's room, and she said she would not see him again before she left — sometimes late in the evening — but understood he was staying the night.
In the morning, when she arrived for work, Chase said she would see the doctor coming down the steps carrying oxygen tanks. When Murray didn't come downstairs the morning of June 25, "I thought maybe Mr. Jackson is sleeping late," Chase said.
"I started preparing the lunch and then I looked at my cell phone and it was noon. About 12:05 or 12:10 Dr. Murray runs down the steps and screams, 'Go get Prince!' He's screaming very loud. I run into the den where the kids are playing. Prince (Jackson's oldest son) runs to meet Dr. Murray and from that point on you could feel the energy in the house change.
"I walked into the hall and I saw the children there. The daughter was crying. I saw paramedics running up the stairs."
At that point, Chase said, the small group that was gathered — the children, their nanny, a housekeeper and Chase — held hands and began to pray. As paramedics raced up to the room, Chase recalls, "We were all praying, 'Help Mr. Jackson be O.K.'
"Then everyone was very quiet."
At about 1:30 p.m. she said security guards told her and other staff to leave the property because "Mr. Jackson was being taken to the hospital."
When she came outside, she said, ambulances were in the courtyard and a crowd had gathered.
Chase, 37, who has cooked for other celebrities and comes from a show-business family, was hired by Jackson in March, let go in May, then returned on June 2. She said the pop star's focus was on fresh, healthy food for him and the children.
She said she prepared meals for the family and occasionally for Murray. She said Jackson was in training for his upcoming shows in London and told her: "You have to take care of me."
On most days, she said, Murray would bring Jackson the special fruit juice drinks Chase prepared for him, followed by granola with almond milk. For lunch, Jackson would eat with the children from a menu that included such things as spinach salad and chicken.
Murray sometimes joined them for dinner, which might be a seared ahi tuna. She said the doctor conferred with her about the 50-year-old pop singer's food and made sure that he ate.
The only oddity was the oxygen tanks. Chase said she never asked about the purpose of the oxygen and she saw no sign that Jackson was on drugs or was in failing health.
"Normally in the morning, he would bring oxygen tanks from upstairs downstairs, one in each hand," she said.
Authorities searched Murray's Las Vegas home and medical office Tuesday as part of an investigation that included raids last week of his clinic and storage in Houston.
With toxicology reports pending, investigators are working under the theory that the powerful anesthetic propofol caused Jackson's heart to stop, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press. Murray told investigators he regularly administered the drug to help Jackson sleep, and had done so sometime in the early morning of June 25, according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.
Propofol is supposed to be administered only in monitored medical settings by trained personnel; the official told AP that Murray left the bedroom and returned to find the star unresponsive. Police have said Murray is cooperating and have not labeled him a suspect, and his lawyer, Edward Chernoff, has said the doctor "didn't prescribe or administer anything that should have killed Michael Jackson."
Like Murray, Chase said she was hired to accompany Jackson to London for his comeback concerts and the request was personally made to her by his 12-year-old son, Prince Michael II.
"Prince said, 'Daddy wants me to tell you he wants you to go to London with us,'" she recalled. "I said, 'Tell your daddy that I'm pleased and honored."
She said she had already filled out paperwork and submitted a copy of her passport to the Jackson staff and expected to leave for London on July 3.
On June 23, she said Jackson told her: "I'm packed and I'm ready to go." Two days later, he was dead.
It was the end of her dream job and an idyllic time in Chase's life, a time that had begun in March with a call from Jackson's assistant, Michael Williams. She was told that "a client" wanted her services as personal chef but she was not told the client was Jackson until she was hired.
"I couldn't believe it," she said. "I asked him if I was on 'Candid Camera.' I said, 'Am I being punked?'"
She said Jackson had seen her resume which included jobs cooking for Macy Gray and Jamie Fox as well as catering a fund raiser for President Barack Obama. She said he also knew she was from a multiracial background and her godfather was Redd Foxx.
But before she started she had to pass muster with three other people: the Jackson children.
"I came to the house and the first people I met were the kids. They started interviewing me," she said. "They told me: 'We're into healthy eating."
When they approved her, she went to work and "We developed a really great bond."
Most days, she said, Jackson made a point of having both lunch and dinner with the children, Prince, 11-year-old Paris; and 7-year-old Prince Michael II, known as Blanket, and each meal was preceded by Paris saying grace. After weeks of healthy food, she said she wrote Jackson a note with a suggestion:
"I said, 'What about doing comfort-food Saturdays? We could do barbecued chicken and corn on the cob, maybe Mexican food or soul food.'" She said he loved the idea, but as the concerts approached, healthy eating returned full time.
"He said, 'I'm a dancer,' and he wanted food that would not make him cramp up while he was dancing."
She now treasures little notes she received from the children and from Jackson and a present he gave her.
"One day he handed me a little gift bag and said, 'This is for you from me and the children.' He had given me an iPod Touch because the children told him I still had a Walkman. It had the 25th anniversary 'Thriller' album loaded on it."
She said she has visited with the children since Jackson's death and they are doing well. "They have so many cousins to play with."
As for Chase's future, she said Jackson encouraged her to write a cookbook and she has written one tentatively titled, "Fit for a King." It includes recipes she cooked for Jackson and the story of the time she worked for him.
"He was an inspiration to me," she said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090729/...l_jackson_chef

Another Kai Chase interview at 1:22 & 3:42:

Note: at 5:01
Ben Evenstad states "the photographer that was onsite called me at 12:30 - an ambulance went into the house" - Ben says he got there at 12:40. Wonder what their hours were?

Last edited:
Another Kai Chase interview at 1:22 & 3:42:

Note: at 5:01
Ben Evenstad states "the photographer that was onsite called me at 12:30 - an ambulance went into the house" - Ben says he got there at 12:40. Wonder what their hours were?
what stands out to me bout this video is this..when they are asking did the doctor see what happend??...all of a sudden it was inaudible....the person on that phone OR Murray was NOT going to answer that question...by that time Murray already had Alverez hiding shit..he KNEW he killed Michael.

all that commotion going on and she goes back to work???...yeah right...

I wouldn't generalize as what is acceptable behavior because people respond differently to emergency situations. some freeze, some cry, some become robotic doing what they are told without thinking, some try to avoid it, some become curious and try to see everything and some can stay calm and function.

I wouldn't generalize as what is acceptable behavior because people respond differently to emergency situations. some freeze, some cry, some become robotic doing what they are told without thinking, some try to avoid it, some become curious and try to see everything and some can stay calm and function.
you are right Ivy everyone reacts differently in different situations..however...I have always believed that there was MORE to Kai Chase than she is telling....she knows more..I know she does...she just pretended NOT to notice because she didn't want to get fired..because as she has said...the help knew what their boundaries were and they didn't overstep them. Also I have a feeling she didn't want to get dragged into this case anymore than need be...so she figured if she stuck with this story then she would be in the clear. It is impossible to work in a house such as she was and NOT notice anything going on around you on a daily basis whether she admits it or not.

Although there may be some differences in the way people react in an emergency - hers was definitely out of the ordinary. There were children crying upstairs - how could she not have heard that, even in a big house? How could she not have called security when she said the atmosphere in the house changed? Why did she not ask about calling 911? I think it is because she had to do something & she knew she wouldn't be able to do it later.

Interesting, I stumble back to this thread after Alberto states that Kai unlocked the door for him and Kai is now on the stand....

I see fans at the time were stating Kai does not have authority to unlock the door.. UM!!! now proven wrong I wonder what some fans would say. I mean too often fans think they are the authority of knowledge of everything surrounding Michael and state things as fact.. It would not bother me as much if the same fans did not attack tabloides for doing the same type of thing TOWARDS Michael.

We have to understand that we do not know everything about Michael and how things opporate, so we need to stop getting mad at everyone that says something different that what we believe.

The important question to ask here is why Murray thought it appropriate to involve Kai Chase, a cook with no medical expertise whatsoever, in an emergency situation where his patient was on the verge of death (if not already dead) instead of calling 911/paramedics. The other question is in relation to Alvarez--why was he, and not Murray, the one to call 911? A security guard has more common sense than a medic?

The defence was trying to do to Chase what they tried to do with Alvarez--make them appear incompetent, when the fault does not lie in their field, but rather, in Murray's. Neither Chase nor Alvarez are medical experts--whatever they could tell 911 would be of secondary importance compared to the information Murray could have given them had he chosen to call the proper authorities instead of screwing around.

So, the testimony might seem odd in that she just chose to go back to work, but the oddest bit out of this entire situation is doubtlessly Murray's behaviour. An explanation for Chase's detachment could be that she did not know what to do and did not want to get in the way of those who had a better idea of what was happening, which explains why she merely followed Murray's instructions (get Prince) and returned to work.

The oddest thing to the lay man would be Murray's request for Prince. Why go fetch Prince instead of 911? What could Prince possibly do to help the situation? The answer--nothing, or everything, depending upon how you look at it. If what you are trying to do is save Michael Jackson's life, Prince's presence would prove utterly useless, indeed perhaps even counterproductive, to that endeavour.

However, if you're attempting to cover your tracks, Prince is your golden goose. He bears the importance simply in his position as Michael Jackson's son, and his age and lack of expertise in medical matters place him in such a position that he could theoretically be highly malleable to suit Murray's purpose. That is to say, if Prince sees Murray doing something, regardless of whether the procedure is correctly carried out or not (i.e. administering CPR), he would say he saw Murray doing "something" to help Michael--he would have no way of knowing what Murray's true intentions were, and no way to verify whether or not Murray's course of action was appropriate/effective.

The ultimate value, however, is in the fact that he's Michael's son. A jury is more likely to be sympathetic to the defendant if the victim's own son says he saw him "helping out", than if someone who is not as close to the victim said such a thing (or said anything to the contrary, for that matter).

The important question to ask here is why Murray thought it appropriate to involve Kai Chase, a cook with no medical expertise whatsoever, in an emergency situation where his patient was on the verge of death (if not already dead) instead of calling 911/paramedics. The other question is in relation to Alvarez--why was he, and not Murray, the one to call 911? A security guard has more common sense than a medic?

The defence was trying to do to Chase what they tried to do with Alvarez--make them appear incompetent, when the fault does not lie in their field, but rather, in Murray's. Neither Chase nor Alvarez are medical experts--whatever they could tell 911 would be of secondary importance compared to the information Murray could have given them had he chosen to call the proper authorities instead of screwing around.

So, the testimony might seem odd in that she just chose to go back to work, but the oddest bit out of this entire situation is doubtlessly Murray's behaviour. An explanation for Chase's detachment could be that she did not know what to do and did not want to get in the way of those who had a better idea of what was happening, which explains why she merely followed Murray's instructions (get Prince) and returned to work.

The oddest thing to the lay man would be Murray's request for Prince. Why go fetch Prince instead of 911? What could Prince possibly do to help the situation? The answer--nothing, or everything, depending upon how you look at it. If what you are trying to do is save Michael Jackson's life, Prince's presence would prove utterly useless, indeed perhaps even counterproductive, to that endeavour.

However, if you're attempting to cover your tracks, Prince is your golden goose. He bears the importance simply in his position as Michael Jackson's son, and his age and lack of expertise in medical matters place him in such a position that he could theoretically be highly malleable to suit Murray's purpose. That is to say, if Prince sees Murray doing something, regardless of whether the procedure is correctly carried out or not (i.e. administering CPR), he would say he saw Murray doing "something" to help Michael--he would have no way of knowing what Murray's true intentions were, and no way to verify whether or not Murray's course of action was appropriate/effective.

The ultimate value, however, is in the fact that he's Michael's son. A jury is more likely to be sympathetic to the defendant if the victim's own son says he saw him "helping out", than if someone who is not as close to the victim said such a thing (or said anything to the contrary, for that matter).

Thanks for stating what many of us are thinking already.

I didn't get to watch Kai's testimony, but I'm not too concerned with the fact that she went back to work. It sounds like she knew something was wrong, based on the way Murray was acting. If I understand correctly, she did not know how serious the situation was. Also, it sounds like the employees at the house were very careful to respect boundaries and the privacy of Michael and his children. It makes sense to me that she would stay out of a situation that had nothing to do with her.

Has the nanny ever talked? Was she just with Blanket while everything was happening?

In this thread, someone said that Kai let Alberto into the house. I thought that the nanny let him in?

I agree. I did think it was weird when I heard her say she went back to work, but everyone reacts differently. She knew something was wrong but didn't know exactly what and Kai was probably nervous and decided that going about "business as usual" was the best thing at the time for her to do.

Either way, she's not to blame here.

As I keep saying and will keep saying, Michael had already been DEAD long before Kai or anyone else was alerted by Murray to call for help.

There's nothing she could have done for MJ at that point as he was already long dead before the Paramedics got there.

The one who is at fault in this case is Murray.

THANK YOU!!! You beat me to the punch on that one, because in an obvious emergency situation, you throw protocol out of the window and act immediately! Also, you don't send a CHILD into a chaotic situation where you see the DOCTOR freaking out. You send an ADULT up there and get the children out of the way (the nanny was there, other household staff were there and they could've distracted the children by taking them to another room). Those poor babies didn't need to be traumatized like that, seeing their father frantically being worked on, a catheter condom attached to him and IV bags and sh*t! I'm sorry, but I had to agree with the defense attorney questioning her common sense (or lack thereof) in that situation. She irked me to the nth degree as well as her "I was just following orders" response. Wow...... *disgusted*

Yep that angered me bout prince being called into the room and im appalled that grown adults actually did that.

I see it like this..

she got Prince as the dr told her to.. (she did not know what was upstairs at the time so she cant be faulted since she didnt know the true purpose)

Afterwords she prayed with them and went back to work (to me that shows to the children to keep faith, and by getting back to work shows the children stability and calms them)

Its proven that when something tramatic is going on, around children keep things as normal as possible so they can remain calm nd stable.. Im thankful they were around something as normal to regular proceedures as possible considering the circumstance. the LAST thing to do was to show a panic alertness which would only panic the children.. in my opinion in was responsible what she did considering what she knew and the order she knew what was going on.. she fallowed what she was told

THANK YOU!!! You beat me to the punch on that one, because in an obvious emergency situation, you throw protocol out of the window and act immediately! Also, you don't send a CHILD into a chaotic situation where you see the DOCTOR freaking out. You send an ADULT up there and get the children out of the way (the nanny was there, other household staff were there and they could've distracted the children by taking them to another room). Those poor babies didn't need to be traumatized like that, seeing their father frantically being worked on, a catheter condom attached to him and IV bags and sh*t! I'm sorry, but I had to agree with the defense attorney questioning her common sense (or lack thereof) in that situation. She irked me to the nth degree as well as her "I was just following orders" response. Wow...... *disgusted*

You are aware she didn't know that Michael was in that position? Also Murray is a doctor, why would Kai questioned him? As far as she knew, Michael could had been hurt, but it wasn't so bad that Murray couldn't handle it himself and just needed extra help. After all, why would Murray call Prince if Michael was in mortal danger?

Really, it's easy for you to go and judge what she should or shouldn't had done because you know what happened. Kai didn't have that advantage on the day of question because she trusted Murray and had no reason to undermine him.

You are aware she didn't know that Michael was in that position? Also Murray is a doctor, why would Kai questioned him? As far as she knew, Michael could had been hurt, but it wasn't so bad that Murray couldn't handle it himself and just needed extra help. After all, why would Murray call Prince if Michael was in mortal danger?

Really, it's easy for you to go and judge what she should or shouldn't had done because you know what happened. Kai didn't have that advantage on the day of question because she trusted Murray and had no reason to undermine him.

She didn't need to know the details to see that the situation was serious, seeing Murray panicked (and yelling, HELLO) was a huge red flag and sending a child into that confusion wouldn't be and wasn't practicing common sense. I've dealt with intense emergency situations in my life and had to act immediately and logically, putting emotion aside. Of course, you wouldn't know that because it's easy for you to be hypocritical and "judge" me, but it's all good. Whatever helps you sleep better at night.

That was not something a child should've had to deal with as there were plenty of adults that were available to think of their well being and shielding them as much as possible from the chaos.

Last edited:
I don't understand why the defense would question Kai's "common sense" for sending Prince when she didn't know what was happening upstairs, and their client, who knew exactly what was happening, asked for him! Who's lacking common sense here, Kai or Murray?

Back