Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

Re: Madonna

Lourdes is SO beautiful.

I just recently got into Madonna and I bought her Celebration album. I love her, she's so great. My favourite song has to be Vogue.

Lourdes is SO beautiful.

I just recently got into Madonna and I bought her Celebration album. I love her, she's so great. My favourite song has to be Vogue.

That's a great place to start! I would continue by buying her albums from newest and on down the line. Start with Hard Candy, listen and devour... and then on to Confessions On A Dance Floor, American Life, and down to Music... you get the point. I think you'll really have a nice time getting to know her and hearing the diversity in her music and lyrics.

I'd start with Like A Prayer, True Blue for the most accessible albums. Although I'm not a fan, many love Ray Of Light. I adore American Life, Hard Candy and Erotica although they are her worst sellers.

I'd rather start off with listening to the 80s music and just buying every CD I see. LMFAO.

I saw the Take A Bow video and omg, she is so beautiful! I would spend 5 hrs getting half as pretty.

And if she tours and comes to the UK, I'm getting tickets. I missed Michael, I'm not missing Madonna.

And if she tours and comes to the UK, I'm getting tickets. I missed Michael, I'm not missing Madonna.

That's exactly what I said to myself when she came to my country. It was a few months after Michael passed and when she did the tribute it was emotional. Michael performed on the same stage in 1993.. :(

I'd start with Like A Prayer, True Blue for the most accessible albums. Although I'm not a fan, many love Ray Of Light. I adore American Life, Hard Candy and Erotica although they are her worst sellers.
Well, of course, she should definitely check out Madonna's older albums as well. Ray of Light is heralded as one of the best albums, period - but it has never been one of my all-time favorites either. Still, I would recommend a listen.

Her worst sellers but successful in their own right! Well, more so American Life and Hard Candy given the time and climate. I'd especially say Hard Candy since it was a top 10 best selling album worldwide and albums sales are nearly non-existent (given a rare exception here and there). So, yeah, technically Madonna's lowest sellers but compared with the competition, not really a low at all. Not to mention that Madonna has a lot riding against her in this day and age; she's aging and the music audience keeps getting younger (and let's not forget that the record industry sucks!).

Just wanted to say that. :p

It took me a while to love that song. It was only when she did it live on Reinvention that I started to love it.

Her 90s and 00s albums have some of her best work.

It took me a while to love that song. It was only when she did it live on Reinvention that I started to love it.

Her 90s and 00s albums have some of her best work.

Agree. I'm a much bigger fan of her modern work. The 80's definitely had pop gems, but as Madonna matured, so did her work and so the music became more important, more sophisticated, and more of an album artist rather than a singles artist.

I made a Top 100 Michael Jackson songs thread once and said I doubt there's any other artist I could do it for, so I've done one for my second favourite act. I won't lie, it was slightly harder than doing MJ when I got to 75-100 as with Mike I could choose Jacksons & J5 songs, but it still shows what an incredible body of work Madonna's achieved.

Not bad for someone who only uses sex to sell herself.

As with Mike, this order will change daily.

Rank Song
1 Like A Prayer
2 Music
3 Mother And Father
4 Candy Shop
5 American Life
6  Don't Tell Me
7 Erotica
8 Hung Up
9 Beat Goes On
10 Rain
11 Vogue
12 Nothing Fails
13 Keep It Together
14 Justify My Love
15 Burning Up
16 Ray Of Light
17 Secret
18 She's Not Me
19 Express Yourself
20 Take A Bow
21 Voices
22 Borderline
23 Bye Bye Baby
24 Bad Girl
25  Deeper And Deeper
26  Die Another Day
27 One More Chance
28  Dress You Up
29  Drowned World/Substitute For Love
30 Jump
31 Everybody
32 I Want You
33 Miles Away
34 Four Minutes
35 Papa Don't Preach
36 Frozen
37 Causing A Commotion
38 Give It 2 Me
39 Revolver
40 Hanky Panky
41 Holiday
42 Hollywood
43 Spanish Lesson
44 You Must Love Me
45 Into The Groove
46 La Isla Bonita
47 Gambler
48 Cherish
49 Live To Tell
50 Love Profusion
51 Lucky Star
52 Oh Father
53 Open Your Heart
54 He's A Man
55 Physical Attraction
56 Power Of Good-Bye
57 Fever
58 Rescue Me
59 Sooner Or Later
60 This Used To Be My Playground
61 Why's It So Hard
62 Easy Ride
63 Where's The Party
64 American Pie
65 What It Feels Like For A Girl
66  Devil Wouldn't Recognize You
67 In This Life
68 Angel
69 Waiting
70 You'll See
71 Crazy For You
72 Heartbeat
73 What Can You Lose
74 I'm Going Bananas
75 Like A Virgin
76  Dance 2Night
77 Human Nature
78 More
79  Don't Stop
80 I Know It
81 Intervention
82 The Look Of Love
83 Love Don't Live Here Anymore
84 Material Girl
85 Over And Over
86 Pretender
87  Dear Jessie
88 Sorry
89 Think Of Me
90 Till Death Do Us Part
91 I'd Rather Be Your Lover
92 Who's That Girl
93 Nothing Really Matters
94 Let Down Your Guard
95 I Love New York
96 Forbidden Love (Bedtime Stories)
97 Let It Will Be
98 Nobody Knows Me
99 Stay
100 Bedtime Story

Wow! That's quite a list you've got there! I'm impressed because I couldn't even begin to attempt this. Madonna has so many songs and I listen to them given what mood I'm in so it's nearly impossible.

1. Like A Prayer
2. Vogue

...Can't go on. Too stressful!

Sorry. :(

My favorite Madonna song is "Take A Bow", and I love her bedtime stories album. :blush: I want to get more in to her, but IDK where to go. Back to the 80s, or post ROL stuff.

My favorite Madonna song is "Take A Bow", and I love her bedtime stories album. :blush: I want to get more in to her, but IDK where to go. Back to the 80s, or post ROL stuff.
A Certain Sacrifice. :D

Either start yourself from the beginning or end. Definitely don't jump in midstream. It's cool to listen to her evolution as an artist either direction.

Wow! That's quite a list you've got there! I'm impressed because I couldn't even begin to attempt this. Madonna has so many songs and I listen to them given what mood I'm in so it's nearly impossible.

1. Like A Prayer
2. Vogue

...Can't go on. Too stressful!

Sorry. :(

Fair enough!

I'd start with her 80's stuff, even though I prefer her 90s & 00s work, her 80s stuff is instantly recognisible and more accessible. Like with Mike, although many fans prefer his 90s work, you wouldn't recommend someone goes straight to HIStory before Thriller or Bad.

In terms of genres, the first 3 studio albums (Madonna, Like A Virgin, True Blue) are more straightforward pop with True Blue showing maturity in terms of songwriting & vocal style. Like A Prayer was her breakthough that showed she'd be around for a long time and was more than bubblegum pop. Songs like Like A Prayer and Express Yourself became instant classics. It was also her first really personal album.

Her next studio album was Erotica and is a firm favourite of mine. Largely ignored by the public at the time due it being overshadowed by the unnecessary and garish Sex book, Erotica contains some real gems including the beautiful Rain with a stunning video directed by Mark Romanek (Scream director), Bad Girl, Deeper & Deeper, Erotica, Why's It So Hard. More hip-hop than pop in style it's a real hidden Madonna gem.

Bedtime Stories took Madonna further into ignored territory compared with previous success and it looked for a while as though her best times were behind her. But BS contains classics such as Secret & Take A Bow, a beautiful, beautiful record. A semi R&B album, most of it is unfortunately bland.

Ray Of Light is regarded as Madonna's comeback album, it gave her her first #1 single since Vogue after an 8 year gap in the UK and is seen by critics as her best of all time. Not for me, save for the title track the William Orbit production grates on me after a while but there are some great songs on there; Frozen, Power Of Goodbye.

Music took Madonna further into electro-territory and for me is her worst album of all time. As with all M albums there are 2 classics on there; Music & the wonderful Don't Tell Me, but the rest is too poncy for me.

American Life saw a backlash against Madonna, mainly due to her being rather ahead of her time standing up to Bush and the insanity of war. Simply put it is her best album and it's a travesty that songs like Nothing Fails, Mother and Father and Easy Ride won't be heard by the general public. Her most personal album since Like A Prayer it's emotional, intelligent, danceable and soulful.

After disappointing sales she flew back to #1 with Confessions On A Dancefloor which debuted with the stunning Hung Up, possibly the best pop single of the decade. However apart from that track & Jump, the album is too electro, Euro pop for me, it sounds like a Kylie album. If you like that genre then you'll love it and millions did.

Her latest album sold poorly for her and like her least selling albums I love it. Hard Candy sounds full of chart friendly hits and again it's a shame that songs such as Beat Goes On, Voices, Candy Shop & She's Not Me weren't singles.

Also worth mentioning is the 1990 I'm Breathless album, separated from the rest of the pack as it's a soundtrack to Dick Tracy, I love it, although it's not for everyone as it's 20 inspired, it's a lot of fun though.

In essence then in a career nudging 30 years and 12 studio albums crossing many genres, Madonna has something for everyone dive in and enjoy.

Her next studio album was Erotica and is a firm favourite of mine. Largely ignored by the public at the time due it being overshadowed by the unnecessary and garish Sex book, Erotica contains some real gems including the beautiful Rain with a stunning video directed by Mark Romanek (Scream director), Bad Girl, Deeper & Deeper, Erotica, Why's It So Hard. More hip-hop than pop in style it's a real hidden Madonna gem.
Erotica is a great album. The song "Why it's so hard" is a favorite of mine this album and always makes me think of Michael.

Rain and your video is wonderful. :wild: If I am not mistaken, he was shot in black and white and colored on the computer.

Thank you Tony for that extensive narrative and analysis of Madonna's albums. :lol: I kinda had a rough idea of what her albums would be like because I have at least two or three songs from each of her albums up thru ROL. If not I've heard them. But I'll definitely keep your post in mind when listening to the albums so I know what to listen for. :happy:

lol I'm just listening to 'La Isla Bonita' and checking the song on wiki..look what I found:

"Originally written as a lament, the song was first offered to Michael Jackson before Madonna accepted it and re-wrote the lyrics with Patrick Leonard."

I didn't know that! lol

lol I'm just listening to 'La Isla Bonita' and checking the song on wiki..look what I found:

"Originally written as a lament, the song was first offered to Michael Jackson before Madonna accepted it and re-wrote the lyrics with Patrick Leonard."

I didn't know that! lol

Very interesting! Thanks for that. :)

I didn't know that! lol

I love "La Isla Bonita", one of my favorites. Wow, I didn't know this.

I made a Top 100 Michael Jackson songs thread once and said I doubt there's any other artist I could do it for, so I've done one for my second favourite act. I won't lie, it was slightly harder than doing MJ when I got to 75-100 as with Mike I could choose Jacksons & J5 songs, but it still shows what an incredible body of work Madonna's achieved.

Not bad for someone who only uses sex to sell herself.

As with Mike, this order will change daily.

Rank Song
1 Like A Prayer
2 Music
3 Mother And Father
4 Candy Shop
5 American Life
6 Don't Tell Me
7 Erotica
8 Hung Up
9 Beat Goes On
10 Rain
11 Vogue
12 Nothing Fails
13 Keep It Together
14 Justify My Love
15 Burning Up
16 Ray Of Light
17 Secret
18 She's Not Me
19 Express Yourself
20 Take A Bow
21 Voices
22 Borderline
23 Bye Bye Baby
24 Bad Girl
25 Deeper And Deeper
26 Die Another Day
27 One More Chance
28 Dress You Up
29 Drowned World/Substitute For Love
30 Jump
31 Everybody
32 I Want You
33 Miles Away
34 Four Minutes
35 Papa Don't Preach
36 Frozen
37 Causing A Commotion
38 Give It 2 Me
39 Revolver
40 Hanky Panky
41 Holiday
42 Hollywood
43 Spanish Lesson
44 You Must Love Me
45 Into The Groove
46 La Isla Bonita
47 Gambler
48 Cherish
49 Live To Tell
50 Love Profusion
51 Lucky Star
52 Oh Father
53 Open Your Heart
54 He's A Man
55 Physical Attraction
56 Power Of Good-Bye
57 Fever
58 Rescue Me
59 Sooner Or Later
60 This Used To Be My Playground
61 Why's It So Hard
62 Easy Ride
63 Where's The Party
64 American Pie
65 What It Feels Like For A Girl
66 Devil Wouldn't Recognize You
67 In This Life
68 Angel
69 Waiting
70 You'll See
71 Crazy For You
72 Heartbeat
73 What Can You Lose
74 I'm Going Bananas
75 Like A Virgin
76 Dance 2Night
77 Human Nature
78 More
79 Don't Stop
80 I Know It
81 Intervention
82 The Look Of Love
83 Love Don't Live Here Anymore
84 Material Girl
85 Over And Over
86 Pretender
87 Dear Jessie
88 Sorry
89 Think Of Me
90 Till Death Do Us Part
91 I'd Rather Be Your Lover
92 Who's That Girl
93 Nothing Really Matters
94 Let Down Your Guard
95 I Love New York
96 Forbidden Love (Bedtime Stories)
97 Let It Will Be
98 Nobody Knows Me
99 Stay
100 Bedtime Story

Oh, I've never heard "I Love New York" before. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with all of Madonna's more recent work. Ooh, this is perfect subway riding, block out all the annoying people music. :)

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with all of Madonna's more recent work

I think that goes for most. Many judge Madonna and her music, not actually having heard anything outside of her singles. Not everyone is going to love her the way I do, but, I wholeheartedly believe new fans can be born by listening to her albums in their entirety (and without bias).

I think that goes for most. Many judge Madonna and her music, not actually having heard anything outside of her singles. Not everyone is going to love her the way I do, but, I wholeheartedly believe new fans can be born by listening to her albums in their entirety (and without bias).

You don't have to sell me on Madonna. :) I know probably 95 percent of the songs you listed. I've always been somewhat of a fan. Not a super, die hard fan who knows everything she's ever done but I've always liked that she never looks the same way twice, is never boring, and is so glamorous. There are some things I don't like about her but what's more important to me is the music. I just love the music. It's just that I don't know her work from the mid-2000's and I really should. I'm just lazy. :)

You don't have to sell me on Madonna. :) I know probably 95 percent of the songs you listed. I've always been somewhat of a fan. Not a super, die hard fan who knows everything she's ever done but I've always liked that she never looks the same way twice, is never boring, and is so glamorous. There are some things I don't like about her but what's more important to me is the music. I just love the music. It's just that I don't know her work from the mid-2000's and I really should. I'm just lazy. :)

Haha! You have plenty of time to catch up. ;)

Is 'Celebration' all her #1's?

Not number ones, just a selection of hits. In fact some of get #1s are missing. And it's only about a third of her hits. Ideally it would be 3 discs.

Many classics are missing e.g. Rain, You'll see, Human Nature, American Life, Give It 2 Me,

Not number ones, just a selection of hits. In fact some of get #1s are missing. And it's only about a third of her hits. Ideally it would be 3 discs.

Many classics are missing e.g. Rain, You'll see, Human Nature, American Life, Give It 2 Me,

Yeah, there were definitely some omissions (when you have that body of work, of course there are) but it's definitely her best collection to date. Two tracks that I really wish would have made the cut are "This Is Used To Be My Playground" (#1 hit) and "I'll Remember" (#2 hit).

Yeah, there were definitely some omissions (when you have that body of work, of course there are) but it's definitely her best collection to date. Two tracks that I really wish would have made the cut are "This Is Used To Be My Playground" (#1 hit) and "I'll Remember" (#2 hit).

Never liked I'll Remember really, to be honest I couldn't believe how nearly perfect Celebration is for me. The only song on there I skip is Sorry. I'm amazed Rain never made the cut.

Also Disc 1 is much better than Disc 2.

Never liked I'll Remember really, to be honest I couldn't believe how nearly perfect Celebration is for me. The only song on there I skip is Sorry. I'm amazed Rain never made the cut.

Also Disc 1 is much better than Disc 2.

Funny how people are so different. I love "I'll Remember", "Rain" is beautiful but not a song I need on a collection, and I never skip "Sorry". :D

I agree that Celebration is as nearly perfect as it can be. It would be impossible to have the perfect track listing. As you can see, we are all very different. The only real gripe I have is the inclusion of "Everybody" over some other bona fide hit. "Everybody" is Madonna's first single ever and so I understand the inclusion from a historic point of view, but being a hits package... I like for the songs to have been actual hits (somewhere in the world).

Last edited:
Back