Madonna Appreciation thread - For fans

Re: Madonna

Funny how people are so different. I love "I'll Remember", "Rain" is beautiful but not a song I need on a collection, and I never skip "Sorry". :D

I agree that Celebration is as nearly perfect as it can be. It would be impossible to have the perfect track listing. As you can see, we are all very different. The only real gripe I have is the inclusion of "Everybody" over some other banafide hit. "Everybody" is Madonna's first single ever and I understand the inclusion, but being a hits package... I like for songs to be actual hits (somewhere).

I love the fact that Everybody and Burning Up are on there. It's like a little nod to the fan community. Everybody especially is a great song (especially as done on The Girlie Show tour).

I have all Madonna's albums up to and including "Ray of Light". I've heard her later stuff, but no, thanks.

This is the most beautiful song and video of Madonna to date...

[youtube]Nx1ykBc3XUQ[/youtube]

Just gorgeous.

Celebration is the only Madonna album I have at this point (don't worry Travis, I'll buy the rest sooner or later) and I'm so gutted Human Nature isn't on it.

I didn't know there was a greatest hits out. :eek:

When was this released?

Me wants. :D

I didn't know there was a greatest hits out. :eek:

When was this released?

Me wants. :D

It was released around October last year, it's actually her 3rd Greatest Hits but the only one to cover her entire 26 years career.

The Immaculate Collection - (1982-1990)
GHV2 (Greatest Hits Vol 2) (1992-2000)
Celebration - 1982 - 2008 2 CD

There's also 'Something To Remember' from 1995, a great collection of all her best ballads.

Celebration Tracklisting:

CD 1:
01) Hung Up
02) Music
03) Vogue
04) 4 Minutes
05) Holiday
06) Everybody
07) Like A Virgin
08) Into The Groove
09) Like A Prayer
10) Ray Of Light
11) Sorry
12) Express Yourself
13) Open Your Heart
14) Borderline
15) Secret
16) Erotica
17) Justify My Love
18) Revolver

CD 2:
01) Dress You Up
02) Material Girl
03) La Isla Bonita
04) Papa Don't Preach
05) Lucky Star
06) Burning Up
07) Crazy For You
08) Who's That Girl
09) Frozen
10) Miles Away
11) Take A Bow
12) Live To Tell
13) Beautiful Stranger
14) Hollywood
15) Die Another Day
16) Don’t Tell Me
17) Cherish
18) Celebration

Madonna Celebration DVD Track Listing:

1) Burning Up
2) Lucky Star
3) Borderline
4) Like A Virgin
5) Material Girl
6) Crazy For You
7) Into The Groove
8) Live To Tell
9) Papa Don’t Preach
10) True Blue
11) Open Your Heart
12) La Isla Bonita
13) Who’s That Girl
14) Like A Prayer
15) Express Yourself
16) Cherish
17) Vogue
18) Justify My Love
19) Erotica
20) Deeper and Deeper
21) Rain
22) I’ll Remember
23) Secret
24) Take A Bow
25) Bedtime Story
26) Human Nature
27) I Want You
28) You’ll See
29) Frozen
30) Ray Of Light
31) The Power Of Good-Bye
32) Beautiful Stranger
33) American Pie
34) Music
35) Don’t Tell Me
36) What It Feels Like For A Girl
37) Die Another Day
38) Hollywood
39) Love Profusion
40) Hung Up
41) Sorry
42) Get Together
43) Jump
44) 4 Minutes
45) Give It 2 Me
46) Miles Away
47) Celebration

^ Oh cool, Thanks for that.

I have the Ultimate collection. :) Wasn't aware of the other one released after it.

^ Oh cool, Thanks for that.

I have the Ultimate collection. :) Wasn't aware of the other one released after it.

I try to pretend that GHV2 doesn't exist. It's such a piss poor and lazy collection. Most fans do. It was at the time, her second collection and should have been a continuation of The Immaculate Collection but instead it got a silly name and a crappy track listing with even worse editing. :no: However, I do think Celebration more than made up for it. Yes, it could have had this or that song instead of this or that one, but Madonna can't fit all her hits on to two discs, so it's forgivable. Plus, I love the cover!

Madonna_Celebration_AlbumCoverArt-490x490.jpg

I try to pretend that GHV2 doesn't exist. It's such a piss poor and lazy collection. Most fans do. It was at the time, her second collection and should have been a continuation of The Immaculate Collection but instead it got a silly name and a crappy track listing with even worse editing. :no: However, I do think Celebration more than made up for it. Yes, it could have had this or that song instead of this or that one, but Madonna can't fit all her hits on to two discs, so it's forgivable. Plus, I love the cover!

Madonna_Celebration_AlbumCoverArt-490x490.jpg

Yeah, it was a bad title and cover with poor edits. Not surprised it didn't sell well. Celebration is near perfect though.

I have The Immaculate Collection. I've loved it for years. But I do now want to get Celebration. :)

Although I have yet to hear every song she's recorded I think "Crazy For You" will always be my favorite Madonna song. I love the country-ish flavor and the subject matter (just being in love) and it will always remind me of my college days.

Speaking of the era of "Crazy for you", "Into the groove"and such - when I was a little girl, "Desperately Seeking Susan" was my favourite movie. :p

Speaking of the era of "Crazy for you", "Into the groove"and such - when I was a little girl, "Desperately Seeking Susan" was my favourite movie. :p

Madonna was on fire back in those days. She couldn't be stopped. I'm definitely a bigger fan of her music rather than her acting. :D

Madonna was on fire back in those days. She couldn't be stopped. I'm definitely a bigger fan of her music rather than her acting. :D

Oh, I definitely prefer the music, too. Although I think she was pretty awesome as Evita. And she sang "You Must Love Me" beautifully. :)

I liked "Desperately Seeking Susan", that was a fun movie. I laugh at the image of Madonna drying her underarms with the bathroom dryer. :) I liked the video too which I believe was just her singing into a mic in a recording studio with clips of the film interspersed? I think. It's been a while.

I don't think I've seen Evita but I bought the soundtrack when it came out and I loved it. Yes, her "You Must Love Me" is beautifully done. One thing about Madonna that I have always liked is the vulnerability she conveys in her ballads contrasts so much with her tough exterior.

I liked "Desperately Seeking Susan", that was a fun movie. I laugh at the image of Madonna drying her underarms with the bathroom dryer. :) I liked the video too which I believe was just her singing into a mic in a recording studio with clips of the film interspersed? I think. It's been a while.

I don't think I've seen Evita but I bought the soundtrack when it came out and I loved it. Yes, her "You Must Love Me" is beautifully done. One thing about Madonna that I have always liked is the vulnerability she conveys in her ballads contrasts so much with her tough exterior.

That is what is so alluring!

I think she's really brave with her ballads. Very.

This is the most beautiful song and video of Madonna to date...

[youtube]Nx1ykBc3XUQ[/youtube]

Just gorgeous.
This video is wonderful. But I'm in love by "Take a Bow" (album Bedtime Stories). It's my favorite ballad and the video is sooooooooooooo beautiful:

[youtube]XDeiovnCv1o[/youtube]

All videos of Madonna are wonderful. :wild:

I have all Madonna's albums up to and including "Ray of Light". I've heard her later stuff, but no, thanks.

That pretty much sums up Madonna career................

Ray of Light is one of my favourite albums of all time............

Since then she released about 2 to 3 songs I like, but the rest is too much about her constant attention seeking and her mid-life crisis!!!!!!!!!

Ugh, my memory is just awful. I was confusing the "Into The Groove" video with the video for "Crazy For You" which is from an entirely different movie, heh. Just checked youtube. Well, I'm 46 and I haven't seen these videos in at least 10-15 years. :) But I was correct about the Madonna drying her underarms in the bathroom dryer machine part, lol.

Ugh, my memory is just awful. I was confusing the "Into The Groove" video with the video for "Crazy For You" which is from an entirely different movie, heh.
Vision Quest which also has a song called Gambler.

This video is wonderful. But I'm in love by "Take a Bow" (album Bedtime Stories). It's my favorite ballad and the video is sooooooooooooo beautiful:

[youtube]XDeiovnCv1o[/youtube]

All videos of Madonna are wonderful. :wild:

OMG.

I am INSANE about Take A Bow. My friend and I are both musicians and we wrote songs inspired by it.

When she sings "Do you really mean what you say when there's no one around" - it gets to me. It's just the way she sings it. :wub:

Since then she released about 2 to 3 songs I like, but the rest is too much about her constant attention seeking and her mid-life crisis!!!!!!!!!

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. :mello:

I know many many MANY fans who are more familiar with her later work rather than her early. My roommate is a perfect example of that. He's never heard any of her classic albums. American Life sucked him in and he started buying her albums ever since.

I guess it's just like with Michael, the media and unfortunately, even the fans/public, only want to give credit for the early work. Just because you're not familiar with it, doesn't mean it's not good. In my opinion, it's better (both Madonna and MJ). I'll take MJ's post Thriller albums ANY day of week. That's not to say that the early stuff isn't good, but that I prefer the evolution and artistic growth and maturity of later work.

Last edited:

Ironic really as Madonna did the vast majority of her shock-value & 'attention seeking' stuff in the 80s & 90s with her Sex book, topless shots, swearing, bottle fellating, cone bra wearing, crotch grabbing antics.

Ray Of Light was the beginning of her mellow period. I can only think of her Britney/Christina kiss that was really contraversial in the last 15 years

OMG.

I am INSANE about Take A Bow. My friend and I are both musicians and we wrote songs inspired by it.

When she sings "Do you really mean what you say when there's no one around" - it gets to me. It's just the way she sings it. :wub:

I sooo agree about Take a Bow! That song's just got a mood to it that gets right under your skin. "The show is over, say goodbye" is my favourite lyric, it's got that sad finality to it.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. :mello:

I know many many MANY fans who are more familiar with her later work rather than her early. My roommate is a perfect example of that. He's never heard any of her classic albums. American Life sucked him in and he started buying her albums ever since.

I guess it's just like with Michael, the media and unfortunately, even the fans/public, only want to give credit for the early work. Just because you're not familiar with it, doesn't mean it's not good. In my opinion, it's better (both Madonna and MJ). I'll take MJ's post Thriller albums ANY day of week. That's not to say that the early stuff isn't good, but that I prefer the evolution and artistic growth and maturity of later work.

With me it's sorta opposite - I agree with you on the Michael bit, I definitely prefer his post-Thriller era, I think Bad and Dangerous albums were the ultimate, but with Madonna, I really do prefer her earlier stuff. I've heard her new work, and it just doesn't get to me, I find it boring. That's not to say the woman still hasn't got it! My mom likes Madonna, and she also prefers the good old days, but when just recently Madonna was in Poland, my mom went to her show, and said she was nothing short of FA-BU-LOUS! I think it depends on a person, I'm sure many of her fans and even the non-fans youth of today appreciate her new music. Actually, just the other day there were some teenagers in the car in front of my house, and "Hung Up" was blasting on their stereo, so... :D

Ironic really as Madonna did the vast majority of her shock-value & 'attention seeking' stuff in the 80s & 90s with her Sex book, topless shots, swearing, bottle fellating, cone bra wearing, crotch grabbing antics.

Ray Of Light was the beginning of her mellow period. I can only think of her Britney/Christina kiss that was really contraversial in the last 15 years

I understand what you are saying...........

I enjoyed her Ray Of Light Era...............but now she's gone back to wearing almost nothing...........

........That;s not so bad for a younger woman to do it.........

........But a 50 year old mum...........Oh Please!!!!!!!

I promise you that the singers of today make me miss Madonna.

I think Madonn'a best work was in the 90s and I think the same about Michael and Janet.

I understand what you are saying...........

I enjoyed her Ray Of Light Era...............but now she's gone back to wearing almost nothing...........

........That;s not so bad for a younger woman to do it.........

........But a 50 year old mum...........Oh Please!!!!!!!

I understand what you're saying because of social conditioning, but I love it that Madonna wears what she wants, and it's not like she goes out in public wearing nothing (as you say). She dresses very classy but yes, she does skimp down in photo shoots, but she does have the body to pull it off. I think as long as you've still got it, you by all means should flaunt it. Madonna has worked very hard for that body.

I think people should dress as they want, regardless of what others think. I always loved MJ's eccentric style and hated it when the media or stupid people would criticize it, saying he dresses like a royal in the military - well um, (first of all) he was a king and not everyone has to dress boringly to fit social norms.

I think Madonn'a best work was in the 90s and I think the same about Michael and Janet.

I agree that MJ's best work was in the 90's, but that's only because we didn't get to hear his next album as he had planned to do.

As for Janet, most certainly her best work was in the 90's. She was on fire. Every album was better than the previous. "Velvet Rope" is her masterpiece and was the peak of her creativity.

Back