Michael 3rd Most Legendary

WannaBeStarin'Somethin, if Michael was around you all the time he'd have one hell of an ego! lol. Not that he doesn't have one now, but wow you sure do have a way with words. Anyway, I agree with everything you just said.

Naw, I'd be too embarrassed to say this sh*t around him, lol. You're not the first one to say that to me, lol. Michael really is as talented as I say though, I'm not the only one who say's this stuff, people who work with him say it as well. And hey, there's nothin' wrong with being passionate about an artist's talent, right? lol.

Yeh, Elvis's contract under Colonel Tom Parker was ridiculous. No one would accept it these days. But I guess he didn't know any better at the time. He did write some songs though. Off the top of my head I know he was the lyricist for Love Me Tender. He was also a great producer. Phil Spector once said he regarded Elvis as one of the best music producers ever.

:D ^_^
But actually Elvis just produced "Love Me Tender" it was written by a man named Ken Darby. The only 2 songs i know of that Elvis co-wrote was "If I’d Only Bought Her Roses" and "Just Like Rolling Up the Hill".
Yeah ur right for sure. Elvis unfortunately didnt know better at the time and by the time he did he was in too deep. It was gonna cost him MILLIONS to get out of that contract. :(

But we're talking about legendary status. Of course, Michael is more well known around the world then is Elvis and he's statistically been more successful. If we're going off of this criteria.

That couldnt be more inacurrate. There are fans from all over the world that to this day visit Graceland and are fans of Elvis even 30 years after his death. If thats not considered legendary i dont know what is.
Elvis never got the chance to tour other Countries because of - again - the Colonel. He had a immigration problem so he never wanted Elvis to leave the Country and tour overseas.

Last edited:
And on Presley possibly being prevented from being more hands on with his content...

I'm sure there are many individuals in the world who are very musically gifted, and if things had gone differently for them in their lives, they would have been stars. Unfortunately, we still can't talk about these people when we look at who's the best at this and who's the best at that in discussions about popular music. If Elvis was stopped from being more involved in his content, then that's unfortunate, but it doesn't somehow negate the fact that Michael Jackson did it and he didn't. We don't know if he would've written songs as great as the ones he sang, but we do know that Michael Jackson could. And did, on a regular basis more often than not.

Just to sum up the importance of this: Some people are songwriters for a living. That is what they do. That is all they do. They write songs, and people sing them. Some of these songwriters have written some of the greatest, most beautiful, most inspirational songs in music history.

Michael Jackson does both the job of the singer, and the job of these songwriters at the same time.

It matters. And saying it doesn't is borderline disrespectful to the craft.

And on Presley possibly being prevented from being more hands on with his content...

I'm sure there are many individuals in the world who are very musically gifted, and if things had gone differently for them in their lives, they would have been stars. Unfortunately, we still can't talk about these people when we look at who's the best at this and who's the best at that in discussions about popular music. If Elvis was stopped from being more involved in his content, then that's unfortunate, but it doesn't somehow negate the fact that Michael Jackson did it and he didn't. We don't know if he would've written songs as great as the ones he sang, but we do know that Michael Jackson could. And did, on a regular basis more often than not.

Just to sum up the importance of this: Some people are songwriters for a living. That is what they do. That is all they do. They write songs, and people sing them. Some of these songwriters have written some of the greatest, most beautiful, most inspirational songs in music history.

Michael Jackson does both the job of the singer, and the job of these songwriters at the same time.

It matters. And saying it doesn't is borderline disrespectful to the craft.

Bottomline is in my opinion anyone can write a song. I can write a song. But its about who sells it to the audience. Britney Spears writes songs but will she be 'legendary'?...Most likely not. - lol.

Bottomline is in my opinion anyone can write a song.

Wow.

I can write a song.

Can you write Heartbreak Hotel, Jailhouse Rock, Burning Love, If I Can Dream, All Shook Up, Love Me Tender, Hound Dog, etc?

Neither did Elvis. A song presumably has to exist before someone can sing it well.

I feel sorry for some of the no-names who've given the world beautiful music when I see comments like that.

Wow.

Can you write Heartbreak Hotel, Jailhouse Rock, Burning Love, If I Can Dream, All Shook Up, Love Me Tender, Hound Dog, etc?

Neither did Elvis. A song presumably has to exist before someone can sing it well.

I feel sorry for some of the no-names who've given the world beautiful music when I see comments like that.

Wow. Yeah. U are missing my point.
Writing a song dosent make a star hit legendary status. Obviously. Elvis is number one in that area and always will be and he only wrote 2.
I dont know why ur so into this songwriting thing honestly cause it really has not much to do with the topic at all unless ur just hoping to differentiate something between Elvis and Michael to justify ur point of Michael being more-so.....cause really thats the only thing Michael did that Elvis didnt and i already explained why Elvis wasnt able to do that.

Last edited:
Wow. Yeah. U are missing my point.
Writing a song dosent make a star hit legendary status.

Never said it did. That doesn't mean it's any less respectable of a talent.

I dont know why ur so into this songwriting thing honestly cause it really has not much to do with the topic

I said that the music is a matter of perspective but MJ has more talent, and then we started talking about it. Pretty simple. Conversations drift. It's close enough to the original topic. It's not like we're talking about Power Rangers.

cause really thats the only thing Michael did that Elvis didnt

What, make the songs he's singing? Yeah, just a minor difference.

and i already explained why Elvis wasnt able to do that.

Right, and I already explained why it doesn't really matter. A bunch of people could've done a bunch of things if something hadn't happened or stopped them.

The S wins.

:D ^_^
But actually Elvis just produced "Love Me Tender" it was written by a man named Ken Darby. The only 2 songs i know of that Elvis co-wrote was "If I’d Only Bought Her Roses" and "Just Like Rolling Up the Hill".
Yeah ur right for sure. Elvis unfortunately didnt know better at the time and by the time he did he was in too deep. It was gonna cost him MILLIONS to get out of that contract. :(
Really, because in a book I've got it cause Elvis wrote the lyrics to Love Me Tender. But maybe the writer didn't do his fact checking.

ithink if this article would ber about modern music and the invention of video clips michael surely would have been number one

He didn't event music videos. Far from it. He changed the way people made music videos. He made them more of an art form then just a promotional tool. If you're talking about the invention of music videos look no further than the late 50s when rock and roll movies were being made and clips from those movies where certain songs were played were used to promote that song on TV. Then you've got Elvis Presley who took it to another level with Jailhouse Rock. The scene where Jailhouse Rock is played was used as a promotion for the single, soundtrack and film on TV. Then there was The Beatles with the music videos they made for certain songs like Paperback Writer to play on the Ed Sullivan show and stuff when they couldn't be there in person to perform the songs. So music videos have been developing since the late 50s.

Last edited:
Not anyone can write a song. That's like saying anyone can dance. Litterally speaking, yes, but not anyone can dance well. A recording artists status as a legend resides largely on whether or not they have good material. Michael has consistently, for 30 years, had GREAT material, the majority of which he himself wrote and composed. Michael can do a lot of thing's Elvis couldn't. He can dance. Elvis was not a talented dancer. He can beatbox. Far as I know, Elvis couldn't do that. He can write music, that wasn't a talent of Elvis's, he can play several instruments, including the drums, keyboard, piano, and guitar. As far as I know, Elvis only played the guitar.

Michael makes mini-musicals. If you watch films from the 30s and 40s, they used to make small musical productions to show before a film, mini musicals which had a story line. That's more along the lines of what Michael does. They aren't music "clips", they're films with choreographed dance numbers, acting and story lines.

Last edited:
Elvis actually played piano very well too. And I'm sure his guitar skills excel Michael's. Michael is not known for being a guitarist and no one can be sure if he really played guitar on his albums or just a synthed guitar played on a keyboard or programmed into a computer.

I consider Elvis' dancing pretty good actually. It's just different to Michael's is all.

But IMO as a dancer, singer, songwriter and producer, Michael excels Elvis. But they are both equal as showmen and performers. They both are level in charisma and appeal IMO. But because Elvis is dead and he is more "legendary" than Michael.

Really, because in a book I've got it cause Elvis wrote the lyrics to Love Me Tender. But maybe the writer didn't do his fact checking.

Yeah im pretty sure im sure anyways :lol: I read it somewhere.

Not anyone can write a song. That's like saying anyone can dance. Litterally speaking, yes, but not anyone can dance well. A recording artists status as a legend resides largely on whether or not they have good material. Michael has consistently, for 30 years, had GREAT material, the majority of which he himself wrote and composed. Michael can do a lot of thing's Elvis couldn't. He can dance. Elvis was not a talented dancer. He can beatbox. Far as I know, Elvis couldn't do that. He can write music, that wasn't a talent of Elvis's, he can play several instruments, including the drums, keyboard, piano, and guitar. As far as I know, Elvis only played the guitar.

Michael makes mini-musicals. If you watch films from the 30s and 40s, they used to make small musical productions to show before a film, mini musicals which had a story line. That's more along the lines of what Michael does. They aren't music "clips", they're films with choreographed dance numbers, acting and story lines.

Elvis couldnt dance? Are u kidding me? Elvis couldnt beatbox? :toofunny: What era do u think of when u think of Elvis? Elvis wouldnt be the beatbox kinda guy anyways...he was way too cool for that.
Sorry but seems like you know NOTHING about Elvis at all, so really its pointless to reply, but Elvis did play the piano and guitar and several other things as well.
Just say you like Michael or Elvis Dont compare cause there is absolutely NO comparison there at all to speak of.
I personally think ur incredibly brave to criticize a person thats no longer living...someone who cant defend themselves...but whatever gets u through the night..

Last edited:
I thought more MJ fans would like Elvis because MJ's kind of like the modern day Elvis. Or he was in the 80s and 90s at least. Just like Elvis, MJ drove people crazy on stage, he had massive hits and was popular world wide in pretty much every country that sells music. Also just like Elvis right after his peak in fame and success the media turned on him and printed heaps of stories about him. With Elvis is was drugs and weight gain. With Michael it was plastic surgery and relations with children. But IMO they're much the same in how popular they were and how the media tried to bring them down.

No1 has reached the fame level michael Jackson has.. Sorry to break it to some of you but Elvis and Beetles are not known all over the world. I have lived and been in places that would not know who those two were.. U go to Africa, much of the middle east etc..

You mention michael Jackson and they could at least Sing the melody of mj songs/ doing his signature dance steps.. Mike is the most famous individual that has ever lived.. No question

Last edited:
No1 has reached the fame level michael Jackson has.. Sorry to break it to some of you but Elvis and Beetles are not known all over the world. I have lived and been in places that would not know who those two were.. U go to Africa, much of the middle east etc..

You mention michael Jackson and they could at least Sing the melody of mj songs/ doing his signature dance steps.. Mike is the most famous individual that has ever lived.. No question

Do you think Michael will have number one albums years and years after his death like Elvis does?

Elvis couldnt dance for ****, whenever he moved he looked like he was havin a spasm attack.

That's your opinion. IMO his dancing was so raw and exciting.
he looked very awkward, James Brown was someone who was raw and exciting when he danced but Elvis? better stick to the singing

It all began with Elvis. You can argue whether he was just in the right place at the right time or not but it doesn't matter. Imagine if you can being aroound in the 50's when Elvis first started. How exciting must that have been?

Before him there was no pop or rock n roll, it was classical or crooners. I know there were black artists doing Elvis's thing and he just made it popular, but that argument goes the same for Michael's moonwalk.

I'll try & speak objectively here. Personally, I respect artists a lot more when they write their own songs. For me that is why Michael is better. He created works such as Billie Jean, Who Is It, Will You Be There and 100's more like it.

ELvis's songs were created for him.

But, Elvis represents a time (like Michael). In fact look at the Top 3 they are more than just musical artists, they symbolise a shift in time when it became more than the music.

You can draw a musical timeline and pinpoint where Elvis, Sinatra & Michael started and the effect they had. That's why they are legendary. For us, we put Mike at #1 because he represents the shift in our lifetime. But you have to respect those who think otherwise because their legends mean different things to them.

It's more than the music, songwriting or dance, It's who changed your life.

he looked very awkward, James Brown was someone who was raw and exciting when he danced but Elvis? better stick to the singing

Ur opinion. Is that a way to make fun of the fact and pretend that Elvis didnt deserve to be honored as legendary? If so its not a very good attempt. ^_^

Last edited:
1st

2nd

3rd

I don't care, they are all AMAZING artist and deserve to be in the top 3 for different reasons

:)

One thing i am shocked about is Frank Sinatras name on there.....i mean sure he was great once but i dont think anyone i know can name 3 songs he ever sang.

tony R - that is not right.. Rock n roll was huge before Elvis.. elvis was far from the 1st.. Infact that is where most controversy circulates with the elvis thing.. Back then they would bot publicize a black artist as an American icon.. They found this 'talented,hansom, young,white man' that had a passion for 'black' music.

The music, the dance, the style was all ready out.. There was just one issue in the music industries eyes.. No WHITE man doing it. Having a black american icon would have been unheard of.

Elvis was talented, he was not the first, the best, or the only.. Several came before him that should have gotten the publicity..

Last edited:
Ur opinion. Is that a way to make fun of the fact and pretend that Elvis didnt deserve to be honored as legendary? If so its not a very good attempt. ^_^
no no no not at all, I'm just saying he was a poo dancer

Back