'Michael' Jackson Album Sells 3 Million Globally in First Week (?)

^ Yes that site is one of the most reliable organizations for estimating global sales. That's a solid debut...higher than This Is It soundtrack.

Btw, notice that 'Hold My Hand' is climbing and is now #11 on that chart for the biggest hits in the world. That is great. I wonder when they will release the second single. They haven't announced the date? It would be wise not to wait too long.

It is right depending on how to look at it. They count only official charts so countries that don't have official charts (like Russia and China i.e), will be left out. But it is the same with all the artists estimated. So it's kinda fair. But it's a bit unfair for i.e. native artists who sell lot in countries with no official charts.

The album is released this week in china and we don't know sales from Russia

How much from this country according to you ?

Last edited:
The album is released this week in china and we don't know sales from Russia

How much from this country according to you ?

Russia... we will never know, for all we know they sold 80 million copies of Invincible, but we wouldn't know, they keep every statistic of their country classified, so no point in guessing.

China on the other hand does release statistics, but are varying with their results, i personally like to gather the average sales and add it in.
Sony has released predictions for China, they expect FIRST DAY sales to reach 200,000... unbelievable? yeah right! they have a population of 1.3 Billion, and are HUGE supporters of Michael Jackson. Some say they are bigger than Japan, although that IS debatable

Why do Russia do that? That's a lot of people in China. I hope it does well there.

SONY must know how many albums they ship to Russia right ??

That way they will now how many copies is sold. ?

Shipment = Number of copies Sony has sold to retailers

Sold= Number of copies retailers have sold to consumers.

Shipment numbers are great! But you should focus on the "sold" numbers.

SONY must know how many albums they ship to Russia right ??

That way they will now how many copies is sold. ?

Did you know that a music store near me didn't have to buy any copies of HIStory when Michael died? They STILL had 30+ copies left over from the original release and hence didn't count as sales

It's clearly due to piracy that it's not selling well.

What are you TALKING about???

Piracy has nothing to do with anything, i had to do a paper about Piracy laws, my research lead me to find that people who download Illegally buy more music LEGALLY, than people who don't.
You DO know iTunes sales aren't counted right? They can't be anyway as they aren't real sales.

If people are thinking this is bad they are off their face, ANY artist wishes for 750,000 copies in a WEEK.

Why do Russia do that? That's a lot of people in China. I hope it does well there.

cause the music market is chaotic here
but there are many unofficial sales charts by magazines such as Rolling Stone and some other media sources, so, I guess, it's possible to figure the sales out

What are you TALKING about???

Piracy has nothing to do with anything, i had to do a paper about Piracy laws, my research lead me to find that people who download Illegally buy more music LEGALLY, than people who don't.
You DO know iTunes sales aren't counted right? They can't be anyway as they aren't real sales.

If people are thinking this is bad they are off their face, ANY artist wishes for 750,000 copies in a WEEK.

i didn't know itunes sales aren't included thanx 4 the insight, and you're right a lot of artists such as Christinia's aguilera's bionic, Ciara's Basic Instinct, toni braxton and El Debarge new record and nelly's who did less as of today

Yipee!!! Another cause for celebration.Michael Jackson: The Experience (Wii)
is now a bonafide hit,It joined the million sellers club.it sold 1,129,964 in 4 weeks.Ubiisoft must be estatic ,they wanted a million copies sold in 2010 and got more than a million with 2 more charts before the year runs out.

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/45662/michael-jackson-the-experience/

It sold just a little below the no of copies in it's 4th wk in US that ''MICHAEL'' Album sold at its debut,despite costing 4 -5 times more.Guys why do you feel the game is more succesful than the album.Is it more effective marketing or the controversy

Yipee!!! Another cause for celebration.Michael Jackson: The Experience (Wii)
is now a bonafide hit,It joined the million sellers club.it sold 1,129,964 in 4 weeks.Ubiisoft must be estatic ,they wanted a million copies sold in 2010 and got more than a million with 2 more charts before the year runs out.

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/45662/michael-jackson-the-experience/

It sold just a little below the no of copies in it's 4th wk in US that ''MICHAEL'' Album sold at its debut,despite costing 4 -5 times more.Guys why do you feel the game is more succesful than the album.Is it more effective marketing or the controversy

yeah id say because this album had lack of promotion, controversy, bad timing release date and other competition defiantly played a big roll. Plus video games now days are huge. The new Call of Duty Black Ops broke every kind of media record including movies.

I think because the level of piracy is too high here and a lot of people download illegally instead of buying. Anyway, "Michael" is the bestseller here. That much is for certain...

yeah id say because this album had lack of promotion, controversy, bad timing release date and other competition defiantly played a big roll. Plus video games now days are huge. The new Call of Duty Black Ops broke every kind of media record including movies.

Ha, ha ,ha,Video games might be huge presently but you cant use COD as an example of VGS popularity because they are of different genres,COD is a FPS game while MJ experience belongs to the music genre .

The music/dance genre has never been as popular as FPS ,action adventure genres etc.Presently the music genre is a dying genre,evidenced by poor sales of guitar hero
:metallica van halen,Rockband series and other dancing games apart from JUST DANCE 1 &2. That is why industry experts said the MJ game was not gonna sell a million copies in 2010.
Even the beatles rockband wii sold just 430,000 copies in 1st month of release and just 1.43 million copies since it was released last year sept.

COD is a FPS game with a huge videogame fanbase that rush to get it the 1st hour it's released,They sell huge amounts in the 1ST week and break all kinds of records but experience drastic fall in sale in the following weeks.

I agree with the reasons you gave for the album's sales performance,Maybe sony should hire some of Ubisofts marketing executives for the next project.

I wonder how many families have bought or will buy MJ related product during this season?? This might be some sort of a record to sell this much products using one name. I mean someone who doesn't buy his album would buy his DVD or the Game. So I think this could be some sort of a record to sell so many different items using one name in a certain season or a period of time.

well its clearly wrong, common sense would tell you that is incorrect .mj sells 0.34 mill in us and uk and another 2.67 mill in other countries??? lol. No album does 3 mill in its first week these days.
Thriller use to sell 1M per week in the 80's

a lot of people are listening to the album on Internet...you could see how many views the sons have on youtube:) sales are not really big today, because CDs are not popular with the younger generation....

Back