'Michael' Jackson Album Sells 3 Million Globally in First Week (?)

Michael Jackson's First Posthumous Album Is Guaranteed To Be A Thriller!

By Janice C. Murray - Songwriter, musician, and freelance writer covering music and entertainment.Let me first start by saying this probably is not an album Michael Jackson would have put out if he were living. Jackson was pop music's pinnacle of perfectionism, and production was never a hair shy of pristine. On the other hand, it's a testament to The Man's undeniable versatility and creative genius. Jackson has songwriter credits on eight of the ten tracks, co-producer credits on five, and they are undeniably Michael Jackson songs.

"Behind the Mask" is a sure-fire hit, that funkiness, and highlights his killer bad boy perfect vocals of the 80s. It is sure to get the world rockin' when it hits radio stations; magical music, unlike much of what is on the airwaves today. "(I Can't Make It) Another Day" is an edgy rock tune produced by and features Kravitz on guitar.

"(I Like) The Way You Love Me" is a ballad that mesmerizes with Jackson singing in tenor for this track. "Hollywood Tonight" is a solid hit with Jackson's classic vocals in the alto range. His most recently recorded track "Best of Joy" captures Jackson singing in soprano at 50 years old and he still sounds as brilliant as ever, delivering a message of eternal love.

makemefeel2.jpg

Three of the tracks feature Jackson directed at the media, one of his recurring lyrical themes. The track "Monster" is one such track where Jackson is asking the papparrazi to hold up a mirror and take a good look at the reflection.

In a somewhat bizarre twist, two of the tracks, "Monster" and "Breaking News", hint at Jackson returning to haunt the media they way they haunted him in life. "Hold My Hand" - a duet with Akon - recorded in 2008, is a guaranteed hit being an anthem of unity and love, one of Jackson's spoken themes throughout his life. One of the more emotional tracks is the tender ballad "Much Too Soon." It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but the voice is honest and pure, hovering between alto, tenor and soprano.For the younger generation and the very young who may not fully understand or even be knowledgeable in Jackson's musical genius and creativity, the album "Michael" should be a musical education for you. What made Jackson so incredibly unique was his ability to simulate every instrument with his voice. He often times would record each instrument with his voice as a demo for musicians to capture with their instruments, or sometimes "voice" the instrumental parts to them in the studio.

Even more incredible, is that on many of Jackson's tracks that are a part of his legacy, there often times were actually few instruments; believe it or not, those instrumental sounds were made by the magic of his vocal cords and released as the finished product. It's something that had never been done before and likely will never be done in the future, save a miracle of finding another human that possesses that kind of talent. More commonly known is that most vocal layers were also Jackson's; no back-up singers needed.

He was an astonishing beat-boxer laying out drum tracks with his voice, thereby achieving the unique rhythm that made the whole world want to get up and dance. The rhythm was his creation, not that of a studio drummer. His soul and voice created the beat that we danced to. We once again get to hear this magic in "Behind The Mask" -"Hollywood Tonight" and in a small clip recorded over the phone for the intro to "(I Like) The Way You Love Me." The album is not perfect because the perfectionist is no longer here, but it is genius no less, showcasing versatility creatively, rhythmically and vocally ranging from alto to soprano, screams and "Michaelisms" in a way that only Jackson can deliver.

The CD's liner notes states "This album is dedicated to Michael's children, Katherine Jackson, and the entire Jackson family." The CD's liner unfortunately contains no photographs of Michael, but there are four scanned sheets of "hand written" notes from Michael. The fourth page starts with "We only live once...."

"Michael" is sure to please his multi-millions of fans around the globe and mesmerize the younger generation, many of whom perhaps have only discovered him since his untimely death. Though it doesn't live up to his previously proven perfectionism standards in production, it will, in my estimation, be a huge commercial success nonetheless. The album will be released in the United States by Sony/Epic Records on December 14, 2010. I have my copy set on "repeat" and I bet come December 14th, the album's release date, yours will be, too.

Article Source: http://entertainment.ezinemark.com/...guaranteed-to-be-a-thriller-7d2c9e968af3.html

Read more: http://entertainment.ezinemark.com/...be-a-thriller-7d2c9e968af3.html#ixzz18usSTnJu
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution No Derivatives

Last edited:
This should clear things up...

A year and a half after his tragic death, Michael Jackson proves he's immortal. The King of Pop lived up to his name this week when his posthumous album 'Michael' became the No.1 selling album globally. In the U.S. the album sold 228,000 albums, and came in third on the Billboard 200, behind Taylor Swift's 'Speak Now' and Susan Boyle's 'The Gift.'

Sony says they shipped three million copies of the album, which has gone on to reach platinum status, based on shipment numbers, in the U.S., U.K., Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Poland, Russia, Belgium, Czech Republic, Canada, Korea and the Middle East in its first week. Platinum certification varies in countries by sales and shipments.

Featuring guest spots from 50 Cent, Akon and Lenny Kravitz, the 10-track album has done well even though it was shunned by many of Michael's former collaborators. Quincy Jones, who produced many of Jackson's albums like 'Bad,' 'Thriller,' and 'Off the Wall,' said he believed Jackson would not have approved the album's released if he were still live. Will.i.am and Ne-Yo also renounced the decision of Sony and Jackson's estate to release the album.

The 2010 holiday shopping season has been raining Michael Jackson with new releases from the dead pop star being hurled at consumers across various platforms. Ubisoft released the dance video game 'Michael Jackson: The Experience,' while Sony amassed an encyclopedia of Jackson's music videos for the 3-disc DVD 'Michael Jackson's Vision.'

SOURCE: http://www.theboombox.com/2010/12/22/michael-jackson-album-sells-3-million-globally-in-first-week/

MORE OR LESS REAL SALES

Michael (CD)

Australia: 35.000 (Gold)
Brazil: 30.000 (Shipment)
Canada: 25.000 (real sales first week)
Denmark: 5.000 (real sales first 3 days)
France: 65.201 (real sales in first weekend + first week)
Germany: 100.000 (real sales first 3 days)
Japan: 55.746 (real sales in first week)
Netherlands: 25.000 (Certification)
New Zealand: 7.500 (Certification Gold)
South Korea: 10.000 (Certification)
Spain: 60.000 (Certification Platinum)
Sweden: 20.000 (Certification Gold)
UK: 113.146 (Sales First Week)
USA: 227.000 (Sales First Week)

TOTAL: 778.593 copies

MICHAEL'

7 n°1..................

Russie : # 1
Sweden: #1
Italy: #1
Netherlands: #1
Germany: #1
Austria: #1
Flandern: #1
Taiwan: #5 (but n°1 in chart international)
Switzerland: #2
Canada: #2 (with 400 copies behind suzan Boyle :ph34r:)
Croatia: #2
Spain: #2
Japan: #3
Wallony: #3
United Kingdom: #4
Denmark: #4
France: #4
Norway: #7
Greece: #8
Australia: #10
Newzealand: #10
Ireland: #18
Finland: #22

^ why are his sales so low in Japan? MJ is the king of foreign music in Asia...

No data for China? Singapore? They love MJ there...

I don't no who fed the AP that 3 million sold nonsense...but they are not helping.

3 million CDs shipped=/= 3 million CDs sold

THIS IS SHIPEMENTS NOT SALES !!

But i am glad that the news papers are good towards michael these days this is refreshing even if they are ready to lie for him this refreshing

THIS IS SHIPEMENTS NOT SALES !!

But i am glad that the news papers are good towards michael these days this is refreshing even if they are ready to lie for him this refreshing

I agree. That way the name Michael Jackson won't be tarnished by the low sales :yes:

I agree. That way the name Michael Jackson won't be tarnished by the low sales :yes:

his sales are not low. this album is a success. despite many fans wishing it to fail it didn't.

shipments are important, because they show pre-orders from customers and stores worldwide. Sony didn't ship these CDs for free. They were ordered and paid for by people and stores. So these 3 mil were bought from the label.

Hold My Hand is officially a Top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100, jumping 26 places this week to #39 from #65 last week!

That's excellent news! Can anyone tell me how many albums need to be sold to reach a worldwide number one?

his sales are not low. this album is a success. despite many fans wishing it to fail it didn't.

shipments are important, because they show pre-orders from customers and stores worldwide. Sony didn't ship these CDs for free. They were ordered and paid for by people and stores. So these 3 mil were bought from the label.

Shipments are not determined by pre-orders but the figure planned to reach
for exemple Sony planned to sell 400K in the US but finally only sold 227K there

Shipments are NOT AT ALL important but only to have an idea of the number of sales they wish to reach

You can think whatever you want at the end of the day EVEYBODY knows deep in mind that this is a failure

But nowadays it is realy "IN" talk about michael in very good way so you wont find many papers tell the truth about it or only disminish the failure

Fact IS the album sales are low very low thats it !

Shipments are not determined by pre-orders but the figure planned to reach
for exemple Sony planned to sell 400K in the US but finally only sold 227K there

Shipments are NOT AT ALL important but only to have an idea of the number of sales they wish to reach

You can think whatever you want at the end of the day EVEYBODY knows deep in mind that this is a failure

But nowadays it is realy "IN" talk about michael in very good way so you wont find many papers tell the truth about it or only disminish the failure

Fact IS the album sales are low very low thats it !

Totally disagree that this album is a failure but from your previous posts that is what I expect from you. By being in the top 5 at least of virtually every country in the world cannot be deemed a failure. So what if a few artists are ahead of him in sales in the most difficult and competitive sales period of the year it also means that in the case of billboard 200 there are 197 artists that sold less than him!!! that also applies to every other country in the world.

How you can call it a failure when there are hundreds of artists selling less i dont know.
Fact IS that this album has sold more than the majority of other albums therefore sales cannot be that low!
Please stop putting your negative spin on everything it is getting very tiring and boring now.

Totally disagree that this album is a failure but from your previous posts that is what I expect from you. By being in the top 5 at least of virtually every country in the world cannot be deemed a failure. So what if a few artists are ahead of him in sales in the most difficult and competitive sales period of the year it also means that in the case of billboard 200 there are 197 artists that sold less than him!!! that also applies to every other country in the world.

How you can call it a failure when there are hundreds of artists selling less i dont know.
Fact IS that this album has sold more than the majority of other albums therefore sales cannot be that low!
Please stop putting your negative spin on everything it is getting very tiring and boring now.

Please just because the album charts top 5 in almost every top of the world means this is a succes
A success is defined by the number of SALES around the world and not the way you chart because nowadays an album can chart very high with actually very low sales

The album charting top 5 is normal since this is its FIRST week in the charts and the first week is generaly supposed to get the STRONGER sales
Even TH25 charts top 5 everywhere in the world it doesnt mean it was breaking records left and right since finally its "only" sold 4 million worldwide a year and a half later ( 4 million is strong for this kind of product though )

Moreover you must tae into account that there were only 5 artists out of 200 debuting and entering the charts this week
Michael Jackson R Kelly Bad Boy American idol and geffen keysha

MJ easily is the bigger name of the 5 so this is not like the competition was that big
Despite this weak competition "Michael" was not evne able to beat Taylor Swift nor Susan Boyle album which was at his 8th and 3rd weeks

I am waiting for the official mediatrafic charts next week
They will publish the YEAR END WORLD WIDE CHARTS
And if michael realy sold 3 million copies withing a week over the world then this will be mentioned in the publication

Really what is your problem Serena?
If you want to celebrate the supposed "failure" of the album, do us a favour and keep it in the closet (in your house) and stop trolling over and over!
It's ridiculous!

Really what is your problem Serena?
If you want to celebrate the supposed "failure" of the album, do us a favour and keep it in the closet (in your house) and stop trolling over and over!
It's ridiculous!

euh
First we can no more talk about "fake"
Now we can say that the album is a failure

Whats your problem
I am saying what i think is the truth deal with it

Please just because the album charts top 5 in almost every top of the world means this is a succes
A success is defined by the number of SALES around the world and not the way you chart because nowadays an album can chart very high with actually very low sales

The album charting top 5 is normal since this is its FIRST week in the charts and the first week is generaly supposed to get the STRONGER sales
Even TH25 charts top 5 everywhere in the world it doesnt mean it was breaking records left and right since finally its "only" sold 4 million worldwide a year and a half later ( 4 million is strong for this kind of product though )

Moreover you must tae into account that there were only 5 artists out of 200 debuting and entering the charts this week
Michael Jackson R Kelly Bad Boy American idol and geffen keysha

MJ easily is the bigger name of the 5 so this is not like the competition was that big
Despite this weak competition "Michael" was not evne able to beat Taylor Swift nor Susan Boyle album which was at his 8th and 3rd weeks

I am waiting for the official mediatrafic charts next week
They will publish the YEAR END WORLD WIDE CHARTS
And if michael realy sold 3 million copies withing a week over the world then this will be mentioned in the publication

But for the first week at least sales are what makes chart position same thing really a quarter of a million sales for a dead mans is really impressive as you say he charted above other current living artists who are around to promote the albums.

Anyway there is really no point paying any attention to your posts they are all the same you just making things fit your negative view point. Im sure MJ would be very proud of you!!!

euh
First we can no more talk about "fake"
Now we can say that the album is a failure

Whats your problem
I am saying what i think is the truth deal with it

your brining a negative vibe to this forum and nobody appreciates it. i'd love it if they ban you , if your not happy with the album take it elsewhere for we are trying to keep our heads up. Oh and this is album is doing really good ,your just convincing yourself that its a failure.

your brining a negative vibe to this forum and nobody appreciates it. i'd love it if they ban you , if your not happy with the album take it elsewhere for we are trying to keep our heads up. Oh and this is album is doing really good ,your just convincing yourself that its a failure.

Mods dont ban people just because they say opposite opinions

Mods dont ban people just because they say opposite opinions

but they ban people if they are trolling and that's exactly what you are doing.

you think the album is a failure and you are happy about it. We heard you when you said it for the first hundred times. no need to repeat over and over.

^ those numbers are low. The album sold 85,000 copies in Germany alone, along with 30,000 in the Netherlands. Japan sales are 58,000. Total worldwide sales on Friday will be north of 700,000

^ That's more like it!

First of all, it is impossible to have sold 3M in first week. Get real, deluded! Those must be the shipments

Back