Michael Jackson "Immortal" Album Announcement

Moonwalker.Fan;3547499 said:
Michael Jackson New “Immortal” Album Sells Around 40,000 Copies

After all the hoopla about Michael Jackson’s Cirque du Soleil show, you;d think the CD soundtrack would have sold better in its first week. But “Immortal,” an album of remixes taken from the Cirque show, sold just around 40,000 copies last week according to estimates.

It finished at number 18 for the week (final numbers will be in later today), far below the new number 1 album from Nickelback (120,000) and chart stalwart Adele, who has two CDs in the top 50. For Jackson, selling 21,000 copies is a sad echo of his halcyon days in the 80s with “Thriller,” “Bad,” and “Dangerous.”

But the botching of last winter’s “Michael” album–which had no marketing and a whisper campaign that killed it–didn’t help. “Immortal” had almost no pre-release publicity.

Can you please add your source?

HDD have only reported 30% of sales. Which report are you quoting here?

^^ His source is Roger Friedman (you can see it if you click on the title of the article).

How would he know it only sold 40K? Roger is such a hater...and people keep defending his crap.

Last edited:
^^ His source is Roger Friedman (you can see it if you click on the title of the article).

Well, I purchased my copy of Immortal Deluxe edition yesterday. (Monday)
I've only just taken the plastic wrapper off and read the booklet, which, by the way,
has great pictures too.

This album was never gonna chart high, there has been zero promotion, literally zilch in the UK :)

UK: #65
Germany: #23

I would have been puzzled if that remix "best of" under the alias "Cirque du Soleil" charted higher. As expected it's a flop...

I thought it would be at least 50,000. From earlier posts here that was the guess. I saw one commercial for it where I live.

I haven't seen a thing for promo in the UK. Do I care? No. It's a good album. couldn't care less if people think it's flopped or failed or whatever. ENJOY THE MIKE!!

Korgnex;3547768 said:
UK: #65Germany: #23I would have been puzzled if that remix "best of" under the alias "Cirque du Soleil" charted higher. As expected it's a flop...
I agree with your first sentence. I also would be pleasantly surprised if the album charted higher, or within top 10. Let&#8217;s face it. The album is a glorified-greatest-hits-remix album. Exactly how many Michael Jackson greatest-hits albums can the market absorb? Number Ones was one of the best selling albums in the world in 2009 and This Is It was one of the best selling albums in the world in 2010. And, the Essentials and the Ultimate Collection are still on the shelf. Sometimes, I feel Sony is saturating the market with too many Michael Jackson albums with similar contents. </SPAN> However, I think it might be premature to call Immortal a flop. A flop when compare to what benchmarks? It&#8217;s inappropriate to compare it to a studio album with brand new material. It&#8217;s more inappropriate to compare it to Michael&#8217;s past efforts. I don&#8217;t think it&#8217;s even fair to compare it to the Beatles&#8217; Love. Love was released decades after the passing of John Lennon. There was a generation who might not own any Beatles&#8217; album. There was promotion, interest and a market that is ready for a new Beatles&#8217; release. For Immortal, the situation is quite different. Promotion has been closed to nothing. I hope when the Cirque show tours more cities in North America and starts touring the world. Hypes will be built up. Hopefully, Immortal will have a long shelf life. </SPAN> I don&#8217;t think the interest in Michael&#8217;s music is diminishing. His music is timeless. I don&#8217;t think the chart performance of Immortal thus far has been too disappointing neither. If Sony thought Immortal could sell like hot cakes, then Sony was delusional.</SPAN> I bought the album and enjoy several remixes. Michael&#8217;s vocals sound crystal clear. But, I don&#8217;t think the general public care about the difference. For casual fans, they may just want to listen to the originals, which in my opinion, are far superior. </SPAN>

Last edited:
love is magical;3548827 said:
I agree with your first sentence. I also would be pleasantly surprised if the album charted higher, or within top 10. Let&#8217;s face it. The album is a glorified-greatest-hits-remix album. Exactly how many Michael Jackson greatest-hits albums can the market absorb? Number Ones was one of the best selling albums in the world in 2009 and This Is It was one of the best selling albums in the world in 2010. And, the Essentials and the Ultimate Collection are still on the shelf. Sometimes, I feel Sony is saturating the market with too many Michael Jackson albums with similar contents. However, I think it might be premature to call Immortal a flop. A flop when compare to what benchmarks? It&#8217;s inappropriate to compare it to a studio album with brand new material. It&#8217;s more inappropriate to compare it to Michael&#8217;s past efforts. I don&#8217;t think it&#8217;s even fair to compare it to the Beatles&#8217; Love. Love was released decades after the passing of John Lennon. There was a generation who might not own any Beatles&#8217; album. There was promotion, interest and a market that is ready for a new Beatles&#8217; release. For Immortal, the situation is quite different. Promotion has been closed to nothing. I hope when the Cirque show tours more cities in North America and starts touring the world. Hypes will be built up. Hopefully, Immortal will have a long shelf life. I don&#8217;t think the interest in Michael&#8217;s music is diminishing. His music is timeless. I don&#8217;t think the chart performance of Immortal thus far has been too disappointing neither. If Sony thought Immortal could sell like hot cakes, then Sony was delusional. I bought the album and enjoy several remixes. Michael&#8217;s vocals sound crystal clear. But, I don&#8217;t think the general public care about the difference. For casual fans, they may just want to listen to the originals, which in my opinion, are far superior.

I agree.

Thing is Michael only had five and a half studio albums as an adult solo artist and he had best of albums coming out every few years in the past years so he had more best of albums than studio albums! You can sell those songs only so many times.

I agree that it's unfair to compare him to the Beatles as well. There seems to be a renaissance of the Beatles right now but we are 30 years after Lennon's death and 40 years after the band's breakup and many of those songs have been released on a CD or in a digital form for the first time ever. But it took 30 years to have this renaissance, you haven't heard much about the Beatles in the 80s. There's a reason why Michael could buy the ATV catalog for such a cheap price at the time, a lot, lot cheaper than what it's worth now. There wasn't such a huge demand for Beatles's music as there is now.

I also think the general public might be suffering from "MJ overdose" right now. I mean the natural hype right after his death, then the Murray trial, lots of media exposure etc. I even think the Estate should slow down a bit. You didn't have something new released from the Beatles every year in the past 30 years. Though I want the Bad Tour DVD real bad, so I hope that will be released soon. But I'm not sure how that will appeal to the general public, if they know the significance of it (MJ's best tour etc.). Perhaps that too will be something that only fans will be interested in but it's OK.

I agree.

Thing is Michael only had five and a half studio albums as an adult solo artist and he had best of albums coming out every few years in the past years so he had more best of albums than studio albums! You can sell those songs only so many times.

I agree that it's unfair to compare him to the Beatles as well. There seems to be a renaissance of the Beatles right now but we are 30 years after Lennon's death and 40 years after the band's breakup and many of those songs have been released on a CD or in a digital form for the first time ever. But it took 30 years to have this renaissance, you haven't heard much about the Beatles in the 80s. There's a reason why Michael could buy the ATV catalog for such a cheap price at the time, a lot, lot cheaper than what it's worth now. There wasn't such a huge demand for Beatles's music as there is now.

I also think the general public might be suffering from "MJ overdose" right now. I mean the natural hype right after his death, then the Murray trial, lots of media exposure etc. I even think the Estate should slow down a bit. You didn't have something new released from the Beatles every year in the past 30 years. Though I want the Bad Tour DVD real bad, so I hope that will be released soon. But I'm not sure how that will appeal to the general public, if they know the significance of it (MJ's best tour etc.). Perhaps that too will be something that only fans will be interested in but it's OK.

"five and a half studio albums"??? I don't understand that. Are you counting BOTDF as that half? Then it is six and a half.

Also they have to release one new album every year because they need to release 10 projects until 2017. So six more years and 6 more projects.

^^ Yeah, sorry six and a half.

And I don't mind if they release something every year, but it's irrealistic to expect the general public will go crazy for all of those projects and for a new MJ project every year. There's a reason why Michael kept long breaks between albums. Overexposure of an act is not necessarily good.

^^ Yeah, sorry six and a half.

And I don't mind if they release something every year, but it's irrealistic to expect the general public will go crazy for all of those projects and for a new MJ project every year. There's a reason why Michael kept long breaks between albums. Overexposure of an act is not necessarily good.

Of course, I agree, but The Estate needed money so they signed that 250 MIL $ deal with Sony. We'll get 6 more projects in the next six years and after that I think that it will slow down to maybe one project every 5 years.

Could someone post all chart positions in different countrys?

Found this on another mj site:
November 30th, 2011 Michael Jackson IMMORTAL Enters Billboard Charts

Congratulations Michael Jackson!

Michael Jackson IMMORTAL has entered the official US Billboard album charts @ no.24. with an impressive 43,000 copies sold.

Billboard

I'm a bit disappointed that there was no real anti-tabloid/media track included on Immortal.

How great would a mash-up of Privacy, Leave Me Alone and Tabloid Junkie be? Those cellos in Privacy used in the chorus would link perfectly in with Leave Me Alone's hook. The use of those camera sounds in Privacy would assist in creating an amazing visual through the use of camera flashes in the show. The joy of Immortal is that we get to hear something a little different in the Michael songs we know and love. Threatened is a wonderful example. Privacy is a song which cops a lot of flak on here (it's not my favourite either) but if we were to hear it in a different light, maybe it would be appreciated more.

Like it or not, the media were a big part of Michael's life and he suffered horribly from their abuse. I feel something anti-media would have been appropriate if done in the right manner.

I'm a bit disappointed that there was no real anti-tabloid/media track included on Immortal.

Im actually glad that there isnt cuz i love the other songs mj did. I hate the media with a big passion but having too much of those type of songs can be a mood killer

How great would a mash-up of Privacy, Leave Me Alone and Tabloid Junkie be? Those cellos in Privacy used in the chorus would link perfectly in with Leave Me Alone's hook. The use of those camera sounds in Privacy would assist in creating an amazing visual through the use of camera flashes in the show. The joy of Immortal is that we get to hear something a little different in the Michael songs we know and love. Threatened is a wonderful example. Privacy is a song which cops a lot of flak on here (it's not my favourite either) but if we were to hear it in a different light, maybe it would be appreciated more.

Like it or not, the media were a big part of Michael's life and he suffered horribly from their abuse. I feel something anti-media would have been appropriate if done in the right manner.

The intro to Tabloid Junkie and a line from Privacy are used in the show as a lead in to TDCAU. They were not included on the album though.

The intro to Tabloid Junkie and a line from Privacy are used in the show as a lead in to TDCAU. They were not included on the album though.

Interesting Tabloid Junkie & Privacy are mentioned in the booklet. Probably they removed it at the last moment.

screw them for doing that. I would have loved the Privacy bit, but oh well

Isn't it ironic that Immortal debuted @ no.24 just like MJ's other remix album Blood On The Dance Floor:HIStory In The Mix did in 1997.

Isn't it ironic that Immortal debuted @ no.24 just like MJ's other remix album Blood On The Dance Floor:HIStory In The Mix did in 1997.

But Immortal will go higher next week after Vegas shows. BOTDF peaked at #24.

... do you guys realize that this Immoratl album is the part of the 250 mill. dollar deal, and that its really ridiculous that this album has no promotion and has failed at charts... and its not good for MJ Estate and Sony that their projects are "successful"...
I think its also result of the stupid anti.Sony campaign of so.called MJ fans.

Just because it has his name on it and uses his music, doesn't mean it's about MJ. it's soundtrack of the show and promotes the show. It's not in the same category as "Michael" or the albums that will follow, and shouldn't be seen like that. Yes, it's part of the 10 projects deal and I think that's a mistake. It's about the show and not MJ. And not everything that has something to do with MJ needs to be big and to gets promotion. people should stop thinking like that. Also you guys set lot weight on the word "promotion". You expect too much.

The album debuted on the 18th spot in the Billboard Top 200.

I guess that's a good thing.

Back