Michael Jackson Moonwalker Blu-Ray-2 disc Blu Ray out Oct

Re: MOONWALKER on Blu-ray 7 July (France)

Wow can't wait to have it on BD!

Wow, not to be a prick, but do some research on what HD is my friend.
Anything that was shot on film has more resolution than HD. 16mm film will look it's best, and 35mm film will look amazing, even in HD 35mm has lots more rez to offer. If they have indeed struck a new HD transfer from the film source, then we are in for a treat.

For Moonwalker or any future HD video releases, Only segments that include videos filmed on video will be upscaled. Examples being DSTYGE, Billie Jean I think was shot on film, but the editing effects were obviously done in early 80's quality video effects. Not sure how they would handle that. They may have to go in a find the original neg, rescan it and reedit it, and create the effects again. (This is currently being done for the Star Trek The Next Generation Blu Ray sets, the series was filmed on film, but edited on video along with the special effects.) As long as they keep the original edit in tact, and the "new" versions of the video edits look the same but in higher quality I'll all up for them doing this. Give into me is another video that may have some issues, the video was shot on film, but the lightening effects were 480p video. So those would have to be recreated, The CGI face in Who is it would probably be prone to this as well.

Since Moonwalker and Ghosts were created for the big screen, the film was edited for film resolution as well as the effects, they should look amazing. But for anything else it may be awhile before we get proper HD versions of Michaels Special Effect extravaganza short films, because the effects (unless they were smart enough to think HD, but honestly anything before History era I doubt anyone was thinking HD) will need heavy remastering. I seem to remember Scream being screened in theaters in 1995, if so thank god. That means the effects were produced for film, because that video would be a bitch to recreate in HD. Possible, but expensive.

Video editing of film didn't become common place until the mid 90's. The from what I have seen the Thriller-Bad era videos were probably edited on film. The only exception I can see is Bille Jean, (Another part of me was shot on video as a part of a concert, so that will be forever 480P unfortunately). So all that needs to be done is finding the original neg and striking a new master. I am not sure about Dangerous era videos, But the visual effects in some of the later videos look to be 480P, which leads me to believe they were edited on video. Not sure about Black or White. But I am pretty sure anything from History was edited on a video system like Avid. (Final cut pro wasn't around until the late 90's). If they kept the EDL lists for these, scanning in the original film in high rez would be all they need to do. The computer would take care of the rest.

Any concert footage from Bad I have seen was shot on 1980's video, so while the original source can be remastered, your never going to get anything but 480P from that. Same goes with any Dangerous concert. I don't think there were any concerts of Michaels Filmed on film, with the exception of MITM, which was used for Moonwalker.

I heard a rumor that some of the History concerts were filmed using early HD cams.
1080i (which won't look as good as modern HD, but will look really nice). It would be something if this were true!

The 2001 concerts looked nice on TV, but I'm not sure if they were shot in HD. Pretty sure it was standard 2001 era video, and it looks great but probably not HD. Anything claiming to be HD is most likely a upscale transfer. It is possible the concert was shot in HD, I guess it depends on who shot the concert. I know CBS aired the footage, but were they responsible for the filming and editing? If this ever comes to DVD, I would love to see a re-edit that treated this more as a concert and less of a tv special.

Now, as far as Moonwalker in 16x9 goes. You guys may see cropping from what you have been used to on video and tv. It all depends on how the full frame transfer was conducted. Most 1.85:1 films (16x9) are shot full frame and matted off at 1.85:1 as the intended ratio for the theater, and now for widescreen tvs. A common practice in home video was to open the matts for home video full frame transfers, which is different than pan & scan which is used for Anamorphic (Widescreen) 2.35:1 films. The pan and scan transfer process has been used in 1.85:1 but not as common, usually when a film is shot hard matted (The matts are filmed onto the film). So it just depends on how the moonwalker transfer was made for home video, Where the sides cut off of the image? Or was the top and bottom opened up?
I myself have only seen the full screen US home video and tv versions, so I'm not sure.

lol.
i know what HD is.... my friend. ^^
definitely you will not get 1080p. get that in your brain. and everyone who is willing to pay so much money for that is an idiot.

everyone who is willing to pay so much money for that.....

"This much money"?? How much is that much? Is it really that expensive? I think BD disks are becoming reasonably priced, I think one of the reasons why people might buy this because they don’t have a DVD player or their BD player doesn’t play DVDs. So it is mainly for accessibility, but I really really really hope it will be perfectly remastered.

is an idiot.
:bugeyed

ok, to be a bit clearer. The PAL dvd is aspect ratio (1:66:1- 4:3) format (meaning, not anamorphic and not widescreen) It's the open matte version. Meaning the black bars are removed to reveal more image top and bottom.
Leave Me Alone video on the dvd is not 16:9. It's aspect ratio 1:78:1 (as it was filmed that way only)
16:9 means anamorphic (pre stretched for a widescreen tv, keeping good quality)

The original cinema print on 35mm was widescreen ratio 1:78:1 if i remember correctly. So yes the image will be slightly cropped top and bottom, but thats how it was intended to be, for cinema release in 1988.

And the 16mm film reels will not be needed to restore and remaster it because the movie was made on 35mm film. So they just need the original 35mm negative or print and remaster that.

Hopefully the BlueRay release wont just be a dvd upgrade where they just increase the resolution slightly of the current dvd print. And let's hope they correct the pitch of the PAL audio track this time. No one likes the chipmonk dvd version.

Bet they don't remaster the print and bet they don't improve the crappy PAL audio track. Bow your heads and prey everyone.

lol.
i know what HD is.... my friend. ^^
definitely you will not get 1080p. get that in your brain. and everyone who is willing to pay so much money for that is an idiot.

I just want to know where you are coming from.
Are you saying that...

A. It is not possible to get an HD image from MJ's 80's product? Like Moonwalker or his music videos (which is wrong btw). As stated ANYTHING shot on film has much to gain with HD. Now whether the original neg is still around or has been kept in good care is a whole different story.

or

B. The company making this Blu Ray release is just going to up convert the current 480p image? (Which is a sad possibility)

Skizzor' Thanks for all that info on video/film editing and HD possibilites. it was a good read.

Any concert footage from Bad I have seen was shot on 1980's video, so while the original source can be remastered, your never going to get anything but 480P from that. Same goes with any Dangerous concert. I don't think there were any concerts of Michaels Filmed on film, with the exception of MITM, which was used for Moonwalker.

You're probably right about this, apart from one thing. Have you seen the clips of Bad from the Bad Tour '89 concert in LA , that they show on the "The Number One" dvd documentary? The quality is outstanding! If thats how good it can look on dvd, imagine what it can look like on Blue Ray. Check out the "The Number One" to see what i mean. there's a few short clips of 'Bad' from LA 1989.

I heard a rumor that some of the History concerts were filmed using early HD cams.
1080i (which won't look as good as modern HD, but will look really nice). It would be something if this were true!

Yes, the 2 Munich shows were for sure. I was told this back in 1997 on the day of the first show. The Leipzig concert was possibly HD also, as a clip of it was used in the Munich concert mix. The quality apeared to be identical to the Munich footage. Shame the Munich shows were when Michael was feeling ill and not on top form. When they showed it on tv, the quality was outstanding. It was the highest quality concert video I'd ever seen. It has yet to be televised in actual HD though.

So it just depends on how the moonwalker transfer was made for home video, Where the sides cut off of the image? Or was the top and bottom opened up?
I myself have only seen the full screen US home video and tv versions, so I'm not sure.
26-10-2009 12:09 AM

i can answer this. Moonwalker was put onto VHS with the matte bars removed, revealing more image top & bottom, but then it was zoomed in slightly so we lost some of the sides and a tiny bit of the top & bottom again. I'm sure they had their reasons. They also changed some of the video collage effects during the opening Man in the Mirror performance for VHS too. Instead of having like 50 little boxes with the image of michael's face, there were just like 6 little boxes with his face in. So I guess they modified that for some reason.

When they televised it in UK, they showed the original cinema print version but with the matte bars removed, and not zoomed in. So you got the full image on all sides and the Man in the Mirror collage effects showed the full set of little boxes as aposed to the modified version on the VHS.

So if they do release Blueray disc in anamorphic widescreen (which I'm sure they will) , we will not be missing that much image top & bottom. only a little bit. And in my opinion, they should matte it to 1:78:1 and not 1:85:, because there is no need to. Why crop off more than is necessary.

Sky TV broadcasted it in anamorphic widescreen. (bit of pointless info)

Ooooo, this is gonna be amazing!! :D

BTW, mj_brainiac, where did you get the info on the Blu-Ray/DVDcontent? :)

He just said that was what he would like to see on the DVD :). I don't think he meant it was the actual content on it. If that was the content though then that would make for an excellent Moonwalker blu-ray disc.

Just to clear this. In full respect.
About 187 MegaPixel would be needed for every frame film if you want every detail possible in a 35mm film. A FULLHD film in 1080p is 1920x1080pixels and that's 2073600px which is 2Megapixels. So the raw 35mm film would be about 93times higher resolution then FULLHD. That's why, my friends, we have FULLHD films from the 50s and 60s. So yes, we will have FULLHD Michael Jackson videos soon and even MUCH HIGHER resolutions when the digital standards are up to it.

Edit: Just to be more honest to real applications:
35mm movies are in real life most often around 12 megapixels/frame. 187mpx is the theoretical maximum.
But, it's still about 6 times higher then FULLHD 1080p.

Last edited:

^Yea usually they do a 4K sample then remaster it to digital 2K-Full HD quality

Slightly OT but...

HMV UK had Moonwalker on DVD with its ORIGNAL ARTWORK for £7 today... think it may be a new (re)-release? Looks better than the 2005 artwork, IMO and there was a gold traingle sticker in the top corner with "Original Artwork" written in the Moonwalker font.

Just to clear this. In full respect.
About 187 MegaPixel would be needed for every frame film if you want every detail possible in a 35mm film. A FULLHD film in 1080p is 1920x1080pixels and that's 2073600px which is 2Megapixels. So the raw 35mm film would be about 93times higher resolution then FULLHD. That's why, my friends, we have FULLHD films from the 50s and 60s. So yes, we will have FULLHD Michael Jackson videos soon and even MUCH HIGHER resolutions when the digital standards are up to it.

Edit: Just to be more honest to real applications:
35mm movies are in real life most often around 12 megapixels/frame. 187mpx is the theoretical maximum.
But, it's still about 6 times higher then FULLHD 1080p.

Yep, you are correct!

I was just trying to keep it simple, because some people don't understand what HD is, and I didn't want to confuse anyone anymore.

Basically if it was shot on film, it can be HD. How much work that needs to go into the project to make it HD is another story. Depends on how it was edited, and how the effects were created as well.

I would also like to make a correction to a previous post of mine. After watching the Another Part of Me concert video the other day, This might have been shot on film! I only watched a good transfer on youtube, so I can't tell for sure, but it may have been film after all. Let's hope it was film!

I have a copy of Moonwalker DVD. I don't think it is in good quality.

Is this possible? How can a movie made in the 80's be released on Bluray format

Well... being an ignorant in so many technical details, I just hope this will be release ASAP with the best possible quailty for my poor eyes. I also have Moonwalker on DVD and quality is great for me...but if they are having special no released material... well, I would love seeing that. HD or not... I just want to see it. "Idiot" as it might sound.....

:)

I have a copy of Moonwalker DVD. I don't think it is in good quality.

Is this possible? How can a movie made in the 80's be released on Bluray format

Moonwalker was filmed on 35mm film, which has a higher resoultion than HD.
When a new proper HD master is made from the original neg, it will be a world of difference.

ANYTHING shot on film and stored properly can have an HD transfer.

Slightly OT but...

HMV UK had Moonwalker on DVD with its ORIGNAL ARTWORK for £7 today... think it may be a new (re)-release? Looks better than the 2005 artwork, IMO and there was a gold traingle sticker in the top corner with "Original Artwork" written in the Moonwalker font.

Yes, this is exclusive to HMV and was released on 2nd November. Damn, I only just bought the normal DVD version! Maybe I'll spend £4.99 for the original cover version, but I'm not sure yet.

Moonwakler is very nice
Hoping to have the BD

Joe Jackson has ruined the word "Blu-Ray" for me - FOREVER.

I don't get it - how do you mean?

BTW will it released July 7th or in March? (someone told me March in another thread)

Amazing, I hope the same is for the UK too! I really need to replace my battered VHS copy of Moonwalker. This is awesome and cant wait to see all the extras!

Bluray will be released on May 31 in UK ;)
it's announced on releaselists.com

Slightly OT but...

Got this from Tesco a few nights ago for 4.97 euros & yes,the original artwork is so much nicer than the 2005 artwork.Good value for 4.97.

it is already available to preorder at hmv.com for £9.99
it is a hmv exclusive scheduled for 31.05.10

I am hoping the US & Canada will also get it. My VHS is ruined....and I was hoping to buy the DVD this christmas but it was sold out everywhere.

What does "Exclusive" exactly mean in this case? Is the UK BD only available at HMV??

Yay!!!!!!!!!! Still don't have a blu-ray player, but yay nonetheless! :)

the more Blurays such as this is it and moonwalker,are bought the more chance of even more MJ goodies being made available in hidef. Just imagine the bad concert in 1080p and lossless audio_OMG.

Back