Michael Jackson To Unleash World Premiere Experience At Billboard Music Awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Michael Jackson to Unleash World Premiere Experience At Billboard Music Awards

For what it's worth... Roger Friedman is reporting this morning that Michael's image will be performing to the song Slave to the Rhythm. And the group that did the Tupak performance a few years ago will be handling this.

It's one thing to recreate a Tupac walk, but a whole different kettle of fish digitally recreating the intricate movements of one of the greatest dancers who ever lived.

I am VERY apprehensive about this.

Presumably, if the Navi situation is to be believed, he is there as at least some kind of guide for the actual SINGING of Slave. Unless they've got footage of Michael singing it (unlikely!) or intend to create it digitally from scratch.

I really hope I am bowled over by this.

If it's not Michael's face, I'll know. And if it's not Michael dancing, I'll know.

Re: Michael Jackson to Unleash World Premiere Experience At Billboard Music Awards

That's the one I mentioned earlier. This was done years ago so hardly a new thing. And that is awful. Celine over singing as usual. Elvis may have hated her and her music. How dare they assume he would have even spoken to her, let alone performed with her. (for the record, I hate Elvis)

Why do you hate elvis?

It's one thing to recreate a Tupac walk, but a whole different kettle of fish digitally recreating the intricate movements of one of the greatest dancers who ever lived.

I am VERY apprehensive about this.

Presumably, if the Navi situation is to be believed, he is there as at least some kind of guide for the actual SINGING of Slave. Unless they've got footage of Michael singing it (unlikely!) or intend to create it digitally from scratch.

I really hope I am bowled over by this.

If it's not Michael's face, I'll know. And if it's not Michael dancing, I'll know.

If it's singing an xscape song it can use both videos and be created from scratch. The company can re-create and sync his jaw and moves with any song.

1,000th post!

I was excited after seeing the Tupac hologram years ago, but doing someone like Michael would be much harder I imagine, because he moves so much more. Its sure going to be interesting. If this goes well I imagine MJ paving the way for all the greats to take to the stage again. Id love to see Michael dance with Gene Kelly for one

If it's singing an xscape song it can use both videos and be created from scratch. The company can re-create and sync his jaw and moves with any song.

And how good are the results?

I think it's quite exciting news and I sure wouldn't miss this for the world! And why on earth can't those who aren't down with a possible hologram, respect the opinions and excitement of those of us who DO want it and think of it as a great idea? I don't see people being negative towards those who don't want it/think it's disrespectful. And why on earth was an impersonator brought up into this? :| ... anyway, I think it's exciting and YES, Zakk got it right when he said it'll definitely be a great thing for those of us who didn't get to see him live... a lot of us CAN'T get over that, it's easy for people who had the chance to, to say such thing but it's something you always wish had the chance to and this could be the closest thing to that. It's all about RESPECT people... :sigh: Rant over.
I never got to see Michael in person either, but unless they turned old footage into a hologram and presented it in its original state (which would basically just be a new way to present an old, existing performance Michael actually conducted - e.g., Motown 25, the holographic version), I am against the use of a hologram. Making 'Michael' perform songs he never performed is just incredibly tasteless and classless in my opinion. Yes, it would have been a dream come true for me to have seen Michael perform live, but it did not happen. I'd much rather just accept that than to cling to a holographic fantasy, which, beyond the fact that I find it disrespectful, will not compare to seeing Michael in person in any way, shape, or form anyway. To me, he lives on through all the amazing performances he gave during his lifetime. Of course I do respect your right to feel differently about it.

Even casting aside the ethical issue, I think it will be a difficult task to make this hologram look decent. If the rumours are true that movements by Navi (or any other impersonator for that matter) are going to be used, it's obviously not going to look like Michael. I saw a clip of the One hologram and it's clearly an impersonator, doing Billie Jean choreography to Man in the Mirror. It looked nothing like Michael. The average person might see a moonwalk and a leg kick and think "yeah, looks like Michael Jackson," but as fans we can instantly tell if the moves are not his.

If true the hologram will be made with the Dirty Diana short, why not using a more recent footage? It'd worse if they used an impersonator though.

I never got to see Michael in person either, but unless they turned old footage into a hologram and presented it in its original state (which would basically just be a new way to present an old, existing performance Michael actually conducted - e.g., Motown 25, the holographic version), I am against the use of a hologram. Making 'Michael' perform songs he never performed is just incredibly tasteless and classless in my opinion. Yes, it would have been a dream come true for me to have seen Michael perform live, but it did not happen. I'd much rather just accept that than to cling to a holographic fantasy, which, beyond the fact that I find it disrespectful, will not compare to seeing Michael in person in any way, shape, or form anyway. To me, he lives on through all the amazing performances he gave during his lifetime. Of course I do respect your right to feel differently about it.

Even casting aside the ethical issue, I think it will be a difficult task to make this hologram look decent. If the rumours are true that movements by Navi (or any other impersonator for that matter) are going to be used, it's obviously not going to look like Michael. I saw a clip of the One hologram and it's clearly an impersonator, doing Billie Jean choreography to Man in the Mirror. It looked nothing like Michael. The average person might see a moonwalk and a leg kick and think "yeah, looks like Michael Jackson," but as fans we can instantly tell if the moves are not his.

: Clapping:

Late Michael Jackson ‘to perform and make TV history’ at Billboard Music Awards
Joerg Sarbach / AP
By Robin Leach (contact)

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 | 11:35 a.m.

Eight new Michael Jackson tracks secretly recorded while he lived on and off in Las Vegas will be released on the album “Xscape” today, including the first single “Love Never Felt So Good” that was sneaked last week along with a duet version with Justin Timberlake.

More incredible is that on Sunday at the 2014 Billboard Music Awards at MGM Grand Garden Arena, the late King of Pop, who died on June 25, 2009, will make TV history yet again. He will be seen as he’s never been seen before.

None of my contacts at ABC or Dick Clark Productions will reveal even a hint of what to expect, but they do say that this “world premiere follows in the footsteps — or dance steps — of the King of Pop’s most wonderful previous television moments.”

Remember that Michael during his career popularized several dance techniques including the robot and the moonwalk. He even designed and patented shoes to accomplish those moves. His innovations for performances launched an era of inventive short films that catapulted the art of music video into pop culture.

Now the Estate of Michael Jackson has created a new experience from Michael’s vaults, and I’m assured that he will be seen like he’s never been seen before.
:wild:

“He will continue to influence countless artists in hip hop, contemporary R&B, pop and rock and roll. The entire music world will be watching and waiting for this,” I was told. “This will once again prove that he is the greatest entertainer of all time.”

Incredibly, Michael’s new single coupled with a duet version with Justin has now hit No. 5 in the USA, No. 1 in 17 countries and No. 5 in 67 countries. Estate executor John McClain, Las Vegas regular Paul Anka and Michael produced the song.

Michael is still a big record seller, to date more than 1 billion worldwide. He still holds the record for 13 No. 1 singles on the Hot 100 Billboard charts. Cirque du Soleil still hits record box office sales with its “Michael Jackson One,” which premiered last May at Mandalay Bay.

The worldwide “Immortal” touring show is now back in the USA for its second return leg this week in Florida with dates through July 19. “Immortal” has generated more than $340 million in ticket sales since its October 2011 tour began, and the troupe returned to the USA two months ago in February.

Vegas DeLuxe will have a full preview Friday, plus Twitter coverage from the red carpet and backstage during the Billboard Music Awards on Sunday, so be sure to check back often.

Robin Leach has been a journalist for more than 50 years and has spent the past decade giving readers the inside scoop on Las Vegas, the world’s premier platinum playground.

Follow Robin Leach on Twitter at Twitter.com/Robin_Leach.

Follow Vegas DeLuxe on Twitter at Twitter.com/vegasdeluxe.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/vegasdel...l-jackson-perform-and-make-tv-history-world-/

I'm so incredibly stoked for the "performance," you guys have no idea!!

I read Jamie King is the director for this (who better?!) and that's make it even more special!

Well, firstly, I don't think being excited or supporting an idea of this sort is 'clinging to a holographic fantasy'.... why? this will quite possibly be a one time event anyway and I much rather see 'Michael' or the old footage presented that way, than ANY of today's artists... ANY day. In fact, I think THIS is the only reason many of us will watch the BMAs this year.. Plus, if you truly respect my view on it, that's all that matters because at the end of the day I won't change my mind about it and you won't either. I would never think a hologram could bring the same experience as seeing the man live, I may be a dreamer but I'm not crazy and not seeing him live will just have to be one of the things I keep dreaming of for the rest of my life. Thing is, we'll just have to wait & see what happens next Sunday. Then the people who think negatively of it will be able to comment on an actual product and not just assume.

Last edited:

Well, firstly, I don't think being excited or supporting an idea of this sort is 'clinging to a holographic fantasy'.... why? this will quite possibly be a one time event anyway and I much rather see 'Michael' or the old footage presented that way, than ANY of today's artists... ANY day.
But there's so much actual Michael footage we can watch (e.g., releases of old concerts), rather than a hologram that is made to look like MJ. Like I said, personally I'd prefer it if they'd just focus on those kinds of projects.

Plus, if you truly respect my view on it, that's all that matters because at the end of the day I won't change my mind about it and you won't either.
I agree. I was not trying to change you or anyone's mind just to be clear, just stating how I personally feel about it. :)

Thing is, we'll just have to wait & see what happens next Sunday. Then the people who think negatively of it will be able to comment on an actual product and not just assume.
When it comes to the actual hologram (how good it looks, etc), yes, we have to wait until Sunday. But the ethical issue of whether the use of a hologram appropriate is something that can be discussed regardless of what the hologram looks like.

Apparently Justin Bieber will be in Las Vegas on Sunday.

Still hoping there will be a tour that follows this, they've created a new experience from Michael's vaults? surely that means it will be created from footage of the real Michael Jackson which will definitely give it a more worthy experience... looking forward to this, and enjoying all the hype surrounding Michael right now.

'vaults' interesting...

My brain is flooded... Idk how to contain it!! excited so so excited...

LOL! If he's not arrested before then for his latest legal troubles of attempted robbery.:yes:

He's not very well liked right now. Even the spectators at the basketball game he went to booed him when his face appeared on the screen.

LOL! If he's not arrested before then for his latest legal troubles of attempted robbery.:yes:

Being fair to the guy that is complete nonsense. I am in no way supporting him but that is complete nonsense. I really really hope they don't include ANY special guests as this is Michael Jackson making TV history not Michael Jackson with.. making TV history. MJ alone or nothing.

Being fair to the guy that is complete nonsense. I am in no way supporting him but that is complete nonsense. I really really hope they don't include ANY special guests as this is Michael Jackson making TV history not Michael Jackson with.. making TV history. MJ alone or nothing.

i love how you're looking forward to this now, and only a few days back you were saying ''this is too far, Michael being made into a cash cow'' why the constant change of thought may i ask????????

i love how you're looking forward to this now, and only a few days back you were saying ''this is too far, Michael being made into a cash cow'' why the constant change of thought may i ask????????

this is a disgusting use of a dead man pretending that he's alive to promote a cash flow idea LA Reid had. I am in no way looking forward to it but instead of sit and moan about how wrong it is, I just hope it is at least done right given what they are doing.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's not very well liked right now. Even the spectators at the basketball game he went to booed him when his face appeared on the screen.

But he is L.A.'s "man".

I knew that would cause a mini meltdown but let's look at the bright side... No I actually can't think of one..

Ugh I wish/hope the next single is either Xscape, Chicago or Loving You.. Like A.S.A.P!!!

But there's so much actual Michael footage we can watch (e.g., releases of old concerts), rather than a hologram that is made to look like MJ. Like I said, personally I'd prefer it if they'd just focus on those kinds of projects.

And I love all of it, but there's nothing wrong with some of us wanting to see them do something new with it.

I agree. I was not trying to change you or anyone's mind just to be clear, just stating how I personally feel about it. :)
Yes, same here ;)

When it comes to the actual hologram (how good it looks, etc), yes, we have to wait until Sunday. But the ethical issue of whether the use of a hologram appropriate is something that can be discussed regardless of what the hologram looks like.

Again, I don't think it's disrespectful or inappropriate at ALL, I would label many things as unethical or disrespectful (things that can be labeled as genuinely wrong and offensive) but this is certainly not one of 'em, that's why I don't have anything to say on that matter when it comes to the hologram.

Exciting Thread :clapping:

Has it ever been confirmed by the Estate that it was indeed a hologram? I read on news12 this morning (For you fellow Long Islanders), that a film company has bought the rights to a Michael Jackson documentary, could be the trailer for that. You know, it also ties to the "As you've never seen him before.." tagline.

Well we know now that Bieber won't be involved. This could be a historical peformance, definitely something that'll gain album promotion just in a cheap and unethical way for me.

this is a disgusting use of a dead man pretending that he's alive to promote a cash flow idea LA Reid had. I am in no way looking forward to it but instead of sit and moan about how wrong it is, I just hope it is at least done right given what they are doing.

They aren't "pretending" anything, if it does indeed turn out to be a hologram, Michael is gone. Everyone knows that, the fans in the audience will know that. It's the same thing with the Tupac hologram, no one ever implied, "we're bringing Tupac back from death" nor are they implying that here. So factually, realistically, they aren't pretending at all. It's not Michael, in body, that is. If the hologram is indeed the thing, then it's most likely will be comprised of past concert footages and actual movements Michael made while performing, just like the Tupac/Coachella one. With that, Michael is there in spirit, to the fans who truly want to believe that. You can't make then change they're minds, people never got to see Michael perform in person. When they're in that building this coming Sunday, and that hologram comes up and a performance is done, you don't think that place will be filled with spirit and aura of Michael Jackson? Because it will.

Are fans who've never gotten to see him live, not deserved that treat, because a minority may feel it's disrespectful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back