Michael Jackson's Record Sales ~merged~

Re: MJ #1 This Week In US, Set To Be #1 Next Week As Well

I hope he sales more than 20 milion albums!

Billboard issued a statement when Thriller 25 came out and they said the sales for Thriller 25 were NOT separate from the original Thriller and they would add them to the sales for Thriller (which is why Thriller was certified 28X platinum in March of this year).

Btw...there is a possibility now that Michael Jackson's Number Ones album could be #2 next week. It's a tight race with Fabolous' new album. Hits Daily Double is expecting both albums to sell about 100,000 copies so get out there and buy Number Ones to make it #1 for the 5th week!!

I wonder when they came up with this "catalog album" rule, because I remember Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" remained on the regular charts for years.

Btw...there is a possibility now that Michael Jackson's Number Ones album could be #2 next week. It's a tight race with Fabolous' new album. Hits Daily Double is expecting both albums to sell about 100,000 copies so get out there and buy Number Ones to make it #1 for the 5th week!!

Good idea.

Re: Michael Jackson's Record Sales

UPDATE

I have just learned that MJ sold 10 million records this year. About 9 since his death.

And he shipped around 18 million. So Come January I will update my entire list.

Because I believe his sales will be going strong round the world until at least Christmas.

UPDATE

I have just learned that MJ sold 10 million records this year. About 9 since his death.

And he shipped around 18 million. So Come January I will update my entire list.

Because I believe his sales will be going strong round the world until at least Christmas.

Not correct...

10 mil. albums + 12 mil. singles ... as far as I know...

Michael's combined albums and singles sales since his death are around 25 million. He's sold approximately 11 million albums and 14 million singles. In the US alone he has sold over 10 million (singles and albums sales combined) since his death.

Michael's combined albums and singles sales since his death are around 25 million. He's sold approximately 11 million albums and 14 million singles. In the US alone he has sold over 10 million (singles and albums sales combined) since his death.

Wow. Thats insane. He could sell 50 million by the end of the year. But how do you know this?

According to HitsDailyDouble, Sony has shipped 18 million Jackson albums so far this year. Here is the link where you can read: http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news07699

Also, the article mentions there is a new CD coming out that goes with the theatrical release coming out on Oct 30th.

Regarding album sales Jackson (after this week) has sold 10 million albums globally thus far and another 10-15 million singles plus 1 million dvd's taking the total units to 21-26 million.

According to HitsDailyDouble, Sony has shipped 18 million Jackson albums so far this year. Here is the link where you can read: http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news07699

Also, the article mentions there is a new CD coming out that goes with the theatrical release coming out on Oct 30th.

Regarding album sales Jackson (after this week) has sold 10 million albums globally thus far and another 10-15 million singles plus 1 million dvd's taking the total units to 21-26 million.

MJ album sales can never be accurately documented because places like China, which have billions of people, dont document record sales, because they dont have charts. Other places without official stats and charts are Russia, India and Turkey. So that gives you an indication why certain sources will say Thriller sold 55 million copies worldwide, and Sony, World Music Awards and Guiness World Records allowed 104 million to be documented back in 2006. 55 million is the worst estimate ever. Definitely has sold over 100 million. (P.S. if in November 2006, Thriller had sold 104 millon copies worldwide, the total has now far exceeded 110 million worldwide)

Last edited:

i've never believed the 750 million records that gets touted as the number of records michael jackson sold. he was popular but he wasnt that popular - no offence. when you do the numbers for each record and single it just doesnt add up. and record companies regularly inflate their artists sales to make them look even more impressive.

i've never believed the 750 million records that gets touted as the number of records michael jackson sold. he was popular but he wasnt that popular - no offence. when you do the numbers for each record and single it just doesnt add up. and record companies regularly inflate their artists sales to make them look even more impressive.

2uho4m0.gif

Don't ever speak such nonsense.

As stated there is no way to accurately measure record sales. It's difficult to count them now, just imagine how difficult it was in the 70s and 80s without the technology we have now. Just going on known record sales, Mike has sold 300mil+. Think about ppl all over the world who have purchased thru online stores, at music retailers, ppl who have replaced old records, digital sales (iTunes, Rhapsody, WMP, etc), items purchased at tour stops, etc, over the course of 22 years, 750mil records does seem logical.

many people dont believe the 750 million figure. im one of them. people say the beatles sold 1 billion records and abba 450 million. again im not sure how people come up with those numbers. simply put no entertainer or group is likely to have sold that many. most people agree michael jackson sold around 350 million records (albums and singles) which sounds more plausible but each to their own. people believe what they want to believe.

two things also to bear in mind:

-it's hard to account for global sales, because I don't think that there is any industry that calculates or even has an eye on how much a record is selling any moment in places like India or China (which are potentially huge markets). Tracking down cumulative sales outside the western world is very hard.
- When reading on MJ sales in the last decade, we must bear in mind that 'Vince' had zero promotion from Sony, to the degree that no commercial singles' release was materialized.. Even 'You Rock my world', which according to all sources would be a sure billboard no.1, was cancelled at the last moment..
imo, 'Vince' could be huge if promoted right. Maybe that is a good point for Sony to start now, -if they wanna prove to the world and the fans that they are keen in remaining MJ's company hereafter and secure his legacy..

its true. regardless what the public thinks the record companies often just invent a record tally. i remember reading somewhere about the 750 million records sold and it wasnt confirmed by sony and had been invented by someone in the media and like so much sloppy journalism these days oft repeated by other people too lazy to do the research. i remember reading that someone said madonna had sold 500 million records and i was like what!!!!? where on earth do they get these figures from? even abba at 450 million sounds fishy. i mean their biggest seller is abba gold (the greatest hits release) which i think sold 25 million or something like that. and madonnas biggest seller was immaculate collection (again a greatest hits) which i think has sold 30 million or somewhere around that number. even when media say beatles sold 1 billion records i was like !!!!!!

two things also to bear in mind:

-it's hard to account for global sales, because I don't think that there is any industry that calculates or even has an eye on how much a record is selling any moment in places like India or China (which are potentially huge markets). Tracking down cumulative sales outside the western world is very hard.
- When reading on MJ sales in the last decade, we must bear in mind that 'Vince' had zero promotion from Sony, to the degree that no commercial singles' release was materialized.. Even 'You Rock my world', which according to all sources would be a sure billboard no.1, was cancelled at the last moment..
imo, 'Vince' could be huge if promoted right. Maybe that is a good point for Sony to start now, -if they wanna prove to the world and the fans that they are keen in remaining MJ's company hereafter and secure his legacy..

Wow. Thats insane. He could sell 50 million by the end of the year. But how do you know this?

From just adding up sales in differrent countries week by week and sales on the mediatraffic album chart. Its highly likely that Michael has sold more than what has been reported because Mediatraffic only covers a certain amount of territories and doesn't cover every single country in the world and Michael is an artist that sells extremely well everywhere. Also some countries have weird restrictions preventing albums that are below a certain price from entering the main chart which causes problems in calculating sales. If you add up the sales that have been reported by mediatraffic for albums then its around 10.5 million but you need to add onto that sales of albums/compilations that have not charted on mediatraffic such as Blood On The Dancefloor, Greatest Hits - HIStory Vol 1, Ben, Got To Be There, Farewell My Summer Love, The Ultimate Collection, Michael Jackson Gold, Michael Jackson Classic, just to name a few (there are many more) and so then you will get roughly 11 million albums.

Record companies often suggest that artist X has Y million UNITS.
Often the media and public assume that means albums when it doesn't, and of course the record company are happy for that misconception to be held.

There is no documented evidence for Mike to have sold 750million records, or Elvis/Beatles 1 billion, or ABBA 450million. It's just not true.

Now, if we're talking units that could be a different story. Units can include albums, singles, ringtones, DVDs etc. In fact I read somewhere a while ago that 1 single = 1 unit. 1 album = 2 units. 1 video/DVD = 1unit etc.

I may be wrong, but when they talked about Thriller selling 104million originally, wasn't it more like "thriller has generated sales of 104million"? Again, that can be taken to mean albums sold, but more likely they're talking units. Whatever they meant, Thriller is by far the biggest selling album using documented evidence only.

excellent post! i think originally they said thriller had sold 65 million copies (prior to the death of mj). abba 450 million? nah and beatles and elvis 1 billion! yeah right - not!

Record companies often suggest that artist X has Y million UNITS.
Often the media and public assume that means albums when it doesn't, and of course the record company are happy for that misconception to be held.

There is no documented evidence for Mike to have sold 750million records, or Elvis/Beatles 1 billion, or ABBA 450million. It's just not true.

Now, if we're talking units that could be a different story. Units can include albums, singles, ringtones, DVDs etc. In fact I read somewhere a while ago that 1 single = 1 unit. 1 album = 2 units. 1 video/DVD = 1unit etc.

I may be wrong, but when they talked about Thriller selling 104million originally, wasn't it more like "thriller has generated sales of 104million"? Again, that can be taken to mean albums sold, but more likely they're talking units. Whatever they meant, Thriller is by far the biggest selling album using documented evidence only.

The thing is if SONY or RIIA is going to update their official "numbers" and statistics, after that the world music and music reporters can state Michael is the KING, without this only we - the fans can be "happy" how successful Michael is, but rest of the world will be lukewarm to the records Michael is making...

Many great points made. And as far as sales in India and China. I was talking to some chart gurus about this and one said this:

"'Bad' sold 150k in India up to 1989. That puts it easily among the best sellers ever there. Thriller and Dangerous sold probably around the same, all should be at 150/200k now.

In China, both Dangerous and Bad are among the best sellers ever too with close to 500k each."

And just to let everyone know, those sales I have on the first page DON'T include downloads.

Many great points made. And as far as sales in India and China. I was talking to some chart gurus about this and one said this:

"'Bad' sold 150k in India up to 1989. That puts it easily among the best sellers ever there. Thriller and Dangerous sold probably around the same, all should be at 150/200k now.

In China, both Dangerous and Bad are among the best sellers ever too with close to 500k each."

And just to let everyone know, those sales I have on the first page DON'T include downloads.

150k - does it mean 150,000? 1.5 mill.?

Only Michael Jackson. This does make he very happy, and makes the job of keeping his music alive and making sure he still breakes record a whole lot easier =)

^^^ 150k means 150,000 :).

Thats something...

Back