Michael's harmonies

Both chords he uses at the end for the harmonies are 4 note chords, hence four part harmonies, and then you have him addlibing over it, its like wow

OMG yeah, it's almost like it fans out or something. The notes are so wide open that it almost seems like it shouldn't work, but it does perfectly. Gosh, amazing doesn't even do it justice.

OMG yeah, it's almost like it fans out or something. The notes are so wide open that it almost seems like it shouldn't work, but it does perfectly. Gosh, amazing doesn't even do it justice.

I just love that section of the song, you have the four notes in the harmonies further backed by the funky synth and the new jack swing beat, then you have synth lines weaving over the top between the chord changes. And then the strings rise up, which you can here well at 3:49 in the track, there is like 6 or 7 notes at once going on there, between the harmonies and the backing music, it's such a warm awesome sound, it frazzles my brain lol. I only hear such richness in classical symphonies or highly sophisticad jazz etc. Ive never heard it in other pop tracks, queen use it in bohemian rapsody, but they have live 5 notes going on in total for the intro, remember the time has like 7. His music was so much better written than all other pop, and the fact he wasn't musically trained shows it's really something from within, he's a genius :)

I just love that section of the song, you have the four notes in the harmonies further backed by the funky synth and the new jack swing beat, then you have synth lines weaving over the top between the chord changes. And then the strings rise up, which you can here well at 3:49 in the track, there is like 6 or 7 notes at once going on there, between the harmonies and the backing music, it's such a warm awesome sound, it frazzles my brain lol. I only hear such richness in classical symphonies or highly sophisticad jazz etc. Ive never heard it in other pop tracks, queen use it in bohemian rapsody, but they have live 5 notes going on in total for the intro, remember the time has like 7. His music was so much better written than all other pop, and the fact he wasn't musically trained shows it's really something from within, he's a genius :)

I just listened, I totally see what you mean. It gives me chills! I agree, it's definitely raw genius with Michael, like it just oozes from him. Didn't he say he wanted to bind his soul to his work or something like that? I really believe he achieved it. Just awesome. Thanks for your posts in here by the way, I find them so interesting! :)

and I can't stand looking at your siggy :p cute..

btt.
also in the chorus for scream is a harmony as you describes here. sometimes his harmonies reminds me of the ones that african natives makes when they sing together to have fun. think about it. i'm thinking about the CORE of the harmonies. not the exact way he sings it.
This made me think of "They don't care about us." :wild: The beat was perfect with the sound of Olodum that reminds me of the African drums. :punk:

I just listened, I totally see what you mean. It gives me chills! I agree, it's definitely raw genius with Michael, like it just oozes from him. Didn't he say he wanted to bind his soul to his work or something like that? I really believe he achieved it. Just awesome. Thanks for your posts in here by the way, I find them so interesting! :)

something like that. It's so much fun to analyse michaels music. The best time to really here these little intricate things is when your lying in your bed with the light off, total silence around you, close your eyes, turn off all your other senses and just listen.......... thats the only time i feel i am truely listening to something, it's a facinating journey of discovery you go on :)

something like that. It's so much fun to analyse michaels music. The best time to really here these little intricate things is when your lying in your bed with the light off, total silence around you, close your eyes, turn off all your other senses and just listen.......... thats the only time i feel i am truely listening to something, it's a facinating journey of discovery you go on :)

Yes definitely. I have to be careful when I do it though because it makes me hyper and I can't sleep for hours! :ninja:

Oh, what a great thread! I am too absolutely AMAZED ad his harmonies....so lush, and just out of this world...gaaaaaah...I can't even describe it! :wub:

ok these aren't MJ, there Janet but the harmonies are great on these too :) (I think we should make a thread about amazing harmonies in general :)):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbHvLLDKpyQ If someone could embed that for me, as i don't know how to :) Just listen to that from 3:22 to 3:31 so awesome, i like to roll my eyeballs at that bit, like im in some insane simulator like mike does when his head spins 360 degrees lol. I think those harmonies are hugely important to that signature michael feel, when he says he feel it in his dance. It's the harsh beats in billie jean that make him wanna do the crotch grab LOL, but i think it's these kinds of swelling harmonies that make him wanna do that kind of thing when he glides are pushed his head around his shoulders when it kind if flows etc. Notice in scream live in prague, the small clip on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlQZLHxXmq4 he does the move i mean when harmonys i mentioned earlier come in, and then when the harsh broken glass beat comes back in, he goes back to harsh robotics and tapping his feat. It just helps to show the importance of the harmonys, and how they enhance his moves, which are the visuals etc. He really knew how to use sound :)

Ahh OK, yes it does make sense. Thanks.

Sometimes I liken it to the music of Boyz II Men, if you remember them. They were famous for their amazing harmonies. Now imagine Michael being to do that all by himself and being able to thicken out the song, giving it new dimensions, in that manner.

One my favorite example comes from Leave Me Alone. The stacked vocal harmonies really make that song for me. I'm not a musician, but I remember listening to it one day and thinking to myself "Damn I hear him back there." I realized that when he did that it made the song so much richer, giving it more depth. This also the reason I really like Remember the Time as well as the ad-libbing. YRMW included.

There is only a few people that can do perfect harmony to their lead vocals and Michael is on the top of my list.He worked hard to make sure his harmony is correct and funky along with his beatbox. I'll miss that most of all along with his smile,His Style and what's on his mind at the moment. Blues Away,Off The Wall,Billie Jean,Speed Demon, Leave Me Alone, BAD, Do The Bart Man, Dangerous, Remember The Time, You Rock My World,Etc... I could just block out the lead and drift on the Background Vocals everytime. Man what a genius he really was and He'll be remembered for his wonderful work. All I ask is why take him away from us when he did nothing to nobody but try to take care of his kids and give all who love him L.O.V.E .

Yes that bit is stunning it's hard to notice it in the track, i really think that track is the best of the lot to demonstrate michaels use of harmony. 1:43 = Heaven :)

Thanks for that example! He has the "go on and on and on" LITERALLY going on and on and on at 1:43. That's just ingenuity for ya.

LOVE the piano intro.
I am usually in utter love with the start of the bridge in 'Is It Scary'.
3:30. LOVE THE BRIDGE.
Love the chorus, the choir in the chorus is so simple, but it's amazing. I love listening to it through a headset so I don't miss the layers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zE5T64sKBc&feature=related

Another piece of harmonious ingenuity is "Ghosts". I don't even know which part I like best- I am gasping in pleasure throughout the whole song, if you will. I love the opening.
That layered choir is all over the song. Can only be experienced, not described. It just goes UP UP UP.

Another piece of harmonious ingenuity is "Ghosts". I don't even know which part I like best- I am gasping in pleasure throughout the whole song, if you will. I love the opening.
That layered choir is all over the song. Can only be experienced, not described. It just goes UP UP UP.

ghosts is one of my favorites too.. you cant even pick a place in the song that is better. :D

Thanks for that example! He has the "go on and on and on" LITERALLY going on and on and on at 1:43. That's just ingenuity for ya.

LOVE the piano intro.
I am usually in utter love with the start of the bridge in 'Is It Scary'.
3:30. LOVE THE BRIDGE.
Love the chorus, the choir in the chorus is so simple, but it's amazing. I love listening to it through a headset so I don't miss the layers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zE5T64sKBc&feature=related

LOL, thats my video for it to :O he he, one of my old ones :)

what exactly do you mean by "harmonies"? I really know nothing about music so can someone please explain it to me?

what exactly do you mean by "harmonies"? I really know nothing about music so can someone please explain it to me?

A harmony is usually the results of several notes together, played or sung at once. Let's say you play three notes together and that sound is a chord, a harmony.

Here's another explanation.
http://www.empire.k12.ca.us/capistrano/mike/capmusic/harmony/harmony1.htm

Chords

A chord makes harmony. A chord is when three tones are played at the same time. Here is what a chord looks like. Chords move in a vertical line (up and down).
interv19.gif

That's a beginning. Harmonies can have many more notes than just three stacked on top of each other. A harmony is basically notes played together at once that "layer". They don't always have to be "harmonic", and what is considered "harmonic sound" has changed a lot over the last few hundred years of western music.

But basically a "harmony" is just the sound you get when you play or sing several notes at the same time.

hm... yeah I think I got it... yeah MJ does a fantastic job with them.

Its good to know I'm not the only one that does this when listening to music. A lot of people dont understand that listening to music is an activity.

But to get on topic, Someone Put Your Hand Out has great harmonies in the chorus. Also, the harmonies in Why You Wanna Trip On Me are often overlooked. They're in the background of the chorus ("why why why do you wanna trip on, why.") They add a certain ambience to the song

Its good to know I'm not the only one that does this when listening to music. A lot of people dont understand that listening to music is an activity.

But to get on topic, Someone Put Your Hand Out has great harmonies in the chorus. Also, the harmonies in Why You Wanna Trip On Me are often overlooked. They're in the background of the chorus ("why why why do you wanna trip on, why.") They add a certain ambience to the song

YEEEES! I love "why you wanna trip on me", as all New Jack Swing songs from that collaboration.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE "Is It Scary" and "Ghosts" for his use of the "ethereal choir", I love how Ghosts starts with the choir and then he sort of cuts them off and lets them come back. The choir harmonies let the song float.

I almost exclusively listen to his music with decent headsets at this point (like a lot of classical music) because I can't subject my neighbors to the volume it would require because of the details you miss otherwise. I LOVE his music LOUD.

I love the harmonies of 2Bad. Right in the beginning "but TOO BAD, TOO BAD". Very simply, very short- but what an effect.

Also love "In the closet" for the the harmonies in the chorus, ("something about you baby that makes me want to give it to you") it's not that obvious and sort of look like chords from a piano score sung- but man, it WORKS!

Also a big friend of the arrangement of "They don't care about us". After he sings "tell me what has become of my life" I adore the background harmonies going down.

Last edited:
YEEEES! I love "why you wanna trip on me", as all New Jack Swing songs from that collaboration.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE "Is It Scary" and "Ghosts" for his use of the "ethereal choir", I love how Ghosts starts with the choir and then he sort of cuts them off and lets them come back. The choir harmonies let the song float.

I almost exclusively listen to his music with decent headsets at this point (like a lot of classical music) because I can't subject my neighbors to the volume it would require because of the details you miss otherwise. I LOVE his music LOUD.

I love the harmonies of 2Bad. Right in the beginning "but TOO BAD, TOO BAD". Very simply, very short- but what an effect.

Also love "In the closet" for the the harmonies in the chorus, ("something about you baby that makes me want to give it to you") it's not that obvious and sort of look like chords from a piano score sung- but man, it WORKS!

Also a big friend of the arrangement of "They don't care about us". After he sings "tell me what has become of my life" I adore the background harmonies going down.

Yes, michael's music sounds amazing loud. Someone put your hand out, is like wow, a trumpet solo as well, so rich :)

Man, there's so many good ones to pick from! Quite honestly, I think the songs got better as Michael's career went on, harmony/background layering-wise. Take 2 Bad for example. The background-only version of that song is on this forum somewhere, I think in this section. Take a listen, if you haven't already. You WILL be blown away!

I've always loved the harmonies in 'Leave Me Alone'...:wub:

Back