Mj dancers or immitators can you help me with something

dancemasterman

Proud Member
Hi there. I am one of those fans who immitates MJ's dancing. I never really took the time to teach myself. One day when I was a little kid I just realized I could do it really good so I kept doing it. Any dance moves I didn't know how to do I didn't bother teaching myself. I would just freestyle all the time listening to his music and every now and then unexpectedly I would do a move I never knew how to do, and from that point on I would know how to do that then said move.

Rescently it's been bothering me because as good as I am I should have taken the time to perfect it and make it even better. I won the talent show at my school two years ago and this year I plan to do Thriller so I've been teaching myself the routine which I'm learning very quickly with ease. the fact that I'm learning it so easy only fuels my regret over not working to be as good at this as I could be.

Anyways I need some advice from those of you here who can dance like MJ. The spin where he lands on his knees. I can do it but it hurts. Whenever I do it afterwords my legs feel too tired and sore to keep dancing with the same energy and precision. It takes a lot out of me for the next few minutes.

Is there a technique any of you know to this that you can explain to me? In the grammy man in the mirror performance he does this so many times and still maintains his energy and ability to dance as if it didn't phase him at all.

Also in Jam the little number he does here at 4:09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_FBa8B69Uc

can anybody mention some performances with different camera angles that could make it easier for me to teach myself that?

And last but not least. is there some kind of technique to spinning 4 times? I can only do two without messing up.

I appreciate your thoughts, advice, and help. This year when I do my performance it's starting out as a solo act before my back up dancers join me on stage for Thriller and I really want to do this justice. Despite the fact that everybody says I was awesome two years ago I cringe when I think about it. It could have been so much better if I hadn't procrastinated on preparing for it untill three days before the show :(

Hey there,

For spinning and falling I'm sure MJ wore knee pads or something under his pants. That would be murder on the knees :lol:

For spinning 4 times, try to balance on one foot or just on your toes. Watch MJ's spins in BOW and Smooth Criminal you can see he balances on one foot ;)

For the Jam move, I'd suggest Bucharest 92 since its the clearest version of the dance. Really what I do is take the video and watch it in SUPER slow mo and it works out just fine ;)

Any more questions? Feel free to send me a PM ;)

Hey there,

For spinning and falling I'm sure MJ wore knee pads or something under his pants. That would be murder on the knees :lol:

For spinning 4 times, try to balance on one foot or just on your toes. Watch MJ's spins in BOW and Smooth Criminal you can see he balances on one foot ;)

For the Jam move, I'd suggest Bucharest 92 since its the clearest version of the dance. Really what I do is take the video and watch it in SUPER slow mo and it works out just fine ;)

Thanks :) I had suspected knee pads before but I thought it might slow the movements down or you might be able to see them under the pants, and even if nobody knows they see it it could still disrupt the illusion, but I'm going to go to some sports shops and check em out because as of right now there is no way I'll be able to pull it off and keep going.

I'm checking out your advice on the spin. I wanted to ask. It truly looks as if he's doing it on both feet. Can you do it four times? and if so is he creating the illusion of both feet by having one foot just like a centimeter highter than the other? At least if you can do it, is that how you do it?

Okay I've been watching real close, gonna go attempt the spin with this new method. I'm pretty sure he just has one foot like half a centimeter higher than the other. I wish I would have worked on this finetuning years ago. I'm 28 now and I've been smoking for like 12 years. I worry that I've already peaked physically.

He's creating the illusion that he's spinning on both feet but really he's spinning on one and the other foot is tucked into the middle of the spinning foot.

Hope that's not confusing haha.

He's creating the illusion that he's spinning on both feet but really he's spinning on one and the other foot is tucked into the middle of the spinning foot.

Hope that's not confusing haha.

No I get it. Now that you pointed it out, I see it's the heel that is tucked in. I would go try it like that but I'm really dizzy after just having tried it over and over again.

No I get it. Now that you pointed it out, I see it's the heel that is tucked in. I would go try it like that but I'm really dizzy after just having tried it over and over again.

like everyone has mentioned, his foot is tucked in. maybe this video can help you as it helped me. and you are right, it gets very dizzying. :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvK_R3dh54M

when i do my knee drop i just kind of time it,like when ur spinning kind of...idk how to explain it lol... when ur spininng fast on the last pin be4 the drop kind wind down and then drop if that makes sense lol youll be spinnin so when u drop itll look like u did a free fall.

and as for the 4 spins do as they mention above lol

Best of luck on doing the 4x spin! as everyone else said it is on one foot but looks like two....it took me years to figure that out :lol:

If I could do one spin I would be happy haha......I am not good at spinning, I just fall over lol

Hi there. I am one of those fans who immitates MJ's dancing. I never really took the time to teach myself. One day when I was a little kid I just realized I could do it really good so I kept doing it. Any dance moves I didn't know how to do I didn't bother teaching myself. I would just freestyle all the time listening to his music and every now and then unexpectedly I would do a move I never knew how to do, and from that point on I would know how to do that then said move.

Rescently it's been bothering me because as good as I am I should have taken the time to perfect it and make it even better. I won the talent show at my school two years ago and this year I plan to do Thriller so I've been teaching myself the routine which I'm learning very quickly with ease. the fact that I'm learning it so easy only fuels my regret over not working to be as good at this as I could be.

Anyways I need some advice from those of you here who can dance like MJ. The spin where he lands on his knees. I can do it but it hurts. Whenever I do it afterwords my legs feel too tired and sore to keep dancing with the same energy and precision. It takes a lot out of me for the next few minutes.

Is there a technique any of you know to this that you can explain to me? In the grammy man in the mirror performance he does this so many times and still maintains his energy and ability to dance as if it didn't phase him at all.

Also in Jam the little number he does here at 4:09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_FBa8B69Uc

can anybody mention some performances with different camera angles that could make it easier for me to teach myself that?

And last but not least. is there some kind of technique to spinning 4 times? I can only do two without messing up.

I appreciate your thoughts, advice, and help. This year when I do my performance it's starting out as a solo act before my back up dancers join me on stage for Thriller and I really want to do this justice. Despite the fact that everybody says I was awesome two years ago I cringe when I think about it. It could have been so much better if I hadn't procrastinated on preparing for it untill three days before the show :(

Sounds great! Do you have any videos you could show us of your dance moves?

Hey there,

Bang on. I was performing once, I did a spin and fell on my knees, trying to do what Michael did. It hurt. :D

I do it all the time without knee pads. Not too often though.

You dont really land on your knees, you land on the very top of your shin, just under your knee cap. Of course.

Michael does where knee pads and stuff. If you check out the Jackson 5 reunion stuff on You tube, he's wearing protective leg stuff on that - at least I think that's what it is! Also, check out www.Anthonyking.com I go to his classes in Covent Garden and he's fantastic, been doing these moves all his life. You sound fairly advanced but these classes are for all levels and he works a lot on form - it makes all the difference. Keep it up, dancing machine! :)

I think I'm figuring out the spin. going to take a little practice though. but I can only a few minutes of practice on that a day because afterwards I'm just really dizzy with a headache for the rest of the night. so it also has to be right before I go to sleep so I don't have to have the headache all day.

I have been practicing heavily on Billie Jean. I won't broaden my Michael Jackson dance moves until I feel comfortable with my Billie Jean. lol

spinning: daily practise the 1st excercise in the Tibetan Rejuvenation Rites (google it). This alone got me spinning fast, balanced, & remain centred at the end of a spin. At the end of the excercise you stand still and breathe, eyes closed, and feel the spinning continueing OUTSIDE of yourself - while you remain centred, balanced & calm. Cured me of dizziness!

dropping in a spin: practise falling onto cushions/foam mattress first! yes this stuff is strenuous & tiring - so practise regularly and build up the muscular strength!

health: 28 is not too old! i'm older than that lol :) it is harder with smoking (i started a year ago :/ ) but this stuff really is easier if you take care of your health. green juices, & a good diet help, and MSM REALLY helps (natural sulphur product, makes your tissues regenerate quicker and muscles get super flexible and stronger), and Vitalzym REALLY helps me too.

i haven't watched those spins closely yet, but when i'm figuring out a move i always watch in super-slow motion, and work out one millisecond at a time what foot/arm is going where :)

Are the anthony king lessons very expensive to keep going to? I saw that you need membership to Pineapple before payng for the class itself?

Are the anthony king lessons very expensive to keep going to? I saw that you need membership to Pineapple before payng for the class itself?

It's cheaper if you are a member of Pineapple which is £100 for the year (I think). If your not a member you pay £4 to pineapple when you go in and £6 to Anthony. I feel it's really worth it, best dance class I've ever been to.

I'm teaching myself Thriller. I almost have it, except for mirror-imaging and loosening up.

You can see that he and Janet are wearing knee pads in the break-dance of the "Scream" music video.

I need to try some of these exercises as well...I suck at turning!

I would love to see your dancing!

Back