MJJC Q&A: Steve Barron- Submit Your questions now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello MJFam! We have some exciting news to share with you all- MJJC will be holding a Q&A session with Steve Barron, famed film and music video director and producer. Mr. Barron has worked on such movies as the original 1990 version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, 1993's Coneheads, and the video for "Take On Me" by A-Ha. More famously though, Mr. Barron is known for his work with Michael Jackson on the Billie Jean music video.

steve_barron_20071210.jpg

stevebarron_3119119b.jpg

mj_3129140b.jpg

short-film-billie-jean-steve-barron-L-98KOji.jpeg

Steve has also written a book which was just released back in November called "Egg n Chips & Billie Jean: A Trip Through the Eighties". This is a summary of the book from Amazon.com:

Throughout the 80's, when the music scene was at its most vibrant and exciting, and the pop video was king, there was one man that every artist wanted on their side. Michael Jackson, Madonna, A-ha, Dire Straits, the Human League and a hundred more - all called on Steve Barron to bring his creative genius to their videos, making Barron one of the most sought after and successful video makers of the decade. In this vivid and highly entertaining memoir he lifts the lid on life on both sides of the camera, to bring you the definite insider’s guide on the most tumultuous period in pop music.
-- Mick Brown

You can read more about Egg n Chips here at MJJCommunity: http://www.mjjcommunity.com/news/egg-n-chips-billie-jean

If you are interested in getting yourself a copy, you can find his book on Amazon and get it delivered straight to your Kindle or Kindle-enabled device!

MJJC would like to offer you, the fans, the opportunity to ask Mr. Barron your questions. We will keep this thread open for 7 days- it will close on January 15, 2015. So if you have any questions, please get them into us quickly! Either leave them as a message in this thread, send us a private message on Facebook or Twitter, or leave a message in the comments on Facebook. Make sure to leave your name and where you are from, also, so he knows who's asking him these questions :)

This Q&A is special for MJJC as it will be the first that we will play over the air on MJJCommunity Radio (dates and times to come later; we will post an announcement). We will also have the Q&A available in text format as we've always done in the past for you to read through at your leisure.

Please, make sure to pass this on to everyone you know and get your questions in before January 15th!

Best of luck!

- Team MJJC

First of all, thank you for this wonderful opportunity.

Secondly, i would like to ask; How was Michael's attitude on set? we all know he was craving his perfected vision to become a reality, but was he also lenient with the crew? i.e did he have a sense of humor, when surrounded by the camera's? Also.. the significance of this short film transcends the meaning of the song, the artistry that you and Michael created together to pave a story of such a deep topic is wonderful, and i hope we see a high resolution scan in the future.. to really feel the magic that i'm sure was present on set each day!

Can you tell us a funny memory from the time you spent with Michael?

Did Michael speak with you about his desire to perform this song on stage, and that when he was innovating the dance on the sidewalk.. he had future performances in mind?

How did you meet Michael?

How excite was Michael about doing the Billy Jean short film?

What was it like working with Michael Jackson?

Last edited:
Did Michael contribute in any other way for the short film besides the dance sequences? Was it your idea Michael wearing that leather tuxedo?

How did he influence you in your later work?

Thank you for this Q&A. It'll be interesting. :)

Hello, Mr. Barron.

Do you remember Michael Jackson's reaction to the final version of the Billie Jean music video? Did you continue to listen to Michael's music after doing the video?

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. :)

Hello Mr. Barron,

Did Michael ever talk about his personal creative process with you. Also can you speak of a moment, or moments, that stand out for you that showcased that.

Thank you

Dear Mr. Barron,

1. What was the 'inspiration' behind the name of your book "Egg n Chips & Billie Jean"

2. Can you tell us a bit about the schedule, the hours, how an 'usual' shooting day was when you did "Billie Jean"?

3. You worked with other artists, did you do anything 'different' working with Michael Jackson?

Thanks for doing an Q & A with MJJC

Hello, Mr.Barron. Thank you for all your lovely work. What an honour to have worked with the King! Please tell us what, according to you was that one quality that distinguished Michael from other artists/celebrities in the show business. Do you remember any fun moment you shared, and do you think Michael would be happy with the songs and videos (and the way they are being created) that are being released now after June, 2009?

Thanks, and regards. ~ Ankita S., India

I wonder about the cloth with tiger stripes that later became a tigercub, whose idea was it and what does it really mean?

I want to know more about the homeless man who became rich- or did he just got better clothes?
Anyone can have their own ideas about it but what was the purpose about it when you made the video?
Whose idea was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back