moonstreets anything you need to know about London / The 02 thread

How much does a ticket cost , I mean for the tube ?

Is the tube opened during the night? When is the first train? And the last one?

thankyou

First and last trains to and from Greenwich North

Westbound to Wilesden Green
first train 05.22 (sundays 0714)
last train 0016 (sundays 2341)
trains run every 3 to 5 minutes

Westbound to Stanmore
first train 0522 (Sundays 0714)
last train 0016 (Sundays 2341)
trains run every 3 to 8 minutes

Eastbound to Stratford
first train 0545 (Sundays 0746)
last train 0104 (Sundays 0019)
trains run every 3 to 6 minutes

Tube prices vary you can get a single journey ticket, a return journey ticket, a weekly ticket or use pay as you go

The best thing to do is to an oyster card

have a look at this website
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oysteronline/2732.aspx
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/1067.aspx
https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do

if u are gonna be there for 4 days or more than id say yes. a travel card is around £6 plus a day. an oyster for the week is around £26.so it depends on how long you are gonna stay

moonstreet is it worth getting an oyster card for london transport if we are going for a few days?

yes, get an oyster card as it is the easiest way to travel around London. You can use it as a pay as you go or as a weekly travel card, depending on how long you will be in London. If you will be in London 1 to 4 days, it is better to use pay as you go. This means that you can just put money onto the oyster card and it deducts money for every journey, up to a maximum of £5.50, which is your daily cap. This means you can still travel as much as you want but no more money will be taken off your card. Unused credit on a pay as you go oyster card will be stored and is valid for your next visit.

If you are staying in London for 4 to 7 days and only travelling in zones 1 and 2, ( central London and The O2) it might be a better option to get a weekly travel card. This costs £28.50, and gives you unlimited travel on all bus and tubes in zones 1 and 2 for 7 days.

Oyster cards are availble from all tube station ticket offices and station staff are very helpful if you are still confused.

Hey, moonstreet, thank u so much for answering our questions..
I've been to London in 2001, but I used public transportation...so I wanted to know roughly how much is to rent a compact/simple car for, lets say, a week? and how much are gasoline prices?

Also, do u have any idea of how far from stage is block A2?? I mean, its the nearest...but I'll be in the row H, do u have a guess on how far that is??

Thank u so much in advance! :flowers:

hey moonstreet :) thank you for opening this thread!

look, me and my friends booked room in the london home stay hostel in eltham (had to be cheap, lol, so there was no budget for anything else lol). im landing in luton and i am planning to take the easybus transfer to victoria station and from there to eltham. from eltham is a bus line directly to the o2 if my information and research is correct or.

i would like to know what type of travelcard (which zones) i need for my stay for going to central london and the o2 from eltham. are these travelcards valid for just tube or for everything (bus, railway, tram, tube). how much is a normal bus ticket?

and i was reading bout that oyster card but honestly i didnt understand it completely. can you explain a bit more about it and how it works?

thank you so much in advance already :)

Hey, moonstreet, thank u so much for answering our questions..
I've been to London in 2001, but I used public transportation...so I wanted to know roughly how much is to rent a compact/simple car for, lets say, a week? and how much are gasoline prices?

Also, do u have any idea of how far from stage is block A2?? I mean, its the nearest...but I'll be in the row H, do u have a guess on how far that is??

Thank u so much in advance! :flowers:

Most people who live in London and the majority of tourists just use public transport in London. If you are positive you want to rent a car and not use public transport than there is something you should know about driving in London. The British Government introduced a CONGESTION CHARGE FOR ALL CARS, LORRIES, BUSES etc which drive in and around London.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/congestioncharging/

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/congestioncharging/6718.aspx

https://custserv.tfl.gov.uk/icss_csip/SolutionDatabaseStart1.do?newTab=CON

As I dont drive, all I can advise you about car rental companies is to put CAR RENTAL COMPANIES LONDON in a search engine and do some reasearch

In the Uk, the fuel that cars use is either PETROL or DEISEL and it is sold by the LITRE, and the places where you fill up are either called PETROL STATIONS or GARAGES. Many supermarkets, such as Sainsburys, Asda etc have petrol stations on their premises and there are also many petrol stations owned by the oil companies, BP etc

I found this website http://www.petrolprices.com/
which gives you the latest price per litre and where you can also put in your location and it gives you the nearest petrol station.

Block A2 ROW h seems to me, by looking at the seating plan to be a very good seat, that means you are 8 rows from the front, well done

hey moonstreet :) thank you for opening this thread!

look, me and my friends booked room in the london home stay hostel in eltham (had to be cheap, lol, so there was no budget for anything else lol). im landing in luton and i am planning to take the easybus transfer to victoria station and from there to eltham. from eltham is a bus line directly to the o2 if my information and research is correct or.

i would like to know what type of travelcard (which zones) i need for my stay for going to central london and the o2 from eltham. are these travelcards valid for just tube or for everything (bus, railway, tram, tube). how much is a normal bus ticket?

and i was reading bout that oyster card but honestly i didnt understand it completely. can you explain a bit more about it and how it works?

thank you so much in advance already :)

Eltham, along with most other suburbs in south east London, is not served by the London Underground. Commuters rely on two rail lines to central London, and the road network. Trains through Eltham terminate at London Charing Cross, London Cannon Street or London VIctoria in a westerly direction, and Crayford, Dartford, Slade Green, Gravesend, Gillingham or Rochester in an easterly direction. Given the lack of Tube access, the two suburban rail lines work at, or above, their capacity during peak-hour commuting to central London. Fast trains take as little as 20 minutes to get to London Charing Cross.
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eltham

This means that you need to get a LONDON OVERGROUND TRAIN to and from Eltham.

This is a London transport map, showing both the tube lines and the London overground train lines

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/lon_con.pdf

This shows Eltham in ZONE 4, so you will need a travel card for zones 1 to 4, which will give you unlimited travel for the time specified. Travel cards are not valid on private coach transport such as easybus, only on THE TRANSPORT FOR LONDON network or buses, trains and tubes.

The OYSTER CARD is a plastic card, similar in size to a credit card. It is an electronic prepaid travel ticket, which you use to travel around London. You can top it up with money to use it as a pay as you go ticket or put a weekly/ monthly/ yearly unlimited travel ticket onto it. To use it, you swipe it at a card reader. Card readers are located at the front of buses as you board or in tube stations. At tube stations you must swipe your oyster card to gain acess to the platforms, and you must also swipe your card again to exit the tube stations. On buses you only need to swipe your card as you enter the bus. Travel cards are valid on all bus, tube and overground travel network.

thankyou moonstreet for your answers

Your welcome:D

This thread is excellent -thanks heaps

Question - how about after show transport???
shows would finish approx 11-12pm so will there be extra public transport services running or is there a taxi rank at o2? anyone knows anything about that?

thanks heaps

what about cellphone or prepaid phones. I doubt my usa cellphone will work in london. So where can I buy prepaid phones in london?

Eltham, along with most other suburbs in south east London, is not served by the London Underground. Commuters rely on two rail lines to central London, and the road network. Trains through Eltham terminate at London Charing Cross, London Cannon Street or London VIctoria in a westerly direction, and Crayford, Dartford, Slade Green, Gravesend, Gillingham or Rochester in an easterly direction. Given the lack of Tube access, the two suburban rail lines work at, or above, their capacity during peak-hour commuting to central London. Fast trains take as little as 20 minutes to get to London Charing Cross.
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eltham

This means that you need to get a LONDON OVERGROUND TRAIN to and from Eltham.

This is a London transport map, showing both the tube lines and the London overground train lines

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/lon_con.pdf

This shows Eltham in ZONE 4, so you will need a travel card for zones 1 to 4, which will give you unlimited travel for the time specified. Travel cards are not valid on private coach transport such as easybus, only on THE TRANSPORT FOR LONDON network or buses, trains and tubes.

The OYSTER CARD is a plastic card, similar in size to a credit card. It is an electronic prepaid travel ticket, which you use to travel around London. You can top it up with money to use it as a pay as you go ticket or put a weekly/ monthly/ yearly unlimited travel ticket onto it. To use it, you swipe it at a card reader. Card readers are located at the front of buses as you board or in tube stations. At tube stations you must swipe your oyster card to gain acess to the platforms, and you must also swipe your card again to exit the tube stations. On buses you only need to swipe your card as you enter the bus. Travel cards are valid on all bus, tube and overground travel network.

Your welcome:D

thank you for this information :) is the oyster card cheaper for me as the travel card? i will stay 4 days. how much is the highest amount they charge you in a day, i heard something like 5,50 pound? cuz this would be cheaper than travelcard zone 4? is it unlimited to all zones in london or how should i understand it?

Thank u so much, moonstreet, I saw on petrolprices that a litre of diesel or petrol is something aroun £1 right? Fair price.
Im looking for the rental companies, but maybe I'll ask my cousin who lives in London to check the cheapest one for me!

Thanks for the help! :flowers:

I want to do some sight seeing and tourist stuff that is not outrageously priced. Could you recommend anything? Also, I plan on taking that underwater thing to Paris to go to EuroDisney (well I plan on going to Disneyland there, doesn't have to be that underground thing.) Actually, what is the cheapest way to get to Paris? Is the underwater thing cool or not really?

What places and things to do would you recommend to someone traveling to UK for three weeks with older children? All the countries seem pretty close together over there, compared to Canada anyways.

Hi there.

I've never been to the 02 before and my question is, are we gonna need some sort of ID along with the tickets in order to get through?

(I heard that we are gonna have to from the official forum at michaeljackson.com)

hey everyone, I will be offline for the next 2 days and I wont get a chance to answer questions until Monday evening, GMT London time. As soon as I get back the above questions will be answered and any other ones that have been posted while I am offline

Hi Moonstreet, great thread! I have a question regarding Appartments. I'm aiming at Apartments Apart in Hoxton, Britport Place. Is the location any good (tube etc.). We also would like to see things and we're staying for 3 nights.

Last edited:
I want to do some sight seeing and tourist stuff that is not outrageously priced. Could you recommend anything? Also, I plan on taking that underwater thing to Paris to go to EuroDisney (well I plan on going to Disneyland there, doesn't have to be that underground thing.) Actually, what is the cheapest way to get to Paris? Is the underwater thing cool or not really?

What places and things to do would you recommend to someone traveling to UK for three weeks with older children? All the countries seem pretty close together over there, compared to Canada anyways.

I will start from Hyde Park (Londons major park).
Kensington Palace where Princess Diana used to live.
Kensington road you will see the Royal Albert Hall and Albert memorial (which was built during Queen Victorias reign in honour of her husband..it is very startling symbol of the British Empire (at the time)...
At Exhibition road you will approach many museums includig the 'science museum', 'natural history museum' and 'victoria & albert muesum'...all FREE entry!
'Harrods' (World famous department store) and Sloane street which is where all the 'Dolce & Gabbana' type shops are.
Buckingham Palace, where the Queen lives. Try and be there for 11 and you will see the changing of the guards...quite alot goes into it so its worth seeing.
Westminster Cathedral
Westminster abbey - first build in the 1000s (I believe)...holds tombs of many Kings & Queens of England including Queen Elisabeth the 1st.
Houses of Parliment and Big Ben.
Across the river is London Aquariam and the London Eye (but I imagine expensive).
Tate Modern (Modern Art muesum (although daft imo lol)
Shakespeares Globe (going along here there are alot of traditional english pubs too)
Tower Bridge
Back on the on the north side of the river and heading west is,
Tower of London
You start to enter the 'city of London', basically the 'old city', curently where all the greedy Bankers are lol.
You can see St Pauls Cathedral (Entry free)
Muesum of London
British Muesum (its got exhibits from all over the world...great musuem and FREE)

Im gonna stop now..lol, will update with more later...there is ALOT you can see in London
:-D

I assume but the Underwater thing you mean the channel tunnel?? lol (not being rude, im actually not sure haha)

You can get the 'Eurostar' to Paris from St Pancras International Train Station (which btw is an lovely station). It is very quick, so much so you could spend the day there and be back in London for bedtime lol.
But very expensive...defo over £100 return I imagine. Em, Im guessing the cheapest form of transport is flying, but maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:
Hi there.

I've never been to the 02 before and my question is, are we gonna need some sort of ID along with the tickets in order to get through?

(I heard that we are gonna have to from the official forum at michaeljackson.com)

i wudnt think so becuz what if a fan who bought the original ticket sold it 2 sum1 else lol

So can you tell me an area that is safe and fun, has stuff going on at night, but is within a reasonable distance to the O2. I don't mind traveling to the arena because that will only be one day of my trip, but I would like to stay somewhere that has a lot to do and see.

Thanks! I've been looking, but since I've never been there it's hard to know which location would be best.

This thread is excellent -thanks heaps

Question - how about after show transport???
shows would finish approx 11-12pm so will there be extra public transport services running or is there a taxi rank at o2? anyone knows anything about that?

thanks heaps

I have posted the last tube times earlier in this thread, in the case of a concert running late (this happened last year with Madonna) the public transport does not run later than its scheduled times. I remember hearing how the Madonna fans were not happy and many people ended up missing the last tube home cos they stayed till the end of the concert!! Other than the tube, there is a river taxi /ferry service from The O2 which runs later than the tube, called THE THAMES CLIPPER

http://www.thamesclippers.com/
Here is info about the first and last boats from The O2
http://www.thamesclippers.com/routes-times-prices-booking/travelling-information-for-qe2-pier.html

There is a taxi rank by the tube station but, as The O2 arena holds 20,000 people be prepared for a long wait.

what about cellphone or prepaid phones. I doubt my usa cellphone will work in london. So where can I buy prepaid phones in london?

First check with your network provider and see whether they have a roaming service. Then check whether your phone model / handset is compatible with services in The UK. For me to use my UK phone in New York for example, I had to make sure my phone was a triband phone and I had to make sure that my roaming service was set up. Roaming charges vary from network to network but be prepared for double rates per minute for both text and phone call charges.

You can buy prepaid phone cards from most newsagents and supermarkets. They usually have them advertised and have a number of options depending on the country you wish to call.

You can also use any of the public phones located around the city to call home. Most now have the option to pay by both cash and credit card, although it is an expensive way to call a different country.

Altenatively you can as buy a UK pay as you go sim card which you can put into your own phone model. To do this you need to make sure before you leave home that your handset is unlocked, and is compatible with UK networks.

I wouldnt advise calling a different country using the phone in your hotel room. This is the most expensive way of making a phone call but at least in an emergency you know you have the option.

quote=SpunkyFunky;1828919]thank you for this information :) is the oyster card cheaper for me as the travel card? i will stay 4 days. how much is the highest amount they charge you in a day, i heard something like 5,50 pound? cuz this would be cheaper than travelcard zone 4? is it unlimited to all zones in london or how should i understand it?[/quote]

whichever way you do you will still need an oyster card. For 4 days stay in London, yes you would be better using pay as you go. Yes thats correct, the maxinmum ammount taken out of your pay as you go oyster card, is around 5.50 per day. This means you can still travel as much as you want but no more money will be taken off your card.

A zone 1 to 4 travel card would give you unlimited travel from zones to 4 only. If you travelled to zone 5 you would have to pat extra.

im afraid of traveling underground let alone under a river lol

Its ok, thousand of people everyday, including me travel around London on the undergound system. If you are travelling to London, then you cant leave without at least having one journey on the tube. Although if you really are clastrophic and have a genuine phobia of being underground, then it is possible to travel around London using the bus network.

The main sight seeing destinations that are a must see for London are

Buckingham Palace and the changing of the Guard

Big Ben and The Houses of Parliment

Westminister Abbey

St Pauls Cathedral

The London Eye

a walk though a London park, eg Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens

The Tower of London (see the Crown Jewels)

All the London Museums are free of charge, which for familes on a budget are well worth a vist. The most interesting ones for children are The Natural History Museuem, The Science Museum, The British Museum, but there are many more, just google London museums.

London is a major tourist orintated city, have a look at the officail site for lots more info

http://www.visitlondon.com/

Travelling to France to EuroDisney for a family in theory is very easy but in practice can turn into an expensive excursion

have a look at http://eurostar.com

using London as your base to travel to other countries in Europe can be a good idea. http://easyjet.com and http://ryanair.com are very good budget airlines which between them cover nearly all european countries. Just be aware that june, July and August are peak times and prices can be very high

Hi there.

It depends on what you are doing. As far as I know, all you will need to get into the main arena is your concert ticket. As AEG have officially linked with VIAGOGO, a secondary ticket selling company, they cant then turn around and ask for ID to check whether you are the origional buyer of the ticket!! The afterparty is a club night being held after some shows in another part of The O2 complex called INDIGO. As this is a club night where alcohol will be sold, ID will be checked to prove people are over the legal age. In th UK the legal age is 18. Also, there are bars and restaurants in The O2 complex and in the UK they can be very strick about serving alcohol to young looking people. For this reason I automaticlly carry my passport whenever I go out, as even though I am over 30 I still look very young and often get asked for ID!!

Hi Moonstreet, great thread! I have a question regarding Appartments. I'm aiming at Apartments Apart in Hoxton, Britport Place. Is the location any good (tube etc.). We also would like to see things and we're staying for 3 nights.

Yes this is a good location, both the area and the transport linksare very good. The only thing that would concern me about what you are aiming for is the cost. If you are only in London for 3 days, it would be much less expensive to stay in a hotel

So can you tell me an area that is safe and fun, has stuff going on at night, but is within a reasonable distance to the O2. I don't mind traveling to the arena because that will only be one day of my trip, but I would like to stay somewhere that has a lot to do and see.

Thanks! I've been looking, but since I've never been there it's hard to know which location would be best.

The area you should definatly vist is called THE WEST END. This is the main, central part of London. The main part is Leiscester Square /Picadilly/ Covent Garden / Oxford Street. These are the main shopping, Theatre, night club and general tourist areas. They are wll serviced by both the bus and tube network.

Originally Posted by MJsJelly View Post

reply:
Yes this is a good location, both the area and the transport linksare very good. The only thing that would concern me about what you are aiming for is the cost. If you are only in London for 3 days, it would be much less expensive to stay in a hotel

Thank you so much Moonstreet, these are actually not very expensive 40,- p.p.p.n. We are with a group of 4 people. I looked at b&b but with 3 persons being extremely allergic to dust and all I think this is the best option so far.

I will start from Hyde Park (Londons major park).
Kensington Palace where Princess Diana used to live.
Kensington road you will see the Royal Albert Hall and Albert memorial (which was built during Queen Victorias reign in honour of her husband..it is very startling symbol of the British Empire (at the time)...
At Exhibition road you will approach many museums includig the 'science museum', 'natural history museum' and 'victoria & albert muesum'...all FREE entry!
'Harrods' (World famous department store) and Sloane street which is where all the 'Dolce & Gabbana' type shops are.
Buckingham Palace, where the Queen lives. Try and be there for 11 and you will see the changing of the guards...quite alot goes into it so its worth seeing.
Westminster Cathedral
Westminster abbey - first build in the 1000s (I believe)...holds tombs of many Kings & Queens of England including Queen Elisabeth the 1st.
Houses of Parliment and Big Ben.
Across the river is London Aquariam and the London Eye (but I imagine expensive).
Tate Modern (Modern Art muesum (although daft imo lol)
Shakespeares Globe (going along here there are alot of traditional english pubs too)
Tower Bridge
Back on the on the north side of the river and heading west is,
Tower of London
You start to enter the 'city of London', basically the 'old city', curently where all the greedy Bankers are lol.
You can see St Pauls Cathedral (Entry free)
Muesum of London
British Muesum (its got exhibits from all over the world...great musuem and FREE)

Im gonna stop now..lol, will update with more later...there is ALOT you can see in London
:-D

I assume but the Underwater thing you mean the channel tunnel?? lol (not being rude, im actually not sure haha)

You can get the 'Eurostar' to Paris from St Pancras International Train Station (which btw is an lovely station). It is very quick, so much so you could spend the day there and be back in London for bedtime lol.
But very expensive...defo over £100 return I imagine. Em, Im guessing the cheapest form of transport is flying, but maybe I am wrong.

Thank you so much for this information! No need to stop, you can keep going :) Wanna be my second tour guide? lol

My daughters will enjoy the Dolce & Gabbana store, though I probably won't as much if they ask me to buy them things..lol.

I don't know what I meant by the underwater thing. Does the channel tunnel go underwater? I thought it sounded cool and maybe fun. I wonder how long I should stay in London for. I booked a room from the 12th to the 16th but maybe I should extend it. I think I will have three weeks over in Europe before coming back home.

This gives me lots of ideas to do. I need a map!

The main sight seeing destinations that are a must see for London are

Buckingham Palace and the changing of the Guard

Big Ben and The Houses of Parliment

Westminister Abbey

St Pauls Cathedral

The London Eye

a walk though a London park, eg Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens

The Tower of London (see the Crown Jewels)

All the London Museums are free of charge, which for familes on a budget are well worth a vist. The most interesting ones for children are The Natural History Museuem, The Science Museum, The British Museum, but there are many more, just google London museums.

London is a major tourist orintated city, have a look at the officail site for lots more info

http://www.visitlondon.com/

Travelling to France to EuroDisney for a family in theory is very easy but in practice can turn into an expensive excursion

have a look at http://eurostar.com

using London as your base to travel to other countries in Europe can be a good idea. http://easyjet.com and http://ryanair.com are very good budget airlines which between them cover nearly all european countries. Just be aware that june, July and August are peak times and prices can be very high
Thank you as well for all this information as well! I am going to have to take it all down and write an itinerary or something I think. I don't want to miss anything (though I am bound to). I know this whole trip is going to be quite pricey. A Disneyland vacation for my family is one I have been wanting to do for a long time now. It's something that they will love. Though yes, I would prefer to do it as inexpensively as possible to stretch it out as long as I can too.

Someone asked about taxi prices....I took a cab to my hotel each night when I was in London for the press conference and I paid around 7-10 pounds each time for a maybe 5-10 minute ride (maybe about 2-4 miles). So it wasn't that bad. As opposed to when my hotel called a taxi for me....it wasn't one of the black cabs, and I paid over 16 pounds for the same distance. Oh and anyone considering a taxi from Heathrow to central London...don't. :lol: Unless you wanna pay a lot of money! I took one and paid 70 pounds!!!! :bugeyed :lol: :lol:

moonstreet, thank you very much! Very usefull info!

What is the cheapest place to eat? Is there someting like you pay let's say 7 pounds and eat all that you want?

moonstreet, thank you very much! Very usefull info!

What is the cheapest place to eat? Is there someting like you pay let's say 7 pounds and eat all that you want?

it depends on what type of food you want. London is an extemly cosmopolotin city and almost every type of food is available what ever your budget.

Of cource the cheapest are McDonalds, KFC and Burger King

Then there are sandwich shops Pret A Manger, Eat etc
Average price of a sandwich is approx £3

Also around Leiscester Square/ Picadilly/ Oxford Street area there are places like Wagamama, Pizza Hut and many simliar places and in China Town you can buy a chinese food very cheaply.
average price of a main course in Pizza Hut is approx £10, some Chinese places you can get a main course for approx £4

For traditional British food I suggest bar chain WEATHERSPOONS or just wander into any bar /pub, most offer traditional british bar food

Supermarkets are fairly cheap, most stock a range of sandwiches etc, as do chemist chain BOOTS

Moving up the scale, there are also a number of American Tex Mex type restaurants, Hard Rock Cafe, TFI Fridays, Angus Steakhouse etc.

I found this website it might be of use

http://www.londononline.co.uk/Restaurants/cuisine/

and this one

http://www.visitbritain.com/en/thin...budget-travellers/food-and-drink-on-a-budget/

A good tip is to look for early bird or pretheatre deals especilly in the West End / theatre district

Another tip, try to avoid eating at o2 on concert night. Not only are the queues horrendous, the restaurants put all the prices up and limit their menu.

Once inside the actual o2 arena, they do a mean hotdog which is reasonably priced for about £3-4.

Back