NEW VIDEO - They Don't Care About Us (2020) by Spike Lee

White privilege is real (I am white by the way). Probably the best comparison is able bodied privilege compared to the everyday life of someone with a disability. One isn’t better
than the other. Life’s just easier for one compared to the other because of how society is geared and it’s good to recognise it and try to make things fairer. I believe that Michael would support BLM.

Jackson Rules;4303125 said:
Privilege or not, being collaborative with a cop when you're asked is the best thing to do. Not running or walking away.

There’s no excuse for shooting someone in the back seven times, no matter how much everyone wants to blame the victim.

Some of you ain't seeing the big picture. It's funny cuz some of you are trying to act real smart.

All I'm gonna say is that the only thing this "gift" has done is to divide us. Now ask yourself, would Michael have supported BLM this way?

There you go. Think about it.

Some of you ain't seeing the big picture. It's funny cuz some of you are trying to act real smart.

All I'm gonna say is that the only thing this "gift" has done is to divide us. Now ask yourself, would Michael have supported BLM this way?

Perhaps, but I don't think that was the original purpose of the song, assuming that is the subject here. Michael had a rebellious yet uplifting aim with this piece, to "make that change", however it does seem to have gone a route, a route of division, he may not be 100% proud about.

Hulkamaniac;4303133 said:

No, the “gift” didn’t divide us. The division just wasn’t visible before. There are those who recognize their privilege and those who don’t.

What do you guys even think the original TDCAU films were about? I don’t see MJ hugging armed police forces and wrapping them in cotton candy.

Jackson Rules;4303125 said:
Privilege or not, being collaborative with a cop when you're asked is the best thing to do. Not running or walking away.
<samp class="EmbedCode-container"><code class="EmbedCode-code"> <script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> </code></samp><iframe scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.3c5aa8e2a38bbbee4b6d88e6846fc657.html?origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mjjcommunity.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><samp class="EmbedCode-container"><code class="EmbedCode-code"><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I thought all you had to do was comply and you wouldn’t be shot or brutalized by police. &#129300;&#129300; <a href="https://t.co/b1lVsuRx5i">pic.twitter.com/b1lVsuRx5i</a></p>&mdash; shannon sharpe (@ShannonSharpe) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShannonSharpe/status/1299427348211625984?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
</code></samp>

EgxsO3cUYAALet1.png

The short film just cracked the 1st million views. And every 10th view generated a &#8220;like&#8221;. Which is pretty impressive considering you can only &#8220;like&#8221; a video once, no matter how often you watch. :)

ScreenOrigami;4303135 said:
No, the &#8220;gift&#8221; didn&#8217;t divide us.

Gonna make it simpler to you. Would MJ have wanted to remake a video and monetize it using such delicate topic? This is not about justice. It's about money.

Hulkamaniac;4303144 said:
Gonna make it simpler to you. Would MJ have wanted to remake a video and monetize it using such delicate topic? This is not about justice. It's about money.

You make it sound like Spike made the film a whole new thing. He literally just updated the news footage from the Rodney King era to the George Floyd era of police brutality and included a couple of shots from the non-violent protests. What do you think MJ meant with &#8220;If Martin Luther was living he wouldn&#8217;t let this be&#8221;? Civil rights movement and non-violent protests.

SmoothGangsta;4303147 said:
Yes, because a cop is justified in shooting you because you walk away from them. Give me a break.

And he wouldn&#8217;t have been shot if he wasn&#8217;t Black.

ScreenOrigami;4303146 said:
You make it sound like Spike made the film a whole new thing. He literally just updated the news footage from the Rodney King era to the George Floyd era of police brutality and included a couple of shots from the non-violent protests. What do you think MJ meant with &#8220;If Martin Luther was living he wouldn&#8217;t let this be&#8221;? Civil rights movement and non-violent protests.

No, this was just a quick edit to make quick cash for the Estate. There was literally no effort involved, and they used a very delicate topic. That is not right in my honest opinion.

Stop acting as if you were MJ himself, that's cringey.

Hulkamaniac;4303150 said:
No, this was just a quick edit to make quick cash for the Estate, there was literally no effort involved, and they used a very delicate topic. That is not right in my honest opinion.

Stop acting as if you were MJ himself, that's cringey.

Just keep attacking me. I don&#8217;t mind. :)

Fact is, Spike did nothing to the material that isn&#8217;t in the spirit of the song and the original films. And out of all the people here in this thread, Spike is the only person who actually knew Mike. So I&#8217;m sure he did the right thing.

True, just like the overwhelming majority of the cops are good cops, and the overwhelming majority of Americans are not racist. So what's the problem?

We all agree that black lives matter just as all lives matter, and we all want justice not only for George Floyd but for all who don't deserve to die. I'm sure the bad cops will get what they deserve even without all the protests.

To heal the race relations in the U.S., we really need more understanding and common ground, and not simply condemning the police or the white men.

The last thing we need in this time 2020, is a message of anger and hate, and I don't like seeing my favorite singer's song turning into a message of hate right now.

Well said. I know people who are cops and they are good people who do their job honestly and try their best to serve their community, yet they are getting so much abuse and hate due to recent events. Not every cop is a racist.

Also, we can stand up for racism without putting people like George Floyd on a pedestal. I am sick of seeing people treating George Floyd as a hero when he was the complete opposite. Yes, the guy shouldn't have been killed and I am glad that the cop who killed him got arrested, but George Floyd was no hero. He was a criminal.

ScreenOrigami;4303148 said:
And he wouldn&#8217;t have been shot if he wasn&#8217;t Black.

Yes, because white people don't get shot by the police.

ScreenOrigami;4303148 said:
And he wouldn’t have been shot if he wasn’t Black.

Yep, this is the thing that I think a lot of people are uncomfortable in admitting.

This.

I watched the video and Jacob Blake was walking away from the police and then he proceeded to open his car door and grab something. In a country where a lot of people carry guns, if you feel that someone is going to pull out a weapon on you, your automatic reaction would be to draw & fire your gun and that is exactly what that cop did. Should the cop have fired seven rounds into his lower back? No, he should have handled it a lot differently.

But I hate how the left wing media has turned this into another 'racist' incident.

Last edited:
SmoothGangsta;4303157 said:
Yep, this is the thing that I think a lot of people are uncomfortable in admitting.

Exactly. This whole thread just shows how important the Black Lives Matter movement really is. And I applaud Spike Lee and MJ&#8217;s Estate for doing the right thing.

Even Michael collaborated when he had to deal with them. Did they cross the line with him asking for taking certain photographs of him as he told on the 1993 Neverland Statement? Probably yes.
But he also said that if you feel innocent and you don't have anything to hide, you don't have to worry or run away.

Black people and other POC groups are disproportionately killed by police in comparison to white people in the US. And 99% of police killings result in no charges being brought against the officers involved. Yes, that is the actual figure&#8212;99%.
And it's not just black adults getting gunned down, it's happening to innocent black children too. Children. You want more info on some of these cases check out the BLM thread.

I am kinda surprised to see it happening on an MJ board, though. I also find it somewhat disrespectful towards the many Black forum members.

Yeah, agreed. I guess I'm just not surprised to see people possessing these views anymore.

Even Michael collaborated when he had to deal with them. Did they cross the line with him asking for taking certain photographs of him as he told on the 1993 Neverland Statement? Probably yes.
But he also said that if you feel innocent and you don't have anything to hide, you don't have to worry or run away.

There are countless videos and incidents where a black person cooperated or wasn't even moving at the time and still got attacked or killed. George Floyd was literally pinned to the ground and he got killed. In America a white person can walk towards a police officer in a threatening manner with an item in their hand that could be used as a weapon without so much as even getting tased. Meanwhile a black person just standing in their own doorway holding a wallet gets shot by police 41 times.

SmoothGangsta;4303168 said:
Yeah, agreed. I guess I'm just not surprised to see people possessing these views anymore.

Some things in life they just don&#8217;t wanna see &#8230;

And they don&#8217;t even realize they&#8217;re on the wrong side of TDCAU.

Anyone has the right to not like the video edit but it does sent out a good message for it's time right now. Michael would be in the BLM movement but he wouldn't he out there burning building though.

I am kinda surprised to see it happening on an MJ board, though. I also find it somewhat disrespectful towards the many Black forum members.

The denial of white privilege is strong in this thread.

It's everywhere. even in the MJ fandom which is crazy because michael never stood for it and he was a black man. that's crazy to be a fan to someone who is black but you're still racist. michael only had a disease. he was always a black man.

Back