NEW VIDEO - They Don't Care About Us (2020) by Spike Lee

Mikky Dee;4303346 said:
How is this video about money? How is it a quick edit to make cash? How?? Please don't call another member cringey. WHAT on Earth do you think TDCAU was actually about?? It was about a "delicate topic". It was made in response to the brutal treatment of Rodney King at the hands of police and the race riots that followed, in L.A. It expressed Michael's frustration at the treatment of HIS people in the USA, but also, all over the world - issues such as high crime rates and incarceration, ghettos, poverty, poor access to education, depressed neighbourhoods, violence, racism, prejudice, hate groups....the list goes on.

All of this. And on top of it, we should also consider that MJ was acting within the media framework that was available to him at the time. I would really like to know what some of his films would have looked like if he hadn’t to think about whether or not they would get airplay on MTV. The TDACU prison version and the Panther Dance were already taking it too far for US American tastes.

ScreenOrigami;4303351 said:
I wasn’t going to comment on this, but now that I see it again, I just have to say that’s the funniest shit I have read in a while. I mean, WTF? :D

I know. Lol. No one is acting like MJ, just because they understand the messages he put into his music. He certainly was NEVER afraid to deal with "delicate" topics.

ScreenOrigami;4303352 said:
All of this. And on top of it, we should also consider that MJ was acting within the media framework that was available to him at the time. I would really like to know what some of his films would have looked like if he hadn’t to think about whether or not they would get airplay on MTV. The TDACU prison version and the Panther Dance were already taking it too far for US American tastes.

That's right! I actually did not know that a prison version existed, until after Michael passed away, when I bought my own computer and started hanging out on MJ forums. :D The only one that was released in my country.....the only one I ever saw was the Brazil version. I did not see the prison version until some time in 2010.

This I knew already, which is why I said it.......but thank you for confirming it. Thank you!

There's nothing wrong with the editing. Everyone thinks they're an expert on editing and "quality".

They forget these two TDCAU videos, which have been blended together, are already 25 years old.

It's less to do with the quality and more to do with the fact that editing makes it look fan made and not like an official product.

Mikky Dee;4303354 said:
That's right! I actually did not know that a prison version existed, until after Michael passed away, when I bought my own computer and started hanging out on MJ forums. :D The only one that was released in my country.....the only one I ever saw was the Brazil version. I did not see the prison version until some time in 2010.

We did have the prison version on German TV. I didn’t watch a lot of TV during much of the 90’s, so I’m not sure about then, but I remember they aired it in 2005, after Michael was acquitted. :)

The Panther Dance, though, was completely new to me when I discovered it last year. But I’m not sure if it was actually “censored” in Germany, or if they just preferred to show the short version because the Panther Dance didn’t have music. If anyone here knows, I’d actually be interested to hear the story.

Last edited:
SmoothGangsta;4303355 said:
It's less to do with the quality and more to do with the fact that editing makes it look fan made and not like an official product.

What’s wrong with the editing? Care to elaborate? Spike Lee put his name on it, so it certainly adheres to his own quality standards.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/72bUheqRE5o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go and say something positive about the police, especially to all these people who are protesting in the middle of a pandemic and you will get called a racist.

If you walked into a protest against police brutality and started talking about how great the police are of course you're going to get called racist. You're basically saying, "Don't focus on all the black people being killed by police, just focus on how nice the police are." You are devaluating the lives of those killed, which is the purpose of the protests. When a house is burning down you don't walk in front of the firemen and say, "Stop trying to put out this fire! The fire in my fireplace is really nice, it never hurt anyone." The priority is the house on fire, just like the priority is all the black people being killed by police.

I really wish the Olodum version was available on CD or vinyl. Release an EP with the regular album version, the uncensored version, the Olodum version, and the extended Olodum edit. Maybe add a bonus track with some spoken words by Spike Lee. And a nice photo booklet. I&#8217;d buy it.

It's not crap, it's excellent and it's CURRENT. It was created by the producer of the first TDCAU videos, Spike Lee, who was commissioned by Michael himself. The video has been very well-received and watched by millions already. Personally, I am so very tired of seeing people moan constantly about quality - what does it matter, when most people are watching via YouTube, on their phone? It's more about the social MESSAGE and how relevant Michael's music still is, today, 25 years later.

I like the video but I think it would get even more attention if they had used HD footage.

Galactus123;4303365 said:
I like the video but I think it would get even more attention if they had used HD footage.

While I would also have preferred if they had scanned the original films, I don&#8217;t believe not having done that cost the video many potential viewers. Just look at how people are treating photos and videos these days. The digital natives have figured out the most inventive ways to degrade the quality of a photo or video within hours after release, only to &#8220;improve&#8221; it again with some AI editing tools on their smartphones. It&#8217;s messy out there. :D

Pretty much exactly what I'd expect from a Spike Lee collaboration: great idea, half-assed execution.

Hey, at least it gives an additional opportunity for people to discover this incredible song.

If you walked into a protest against police brutality and started talking about how great the police are of course you're going to get called racist. You're basically saying, "Don't focus on all the black people being killed by police, just focus on how nice the police are." You are devaluating the lives of those killed, which is the purpose of the protests. When a house is burning down you don't walk in front of the firemen and say, "Stop trying to put out this fire! The fire in my fireplace is really nice, it never hurt anyone." The priority is the house on fire, just like the priority is all the black people being killed by police.

You'd be extremely lucky if you were only called a racist and not beaten to a bloody pulp on the street.

Skylover;4303381 said:
The new TDCAU2020 video was mentioned on French tv @ 6:49.
https://youtu.be/VPYP5toujiY?t=409

And the music guest Innoss'B seems to be an MJ fan.

Hey, that sounded nice. I&#8217;m not fluent in French, but from what I gather it was positive, right? :)

Glad to see Michael making the news with his message for once. :)

So, what did Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. actually say about riots? Let&#8217;s see:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&#8220;In the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear?&#8221; <a href="https://t.co/Als3jhxaGH">pic.twitter.com/Als3jhxaGH</a></p>&mdash; The Martin Luther King, Jr. Center (@TheKingCenter) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheKingCenter/status/1266008254984982529?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New <a href="https://twitter.com/ACLEDINFO?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ACLEDINFO</a> data show that while more than 90% of demonstrations since <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GeorgeFloyd?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GeorgeFloyd</a>&#39;s killing are peaceful, they&#39;re increasingly met with violence by government forces, non-state groups, and counter-demonstrators across the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/US?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#US</a>.<br><br>Key findings &#9654;&#65039; <a href="https://t.co/Hrv4zYUgjt">https://t.co/Hrv4zYUgjt</a> <a href="https://t.co/W8jfOXzyIa">pic.twitter.com/W8jfOXzyIa</a></p>&mdash; Armed Conflict Location &amp; Event Data Project (@ACLEDINFO) <a href="https://twitter.com/ACLEDINFO/status/1301897036799901696?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 4, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's not crap, it's excellent and it's CURRENT. It was created by the producer of the first TDCAU videos, Spike Lee, who was commissioned by Michael himself. The video has been very well-received and watched by millions already. Personally, I am so very tired of seeing people moan constantly about quality - what does it matter, when most people are watching via YouTube, on their phone? It's more about the social MESSAGE and how relevant Michael's music still is, today, 25 years later.

I don't think so. Video is in not in HD, interpolated with images zooming in. We all can do the same with iMovie or any video editing programme.
If Spike Lee had truly worked on it, he would have used original film (as he did for Bad25 doc, for example), maybe using unseen cuts from 1995.
Maybe he just supervised a very quick work, done by others.

As many have said: this is another, cheap, attempt by the Estate to seize the moment.

I'm very worried about this trend: if they continue to keep project's quality lower and lower, MJ's name would be associated more and more to cheap products.
And we all know here how Michael cared about quality and perfection in all his works.

I'm not so surprised about the video quality. I pointed out the same thing in Heal The World 2020 thread. Just another proof that they don't care about video quality. Anything officially released would be easy to trend, even if it's just a cheap edit, since they usually don't release anything.

There's also a Earth Song 2020, released by Michael Jackson Russia on the same date, which has pro-like video edit, and the video quality is much better, since they used my remastered source, but it didn't trend, since it's not officially released.

Absolutely 100 % off-topic...

But the twitt above?? - "met with violence by ... and counter-demonstrators"

Why on earth would anyone be against the idea that Black Lives Matter...?? That must only be KKK, but (and sory my ignorance, I'm not from the US) do KKK still exists really??

Why on earth would anyone be against the idea that Black Lives Matter...?? That must only be KKK, but (and sory my ignorance, I'm not from the US) do KKK still exists really??

dear racism exist. it isn't just the US but everywhere. yes the KKK still exist. you would except they wouldn't but they do. white privilege exist and always existed. i'm from america. not all white people are privilege or racist but it seem there more out there who are.

it's really sad.

Sadly there are a significant amount of racists in the general population. It's usually on a more subtle level than the KKK, but they'll make themselves known when it comes to things like BLM or when they feel aggravated or insecure. There are countless videos of racist incidents on YouTube.

It's a sad world...

And unbelievable to think it is not a lot better now than it was when MJ wrote TDCAU...

I must say - I do know there are idiots everywhere - I don't see/hear about many racists in Denmark, but then again... I'm white, so maybe I just don't see it becuase I do not experince it myself... - But I have many friends that are not white and when we are together, I never experince racism.

I wrote a very wise "poem" the other day and it is sooo true. - which I am an example of...

Heterosexuals say Hate crimes don't happen
Whites say there is no racism

And then it continued with more examples I don't remember, but it's true. It's soo easy to say it's not there if you are not experince it on your own body...

It's a sad world...

And unbelievable to think it is not a lot better now than it was when MJ wrote TDCAU...

I must say - I do know there are idiots everywhere - I don't see/hear about many racists in Denmark, but then again... I'm white, so maybe I just don't see it becuase I do not experince it myself... - But I have many friends that are not white and when we are together, I never experince racism.

I wrote a very wise "poem" the other day and it is sooo true. - which I am an example of...

Heterosexuals say Hate crimes don't happen
Whites say there is no racism

And then it continued with more examples I don't remember, but it's true. It's soo easy to say it's not there if you are not experince it on your own body...

keep in mind this isn't everyone it's just the world we live in.

On a more positive note: the short film now has over 2,000,000 views, 154,000 likes, and almost 15,000 comments. Not bad for a 25 year old song. :)

Sadly there are a significant amount of racists in the general population. It's usually on a more subtle level than the KKK, but they'll make themselves known when it comes to things like BLM or when they feel aggravated or insecure. There are countless videos of racist incidents on YouTube.

Yep, it only takes black people trying to have a voice for people who are against it to raise their heads. Hidden behind some other reason, because they won't outright say it, of course.

Back