NEW VIDEO - They Don't Care About Us (2020) by Spike Lee

Majority of the protests are in fact peacful. MLK said "riots are the language of the unheard". The riots dont even represent what the BLM movement is all about. Its about getting justice fro George Floyd, Breanna Taylor, Ahmaud arbery, Jacob Blake etc and changing this corrupt racist system. This is exactly what MJ was fighting.
Not really interested in debating BLM but felt that needed to be said.

Great edit Spike. This will look good for MJ no doubt although HD footage would be better (probably couldnt get access because the estate havent even touched the masters lol)

Yep, the Black Lives Matter movement is getting the same treatment as the civil rights movement and Martin Luther King back in the day. History repeats itself.

Bernice King twittered this 1960’s cartoon today:

Egs5aUlXkAUYpsl

It’s the same thing all over again. Portray the protesters as the bad guys.

Every movement has its extremists and people who will do things to make the whole thing look bad. BLM is no different. You can support its basic message without supporting the acts of those that try to spoil it for everyone.

I enjoyed the new video but like others have said it's disappointing they didn't try to upscale the original videos. Is the Estate that lazy or do they not have the masters? If they don't have the masters that's... really, really concerning.

Every movement has its extremists and people who will do things to make the whole thing look bad. BLM is no different. You can support its basic message without supporting the acts of those that try to spoil it for everyone.

I enjoyed the new video but like others have said it's disappointing they didn't try to upscale the original videos. Is the Estate that lazy or do they not have the masters? If they don't have the masters that's... really, really concerning.

They've said they don't have the masters for all of the videos. Tbh it wouldn't surprise me if they haven't looked that hard for them.

They've said they don't have the masters for all of the videos. Tbh it wouldn't surprise me if they haven't looked that hard for them.

That's... very unfortunate. Best case they're just lazy and haven't looked that hard and/or they're being kept safe elsewhere but no one knows where. Worst case they're lost or destroyed, which would be very sad for an artist as big as Michael.

What baffles me is that Spike Lee himself directed the original short films and shot them on 35mm film. Another lazy attempt from the estate. Yes, the message it brings is good and all, but it blows my mind that a 480p video was released combined with 1080p footage. Looks like a fan made video to be honest.

Majority of the protests are in fact peacful.
True, just like the overwhelming majority of the cops are good cops, and the overwhelming majority of Americans are not racist. So what's the problem?

We all agree that black lives matter just as all lives matter, and we all want justice not only for George Floyd but for all who don't deserve to die. I'm sure the bad cops will get what they deserve even without all the protests.

To heal the race relations in the U.S., we really need more understanding and common ground, and not simply condemning the police or the white men.

The last thing we need in this time 2020, is a message of anger and hate, and I don't like seeing my favorite singer's song turning into a message of hate right now.

HappyLeeHL;4303059 said:
True, just like the overwhelming majority of the cops are good cops, and the overwhelming majority of Americans are not racist. So what's the problem?

We all agree that black lives matter just as all lives matter, and we all want justice not only for George Floyd but for all who don't deserve to die. I'm sure the bad cops will get what they deserve even without all the protests.

To heal the race relations in the U.S., we really need more understanding and common ground, and not simply condemning the police or the white men.

The last thing we need in this time 2020, is a message of anger and hate, and I don't like seeing my favorite singer's song turning into a message of hate right now.

The cops who killed George Floyd wouldn’t even have been arrested without the protests. Breonna Taylor’s murderers still haven’t been arrested. Just last week, another man was shot 7 times in the back for doing nothing. There is no justice. As long as there is no justice, there can’t be peace.

Talking about understanding and common ground obviously doesn’t stop these atrocious things from happening.

Spike’s new edit is anything but a message of hate. I really don’t know what you’re reading into this. And I can’t believe we’re even having this discussion.

ScreenOrigami;4303065 said:
The cops who killed George Floyd wouldn’t even have been arrested without the protests. Breonna Taylor’s murderers still haven’t been arrested. Just last week, another man was shot 7 times in the back for doing nothing. There is no justice. As long as there is no justice, there can’t be peace.

Talking about understanding and common ground obviously doesn’t stop these atrocious things from happening.

Spike’s new edit is anything but a message of hate. I really don’t know what you’re reading into this. And I can’t believe we’re even having this discussion.

I'm honestly really tired of reading all Lives Matter lol. Nobody has said they don't. There is a massive problem in the police force, I have seen enough footage of police smashing people's heads in during these protest for absolutely nothing to know. Then you have white supremacists spitting and throwing stuff at police and nothing happening to them. I agree that the only reason anyone has been arrested is because of these protests. Nothing would have happened otherwise. It's basically "I don't like seeing this so it should go away" attitude and it's puzzling.

It's not just a few bad cops or a few incidents. This is happening regularly and it's been happening for far too long. It's deeply rooted systemic racism that not only pervades the entire justice system and a significant portion of the general population to varying degrees, it's also embedded in society as a whole in more insidious ways. There are resources in the Black Lives Matter thread you really should look at. Start with the documentary '13th'. It's on Netflix.

Not everyone does agree. That's the problem. That's why groups like the KKK still exist, fascist politics and hate crimes are still rampant across the world, POC continue to be suppressed, oppressed, and mistreated in countless ways. For all lives to matter, black lives have to matter. These bad cops are only now starting to get what they deserve because of this revolution that's happening. Police have been brutalising and killing innocent black people and not being punished for it for a long time. Black people have had enough of being ignored and killed by the people who are supposed to protect them. George Floyd's killers would have got away with his murder had there not been people there filming it and society had got outraged. Breonna Taylor's killers have still not been charged. There are countless other cases out there of these kinds of crimes against black people and the cops or people involved weren't charged or punished. These protests are the reason change is finally starting to happen. But senseless murders of POC at the hands of police brazenly continue. People have had enough.

Police brutality against black people is a major, long-standing problem which needs immediate attention. It needs to be condemned. And it's not about condemning white people, but white people, whether consciously or unconsciously, have been perpetuating the societal structures which allow and encourage racism. Only white people can fix this by changing individual behaviour and attitudes, by demanding systemic change and refusing to continue to fuel the machine.

The message is equality. Anger is just the natural result of black voices being ignored for generations and innocent people being killed all the time with no consequences. And hate for a system that allows it is justified.

We should also not forget that Michael’s prison version short film was just as current and relevant when it came out as Spike’s new version is now. There’s a reason that the prison version was hardly ever shown on MTV and I’m sure they wouldn’t show Spike’s new edit either. Fortunately we have YouTube today.

The message is equality. Anger is just the natural result of black voices being ignored for generations and innocent people being killed all the time with no consequences. And hate for a system that allows it is justified.

Thank you for your reply. Whether "systemic racism" exists is debatable. I believe the rule of law, and we can't find a single law that gives white people more benefits than the black people. There's not a single human right that white people have and black people haven't. When it comes to equality, I believe more in equal opportunity than equal outcome.

I think police brutality and hate crimes against black do happen sometimes, but they are exaggerated by the mainstream media. We only see parts of the story that we believe. For example, in 2020, how much proportion of the people would like to hear from the police's side of story? There has been number of cops killed and more injured during the recent protests, who really cares about them?

As to the title of the song, They Don't Care About Us: most people do care about racial equality, including the politicians and law enforcement. The real danger is creating the hate and serious misunderstandings between "them" and "us".

HappyLeeHL;4303071 said:
Whether "systemic racism" exists is debatable.

It’s not. It’s a fact. I assume you’re not a Black US citizen?

I found it odd how a white kid with an assault rifle shoots two ppl then walks towards the police while the police are been told what he has done and they just drive past him. Wonder what would have happened if he were black. That clip of film really tells you all you need to know. Systemic ingrained stereotyping. american police seemingly been the worst trained in the world!? Maybe they should de arm them, it might make them think abit more. The problem is not only the bad cops but the good ones who turn a blind eye and don't speak out and the ones who do end up getting fired and losing pensions cause they did the right thing.

"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything" malcom x.

ScreenOrigami;4303072 said:
It’s not. It’s a fact. I assume you’re not a Black US citizen?

So my skin color would automatically make me a racist because there's believed to be a "system" out there? Because I can honestly say that I've never had a racist bone in my body my entire life.

MusicMan26;4303084 said:
So my skin color would automatically make me a racist because there's believed to be a "system" out there? Because I can honestly say that I've never had a racist bone in my body my entire life.

I think you’re misinterpreting what systemic racism means. Why don’t you head over to the Black Lives Matter thread? There’s a lot of information. :)

HappyLeeHL;4302866 said:
I don't know if officially connecting Michael Jackson's short films to the BLM movement is a good idea. This is getting too political. To be honest, I don't know if Michael would even support the BLM movement if he were still alive.

I think Michael would support BLM, but I agree he might not have connected his songs or short films to a specific movement. Michael always kept an helicopter view over issues; keeping his art timeless. I think that's why They Don't Care About Us is such a great protest song: today it fits BLM, in ten years it might fit another movement, and in twenty years yet another.

I have no problem with this new rendition of the video though – it's accurately called the 2020 version. We still have Michael's originals, right.

ScreenOrigami;4303085 said:
I think you’re misinterpreting what systemic racism means. Why don’t you head over to the Black Lives Matter thread? There’s a lot of information. :)

My comment has more to do with the narrative that these "protestors" associate with systemic racism, not with a literal definition.

MusicMan26;4303096 said:
My comment has more to do with the narrative that these "protestors" associate with systemic racism, not with a literal definition.

OK, then I’m not sure I’m getting your point. Millions are protesting non-violently all around the globe for the basic human rights of Black people, including first and foremost the right to live. I don’t see why anyone would not support this cause.

Spike’s 2020 edit is a special edition in support of this global human rights movement. The other versions of TDCAU aren’t going anywhere, and will remain relevant. Watch those if you like them better.

ScreenOrigami;4303108 said:
OK, then I’m not sure I’m getting your point. Millions are protesting non-violently all around the globe for the basic human rights of Black people, including first and foremost the right to live. I don’t see why anyone would not support this cause.

Spike’s 2020 edit is a special edition in support of this global human rights movement. The other versions of TDCAU aren’t going anywhere, and will remain relevant. Watch those if you like them better.

My point is that I totally agree with non-violent protests (I feel that it is nice to have your voice heard). I support that. However, there is a lot of violence out there right now, which BLM supports (my sources being Twitter posts and videos of BLM members making comments about it). The constant burning of buildings, looting, and sometimes loss of life (which many have been yelling is in retaliation for George Floyd). This I do not support.

I also do not support the constant criticism that whites have been getting for the past 3 months.

It would be great if all people could judge others on a individual basis, not race. I feel that the U.S. has made a lot of progress with that over the years. Things currently aren't the way they were in the 60's and it's a better world for that.

MusicMan26;4303119 said:
My point is that I totally agree with non-violent protests (I feel that it is nice to have your voice heard). I support that. However, there is a lot of violence out there right now, which BLM supports (my sources being Twitter posts and videos of BLM members making comments about it). The constant burning of buildings, looting, and sometimes loss of life (which many have been yelling is in retaliation for George Floyd). This I do not support.

I also do not support the constant criticism that whites have been getting for the past 3 months.

It would be great if all people could judge others on a individual basis, not race. I feel that the U.S. has made a lot of progress with that over the years. Things currently aren't the way they were in the 60's and it's a better world for that.

I’m sure you’d sing a different tune if you were paralyzed for life because you were shot in the back 7 times in front of your kids. Check your privilege. That’s all I have to say. I really don’t feel like getting upset right now.

ScreenOrigami;4303120 said:
I’m sure you’d sing a different tune if you were paralyzed for life because you were shot in the back 7 times in front of your kids. Check your privilege. That’s all I have to say. I really don’t feel like getting upset right now.

Privilege or not, being collaborative with a cop when you're asked is the best thing to do. Not running or walking away.

Back