Neyo calls music 'shallow', says Michael wanted music to be 'magical'

xo_lola_xo

Proud Member
http://www.musicrooms.net/urban/16924-ne-yo-music-industry-has-become-shallow.html

Ne-Yo says music today is “shallow, hollow and thin”.
The R&B musician is one of America’s most talented stars, having stormed the international charts with his own records as well as those he wrote for singers such as Rihanna.

Ne-Yo says he isn’t impressed with the majority of music people make nowadays, because he feels stars are more concerned with making music than creating an original sound.

"People's reasons for making music have changed. I remember a time when people made music for the sheer joy of it. Nowadays people are just trying to make money and you can hear it. Everything sounds the same: it's shallow, hollow and thin,” he told British newspaper The Independent.
Ne-Yo was quick to point out that he isn’t that kind of musician, adding, “I take the time... "

Just last year the talented singer/songwriter had been hired by the now-deceased pop superstar Michael Jackson to work on his new album. Apparently Michael wanted the hits to have a supernatural quality.
"Michael told me the songs had to be magical. 'Magical' was a word that kept coming up,” explained Ne-Yo.

The 30-year-old star was honoured to receive recognition from the pop icon, who was one of his ultimate idols - although he says he’s now at a loss about what to do with the songs he wrote. Ne-Yo fears that if he releases them as a tribute, people may accuse him of profiting from Michael’s untimely death.

“He chose about ten of my songs for his new album. But I don't know what to do with them now. I'm afraid that if I make a tribute record people will think I'm cashing in on my idol," he lamented.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

God bless...

Re: Music has become shallow.

Hmmmmm, I feel exactly the same way as Ne-Yo, but the funny thing is I'd actually put him pretty much in the same pot as all the other pop starletts... At least he writes his own music though, that's a lot more than most of them do :/

Today's music is shallow. I agree with Ne-Yo

Now a days people don't want to be artists anymore, they just want to be celebrities

(and yes i am aware that there is good music out there if i look so don't bother pointing that out)

He would've profited from them anyway, but I definitely see his point. Just donate a portion of the proceeds to charity and don't make a whole bunch of hoopla about it. Just quietly drop a tribute album for people to enjoy... and get the Estates permission to use Mike's name or likeness. McClain and Branca and them don't go for that unauthorized usage shit. lol

You know what....I'm gonna go out on a limb here on this one. And luckily we haven't gotten there in this thread yet! Me likey already!!!

How do I put this?

The fact that Ne-Yo expressed his guilt over thinking about finishing the songs MJ chose for his album automatically makes me want to hear them. Regardless though, if he said that or not, I'd still like to hear them! And I wouldn't give a damn if he was trying to "cash in" or not. And since he's a songwriter by nature, I wouldn't think he would be trying to do that.

But this brings me to another topic. I'm tired of fans telling me that an artist is "cashing in" on MJ's name by releasing a song he chose, or saying some words on him, or wearing some of his fashion influences. It sours what could be a nice little nod to MJ's style, a kind word about the man, or a spark of an idea he may have had for a new song.

I think we as fans are kiiiinda being too harsh and/or quick to judge other artists about this issue. We should be focusing more of our attention on people like Diane Dimond or anyone else who is REALLY out to use his name and slaughter it like a pig. Let Ne-Yo make his tribute album if he gets that far with it. It wouldn't be a commercial success, I think, but that wouldn't be the point. Even if he kept the profits, I still wouldn't care! It's called his J.O.B! Even musical sensations are in debt. Half the shit they get is for free anyway...

So that's my little 2 cents I guess, :lol:

Ne Yo is right about today's music. It's not exciting, it's not moving, it's just blah. People don't put their soul into it anymore. Sadly.

As for him releasing music he was working on with Michael... Personally I would love to listen to those songs and I would buy that CD and wouldn't call it "cashing in". To me, "cashing in" is, for instance, Jermaine singing Michael's solo songs in concert and trying to attract ticket buyers by advertising this and promising the sound that will be the same as the original. But if Michael worked with an artist on some music and they planned to release it together, why not do it if the music is good?

And if Ne Yo himself says he doesn't want to cash in, he should release the songs through some charity...

I was thinking about this to myself the other day, after listening to tons of J5 stuff, and then switching to something more modern. Thinking to myself, "wow, this stuff sucks compared the older stuff". Half of the hits today wouldn't even be taken out of the vaults if this was the 60's-70's, now with Michael gone, the void that he left is just that much more noticeable nowadays. :(

Did anybody else feel like they were just punched in the heart when they read "now-deceased"..Damn. I guess I'll never get used to it. Anyway, I love ne-yo but I thought his new album fell right into the same sounding crap thats been out for years now. I really hope the people working on this new Michael album like, Teddy Riley, aren't getting stuck in the "new age" digital sound with Michael's music. I often think artists get so wrapped up in themselves and the music they are making, that they trick themselves into thinking their music is the next best thing. They never get a chance to really step back and actually listen to it. I hope the new music coming out will be magical like Michael intended.

You know what....I'm gonna go out on a limb here on this one. And luckily we haven't gotten there in this thread yet! Me likey already!!!

How do I put this?

The fact that Ne-Yo expressed his guilt over thinking about finishing the songs MJ chose for his album automatically makes me want to hear them. Regardless though, if he said that or not, I'd still like to hear them! And I wouldn't give a damn if he was trying to "cash in" or not. And since he's a songwriter by nature, I wouldn't think he would be trying to do that.

But this brings me to another topic. I'm tired of fans telling me that an artist is "cashing in" on MJ's name by releasing a song he chose, or saying some words on him, or wearing some of his fashion influences. It sours what could be a nice little nod to MJ's style, a kind word about the man, or a spark of an idea he may have had for a new song.

I think we as fans are kiiiinda being too harsh and/or quick to judge other artists about this issue. We should be focusing more of our attention on people like Diane Dimond or anyone else who is REALLY out to use his name and slaughter it like a pig. Let Ne-Yo make his tribute album if he gets that far with it. It wouldn't be a commercial success, I think, but that wouldn't be the point. Even if he kept the profits, I still wouldn't care! It's called his J.O.B! Even musical sensations are in debt. Half the shit they get is for free anyway...

I agree.

How do I put this?

:agree:

Did anybody else feel like they were just punched in the heart when they read "now-deceased"..Damn. I guess I'll never get used to it. Anyway, I love ne-yo but I thought his new album fell right into the same sounding crap thats been out for years now. I really hope the people working on this new Michael album like, Teddy Riley, aren't getting stuck in the "new age" digital sound with Michael's music. I often think artists get so wrapped up in themselves and the music they are making, that they trick themselves into thinking their music is the next best thing. They never get a chance to really step back and actually listen to it. I hope the new music coming out will be magical like Michael intended.

YES! :cry: Shoot, I hate when they also say the late MJ too! So deceased :bugeyed ain't no better!:cry::no:

About Neyo...

Well I agree about the Shallow part! But I would add some of his own songs too...sorry Neyo! :D You ain't that good...to me! But, I dig some of ya songs!:)

Also, I think if he don't say what songs were for MJ and released them as his own the public wouldn't know! lol Cause we never got to hear them in the first place anyway! I think he stressin to much about it!:doh:

But, I guess him knowing is what bothers him so I get it! But, now everyone knows about it cause he keep saying it! lol So now I be wondering....is that what he want?:scratch:lol

Re: Music has become shallow.

Hmmmmm, I feel exactly the same way as Ne-Yo, but the funny thing is I'd actually put him pretty much in the same pot as all the other pop starletts... At least he writes his own music though, that's a lot more than most of them do :/
Agreed but He's young and talented so he'll get better. Very popular with the young crowd.

No, I will never get over losing him either. Never. Neyo should let the world hear them. He should also as suggested give the money to a MJ charity.

I agree with what you are saying about being wrapped up in themselves that they have the "new sound" it actually sounds a bit arrogant. I loved hearing how MJ talked about his creative process. My understanding was that his music always come through him, not from him.

Never in a million years will I ever get used to seeing that term used in relation to Michael:no:

Ne-yo has a very good point about today's music, its all about making money now.

I like Ne-Yo, and I'd like to hear the songs. I'm liking the release for charity idea too, one that Michael supported. Music these days does suck. It's really sad.:(

At least Michael was original.... have you seen Ne-Yo's new video?? I know he's trying to pay homage to Michael and everything, but there's a fine line between a tribute and an outright copy.

Michael's influences may have been obvious, but he didn't just draw on others, he created something original as well. Okay, he took some of James Browns moves and Diana Ross's vocal stylings, but he mixed it with his own unique vision. That's what made him so great and this is exactly what stars like Usher and Ne-Yo are lacking. Where's the originality??

I like Ne-Yo, and I'd like to hear the songs. I'm liking the release for charity idea too, one that Michael supported.

Seconding this.

I feel for him about the whole 'what to do with the songs written for Michael' thing. I can imagine how that feels, to get so close to having your idol record the songs you wrote for him, and then one of the worst things imaginable happens. I'm glad he's concerned about what to do with them. To me that speaks volumes about his heart being in the right place.

Musically speaking, Ne-Yo's alright in my book. I liked Year of the Gentleman, but I am interested in hearing an evolution from him into deeper subject matters, and developing a unique style all his own.

I'd love for Ne-Yo to step back and take a different approach. I feel he is one of the few new artists out there that have something interesting to offer. He's got a great sense of melody. I wish he'd develope the production side of his music (just use a different drumkit for a starter?) and write less simplistic songs.

Neyo is right. There's no "magic" or true artistry in music anymore. Anybody can make an album these days. They don't even have to know how to sing. They just get handed a song, sing it, run their vocals through auto tune, and BAM. They're a star.

"Michael told me the songs had to be magical. 'Magical' was a word that kept coming up,” explained Ne-Yo.

Of course. I get a sense of that "magic" Michael speaks of every time I listen to his music. :)

The 30-year-old star

Neyo is 30? :blink:

I'm afraid that if I make a tribute record people will think I'm cashing in on my idol," he lamented.

Honestly, I feel like that would be a great idea but I can understand why he feels this way. But if he is worried about cahsing in on him, he can give the profits to the charities Michael supported or give some to the estate maybe? There are many options...
Knowing he feels that way, I wouldn't think he's trying to profit off of Michael. He seems like a true, genuine fan who wants to honor his idol. Nothing wrong with that.

How do I put this?

AMEN to last two paragraphs!

I think it would be a good idea to use that music as a dedication album... not Ne-yo singing every track but he can basically produce the songs with multiple artist that best suite the sound of a track or a portion of the track.. simular to what they did before for a few other artists that have past away

Just release it, Ne-Yo. You can't please everyone. Even the haters will buy it. It's Michael Jackson after all ;)

I think it would be a good idea to use that music as a dedication album... not Ne-yo singing every track but he can basically produce the songs with multiple artist that best suite the sound of a track or a portion of the track.. simular to what they did before for a few other artists that have past away

Sounds like a plan! When that Sly Stone tribute album "Different Strokes by Different Folks" came out, I kinda fell in love with many of the tracks. It also introduced me properly to Sly's music, and made me want to delve further into it.

ne yo is so nice and i think michael wouldnt mind if he realese those songs.

I think Ne Yo should just release the tracks and ignore the haters. they will always be there trying to ruin a good thing.

The album could be marketed in such a way that everybody knows these songs were intended for Michael Jackson and perhaps some of the artists who were inspired by MJ (such as Ne Yo, Chris Brown, Akon, Usher, JT, Ciara, Beyonce etc) could record the songs.

They could also agree to donate their share of the proceeds (or atleast a significant proportion of their share) to one of MJ's charities.

I don't think anybody could accuse NeYo or anybody else of cashing in on MJ's death then.

Back