Official MJJC Support Thread - Japanese Tsunami

You do realize that the earth has done this since the beginning of it all. And it, in fact, does this to let us all know the earth is very alive and well. I don't think humans can really have too much of an effect to whether an earthquake will come or not. Yes, this is still a tragedy, but lets not get carried away here and think the apocalypse is gonna happen in a few days.

I haven't even said or suggested that... ): I said that the scenes are apocalyptic as far as Japan is concerned, and they are. Got carried away? Nature is rebelling, it has always done that. But the world is on an increasingly downward spiral and it's plain to see, I'm not getting carried away at all... This is upsetting as it is and tragic, sad that precious time needs to be wasted on petty things like explaining what you meant, when in fact was quite clear. ... In times like these, looking up to God is the best thing one could do.

More prayers out to those devastated people and children there and for the rest of the world..

Last edited:
My prayers are with Japan. I was watching footage of the tsunami last night and it was really jaw dropping. My prayers go out to their families, friends, anyone who is affected and hope they fully recover from this disaster. :angel:

My prayers are with japan and all the countries affected by this

I pray for the Healing of the people of Japan and everyone else affected by this devastating Earthquake and Tsunami. :angel:
AE3385C4A41C48ECA41FCFA4357A477D.ashx

My people in Chile are waiting for the wave to arrive. Chile is basically a looong coast, so this will hit basically the whole country, but so far, no problems. The wave should have hit Easter Island 15 minutes ago and so far, nothing. I hope this will end soon.

Oh God... :(

Prayers also for Chile. :angel: :pray:

This is really worrying, I wish MJ was around to try and help, he wouldn't just sit and watch people lose their lives.
I wish at a time like this they would release 'What More Can I Give' or 'We've Had Enough' and give the proceeds to charity, it could really make a change.

GREAT idea.but dnt know if the estates willing to do this. or is it up to sony too. if we ask em maybe theyll release it for charity???

Yes, great idea. Is there already a thread about it? How about a petition?

And ... we have to get rid of nuclear power plants. Worldwide. They are dangerous. They kill.

P.S. Just saw the latest news - radiation leak in nuclear power plant Fukushima I.

Last edited:
Yes, great idea. Is there already a thread about it? How about a petition?

And ... we have to get rid of nuclear power plants. Worldwide. They are dangerous. They kill.

As of right now, this moment, at least, the coverage of the nuclear accidents (apparently ongoing) has nearly vanished from U.S. tv. Gee, guess they don't want us to worry? (the reason we didn't develop solar energy was WHAT?) Go to Reuters or BBC for coverage, if you can't find current U.S. coverage).

(see my post above for list of charities to support. I think the Japanese need help SOON, right?)

My Japanese friend is still MIA (not an internet friend, but someone I know, in person.) Communications are still sketchy. I'm still hoping she will contact us. . . .

Last news I saw, there were eleven nuclear power plants "offline." Five are critical. .. . i.e. coolant not working and they are still "hot." Problem is, the cooling systems need electricity to function. Power has been knocked out. Some are operating on generators, others on batteries, and there aren't enough batteries for all the plants. The Fukushima Daichi plant had a back-up generator, but then the tsunami swamped it. Not a good situation. . . . .

Autumn II;3290373 said:
As of right now, this moment, at least, the coverage of the nuclear accidents (apparently ongoing) has nearly vanished from U.S. tv. Gee, guess they don't want us to worry? (the reason we didn't develop solar energy was WHAT?) Go to Reuters or BBC for coverage, if you can't find current U.S. coverage).

It's pretty big news over here. I'm watching yesterday's evening and late night news streams, they talk about it a lot. And the radiation leak is sort of breaking news right now - see here - for those who speak German:

http://orf.at/

"Letzte Meldung
Japan-Beben: Radioaktivität aus AKW ausgetreten"

It says it's just a small leak - let's hope that's it and not just the beginning ...

Autumn II;3290373 said:
My Japanese friend is still MIA (not an internet friend, but someone I know, in person.) Communications are still sketchy. I'm still hoping she will contact us. . . .

I hope you'll hear from her soon.

There are/were Tsunami warnings in 50 countries. Half the world.

The leak is just a footnote on CNN:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/11/japan.nuclear/index.html?hpt=T2

"Reactors at two Japanese power plants can no longer cool radioactive substances, a government official said Saturday, adding that a small leak had been detected at one of the facilities."

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/121...er-fukushima-nuclear-reactor-atomic-power.htm

"The Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) has confirmed that there has been a release of a small amount of radioactive material at one of its two Fukushima-based nuclear plants where the cooling mechanism had failed after Friday's devastating earthquake. However, authorities have assured that this is not likely to have any major adverse impact immediately on health of nearby residents."

Last edited:
I watched this unfold early this morning around 3 AM my time and still tuning in on CNN and other news channels.

My sincere Blessing,Love & Prayers go out to all countries /human - living things effected by the earthquakes & tsunami.

:angel:

People trying to find and contact friends ... try Skype, in case you haven't yet, that's what they do and did yesterday on the radio and TV news, seems to be the only way for them to contact their correspondents.

OMG...there was an explosion in Fukushima. The roof and the outside walls have been damaged. white one smoke climbed up...Lord have mercy!

I was just about to post a link:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/12/3162450.htm?section=world

"According to public broadcaster NHK, the plant's exterior walls are gone and only the skeleton structure remains.

The broadcaster says several workers were injured in the blast."

They have been downplaying this since yesterday, in my opinion. We don't need nuclear power plants, do we really have to learn the hard way? I'm not religious, but I'm still saying ... God help us all.

:no: More prayers go out to all of the affected people :no:

And this is exactly why I'm against nuclear power.. :( Keeping my thoughts with everyone affected.

Sending my prayers out to all those affected by this disaster. It's so shocking to watch the footage. I hope we can all help even if it's just a small donation.

Last edited:
Scary times. Very worried about the problems a nuclear leak could cause.

Here (France), they have been talking about possible problems in 2 nuclear power plants, there was an explosion in one of them.

They have been saying for quite sometime that people had been evacuated from around one of these nuclear power plant, possibly both plants, it's not clear.
They are saying now that they are evacuating a larger area aroud the Fukushima plant.

Now they say that NHK (japanese TV) is asking people in the powerplant (s ?) area to stay indoors, block their windows and doors (to prevent outside air from coming in), cover themselves from head to toe (the skin should not be in direct contact with air), and breathe through a wet towel.

French experts on TV say they don't know what's going on, they don't have enough info, but it doesn't look good at all. The evacuation was a probably a preventive measure, and the self protection measures could be preventive as well, they don't know.

About the death toll, they say they found another 300 to 400 bodies in the north, people who died in the tsunami, in a port.
The tsunami seems to have been more devastating than the earthquake itself, people didn't have time to leave the area.

Autumn I hope you hear from your friend soon, please let us know when you reach her.

I went through the same situation 10 years ago, after the AZF explosion in Toulouse , France. I was desperately trying to reach a family member there (he was Ok, thank god). It took me hours just to get through, it turned out that the all communications from and to Toulouse had been voluntarily limited. They wanted to avoid the communications to become saturated, and make sure that the people within the impacted area could call for help.

Really,I don't know why we would build nuclear power plants in such areas...

I hope the nuclear incident turns out to be just a scare, and nothing too serious.... they are now saying that the nuclear reactor itself was probably not damaged.

To all the people in the affected areas, please let us know if there is anything we can do for you from here to help you go through this.

Really,I don't know why we would build nuclear power plants in such areas...

I hope it turns out to be just a scare, and nothing serious.... they are now saying that the nuclear reactor itself was probably not damaged.

To all the people in the affected areas, please let us know if there is anything we can do for you from here to help you go through this.

I agree with all the above points!

About the death toll, they say they found another 300 to 400 bodies in the north, people who died in the tsunami, in a port.
The tsunami seems to have been more devastating than the earthquake itself, people didn't have time to leave the area.

I heard the exact same news 5 min ago...

According to the TV station NHK, the army has found another 400 bodies in Rikuzentakata, making a total of 3000 dead people so far :no:

I went through the same situation 10 years ago, after the AZF explosion in Toulouse , France. I was desperately trying to reach a family member there (he was Ok, thank god). It took me hours just to get through, it turned out that the all communications from and to Toulouse had been voluntarily limited. They wanted to avoid the communications to become saturated, and make sure that the people within the impacted area could call for help.

I remember that... 30 people died back then, thousands were seriously injured and many, many families lost their homes if I remember it well? It was a horrible day for France. That must have been so terrible and scary for you. I'm glad your family member was ok.

Last edited:
:no: More prayers go out to all of the affected people :no:

Oh no, not that as well!
God bless Japan and all the people living there...

This is so horrible. Last year there was a big earthquake in Haiti, this year there's one in Japan....I don't want to think about what will happen next year.

I remember that... 30 people died back then, thousands were seriously injured and many, many families lost their homes if I remember it well? It was a horrible day for France. That must have been so terrible and scary for you. I'm glad your family member was ok.

Thank you, yes that's happened. It was very scary. And one of the thing that was scary was the confusion, contradictory information, not knowing what was going on....

In Toulouse during one or two hours the media reported several simultanous explosions throughout the city. It looked like a terrorist attack. They reported that because the blast was so strong, that everybody in toulouse said "it happened very close to where I was".

Then there was this big orange cloud and funny smell all over the city, that during several hours was not explained, but they did ask the people to stay indoors, block they doors and windows (if they had any left), cover their faces to not breathe the air directly... because they were not sure what it was.

I remember when I finally reached him, 3 or 4 hours after the explosion I was in Paris and he was in Toulouse, and I was the one who explained to him what was going on. He had just come home from his work, and didn't have the chance to watch TV, and didn't have a clue about what was going on. All he knew is thart there had been a huge explosion close to where he was working, his work place had been damaged so they evacuated the building and went home, and on his way home he saw damage all over the city, people panicking (even driving on sidewalks), a big orange cloud and a funny smell. He was trying to drive home among all this, while covering his face, and it took him all this time just to get home.

And what happened in Toulouse was nowhere near what is going on in Japan now. It was one city, and one explosion.
So I would assume there is still a lot of confusion in Japan now, because the priority is to deal with the situation and take all the possible precautions.

An expert on the news over here said that things might not be as severe as they looked. He wasn't sure though, since there is not a lot of new information. I also didn't get all the details, I think he said (probably according to some new information?) that the protective shell might not be damaged after all, and if that's true that they can still try to cool the core, which might take days. So maybe they can avoid a huge distaster, let's hope this is true.

But then there is also this:

http://www.jpost.com/International/Article.aspx?id=50001

"Japan's largest utility operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co., has admitted that it falsified data at its nuclear power plants for three decades in an attempt to easily pass compulsory government inspections."

So I'm not really sure if I trust them and the new information.

And there are 10,000 people missing in the port town Minamisanriku. The population is 17,000, so more than half of the people from that town are missing.

Official press release by TEPCO:

clear.gif
Press Release (Mar 12,2011)
White smoke around the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit 1
dot_w720.gif

On March 11, 2011, turbines and reactors of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear
Power Station Unit 1(Boiling Water Reactor, Rated Output 460 MW) and
Unit 2 and 3 (Boiling Water Reactor, Rated Output 784 MW) that had been
operating at rated power automatically shutdown due to the
Tohoku-Chihou-Taiheiyou-Oki Earthquake.(already announced)

Today at approximately 3:36PM, a big quake occurred and there was a big
sound around the Unit 1 and white smoke.
Our two employees and two subcontract workers working for the safety of
the plant were injured and transported to the hospital.

We are presently checking on the site situation of each plant and effect
of discharged radioactive materials.

We will endeavor to restore the units and continue monitoring the
environment of the site periphery.
clear.gif
clear.gif
Press Release number 2:

Below is major impact to TEPCO's facilities due to the Miyagiken-Oki
Earthquake that occurred yesterday at 2:46PM.
*new items are underlined

[Nuclear Power Station]
Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station:
Units 1 to 3: shutdown due to earthquake
Units 4 to 6: outage due to regular inspection
* The national government has instructed evacuation for those local
residents within 10km radius of the periphery.
* The value of radioactive material (iodine, etc) is increasing according
to the monitoring car at the site (outside of the site). One of the
monitoring posts is also indicating higher than normal level.

* Since the amount of radiation at the boundary of the site exceeds the
limits, we decide at 4:17PM and we have reported and/or noticed the
government agencies concerned to apply the clause 1 of the Article 15 of
the Radiation Disaster Measure at 5PM.
* In addition, a vertical earthquake hit the site and big explosion has
happened near the Unit 1 and smoke breaks out around 3:36PM.
Our two employees and two cooperation workers who had been working for
the foundation of safety are suffered and they are all sent to the
hospital.
* We continue endeavoring to secure the safety that all we can do and
monitoring the periphery.

Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station:
Units 1 to 4: shutdown due to earthquake
* The national government has instructed evacuation for those local
residents within 3km radius of the periphery and indoor standby for
those local residents between 3km and 10km radius of the periphery.
* At present, we have decided to prepare implementing measures to reduce
the pressure of the reactor containment vessel (partial discharge of air
containing radioactive materials) in order to fully secure safety.
These measures are considered to be implemented in Units 1, 2 and 3 and
accordingly, we have reported and/or noticed the government agencies
concerned.
* Unit 3 has been stopped and being "nuclear reactor cooling hot stop"
at 12:15PM.

Kashiwazaki Kariwa Nuclear Power Station:
Units 1, 5, 6, 7: normal operation
Units 2 to 4: outage due to regular inspection

[Thermal Power Station]
Hirono Thermal Power Station Units 2 and 4: shutdown due to earthquake
Hitachinaka Thermal Power Station Unit 1: shutdown due to earthquake
Kashima Thermal Power Station Units 2, 3, 5, 6: shutdown due to earthquake
Ohi Thermal Power Station Units 2, 3: shutdown due to earthquake
Higashi-Ohgishima Thermal Power Station Unit 1: shutdown due to earthquake

[Hydro Power Station]
5 stations in Fukushima Prefecture were shutdown due to earthquake.
Power stations in Yamanashi Prefecture have been restored.

[Transmission System, etc.]
5 substations shown below have been shutdown:
- Naka Substation
- Shin Motegi Substation
- Joban Substation
- Ibaraki Substation
- Nishi Mito Substation

[Blackout in TEPCO's Service Area]
Total of about 0.54 million households are out of power.
Tokyo: 0
Kanagawa Pref.: 0
Tochigi Pref.: 12,204
Chiba Pref.: 18,080
Saitama Pref: 534
Gunma Pref.: 0
Ibaraki Pref: 505,072
Yamanashi Pref: 0
Shizuoka Pref: 0 (east of Fuji River)

[Supply and Demand Status within TEPCO's Service Area to Secure Stable
Power Supply]
Backup supply from Shinshinano Conversion Station: 600MW
Backup supply from Sakuma Conversion Station: 300MW
Backup supply from Higashi Shimizu Conversion Station: 100MW

Because TEPCO's facilities have been seriously damaged, power shortage
may occur. TEPCO appreciates customers' cooperation in reducing
electricity usage by avoiding using unnecessary lighting and electrical
equipment.

We are taking all measures to restore power, however, we expect extremely
difficult situation in power supply for tomorrow as well.
We kindly ask our customers to cooperate with us in reducing usage of
power.

Please do NOT touch cut-off electric wires.

New press release UPDATE:

Furthermore, today at 3:29PM, radiation dose measured at site boundary has

exceeded the limiting value. Therefore, at 4:17PM, it was determined that
a specific incident stipulated in article 15, clause 1 has occurred.

We will endeavor to secure the safety and alongside, continue monitoring

the environment of the site periphery.

So I'm not really sure if I trust them and the new information.

yes, I think we'll have to wait and see. If there is a serious nuclear incident, it will not affect only Japan, we will have more info from different sources.
Now their priority is to deal with it, and take precautions.

And there are 10,000 people missing in the port town Minamisanriku. The population is 17,000, so more than half of the people from that town are missing.

I heard that too, it's absolutely horrible.

Another update which has been released by Tepco (not regarding the radioactive material, but...):

A seriously injured worker is still trapped in the crane operating console
of the exhaust stack and his breathing and pulse cannot be confirmed.
Currently, the rescue efforts are under way.
Another worker was lightly injured spraining his left ankle and cutting both
knees when he fell while walking at the site. After medical treatment
and subsequent rest, the worker has got back his workplace.

Back