Paul McCartney!!!

I think Paul McCartney is an amazing songwriter, and excellent singer. I don't rate him as a performer though. He's made song great solo songs that are pure genius, with my favorites being Live And Let Die, Jet, Band On The Run, Silly Love Songs, Baby I'm Amazed, Listen To What The Man Said and Coming Up. I think he's been too complacent during his solo career, and though he's commercially a huge selling sand very successful solo artist

Musically I don't think Paul McCartney had a great a music career as he should have done, but then again none of the ex Beatles including John Lennon had great careers even though McCartney, Lennon and George Harrison record a lot of great solo songs and all have one classic album each. Because of this I don't think he gets as much credit for The Beatles songs he wrote, like She's A Woman,Paperback Writer, Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour and Helter Skelter etc. He's just written off as a the ballard songwriter of The Beatles, but thoughs ballards are amazing, and he wrote just as many uptemo rocking songs. The recent album Paul McCartney has done as The Fireman, is him challenging himself, which he should have done a lot more in the past.

I have a lot of respect for Paul McCartney, the man is a genius and one of the all time greats. And I quite like him as a person even though him and Michael haven't for years.

Paul McCartney suffers from the "Prince" syndrome. Exceptionally talented songwriter and musician who releases a bunch of filler along with the great tracks. His music is hit or miss, but when he hits he hits very well.

Paul McCartney suffers from the "Prince" syndrome. Exceptionally talented songwriter and musician who releases a bunch of filler along with the great tracks. His music is hit or miss, but when he hits he hits very well.

I disagree with your view of Prince, because all of his albums from 1980-87 were brilliant albums, with brilliant songs and no filler tracks. I guess what Prince and Paul McCartney do have in common, with that with them both being highly talented, well genius songwriter/musicans who can both play almost every instrument and be a one man studio band. Is that both of them can have been in their careers (Prince post Sign 'O' The Times) complacent and over indulgent and in their own way haven't looked to challenge themselves creatively and lost focus on what made them great in the first place. I think Prince has made some great songs in recent years, and Paul McCartney's made some good music recently with his last two album releases.

I disagree with your view of Prince, because all of his albums from 1980-87 were brilliant albums, with brilliant songs and no filler tracks. I guess what Prince and Paul McCartney do have in common, with that with them both being highly talented, well genius songwriter/musicans who can both play almost every instrument and be a one man studio band. Is that both of them can have been in their careers (Prince post Sign 'O' The Times) complacent and over indulgent and in their own way haven't looked to challenge themselves creatively and lost focus on what made them great in the first place. I think Prince has made some great songs in recent years, and Paul McCartney's made some good music recently with his last two album releases.
It's probably easier for a poorer person or new act to have focus and fire than a rich one. A rich & popular person can do whatever they want and not have to worry about being commercial & selling a lot of records as much.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bFYhJKQ6EuU&fmt=18=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bFYhJKQ6EuU&fmt=18=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

It's probably easier for a poorer person or new act to have focus and fire than a rich one. A rich & popular person can do whatever they want and not have to worry about being commercial & selling a lot of records as much.

That's very true, but that also can also an artist make music that's not as good as it should and could be.

That's very true, but that also can also an artist make music that's not as good as it should and could be.
Perhaps it is good to the artist, and that's why they put it out. Like Paul releasing "Mary Had A Little Lamb" as a single, lol. Or Prince putting out "The Rainbow Children" an album about the Jehovah's Witnesses. What is good or not is an opinion. The artist feels they can put out the music they really want to make. If The Beatles kept making the music the audience wanted, they would have kept putting out stuff like "She Loves You" and the fans would have eventually gotten bored and moved on. But because they were successful, they could experiment. If they hadn't become successful and rich later records like "Strawberry Fields" or "Within You, Without You" wouldn't have been made.

McCartney, Killers, Cure Anchor Coachella Lineup
January 30, 2009 07:17 AM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Billboard

54395-mccartney_paul_06l.gif

Paul McCartney, the Killers and the Cure lead the bill for the tenth Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival, to be held April 17-19 at Empire Polo Field in Indio, Calif. Also confirmed are My Bloody Valentine, Amy Winehouse, Morrissey, Leonard Cohen and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

McCartney will be making his maiden American festival appearance at the event. "I have heard that Coachella is one of the greatest festivals in the world," he said in a statement. "I'm really excited to get out there and rock!"

Coachella has been after My Bloody Valentine for years, and nearly had the band booked for its 2008 festival. But frontman Kevin Shields ultimately decided the freshly reunited MBV would not have been ready to perform by last year's show date and instead waited until the fall before playing North American shows.

As for Winehouse, this will be her first major American appearance since performing at the 2008 Grammy Awards. The U.K. artist's 2007 Coachella set came at a time when she was breaking through in the States with her single "Rehab" and album "Back to Black," but in the past 18 months she's been beset with drug problems and erratic behavior.

Meanwhile, Cohen's Coachella appearance will be part of his first North American tour in 15 years, which begins Feb. 19 in New York.

Other highlights of the festival lineup include Fleet Foxes, Conor Oberst, the Black Keys, the Hold Steady, Superchunk, Dr. Dog, TV On The Radio, Okkervil River and Band Of Horses from the world of indie rock; and MSTRKRFT, Girl Talk, Thievery Corporation, the Crystal Method, Throbbing Gristle, Groove Armada and Roni Size from the dance and electronic community.

The Drive-By Truckers will perform their own set on April 18 as well as back soul legend Booker T & the MGs, while rock veterans such as X, Paul Weller, Henry Rollins and Bob Mould add a dose of experience to the lineup.

Among the buzz bands and notable newcomers playing this year are White Lies, who currently have the No. 1 album in the United Kingdom, N.A.S.A., the Airborne Toxic Event, Cage the Elephant, Gang Gang Dance, Hercules and Love Affair, Vivian Girls, Lykke Li, Late Of The Pier, the Knux and the Gaslight Anthem.

Coachella tickets go on sale this morning via Ticketmaster. For the first time, festival promoter Goldenvoice is offering a layaway plan for three-day passes, which is available only online and through Feb. 28.

Here is the lineup for the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival:

FRIDAY APRIL 17:
Paul McCartney, Morrissey, Franz Ferdinand, Leonard Cohen, Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band, Beirut, The Black Keys, Girl Talk, Silversun Pickups, The Ting Tings, The Crystal Method, Ghostland Observatory, Crystal Castles, The Airborne Toxic Event, We Are Scientists, N.A.S.A., Patton & Rahzel, M. Ward, The Presets, The Hold Steady, A Place to Bury Strangers, Felix da Housecat, Buraka Som Sistema, Ryan Bingham, Bajofondo, Peanut Butter Wolf, Noah & the Whale, White Lies, The Bug, Alberta Cross, Los Campesinos!, Craze & Klever, Molotov, Switch, Gui Boratto, Steve Aoki, The Aggrolites, People Under the Stairs, The Courteeners, Cage the Elephant, Dear and the Headlights.

SATURDAY, APRIL 18: The Killers, Amy Winehouse, Thievery Corporation, TV on the Radio, Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes, MSTRKRFT, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Atmosphere, Mastodon, TRAV$DJ-AM, Henry Rollins, Crookers, Turbonegro, Hercules and Love Affair, Superchunk, Glasvegas, Dr. Dog, Drive-By Truckers, Booker T & the DBT's, Amanda Palmer, The Bloody Beetroots, Surkin, Para One (Live), Calexico, Liars, Bob Mould Band, Zane Lowe, Electric Touch, Blitzen Trapper, James Morrison, Drop the Lime, Glass Candy, Thenewno2, Gang Gang Dance, Billy Talent, Ida Maria, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Zizek, Cloud Cult, Tinariwen.

SUNDAY, APRIL 19: The Cure, My Bloody Valentine, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Throbbing Gristle, Lupe Fiasco, Paul Weller, Peter Bjorn and John, X, Antony & the Johnsons, Roni Size, Public Enemy, Jenny Lewis, Groove Armada, Paolo Nutini, Christopher Lawrence, Lykke Li, The Kills, Okkervil River, M.A.N.D.Y., Clipse, Sebastien Tellier, Fucked Up, Perry Farrell, The Horrors, Late of the Pier, K'naan, Junior Boys, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Supermayer, No Age, Vivian Girls, Shepard Fairey, Themselves, Gaslight Anthem, The Knux, Mexican Institute of Sound, The Night Marchers, Marshall Barnes.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/mccartney-killers-cure-anchor-coachella-1003936488.story

Macca vs. Colbert

.cc_box a:hover .cc_home{background:url('http://www.comedycentral.com/comedycentral/video/assets/syndicated-logo-over.png') !important;}.cc_links a{color:#b9b9b9;text-decoration:none;}.cc_show a{color:#707070;text-decoration:none;}.cc_title a{color:#868686;text-decoration:none;}.cc_links a:hover{color:#67bee2;text-decoration:underline;}http://www.comedycentral.com' t='_blankThe Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30cBetter Know a Beatle - Paul McCartneyColbert Report Full Episodes
Paul McCartney AppearanceFunny Political Videos
More Funny Videos

*sigh* I've been meaning to get into the Beatles/Paul. Funnily enough, I haven't really heard their music!!! And that's weird for me, cause I love 'classic' music! But I do like Paul and MJ's voices together! it's like magic! lol

*sigh* I've been meaning to get into the Beatles/Paul. Funnily enough, I haven't really heard their music!!! And that's weird for me, cause I love 'classic' music! But I do like Paul and MJ's voices together! it's like magic! lol
Well all of The Beatles albums are being remastered now, and are supposedly going to be released sometime this year. If it's like the Yellow Submarine songtrack from a few years ago, then the new versions will be a BIG improvement from the 1987 CD versions or even the original albums. They only had 4 track in the 1960s and a lot of The Beatles stuff had vocals on one speaker and the music on the other. The new version of "Yellow Submarine" has real stereo.

Paul McCartney / July 17, 2009 / Queens, NY
Robert Levine, N.Y.
July 21, 2009 3:45 EDT
100441-paul_mccartney_617_409.jpg

About two-thirds of the way through the first of Paul McCartney's three concerts at New York's Citi Field Stadium, fireworks erupted to punctuate "Live And Let Die." After McCartney sang the song's title phrase, the off-beat was punctuated with an eruption of color both on and above the stage: "To live and let die . . . BOOM!" But while the light show seemed to fit the James Bond theme, the set derived its real power from McCartney's mellow charisma and the joy he takes in revisiting his past without wallowing in nostalgia.

Unlike Mick Jagger, who races around stadium stages as if training for an athletic event, McCartney moved mainly to his piano and back. He nodded to the concert's obvious antecedent: The Beatles famously played Shea Stadium, the previous home of the Mets (although, as he pointed out, the performance was mostly drowned out by screaming girls). And he eulogized his former bandmates: John Lennon with "Here Today" and George Harrison by singing "Something" on a ukulele Harrison had given him. But McCartney mostly concentrated on the songs rather than the show.

And what songs. After "Live And Let Die," McCartney and his band closed the concert with a parade of Beatles favorites, including "Hey Jude," "Day Tripper," "Yesterday," "Get Back," and "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." He dipped into his history extensively throughout the show, opening with "Drive My Car," rocking through a furious version of "I'm Down" and segueing from "A Day In The Life" into Lennon's "Give Peace A Chance."

Although each of the Beatles has sometimes strained under the weight of the band's legacy, the smile on McCartney's face was obvious even without the giant monitors mounted on the sides of the stage. His crackerjack band tore through songs like "Back In The U.S.S.R." as though they had something to prove, but McCartney can take the adoration of his audience for granted.

Impressively, McCartney isn't content to limit himself to that. He sang the obvious Wings hits like "Jet" and "Band On The Run," but also performed recent solo material like "Flaming Pie" and "Only Mama Knows." He even performed "Sing the Changes" and "Highway," two songs from the 2008 album he released as The Fireman, which few in the audience would have heard. Because of McCartney's evident enthusiasm, or the fact that they were surrounded by Beatles hits, the new songs all drew impressive applause.

It's no secret that McCartney is interested in his legacy, as well as that of his band, so it's an interesting time for him to return with a short tour that started with a widely praised performance at the Coachella Valley Music And Arts Festival. September will bring the release of the Beatles "Rock Band" game, long-awaited reissues of the band's albums, and perhaps another wave of Beatlemania for both Boomers and the younger fans who continue to seek out the group's music. McCartney may have nodded to this by playing footage from the game during his set, which delighted the few viewers who knew what they were looking at. From another act, it might have seemed like a marketing ploy. From McCartney it seemed like a way to remind fans that the man who wrote many of those songs can still play them as well as he - or anyone - ever did.
http://www.billboard.com/#/news/paul-mccartney-july-17-2009-queens-ny-citi-1003995841.story

I like some of Paul's Solo stuff more than The Beatles, Mull of Kintyre is my fave Paul McCartney track

I wasnt to impressed with say say say or the girl is mine, he was good in the beatles.

At first when i heard the girl is mine, i thought michael was sayin pa, the girl is mine lol

I wasnt to impressed with say say say or the girl is mine, he was good in the beatles.
I like them both, but I think "The Man" is better than both of them. Say Say Say is a good dance track, and with dance songs the lyrics aren't really important.

Yeah because John and George cared about the world and making it a better place ^^^.
People considered George's solo music "too preachy". Top 40 tends to avoid religion as a topic. It's surprising that "My Sweet Lord" became a hit. Probably the reason is it came out right after the Beatles broke up. It's interesting that initially Mr. Conductor's (Ringo) songs were more popular on the charts than the ones by the other 3.

[youtube]_LHeEwiQJsY&fmt=18[/youtube]

Last edited:
Most of my favourite Beatle songs were Paul's ones :) Not so fussed about 90% of his solo stuff though

Back