Pet Peeves

i miss MJ, who was economic genius...selling low and buying high..or, at least buying and selling low.

While Michael Jackson made some smart investments in the area of royalties, after Paul McCartney tutored him on their value, to his own detriment as it would turn out, I would not exactly call Michael an "economic genius."

He got himself into extreme debt ($400 million) and appeared to have forgotten the value of a dollar which he shouldn't have given his impoverished upbringing.

Michael Jackson Died Deeply In Debt

Michael Jackson the singer was also Michael Jackson the billion-dollar business.

Yet after selling more than 61 million albums in the U.S. and having a decade-long attraction open at Disney theme parks, the "King of Pop" died Thursday at age 50 reportedly awash in about $400 million in debt, on the cusp of a final comeback after well over a decade of scandal.

The moonwalking pop star drove the growth of music videos, vaulting cable channel MTV into the popular mainstream after its launch in 1981. His 1982 hit "Thriller," still the second best-selling U.S. album of all time, spawned a John Landis-directed music video that MTV played every hour on the hour.

"The ratings were three or four times what they were normally every time the video came on," said Judy McGrath, the chairman and CEO of Viacom Inc.'s MTV Networks. "He was inextricably tied to the so-called MTV generation." Five years later, "Bad" sold 22 million copies. In 1991, he signed a $65 million recording deal with Sony.

Jackson was so popular that The Walt Disney Co. hitched its wagon to his star in 1986, opening a 3-D movie at its parks called "Captain EO," executive produced by George Lucas and directed by Francis Ford Coppola. The last attraction in Paris closed 12 years later.

One of Jackson's shrewdest deals at the height of his fame in 1985 was the $47.5 million acquisition of ATV Music, which owned the copyright to songs written by the Beatles' John Lennon and Paul McCartney. The catalog provided Jackson a steady stream of income and the ability to afford a lavish lifestyle.

He bought the sprawling Neverland ranch in 1988 for $14.6 million, a fantasy-like 2,500-acre property nestled in the hills of Santa Barbara County's wine country.

But the bombshell hit in 1993 when he was accused of molesting a 13-year-old boy.

"That kind of represents the beginning of the walk down a tragic path, financially, emotionally, spiritually, psychologically, legally," said Michael Levine, his publicist at the time.

He settled with the boy's family, but other accounts of his alleged pedophilia began to emerge.

When he ran into further financial problems, he agreed to a deal with Sony in 1995 to merge ATV with Sony's library of songs and sold Sony music publishing rights for $95 million. Then in 2001, he used his half of the ATV assets as collateral to secure $200 million in loans from Bank of America.

As his financial problems continued, Jackson began to borrow large sums of money, according to a 2002 lawsuit by Union Finance & Investment Corp. that sought $12 million in unpaid fees and expenses.

In 2003, Jackson was arrested on charges that he molested another 13-year-old boy. The 2005 trial, which ultimately ended in an acquittal, brought to light more details of Jackson's strained finances.

One forensic accountant testified that the singer had an "ongoing cash crisis" and was spending $20 million to $30 million more per year than he earned.

In March of last year, the singer faced foreclosure on Neverland. He also repeatedly failed to make mortgage payments on a house in Los Angeles that had been used for years by his family.

In addition, Jackson was forced to defend himself against a slew of lawsuits in recent years, including a $7 million claim from Sheik Abdulla bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the second son of the king of Bahrain.

Memorabilia auctions were frequently announced but became the subject of legal wrangling and were often canceled.

Time and again, however, Jackson found a way to wring cash out of high-value assets, borrowing tens of millions at a time or leaning on wealthy friends for advice, if not for money.

Al Khalifa, 33, took Jackson under his wing after his acquittal, moving him to the small Gulf estate and showering him with money.

In his lawsuit, Al Khalifa claimed he gave Jackson millions of dollars to help shore up his finances, cut an album, write an autobiography and subsidize his lifestyle — including more than $300,000 for a "motivational guru." The lawsuit was settled last year for an undisclosed amount. Neither the album nor book was ever produced.

Another wealthy benefactor came to Jackson's aid last year as he faced the prospect of losing Neverland in a public auction.

Billionaire Thomas Barrack, chairman and CEO of Los Angeles-based real estate investment firm Colony Capital LLC, agreed to bail out the singer and set up a joint venture with Jackson that took ownership of the vast estate.

Barrack was unavailable for comment Thursday, but referred to the singer in a statement as a "gentle, talented and compassionate man."

A final piece of the financial jigsaw puzzle fell into place in March, when billionaire Philip Anschutz' concert promotion company AEG Live announced it would promote 50 shows in London's O2 arena. Tickets sold out, and the first show of the "This is It" tour was set for July 8.

Jackson, who has won 13 Grammys, hadn't toured since 1997. His last studio album, "Invincible," was released in 2001.

But the opening date was later postponed to July 13 and some shows moved back to March 2010, fueling speculation that Jackson was suffering from health ailments that could curtail his comeback bid.

His death, caused by cardiac arrest according to his brother Jermaine, raised the question whether an insurer would refund money to ticketholders. AEG Live did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Jackson was practicing for the concert in Los Angeles at the Staples Center with Kenny Ortega, a choreographer and director of the "High School Musical" movies, who has worked on previous Jackson videos like "Dangerous" in 1993.

"We had a 25-year friendship. This is all too much to comprehend," Ortega said in a statement. "This was the world's greatest performer and the world will miss him."

http://www.billboard.com/news/micha...-jackson-died-deeply-in-debt-1003988280.story

While Michael Jackson made some smart investments in the area of royalties, after Paul McCartney tutored him on their value, to his own detriment as it would turn out, I would not exactly call Michael an "economic genius."

He got himself into extreme debt ($400 million) and appeared to have forgotten the value of a dollar which he shouldn't have given his impoverished upbringing.

Michael Jackson Died Deeply In Debt

Michael Jackson the singer was also Michael Jackson the billion-dollar business.

Yet after selling more than 61 million albums in the U.S. and having a decade-long attraction open at Disney theme parks, the "King of Pop" died Thursday at age 50 reportedly awash in about $400 million in debt, on the cusp of a final comeback after well over a decade of scandal.

The moonwalking pop star drove the growth of music videos, vaulting cable channel MTV into the popular mainstream after its launch in 1981. His 1982 hit "Thriller," still the second best-selling U.S. album of all time, spawned a John Landis-directed music video that MTV played every hour on the hour.

"The ratings were three or four times what they were normally every time the video came on," said Judy McGrath, the chairman and CEO of Viacom Inc.'s MTV Networks. "He was inextricably tied to the so-called MTV generation." Five years later, "Bad" sold 22 million copies. In 1991, he signed a $65 million recording deal with Sony.

Jackson was so popular that The Walt Disney Co. hitched its wagon to his star in 1986, opening a 3-D movie at its parks called "Captain EO," executive produced by George Lucas and directed by Francis Ford Coppola. The last attraction in Paris closed 12 years later.

One of Jackson's shrewdest deals at the height of his fame in 1985 was the $47.5 million acquisition of ATV Music, which owned the copyright to songs written by the Beatles' John Lennon and Paul McCartney. The catalog provided Jackson a steady stream of income and the ability to afford a lavish lifestyle.

He bought the sprawling Neverland ranch in 1988 for $14.6 million, a fantasy-like 2,500-acre property nestled in the hills of Santa Barbara County's wine country.

But the bombshell hit in 1993 when he was accused of molesting a 13-year-old boy.

"That kind of represents the beginning of the walk down a tragic path, financially, emotionally, spiritually, psychologically, legally," said Michael Levine, his publicist at the time.

He settled with the boy's family, but other accounts of his alleged pedophilia began to emerge.

When he ran into further financial problems, he agreed to a deal with Sony in 1995 to merge ATV with Sony's library of songs and sold Sony music publishing rights for $95 million. Then in 2001, he used his half of the ATV assets as collateral to secure $200 million in loans from Bank of America.

As his financial problems continued, Jackson began to borrow large sums of money, according to a 2002 lawsuit by Union Finance & Investment Corp. that sought $12 million in unpaid fees and expenses.

In 2003, Jackson was arrested on charges that he molested another 13-year-old boy. The 2005 trial, which ultimately ended in an acquittal, brought to light more details of Jackson's strained finances.

One forensic accountant testified that the singer had an "ongoing cash crisis" and was spending $20 million to $30 million more per year than he earned.

In March of last year, the singer faced foreclosure on Neverland. He also repeatedly failed to make mortgage payments on a house in Los Angeles that had been used for years by his family.

In addition, Jackson was forced to defend himself against a slew of lawsuits in recent years, including a $7 million claim from Sheik Abdulla bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the second son of the king of Bahrain.

Memorabilia auctions were frequently announced but became the subject of legal wrangling and were often canceled.

Time and again, however, Jackson found a way to wring cash out of high-value assets, borrowing tens of millions at a time or leaning on wealthy friends for advice, if not for money.

Al Khalifa, 33, took Jackson under his wing after his acquittal, moving him to the small Gulf estate and showering him with money.

In his lawsuit, Al Khalifa claimed he gave Jackson millions of dollars to help shore up his finances, cut an album, write an autobiography and subsidize his lifestyle — including more than $300,000 for a "motivational guru." The lawsuit was settled last year for an undisclosed amount. Neither the album nor book was ever produced.

Another wealthy benefactor came to Jackson's aid last year as he faced the prospect of losing Neverland in a public auction.

Billionaire Thomas Barrack, chairman and CEO of Los Angeles-based real estate investment firm Colony Capital LLC, agreed to bail out the singer and set up a joint venture with Jackson that took ownership of the vast estate.

Barrack was unavailable for comment Thursday, but referred to the singer in a statement as a "gentle, talented and compassionate man."

A final piece of the financial jigsaw puzzle fell into place in March, when billionaire Philip Anschutz' concert promotion company AEG Live announced it would promote 50 shows in London's O2 arena. Tickets sold out, and the first show of the "This is It" tour was set for July 8.

Jackson, who has won 13 Grammys, hadn't toured since 1997. His last studio album, "Invincible," was released in 2001.

But the opening date was later postponed to July 13 and some shows moved back to March 2010, fueling speculation that Jackson was suffering from health ailments that could curtail his comeback bid.

His death, caused by cardiac arrest according to his brother Jermaine, raised the question whether an insurer would refund money to ticketholders. AEG Live did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Jackson was practicing for the concert in Los Angeles at the Staples Center with Kenny Ortega, a choreographer and director of the "High School Musical" movies, who has worked on previous Jackson videos like "Dangerous" in 1993.

"We had a 25-year friendship. This is all too much to comprehend," Ortega said in a statement. "This was the world's greatest performer and the world will miss him."

http://www.billboard.com/news/micha...-jackson-died-deeply-in-debt-1003988280.story

sorry. i don't agree. first of all, the articles all say 'reportedly'. secondly, the media was biased against him. thirdly, his children are set for life. fourthly, while most people were never reported on, and went bankrupt, MJ never filed for bankruptcy. just the media wanted to report that he did. fifthy, everybody else seems out of money, and going after MJ for it, in the way of lawsuits.

there really isn't anything that you can say, to convince me to believe the media, at this time...especially since i saw an article that said that This Is It got him out of debt in one month's time, which is their way of wanting to look good, with their idea that death always sells. no one who is reported to have been in debt like the 'reporters' said MJ was in debt, could ever get out of that kind of debt in one month.

by the way, that article doesn't agree with itself. it says he could wring cash out of high value assets. that flies in the face of the rest of the article.

so..no..i don't believe MJ was in debt, or didn't know the value of a dollar. i can't take that but with a grain of salt from a nation full of reporters that subscribe to financial advice that has a whole nation deeply in debt, where businesses actually did close down.

most glaringly, this article calls MJ's financial situation a 'jigsaw puzzle', implying the writers don't know what they're talking about, and that they don't know whether or not, MJ was really in any financial trouble.

dying penniless, and dying in supposed debt, are two different things.

the best thing for a person to be able to do, is invest, in order to get back a wellspring. and the article admits to that. if you have a wellspring, you don't have trouble. the article isn't willing to admit to that logic. at least, if a reporter is going to submit an article, they should make sure it's not a jigsaw puzzle.

now, while i'll also list the media as another pet peeve, i have to say, that we have the gamut of opinions on MJ's financial abilities. i'll end with this. on the one side, we have Donald Trump..Mr. finance, who says MJ was financially brilliant. on the other, we have Barrack, who refuses to comment, but i'm sure there are people who will only see whatever he says, one way. a joint venture is not a takeover. and Barrack did decide to join forces with him. i doubt that anyone would join forces with someone who is inept. and he wasn't able to take MJ over. so MJ was doing alright. plus, everybody gets tutored. the question is, who is able to execute properly? apparently, MJ knew something about the value of a dollar that Paul McCartney did not.

So, between Donald Trump, and all this other stuff...people will believe what they want to believe.

i'll just take a look at MJ's kids..and say...everything's alright.

Last edited:
When I struggle to open my yogurt and some of it squirts out on my clothes. Why do they make those containers so difficult to open? :angry:

Having to keep a secret because you've bought someone a present! I just wanna give it to them straight away! :lol:

The thing that "Correct information" is not promptly transmitted is a very dangerous, scary thing.
Power to ascertain for myself is necessary now though the Internet spread.

I am not good at English. I think that there are a lot of beginning mistakes. I'm sorry...

Slacker co-workers who claim that they "don't need this job" when they don't get their way. Question for ya: Why don't you just QUIT?? I lose respect for people when I hear things like that.

People that own a dog when they should not. I mean some cannot train them properly and have a hard time making them obey when walking them on the street, talking to 'em with a quiet voice as if they were babies "Come hhhhhhere, come hhhhhhere, nnnnnno, come back here."

I am not saying that owners should be violent towards their dog, what i mean to say is that they should be loving but FIRM at the same time.

Last edited:
People who don't watch their small children properly. Just recently this little toddler came running towards a bus I was in. It was at the bus stop and the door was about to close. Luckily the driver saw the kid approaching the door and honked his horn and only THEN did the mother come running. :scratch:

Then many years ago my sister and I were out shopping at an outdoor flea market with her son in a stroller. She turned around to look at something and left the stroller alone. I could not believe my eyes. I told her, do you know how long it would take for someone to snatch that baby? Not even a second. I mean, I don't have kids but even I know this stuff!

Last edited:
People who don't watch their small children properly. Just recently this little toddler came running towards a bus I was in. It was at the bus stop and the door was about to close. Luckily the driver saw the kid approaching the door and honked his horn and only THEN did the mother come running. :rolling eyes:

Then many years ago my sister and I were out shopping at an outdoor flea market with her son in a stroller. She turned around to look at something and left the stroller alone. I could not believe my eyes. I told her, do you know how long it would take for someone to snatch that baby? Not even a second. I mean, I don't have kids but even I know this stuff!

it is amazing how often that happens, and with how many parents. it's staggering, and scary. too often, and too many parents.

one more reason why i soooo appreciate everything Michael did for his kids. everything.

anyway, another pet peeve of mine is when someone preaches for you to ask for help when you need it, and then, when you finally ask, they punish you for asking.

andd...when somebody goes after another person, PERSONALLY, because their OPINION, about something, differs from their own!!

Last edited:
Door cutters. Those obnoxious people who cut in front of you as soon as the subway train door opens...even though I was there first.

Poll hoggers. Those obnoxious people who lean their entire body against the poll of the train preventing others from holding on.

:angry:

People who spit their gum out on the sidewalk or pavement.

Twist-off caps that don't twist off!

Paper cuts....especially from cardboard. Ouch!

Pre-recorded telemarketing calls (OK, well, ANY telemarketing calls).

Opening the mail box and it's nothing but bills.

Nosy

People who are worried about somebody else's business and give recommendations/opinions about it, when it has nothing to do with them. Especially if the 2nd party doesn't know the 1st party exists, lol.

When you cook for guests (aka family members) but these guests eat before they come over (probably at McDonald's) and then they are too full to eat the food you went through hell preparing for them. Grrrr!

Next time they are fending for themselves. :smilerolleyes:

Ok, so I contributed instant brown rice so it wasn't all that hard to prepare.:hysterical: Still, it was rude of them. Now I have 6 months worth of brown rice left over. :angry:

I hate living near this marine base; everyday for the past I guess week they have been firing targets and 1. its loud as hell & 2. our house shakes.

P.S. I love our marines I just wish the base was far far away. Oh and PS2- Monday they missed their target and our house shook like an earthquake! It was so scary.

People who are always negative. Complaining about everything and can't enjoy small things.

and people who have lots and lots of pet peeves :p

me too!! I hate pessemessts & I know plenty!! They / she complains about stuff that she has no control over: stupid ppl, stupid drivers, stupid teens...etc. She loves drama. Misery does love company.

I really hate the type of guys who go around sleeping with different women and brag about it. To me that's not impressive and it's A-holes like that who put guys in the ''They are only after one thing'' sterotype

Star Wars lightsaber fights:

I love Star Wars movies (the most recent ones) + the fights in these movies but sometimes it looks like they try to touch more the lightsaber than the opponent lol.

People who just show up at your house without giving you any notice

People who just show up at your house without giving you any notice

my dad does that and is pisses us off especially when he comes over early in the morning when he knows we are sleeping.

Back