Queen of Soul Upset Over "Queen" Statement By Beyonce

Well, I think Tina's voice is more the rock n' roll. I think Aretha is good, but overrated. I think with her, its largely a case of the emperors new cloths. I would take Tina over Aretha any day. I think her voice is more interesting, I think she has just as much soul and I think she's far more exciting to watch on stage. She was a legened before she came back with "What's Love Got To Do With It". Ike and Tina Turner made massive classics and her performances were already legendary.
Name 3 of tina's clasic.:)

When I heard about this, I was on Re-Re's side. Now, I am still on her side. Beyonce might have not mean any harm, but Beyonce should have called Tina (LOVE HER!) the "Queen of Rock and Roll." Now, Beyonce's father needs to shut up and sit down. No one asked for his opinion. LOL.

"Rolling on The River", "Proud Mary", and "Private Dancer".
Did you just look that up? I know the first one, I do not know the others although I must have heard them as I have watched the film several times.
I would say they are more known to her fans than the general public. I wouldsay,m had Tina not had that film and came back the second time, most people would be saying Tina who. I own several Aretha album. I do not own one of Tina's and I would never buy one. I reallydo not like her voice.:)

When I heard about this, I was on Re-Re's side. Now, I am still on her side. Beyonce might have not mean any harm, but Beyonce should have called Tina (LOVE HER!) the "Queen of Rock and Roll." Now, Beyonce's father needs to shut up and sit down. No one asked for his opinion. LOL.
Yes, she should have said the queen of rock and roll. I would have loved that and Aretha wouldn't have had a problem with it cause she doesn't sing RnRoll. But to call her the queen implies that she is above all the others, including Aretha and that was insulting to Aretha. I really don't think Beyonce intended to hurt Aretha, but I don't think beyonce is very bright.:)

I screwed up because I typed the same song twice, my brain died for a second, "Proud Mary" IS "Rolling on The River", lol. No, I didn't just look them up, I actually know those songs. Private Dancer and What's Love Got To Do With It are the others I listed. There's more, but I'm not a huge fan, so I can't think of any right now, lol. But I couldn't do that for Aretha either.

And calling Aretha the Queen would imply she's above all the others as well, which I don't think she is... at all, lol.

Last edited:
I screwed up because I typed the same song twice, my brain died for a second, "Proud Mary" IS "Rolling on The River", lol. No, I didn't just look them up, I actually know those songs. Private Dancer and What's Love Got To Do With It are the others I listed. There's more, but I'm not a huge fan, so I can't think of any right now, lol. But I couldn't do that for Aretha either.

And calling Aretha the Queen would imply she's above all the others as well, which I don't think she is... at all, lol.
Seen, but Areha was always called queen of soul, even before it became fashionable to give people title. It is her official title in the industry. Tina had no title at all. I think the reason for this is that she came back to the industry very late after a long absence and and she catered for mainly a european audience. Beyonce migh have called them both queens to avoid offending anyone, but she didn't. Pay some attention to Aretha's album. Check out RESPECT.

Last edited:
You mean her cover of that Ottis Redding song? lol. I know Aretha's work pretty well. I really like "Pink Caddy". But she's overrated, imo. I think Patty LaBelle is better, and Donna Summer. I don't think calling someone a general name like "The Queen" is an insult, I think it's just a respectful way to introduce somebody whose been in the business for over 40 years.

Last edited:
You mean her cover of that Ottis Redding song? lol. I know Aretha's work pretty well. I really like "Pink Caddy". But she's overrated, imo. I think Patty LaBelle is better, and Donna Summer.
You are on your own with that. Pattie Labelle didn't come anywhere with the voting for the top 100 female artists. Even Janet come up at 77. There was no pattie, and If I hear pattie sing one more time I am going to set my dog on her. I just cannot stand her voice.:huh:

You are on your own with that. Pattie Labelle didn't come anywhere with the voting for the top 100 female artists. Even Janet come up at 77. There was no pattie, and If I hear pattie sing one more time I am going to set my dog on her. I just cannot stand her voice.:huh:

Who cares about some list? lol. Pattie can sing like a mother f- watch your mouth! :lol:

I think her quality is better then Aretha's. And Donna Summer is just the best.

Who cares about some list? lol. Pattie can sing like a mother f- watch your mouth! :lol:

I think her quality is better then Aretha's. And Donna Summer is just the best.
Please! I used to have a lot of respect for your musical taste, but I have changed my mind. To put Pattie over Aretha is sacriligious. Aretha has been placed in first position on the list made by her peers, so it counts for something. it shows tha most people do not think like you. Lawd pattie would start all the wolves wailing. :eek: My ears are acking already just by the thought of it.:)

Please! I used to have a lot of respect for your musical taste, but I have changed my mind. To put Pattie over Aretha is sacriligious. Aretha has been placed in first position on the list made by her peers, so it counts for something. it shows tha most people do not think like you. Lawd pattie would start all the wolves wailing. :eek: My ears are acking already just by the thought of it.:)

wow...this kind of arguing qualifies me to like anyone i want. it's amazing how two terrific voices can be garbage to one person and a treasure to another...lol

*goes off to listen to some tpain*

Last edited:
wow...this kind of arguing qualifies me to like anyone i want. it's amazing how two terrific voices can be garbage to one person and a treasure to another...lol
But of course. I have listened to Pattie Labelle and I just cannot stand her voice. I drives me crazy, seriously.:eek: But I love aretha.

Thanks for the insult. I thought we we're having a fun conversation until you came at me with that. A lot of people prefer Pattie over Aretha, me included. To say I have no musical taste because of that is really rude. I could say you have no musical taste because you think Randy Jackson can sing, but that would be mean and untrue. You may not like Patties voice, but she sure can sing, she's got an amazing voice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insult. I thought we we're having a fun conversation until you came at me with that. A lot of people prefer Pattie over Aretha, me included. To say I have no musical taste because of that is really rude. I could say you have no musical taste because you think Randy Jackson can sing, but that would be mean and untrue. You may not like Patties voice, but she sure can sing, she's got an amazing voice.
Lawd Wannabe, nobody is insulting anyone here. We were all having a light hearted conversation. You being so critical of others, I honestly thought you could take a light-hearted joke. I really wasn't intending to offend you. Sorry, geese. If it makes you feel any better, I still resect your musical taste. :)

I'm critical of other's artistic abilities, but you never see me attack anyone on here personally or undermine their taste by saying they have none, do you? I don't take comment's like that well. How am I supposed to take it as a joke when you made no indication that it was one?

Last edited:
I'm critical of other's artistic abilities, but you never see me attack anyone on here personally or undermine their taste by saying they have none, do you? I don't take comment's like that well. How am I supposed to take it as a joke when you made no indication that it was one?

Wannabe, get it right if you are going to accuse me. I did not say you had no taste in music. I simply said thatI used to respect your taste in music but I've changed my mind. That is a lot of difference. I don't have to respect your taste in music anymore than you have to respect mine.
I am shocked that you find that offensive. I also said I was sorry that you are offended as I thought we were all having light hearted banter. I honestly thought you were made of tougher stuff, wannabe, but oh well. Please remind me not to joke with you anymore.:mello:

I didn't say you said I had no taste, but you implied I didn't by saying you don't respect it any longer simply because of a difference in opinion, that's insulting to me. You didn't indicate that was a joke, so how am I supposed to know? You said it as though you were dead serious, no laughing emoticons or lol abriviations. You shouldn't be so surprised. I'm pretty tough, but I don't like to be insulted or what can be percieved as an insult. If you were joking, then no harm done, but you didn't indicat that you were, so I took offense to it.

I didn't say you said I had no taste, but you implied I didn't by saying you don't respect it any longer simply because of a difference in opinion, that's insulting to me. You didn't indicate that was a joke, so how am I supposed to know? You said it as though you were dead serious, no laughing emoticons or lol abriviations. You shouldn't be so surprised. I'm pretty tough, but I don't like to be insulted or what can be percieved as an insult. If you were joking, then no harm done, but you didn't indicat that you were, so I took offense to it.
You accused me. Go back and check your post. You said I said you had no musical taste. In fact I should have taken offence but I am not. We were all getting on well, until you decide to feel insulted. I apologises 2 TIMES but you carryone with your accusation. I shall not be responding to this because I find it poinlless to do so.:)

Alright, I did say that, and I'm sorry. I didnt' realize. I accept your apology as well. I was offended because what you did do was imply that I had no taste, whether you said so directly or not. I didn't mean to get angry, but you seemed angry at me, that's why I got defensive. So I'm sorry, and I thank you for your apology.

Different people, different reaction...different doesn't erase b*#chy-ness LOL

Uh, I didn't say anywhere that Michael lacks emotion or isn't hurt by what people say. I said Michael shows class by not talking about other people in public. He doesn't let petty sh*t get in his way. He's tougher then nails and that's why. Aretha's just overreacting, in my opinion. Michael's had mean jokes made about him while he's been in the building, things about how black he is. There was even one point in which Michael was being given an award by some guy in Africa I think, or he was being presented or something, I can't remember, but the guy was talking in to the microphone and Michael was standing right next to him, and this guy said something about Michael being a child molester. He didn't speak english very well and it was maybe a slip up or misspoken, but he said it, right in front of Michael. Michael's whole face fell and you could see it, litterally, have a really bad impact on him, but Michael didn't react vocally or say anything. Or that prank caller who said all that nasty sh*t to Michael about little boys on the phone. Michael didn't tell the guy off or cuss into the phone. He tried to just get out of the conversation at that point. He doesn't diss people and that's classy. You may say that he wouldn't get screwed with so much if he took a stand, but that's not who Michael is. In private is one thing. But Michael doesn't like or want to offend anybody and that's just good manners. The rest of the world could take a que from him on how to conduct ones self. I did say though, that if anyone had the right to shoot back, it was Michael, because some horrible stuff has been said about him. If he ever does react, it will be justitifed. But a comment about some title would hardly get a rise out of Michael, not after what he's endured. I just think Aretha is seriously being oversensitive to something so meaningless and which didn't even come across as a diss, in my view.

well..in MJ's case..the mass accumulation of what he's gone through no longer qualifies as petty. and politeness is a non issue if it'll keep his well being intact. it's always petty to someone on the outside looking in, but when it's directed at you, it's not so petty anymore..

i don't think MJ would be without class if he was heard saying things in the media about these people who feed off of hurting others...

as far as aretha goes...it's no big deal to me that she reacted the way she did. it's just part of her dignity..and, like i said..she earned it. people have feelings..and they'll just have to respect each other more..that's all..

i think beyonce will get over it...and Tina probably might understand it, since it was aretha doing the talking..and not beyonce.. i'm sure Tina respects aretha enough to understand her reaction..i'd bet on it, anyway...

it's over....in some ways..it's entertaining. and it's nice to know these great artists remind us that they have feelings too. it's not hurting the world any. there are worse things happening in the world than aretha's reaction.

its not a point about having feelings, its how you DEAL with them. Are you classy and mature about it or not? And Aretha Im afraid, is not lol

Aretha should've just let it go. I didn't see a big deal in Beyonce's comment. No big deal whatsoever. Just sad when music legends wanna think they were dis-serviced because another woman called another woman something of royalty. It's just a title unless you earned it and even then titles don't always determine who an artist is. I loved that Tina got honored the way she did because she hasn't really been honored as much as Aretha so the one time Tina gets something, Aretha has to talk like it's all about her. Love her music but she's so disrespectful. Real talk.

Last edited:
"Proud Mary", and "Private Dancer" and "What's Love".

"A Fool in Love"
"It's Gonna Work Out Fine"
"River Deep - Mountain High"
"Bold Soul Sister"
"Nutbush City Limits"
"Let's Stay Together" (though everyone credits it to just Al, she pulled in a great cover)
"Better Be Good to Me"
"We Don't Need Another Hero"
"Typical Male"
"(Simply) The Best"
"I Don't Wanna Fight"
"When the Heartache Is Over"

Tina's real legend was from her stage performances though, she gave you a show and left you exhausted. She earned her stripes just as much as Aretha if not more, in fact they're without peer really.

Last edited:
Back