Queen of Soul Upset Over "Queen" Statement By Beyonce

Wow. everything going on in the world today and she's pissed off about being called "the queen" instead of something else..

Gotta love them divas

yeah they need to just let it go come on Aretha you know that young girl just sayin things she i like aretha but she could have just let it slide not go on t.v. and diss beyonce im sure Tina was even like _____?

Uh... okay. Can you imagine if Michael got mad every time someone else got called the "King of Pop"?

Obviously, they are two different people. :mello:

The MJ example isn't really a mirror of this because Beyonce didn't call Tina "The Queen of Soul." It also doesn't work because even if someone simply called Justin Timberlake "The King," it'd be really odd since he's not even a legend.

Still, MJ never publicly complained about the Rolling Stone cover with JT or any other time another pop star has been given his title by somebody.

Then again, perhaps there's some backstage wackyness going on pertaining to the Grammys that none of us are privy to. Otherwise, Franklin is being kinda childish lol.

aretha has the title of "The Queen" as well as 'the Queen of Soul". its the first time i hear someone in the business refer to tina as "The Queen" :huh: tina has the title of "The Queen of Rock 'n' Roll". aretha has both "the queen" and "the queen of soul" titles

She has? I've never known her by that title. But that's like people calling Elvis "The King". That just implies he's the King of everything and so does calling Aretha "The Queen". So you can't use that very common affix for anyone else? I wonder if Aretha would get angry if they called Queen Elizabeth "The Queen", lol.

Last edited:
Uh... okay. Can you imagine if Michael got mad every time someone else got called the "King of Pop"? He's have issued enough statements to reach the top of Mount Everast by now, lol.

i soooo agree. that's why i'm so defensive of him, cus everybody else in the business will sue at the drop of a hat, or they'll react either like kanye or aretha. then, everybody starts to get offended if mj finally has the nerve to practice some self preservation, cus they're used to mj being everybody's doormat, and they somehow think he should remain that way..when, indeed, he should be allowed to retaliate, just like everybody else.

I agree vncwilliam. But that's part of what makes Michael so cool. I've never seen anyone get attacked as often or as severly as he does, but he never complains or retaliates or attacks anyone in defense. That takes amazing strength. Because if anyone deserves to shoot back, it's him.

One thing here, don't diss Tina Turner and her talent. She's an extremely good singer, one of the best around, and she's a hell of a performer. She's got soul.

I agree vncwilliam. But that's part of what makes Michael so cool. I've never seen anyone get attacked as often or as severly as he does, but he never complains or retaliates or attacks anyone in defense. That takes amazing strength. Because if anyone deserves to shoot back, it's him.

One thing here, don't diss Tina Turner and her talent. She's an extremely good singer, one of the best around, and she's a hell of a performer. She's got soul.

it may be cool, but i'm not gunna think any less of him, if he does snap back, cus it's not healthy to keep it inside..even if he does have music. it's not fair of us to hold him up to a higher emotional standard, unless we want that done to us. he's human, and he should be allowed that. also, i don't blame aretha. she can back it up.

t may be cool, but i'm not gunna think any less of him, if he does snap back, cus it's not healthy to keep it inside..

Well he's prob not dwelling on what people say like others usually do. He ignores em, I'd think. Especially when he's just being true to himself.

I personally think it'd be awesome if MJ started telling people off. It's admirable that he doesn't, for sure.

Well he's prob not dwelling on what people say like others usually do. He ignores em, I'd think. Especially when he's just being true to himself.

that may be true..or not..we don't know for sure...only he knows his true self....but i don't fault him either way

it may be cool, but i'm not gunna think any less of him, if he does snap back, cus it's not healthy to keep it inside..even if he does have music. it's not fair of us to hold him up to a higher emotional standard, unless we want that done to us. he's human, and he should be allowed that. also, i don't blame aretha. she can back it up.
If Mj would have answered back more often they probably wouldn't have effed with him so often. And yes, Aretha can back it up. Some of us who are blaming Aretha for showing her true feelings are not so humble when it comes to showing the other cheek on fan boards. Beyonce was well out of order to call Tina the queen.She underminded Aretha's staus on a public forum. But Beyonce isn't very smart. She may value Tina more that Aretha because her whole persaon is based on Tina's. I have yet to hear miss Beyonce sing like Aretha.

It would be rather interesting.;) He might call them devilish :lol:
I think MJ does complain but he does it privately. Notice how Big boy says, he doesn't hold his tongue. I believe he speaks to friends, but not to the media. I really have problems with those people who would put Mj on some pedestal and not expect him to react like any normal human being to do; People like these are in for a disappointment. I would prefer to think that he does cuss them out behind close doors. This is human nature. Why should he not get angry and react like anyone of us would.:)

Last edited:
I think MJ does complain but he does it privately. Notice how Big boy says, he doesn't hold his tongue. I believe he speaks to friends, but not to the media. I really have problems with those people who would put Mj on some pedestal and not expect him to react like any normal human being to do; People like these are in for a disappointment. I would prefer to think that he does cuss them out behind close doors. This is human nature. Why should he get angry and react like anyone of us would.:)

i agree. like u said...it's human nature. i mean people believe that MJ has flaws in other areas of his life, but somehow, when it comes to his emotions they might believe he acts 'superhuman'? that doesn't really make any sense..

Last edited:
Notice how Big boy says, he doesn't hold his tongue. I believe he speaks to friends, but not to the media.

Of course. Like he and Princess Di used to converse all the time about these things, He's mentioned. I would strongly believe he does, yeah. But I meant, publicly, it would be interesting to see people get stunned by Michael's iron fist. lol

Uh, I didn't say anywhere that Michael lacks emotion or isn't hurt by what people say. I said Michael shows class by not talking about other people in public. He doesn't let petty sh*t get in his way. He's tougher then nails and that's why. Aretha's just overreacting, in my opinion. Michael's had mean jokes made about him while he's been in the building, things about how black he is. There was even one point in which Michael was being given an award by some guy in Africa I think, or he was being presented or something, I can't remember, but the guy was talking in to the microphone and Michael was standing right next to him, and this guy said something about Michael being a child molester. He didn't speak english very well and it was maybe a slip up or misspoken, but he said it, right in front of Michael. Michael's whole face fell and you could see it, litterally, have a really bad impact on him, but Michael didn't react vocally or say anything. Or that prank caller who said all that nasty sh*t to Michael about little boys on the phone. Michael didn't tell the guy off or cuss into the phone. He tried to just get out of the conversation at that point. He doesn't diss people and that's classy. You may say that he wouldn't get screwed with so much if he took a stand, but that's not who Michael is. In private is one thing. But Michael doesn't like or want to offend anybody and that's just good manners. The rest of the world could take a que from him on how to conduct ones self. I did say though, that if anyone had the right to shoot back, it was Michael, because some horrible stuff has been said about him. If he ever does react, it will be justitifed. But a comment about some title would hardly get a rise out of Michael, not after what he's endured. I just think Aretha is seriously being oversensitive to something so meaningless and which didn't even come across as a diss, in my view.

Last edited:
I cannot understand why a man's reaction should be compared to a woman's reaction in matters likethis. Men are less likely to react to things like this. It is like comparing apples and oranges. Beyonce disrespected Aretha in public and she reacted as women do. That is all. Beyonce must conduct herself in public with more class and decorum. Calling Tina The Queen undermines Aretha's position. That is wrong. She did it publicly. Had MJ stood on a public platform and Justin or Ushew was called the king, Mj fans would have been insensed by it. We should be able to see what is wrong with that. Aretha should have used her handbag on Beyonce.

Last edited:
But Tina is a legened also. Justin or Usher or whoever aren't anything more then popular pop products. Tina is a real artist. Calling Tina the Queen isn't a diss, its just a truth. If they called Justin or Usher the King next to Michael, sure I'd be mad, because they don't deserve any such title, but if they called say, Stevie Wonder the King next to Michael, I wouldn't be mad at all. See the difference?

ppl in the industry and fans gave them their titles. just like we gave michael his own title ;)
i would be mad as heck if justin introduced prince in an official ceremony as the king of pop
same goes here i guess. i guess aretha as well as some of us considered it disrespectful since she was present at the ceremony and the title belongs to her
and with this Michael's title there are only problems ....;)

not to offend the Americans but I believe it's because of lack of the real monarchy in the USA... you just need the royalty.... hence Elvis- the king, and Michael and Aretha and others.....
this is my feeling... OK I'll stop here

Last edited:
I think MJ does complain but he does it privately. Notice how Big boy says, he doesn't hold his tongue. I believe he speaks to friends, but not to the media. I really have problems with those people who would put Mj on some pedestal and not expect him to react like any normal human being to do; People like these are in for a disappointment. I would prefer to think that he does cuss them out behind close doors. This is human nature. Why should he not get angry and react like anyone of us would.:)

MJ has most likely talked about people who have insulted him to those he knows personally. I was talking about publicly, though. I know he did that with the Eminem video, but I meant that I would find it awesome if he out of nowhere blurted, "You know, I'm looking at this list of album sales, and it turns out Thriller is #1 in the world. Hmm, where's Jesse McCartney on here?" or "Who the hell is Katt Williams? I'm Michael Jackson. Please ask me questions about people who we're sure even exist."

Totally out of character, I know. More likely something I'd say if I had the cred to do so.

Last edited:
But Tina is a legened also. Justin or Usher or whoever aren't anything more then popular pop products. Tina is a real artist. Calling Tina the Queen isn't a diss, its just a truth. If they called Justin or Usher the King next to Michael, sure I'd be mad, because they don't deserve any such title, but if they called say, Stevie Wonder the King next to Michael, I wouldn't be mad at all. See the difference?
Tina became a legend after she came back at 40, Aretha put her stamp on soul music with her distinguish voice from the get go. I am offended to hear people on this board speak ill of her, She has every right to speak her mind. She earned that right.
Furthermoere, none of us know in what context she spoke about it. She might have been asked about it and she merely replied. To say 'THE QUEEN' is to undermine Aretha's achievement and that must have hurt her deeply. If I had to chose between Tina and Aretha, I would chose Aretha without hesitation. I believe it would be the same the world over. Aretha's voice is universal. Tina's voice is strictly rock and roll.:)

Last edited:
Well, I think Tina's voice is more the rock n' roll. I think Aretha is good, but overrated. I think with her, its largely a case of the emperors new cloths. I would take Tina over Aretha any day. I think her voice is more interesting, I think she has just as much soul and I think she's far more exciting to watch on stage. She was a legened before she came back with "What's Love Got To Do With It". Ike and Tina Turner made massive classics and her performances were already legendary.

Last edited:
Back