Quincy Jones and Michael. . . What's Q's problem?

I wouldn't worry about it. I think Quincy wants to say that he is the reason Michael was a big as he was. He thinks that without him, Michael would be nothing. He doesn't understand that it was Michael who made Thriller. As a producer he helped a little, but it was Michael's vision and talent and creativity and drive and destiny that made him as successful as he turned out to be. If Quincy wants to take credit for Michael's success, then let him, but if I were in his shoes, I would have felt so honoured to have worked with a genius like Michael Jackson. Maybe someone should tell Q he should be more appreciative. There are thousands of producers out there that would have loved to work with Michael. Quincy was lucky enough to do that. But saying Michael Jackson wasn't really that talented, is like saying Michael Jordan couldn't really play basketball. It's obsurd. It's obvious he doesn't like to give Michael credit for his success.

Hmm, well, if he thinks it was just him and not Michael's talent, then he should just get Jermaine and do Thriller 2. See how successful that is.

Oh dear! I could ignore him for saying MJ didn't want to be black, because I thought he was simply ignorant about vitiligo. But this is ridiculous. And is this the same man who said at the Grammys in 1984 "Michael Jackson is one of the most talented people I have ever met"? Why did he turn so bitter? I really don't understand this.

The people he named are all very talented people, no doubt. So was Michael. They just had different skills. Let's see how Billy Holiday, Frank Sinatra or Aretha Franklin dances! Well, they didn't even write their own songs and Quincy has the spine to say they were more talented?

BTW, I was shocked to read on Wikipedia recently that Quincy actually wanted drop Billie Jean from the Thriller album! He thought it was too weak! He also didn't like the 29 seconds beat intro, he wanted to cut that off too, only Michael didn't let him saying: "But Quincy, that's what makes me dance!" So much about Quincy's judgement!

Is there any video of this where Quincy says that? If there is I'll send it to El Pais and to Quincy! ;)

I'm always amazed how Quincy talks about his own talents in composition when talking about his Pop recordings, when I can't think of many well known songs he's had a written contribution to. I'm amazed that The Dude album is a "Quincy Jones" album when he didn't sing on or write any of the songs. He's a producer and a musical arranger, but what makes him so special that he gets entire albums credited to him and him only? Should George Martin stand up and try and put his mug on The Beatles' records?

Back to the OT. Anybody know when Q & Michael's relationship began to sour? I know about the DETAILS magazine article (gotta look to see when that came out), but had he been saying bad stuff about MJ before then?

I definitely think that their relationship began to sour during the Bad sessions. I think they clashed a lot recording that album. Then when Michael decided that he didn't want to work with Quincy on the Dangerous album, I think Quincy took it personally. I think that they had started working on that album together, but Michael wanted something new, new sounds, new producers. . . so he went with Byron Loren and then with Teddy Riley, who is the father of New Jack Swing. I think Quincy was thinking that Michael couldn't have a successful album without him or something like that.

Dangerous was a superb album. Also, it was the new jack swing sound which was the new sound in pop/R&B. But at this time, Michael's personal life was overtaking the music. Like people were talking more about what the rumors about his life were than the music. Then the allegations struck.

I truly believe that if Michael hadn't been hit with those allegations, Michael's albums after 1994 would have been more huge and more well known, more well-received, etc. JMO.

I would imagine the collapse of his magazine "Vibe" and Michael's money no longer being available to him have something to do with this

Now he is just a bitter old man.

I truly believe that if Michael hadn't been hit with those allegations, Michael's albums after 1994 would have been more huge and more well known, more well-received, etc. JMO.

Very good point. Just imagine how well dangerous would´ve sold without those stupid All......and with MJ touring the USA with the dangerous tour.
40 millions and more!!!

I agree with Elmari, but mainly because Bad is my favorite album. Yes i love PYT, THRILLER, BILLIE JEAN etc, but i love the ENTIRE bad album. I know every song by heart and so i consider it my favorite album. And dangerous was extremely good too, so i do agree with you when u say his private life took over his personal life.

Well an entertainer can't work with the same producer all his life, he's got to experiment. I am glad Michael chose someone different for Dangerous, because it came out perfect. It seems that everyone in Michael's life becme bitter and jelous when Michael cut them off lol.

It seems that everyone in Michael's life becme bitter and jelous when Michael cut them off lol.

True words. Michael was so special that there was always a black hole when he left so people became bitter and jealous of the people who were still close to MJ. It´s called the Corey Feldman syndrome

It seems that everyone in Michael's life becme bitter and jelous when Michael cut them off lol.

Truer words never spoken. Michael was such an enigma and he draw people to him like flies.

I remember reading that when Michael assosiate himself w/ u, you feel like the most special person in the world... you think that you know him better than anyone... you think he will open up to you... but then he'll just suddenly cut you off because he moved on and leaves you behind.. Then they often feel like Mike abandoned them.

LOLS! Q is just hung up over Michael. He thought that Mike and him will bw working together forever...

Quincy suffers from the Corey Feldman syndrome.

I've only read hateful or insinuating comments on this forum about Quincy Jones, Lisa Marie Presley, Oprah Winfrey, Sheryl Crow, Jermaine Jackson, Miko Brando, La Toya Jackson, Joe Jackson, Joh'Vonnie Jackson, Debbie Rowe, Thomas Messereu (sp?), Beyonce Knowles, MTV, VH1, Jack Black, Jimmy Fallon, the Beatles, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Deepak Chopra, the Jewish community, Randy J. Taborelli, Sony, Geraldo Rivera, Howard Stern, Frank Dileo, Elvis, Prince, Barrack Obama, Corey Feldman, Kenny Ortega, Bill O'Reilly, Fox News, Uri Geller, R. Kelly, John Landis, Rolling Stone magazine, Billboard magazine, GQ magazine, Soundcan, Adrian Grant, Bruce Springsteen, AEG, Eminem, Paris Hilton, the Eagles, Rabbi Schmuley, Steven Spielberg, the BET tribute, and the proposed Vienna tribute. Aside from all that, I don't see much complaining around here. . . . Is the song "Heal the World" or "Hate the World"? Just checkin.

um, what

Ah come on, don't have much time for Quincy, but Off the Wall, Thriller, or Bad are on a completely different level than Dangerous, History, Invincible.

Don't agree :).

I like Bad, Dangerous and HIStory betetr.

Aww... In this 84 Grammy video, Mike says that 'Quincy Jones is one of my best friends in the world. He is a wonderful producer and he is a wonderful person.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awV_On2LnZ8

Where did the love go?!?!?

ETA:

QUINCY SAYS AT 3:05-->

"MICHAEL IS ONE OF THE GREATEST TALENTS THAT I HAVE EVER MET!"

I am going to tweet this video to Quincy right now! Also, gonna try to comment on the El Pais article with this video.

Okay, did both. I am happy now that I could do something about this.

Last edited:
Aww... In this 84 Grammy video, Mike says that 'Quincy Jones is one of my best friends in the world. He is a wonderful producer and he is a wonderful person.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awV_On2LnZ8

Where did the love go?!?!?

ETA:

QUINCY SAYS AT 3:05-->

"MICHAEL IS ONE OF THE GREATEST TALENTS THAT I HAVE EVER MET!"

Yeah, what happened? :(.

Maybe Michael was calling Quincy one of his best friends a little too easily (I get the impression he did tend to do that... like there some interview of him calling Slash a very dear friend of his... but from what I've read it doesn't really seem like they were actually friends...).

Yeah, what happened? :(.

Maybe Michael was calling Quincy one of his best friends a little too easily (I get the impression he did tend to do that... like there some interview of him calling Slash a very dear friend of his... but from what I've read it doesn't really seem like they were actually friends...).

Well, I sort of think it could have been the case btw Quincy and Michael. They spent like 24/7 together doing Thriller and ET. Before that it was The Wiz and OTW. Michael obviously trusted Quincy very much.

Did you see what I added to my post. Quincy accepts a grammy and says that Michael is one of the greatest talents that he had ever met.

Uhhh. . .I have no words.

I'm always amazed how Quincy talks about his own talents in composition when talking about his Pop recordings, when I can't think of many well known songs he's had a written contribution to. I'm amazed that The Dude album is a "Quincy Jones" album when he didn't sing on or write any of the songs. He's a producer and a musical arranger, but what makes him so special that he gets entire albums credited to him and him only? Should George Martin stand up and try and put his mug on The Beatles' records?

Exactly! I have several Quincy Jones albums and I can't think of a song on any of them that Quincy wrote! He is just making covers with some famous singers and that's it.

I think Mike and Q were a brilliant team together, they complemented each other: Q was a skilled, educated musician, something that Michael wasn't, because he never formally studied music, he just had his raw talent. So Q helped him out there + with the arrangement and also IMO Q was the one who encouraged him to write songs and to gain confidence in his abilities there. So from that aspect, as a mentor, yes Michael has a lot to thank to him. On the other hand Michael was the creative one. As I said I cannot think a song that Q wrote, whereas Michael wrote most of his great hits! And those hits sold millions and millions of copies! And Q has the nerve to call him untalented?

I definitely think that their relationship began to sour during the Bad sessions. I think they clashed a lot recording that album. Then when Michael decided that he didn't want to work with Quincy on the Dangerous album, I think Quincy took it personally.

completely agree:agree:

And just for the record: actually Dangerous sold more copies than Bad.

After that, well.... after that Michael had a lot to deal with with the alligations and stuff. I think he would have gone down a whole different path both artistically and personally if the alligations never happened.

Exactly! I have several Quincy Jones albums and I can't think of a song on any of them that Quincy wrote! He is just making covers with some famous singers and that's it.

I think Mike and Q were a brilliant team together, they complemented each other: Q was a skilled, educated musician, something that Michael wasn't, because he never formally studied music, he just had his raw talent. So Q helped him out there + with the arrangement and also IMO Q was the one who encouraged him to write songs and to gain confidence in his abilities there. So from that aspect, as a mentor, yes Michael has a lot to thank to him. On the other hand Michael was the creative one. As I said I cannot think a song that Q wrote, whereas Michael wrote most of his great hits! And those hits sold millions and millions of copies! And Q has the nerve to call him untalented?

Yes!!!

Another thing Frank Sinatra HIMSELF said that the only man capable of singing better than him was MICHAEL JACKSON

And that tells you what?? That tells me that Spielberg who has THE POWER in Hollywood cared shit about Mike. Spielberg could ´ve said no and rewrote the script that it would fit Michael Jackson but he didn´t. Michael was very very hurt when he heard that he wouldn´t get the part. It was his dream to do movies and it was his dream to play the part of Peter Pan. Spielberg destroyed his dreams and therefore Michael never spoke one word with Spielberg again.
The only good thing was that in the end the movie with Williams was a big flop for Spielberg it was a megaflop!!!
With Michael the film would´ve been a huge success. So Spielberg got a little payback from the audience.

Did that happen after the allegations?, if so, I guess Michael would have been very upset...

But I had heard something different about the supposed falling out between them, that Spielberg though They Don't Care About Us was anti Semitic.

Yes!!!

Another thing Frank Sinatra HIMSELF said that the only man capable of singing better than him was MICHAEL JACKSON

Oh yah, I remember reading that! Then there is Fred Astaire telling Michael that he is 'one helluva dancer/mover'. Sammy Davis, Jr. saying that he wouldn't dare leave his tap shoes alone in a room with Michael. . . LOL! These are the creme de la creme praising Michael!

Oh yah, tell Quincy your comments, if you have any:

TWITTER
http://twitter.com/QuincyDJones

FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/QuincyJones

MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/quincyjones

Spielberg and Michael were not BIIGGG Friends but there was a really good Spielberg, George Lucas, Martin Scorsese and Coppola connection. After the Peter Pan incident the connection was over he never spoke with Spielberg again!

Spielberg visited Michael and Winston at Ghosts' video shoot.

It was in The Making of Ghosts.

I think the Details interview is real:

Q: You were there to witness the strange evolution in Michael's appearance. Did you ever step in and saying anything about it?
A: Oh, we talked about it all the time. But he'd come up with, "Man, I promise you I have this disease," and so forth, and "I have a blister on my lungs," and all that kind of b.s. It's hard, because Michael's a Virgo, man—he's very set in his ways. You can't talk him out of it. Chemical peels and all that stuff.

Q: Did you believe him about the disease?
A: I don't believe in any of that bullshit, no. No. Never. I've been around junkies and stuff all my life. I've heard every excuse. It's like smokers—"I only smoke when I drink" and all that stuff. But it's bullshit. You're justifying something that's destructive to your existence. It's crazy. I mean, I came up with Ray Charles, man. You know, nobody gonna pull no wool over my eyes. He did heroin 20 years! Come on. And black coffee and gin for 40 years. But when he called me to come over to see him when he was in the hospital on his way out, man, he had emphysema, hepatitis C, cirrhosis of the liver, and five malignant tumors. Please, man! I've been around this all my life. So it's hard for somebody to pull the wool over my eyes. But when somebody's hell-bent on it, you can't stop 'em.

Q: But it must've been so disturbing to see Michael's face turn into what it turned into.
A: It's ridiculous, man! Chemical peels and all of it. And I don't understand it. But he obviously didn't want to be black.

Q: Is that what it was?
A: Well, what do you think? You see his kids?

Q: Did you ever discuss it? Did you ever ask, "Michael, don't you want to be a black man?"
A: No, no, no, please. That's not the way you do it.

Q: But he was beautiful before?
A: Man, he was the most gorgeous guy.

Q: But he seemed to have some deep-seated issue with how he looked?
A: Well, that comes about a certain way. I'm not sure how it happens. I'm just a musician and a record producer. I'm not a psychiatrist. I don't understand all that stuff. We all got problems. But there's a great book out called Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart. Did you see that? That book says the statute of limitations has expired on all childhood traumas. Get your stuff together and get on with your life, man. Stop whinin' about what's wrong, because everybody's had a rough time, in one way or another.

http://men.style.com/details/features/landing?id=content_9937

A video interview with CBS The Early Show:

http://www.cbs.com/thunder/player/t...er=tvcom&pid=HfSnTRwQ_d7qfs58nWIyj5RMTcS_e1wB

There is also a somewhat awkward video of an MSNBC interview with Brain Williams, that's no longer available in my territory, in which Quincy points out that Michael had lots of "pictures of blonde boys" in his house.

Personally, I think Michael and Quincy created some of the most memorable music together. Perhaps they wrestled with each other over who contributed to it most. Although my primary allegiance is to Michael, I do think it's possible for Quincy to have well-informed opinions about Michael. On a personal note, I will always be grateful to Quincy for providing the soundtrack to one of my all-time favorite films, the 1965 Gregory Peck thriller, Mirage.

Oh yah, I remember reading that! Then there is Fred Astaire telling Michael that he is 'one helluva dancer/mover'. Sammy Davis, Jr. saying that he wouldn't dare leave his tap shoes alone in a room with Michael. . . LOL! These are the creme de la creme praising Michael!

Oh yah, tell Quincy your comments, if you have any:

TWITTER
http://twitter.com/QuincyDJones

FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/QuincyJones

MYSPACE
http://www.myspace.com/quincyjones

Fred Astaire also said something along the lines: "I didn't want to die until I saw my heir. I saw Michael Jackson. Now I can die."

So much compliment for such a talentless guy. Strange, isn't it, Quincy?

There is also a somewhat awkward video of an MSNBC interview with Brain Williams, that's no longer available in my territory, in which Quincy points out that Michael had lots of "pictures of blonde boys" in his house.

What's wrong with Quincy?!? It sounds like he was trying to feed the fire. Horrible, horrible 'friend'!

Fred Astaire also said something along the lines: "I didn't want to die until I saw my heir. I saw Michael Jackson. Now I can die."

So much compliment for such a talentless guy. Strange, isn't it, Quincy?

Beautiful and truthful quote by Fred Astaire. I wish stuff like this would be printed in all the tributes to Michael and stuff. A lot of people just don't realize what Michael really represented.

Ugh. I guess he just saw some pics of Macaulay Culkin or something.

Back