R.Kelly Appreciation Thread

Thanks man, I've been neglecting the mixtape sites for awhile now, so thanks for the heads up.

loved his 90's work. r kelly 95 album is great but seemed to go down hill bar the odd good song after the R album.

Always will love R Kelly because of the songs he did in the 90s
R Kelly right now though, I dont know what hes playin at. Hes tryna stay with the times to much, he doesnt need to change simply because hes R Kelly. Go back to being the 90s Kells and I'll consider buying an album. Double Up was poor. Fourth Quarter saved itself by not gettin released. No need for him to use autotune either

Nobody beats R Kelly at his best when it comes down to RnB.

All personal feelings aside about him as a person, I must say I have enjoyed a lot of his music over the years. He is one of the best and most talented r&b artists to come out in the past 15+ years. Good singer and songwriter. Can't deny that he is talented. I haven't enjoyed most of his recent output though. The last song of his that I really loved was "Step In The Name of Love" . I wish he'd do more songs like that one.

Do you guys think Kells is a musical genius?

I've been listening to his albums all day and I can't help but think he is :D
I know the term "musical genius" is used so loosely nowadays but what do y'all think?

Nah, "genius" is a term that should be reserved for only the most elite of the elite, though Kells is the next best thing.

Just listened to "Supa Dupa Man" off the mixtape.... that is a great track, I'm surprised.

Provocative but not overly dirty, catchy chorus, nice rap hook at the end.... this should be as "hardcore" as Kelly goes, perfect 2K version of his 90's material.

Anyone else here thinks Loveland, if officially released, coulda been more widely recognized one of classic albums of this decade and beyond?

It's a damn shame it got bootlegged and then has never been physically released as one album. Some of the songs saw the light by being given to other artists (More And More, Make You Baby on Joe's album/I Need An Angel on Ruben Studdard's album) and through his own album Happy People/U Saved Me (Leap of Faith and Spirit), but...
we still don't have the official Loveland album CD in its entirety:(

All the songs off the album are fantastic. Soulful, laidback, lyrical. And vocally, it shows his vocal techniques best so far.

Here are two off the album.

Fly---sort of opera/musical-style I Believe I Can Fly remix.
The characters: God, Robert (R.Kelly's first name), R.Kelly's mother who passed away before 12 Play album was released/performed by Kelly Price)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSIsGJhJeSo

Somethings Never Change---Personally I call this one as an ode to Stevie Wonder. The overall vibe reminds me of some of his cheerful yet meaningful songs. And R.Kelly obviously emulates Stevie's vocal style at some points.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JiF4dkqhKE

Just listened to "Supa Dupa Man" off the mixtape.... that is a great track, I'm surprised.

Provocative but not overly dirty, catchy chorus, nice rap hook at the end.... this should be as "hardcore" as Kelly goes, perfect 2K version of his 90's material.

Yeah I think Supa Dupa Man and Tip the Waiter are real good songs off this mixtape. Still not enough to make me hyped over his new album.

And whats Loveland? Any links for download available?

The mixtape is Ok
I like Tip the Waiter
his voice didn't change a bit! So that's good!

I'm really loving 'happy people' right now.
I heard it the first time about a year ago but all I could remember of the lyrics was "what do we do when" LOL
I tried finding that song but it was just hopeless!
3 days ago they played it on the radio again, I finally found the song :D
I bought it on itunes and repeat it all the time...
Great song, melody, groove, definately my favourite right now!
I just can sit still when I play that song
"step to the left... step to the right..." :dance:

Yeah, classic R. Kelly right there. The last truly good album he's had, he's due another. There are songs he's done in between that I like, but not really what I'd call a solid album effort.

Hopefully 12 Play 4th Quarter will be solid.

Unfortunately both Mike and Kells have a stigma attached to them due to the trials they have been through. While I agree that Kelly is hugely talented, I don't think their paths should ever cross again, musically or otherwise. Imagine the field day the media would have with that collaboration. It's just too much of a bad PR move. I see that Kelly will be in London at the beginning of July, but I hope he won't be making an appearance at any of the TII concerts (especially at the first one on 13th July).

I love the song Ignition and I also love I Touched A Dream and The Storm is Over :)

Unfortunately both Mike and Kells have a stigma attached to them due to the trials they have been through. While I agree that Kelly is hugely talented, I don't think their paths should ever cross again, musically or otherwise. Imagine the field day the media would have with that collaboration. It's just too much of a bad PR move. I see that Kelly will be in London at the beginning of July, but I hope he won't be making an appearance at any of the TII concerts (especially at the first one on 13th July).

Doesn't the media always have a field day with anything R.Kelly and MJ related lol! I would love to see them work together again or even perform together :)

So what's the story with Loveland, was it a street album or a leaked unfinished album or something?

I'm glad "Heaven I Need a Hug" got a proper release on Chocolate Factory, it's one of my favourite songs.

EDIT: Oh, and good looking out with the download link, Superstition! :)

Has everyone checked out the end of the "Same Girl Remix" where he does his MJ impression? It starts at about 3:56

Lol, I've heard that! Anyway Kelz just touched down in my country 2 days ago. He said that his dream was to perform in a soccer stadium. I dnt know why he didn't? They booked him into a venue that carries only 9500 people. We're talking the most popular international act in South Africa here. Lost out in making more money, the way I see it

So what's the story with Loveland, was it a street album or a leaked unfinished album or something?

I'm glad "Heaven I Need a Hug" got a proper release on Chocolate Factory, it's one of my favourite songs.

EDIT: Oh, and good looking out with the download link, Superstition! :)
Somebody stole the unfinished songs that were supposed to be on the Loveland album, the songs got bootlegged and of course, got leaked on the internet. At that time, he had a wrong crew, you know the type of hangers-on you find later you shouldn't have trusted.

Back